Montage Mountain
5 posts
5 users
4k+ views
cheechman32
January 27, 2005
Member since 09/12/2004 🔗
27 posts
I'm making a trip to see friends in the Pocono's. They've told me good things about Montage Mountain. I skied Camelback last time there and was impressed by their snowmaking but their crowds were pretty large. Anyone have firsthand experience at either resort. I'd appreciate your opinions.
TerpSKI
January 27, 2005
Member since 03/10/2004 🔗
167 posts
I've been to both and wouldn't return to either. Montage has only 2 or 3 decent runs (blacks). The rest of the mountain is extremely flat. Camelback is ok, but the crowds are pretty bad. I liked Montage better.

I think there are better choices in the Poconos.
JohnL
January 27, 2005
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Search the DCSki Forum. I recall a couple brief threads on Montage roughly 2-3 years ago.
tromano
January 27, 2005
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
I stopeed by montage on the way to points further north. The best thing about it is that it is 5 minutes off I-81 in Scranton, PA. So if you want to stop in for a few quick hours then it seems very convenient. Also you can stay for very cheap in the near by motels. I think there is a $47 pp ski / stay based on double occupancy at like a super8 motel or something. They advertise 1000' vertical. However the lodge is in the middle so its not continuous. There is enough there to keep you busy for an afternoon or morning while you visit friends.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 27, 2005
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

I think there are better choices in the Poconos.

I would guess this is referring to Elk Mtn, way up there a little north of Scranton (I think I heard technically that area is not the Poconos?). It has been favorably reported on in DCSki if you do a search.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.