Face up to your face plants.
Home
Massanutten 2020-21
8 posts from 4 users
Updated one month ago
Jump to Newest Post
marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

Yeah, I know it’s not even early season yet.  But there is a deadline for Massanutten season passes on August 31.  This season there are multiple deadlines between now and the end of Feb.

What’s new is that Mnut has a Family Pass.  Either a Full Pass with no restrictions or a Special Value Pass that’s not good on Saturdays from 9:00am-4:00pm but is good every night session.

I went ahead and got a Full Pass since I can get an owner’s discount on it.  One Saturday is breakeven, even at senior rates.  I’m going to get an Indy Pass when it becomes available next week, discounted because I have the Mnut pass. :-)

Anyone else thinking of skiing at Mnut this winter?

one month ago

I hope to ski there this winter. It’s only 30 min. from home for me. I was going to get the Ikon pass but didn’t because of covid-19 so I’ll ski close to home this winter. I had planned to make some road trips out west this winter since I retired this summer but decided to wait till next winter to see how the resorts handle the covid.

one month ago

Yes, I’ll have a season pass there this season. Still have to buy it, and do so before the date when prices go up. I am still deciding whether to do the family pass or just buy a pass for myself and my teenage son - my wife and daughter told me that they don’t think they are interested in doing more that 2 or 3 Mnut days this season. I still may go for the family pass for convenience, but this may depend on whether Mnut will be setting up some sort of check in as COVID mitigation measure  - if we would need to check in anyway then there is less of a convenience in having a pass.

one month ago

| Anyone else thinking of skiing at Mnut this winter?

​I am thinking about skiing Massanutten as I have been ever since I went in 2014! I loved the Lift 6 runs.

I was going to go in February with my oldest son, but he rolled his ankle so we skipped it.

Typically, I ski in Pennsylvania — I had the 4th and 5th grade ski pass for that son. My skiing friends are in Pennsylvania as well, so Massanutten is usually a non-starter.

Maybe this year - Mnut’s cause would be helped if they could get both Lift 6 runs open in December. One of the recent years, I’d have been there if they had.

— 

William

Don’t hate winter, use it

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

wgo wrote:

Yes, I’ll have a season pass there this season. Still have to buy it, and do so before the date when prices go up. I am still deciding whether to do the family pass or just buy a pass for myself and my teenage son - my wife and daughter told me that they don’t think they are interested in doing more that 2 or 3 Mnut days this season. I still may go for the family pass for convenience, but this may depend on whether Mnut will be setting up some sort of check in as COVID mitigation measure  - if we would need to check in anyway then there is less of a convenience in having a pass.

Are you thinking about a check-in for a temperature check?  That’s not too likely.  As I’ve read in discussions, it’s hard to get any sort of accurate temperature outdoors when it’s cold and people are bundled up.  No temperature checks were done at Perisher, the ski resort owned by Vail Resorts in Australia that is having a complete season.

In general what Mnut has done in recent years is to encourage people to buy tickets for all the activities online to avoid waiting in a line.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

wfyurasko wrote:

Maybe this year - Mnut’s cause would be helped if they could get both Lift 6 runs open in December. One of the recent years, I’d have been there if they had.

Mnut is always pushing to have DJ open by early December.  All depends on the weather for snowmaking.  The core trails are DJ off Lift 6, Showtime at least to mid-station off Lift 5, and Southern Comfort off the long beginner lift.  Paradice is always the last for snowmaking because it takes the most effort to get full coverage because it’s long and wide.  As I understand it, can’t run the fixed snowguns for DJ and Paradice at the same time.  More important to get Upper Showtime and Geronimo open for the holiday weeks in terms of the type of people who ski/board at Mnut.

It used to be rare for DJ to be open much before early Jan.  Fair to say that Mnut has added a lot more snowmaking power and water capacity in the last 5-10 years.  When daytime snowmaking is possible, only need 48-72 hours to build (or re-build) a base for the core trails.  Last season the only reason Mnut could stay open through the Jan and Feb hot spells was because they had built a really deep base on half of Southern Comfort and DJ.

one month ago

marzNC wrote:

Are you thinking about a check-in for a temperature check?  That’s not too likely.  As I’ve read in discussions, it’s hard to get any sort of accurate temperature outdoors when it’s cold and people are bundled up.  No temperature checks were done at Perisher, the ski resort owned by Vail Resorts in Australia that is having a complete season.

In general what Mnut has done in recent years is to encourage people to buy tickets for all the activities online to avoid waiting in a line.

Not a temp check. I was thinking more along the lines of a scenario where Mnut limits the number of skiers/boarders each day and requires some sort of reservation.

Agreed that buying tickets online would help, but there is still the issue of standing in line to get the actual lift ticket.

 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter
one month ago

wgo wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Are you thinking about a check-in for a temperature check?  That’s not too likely.  As I’ve read in discussions, it’s hard to get any sort of accurate temperature outdoors when it’s cold and people are bundled up.  No temperature checks were done at Perisher, the ski resort owned by Vail Resorts in Australia that is having a complete season.

In general what Mnut has done in recent years is to encourage people to buy tickets for all the activities online to avoid waiting in a line.

Not a temp check. I was thinking more along the lines of a scenario where Mnut limits the number of skiers/boarders each day and requires some sort of reservation.

Agreed that buying tickets online would help, but there is still the issue of standing in line to get the actual lift ticket.

 

For Perisher, Epic passholders had to make a reservation online in advance.  They needed to have a printout, but didn’t go to a ticket window to get a lift ticket.  Of course, that resort has RFID so the situation is a different.

Everything Mnut has done for summer activity check-in has been based on the idea of reducing the need for standing in any line.  That will carry over for winter activities as well.

For weekends, limiting capacity will be necessary for all ski resorts I think.  Might even extend to Fri and/or Mon where most kids are doing school online.

Ad: Seven Springs Mountain Resort

Snowcat got your tongue?
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.22 seconds