Status of Davis Riverwalk project??
7 posts
5 users
3k+ views
RyanC
August 7, 2008
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
I haven't heard anything recently about what's going on with this project, but think it will be a GREAT thing for the area if it gets off the ground. Does anyone on here have any updates? I haven't really heard any new information on this either in the Valley or online for a while now. The billboard in Davis still says coming in 2008, but it doesn't look like that's happening.

In the 5 years that I've had my place on the 'northern rim' of CV I've noticed that Davis and Thomas are pretty much "discovered" now. Hopefully there's enough momentum for this project to get completed. Personally, I think that developments like the proposed Davis Riverwalk are exactly what the area needs. Davis & Thomas are cool towns, and could (if the right steps are taken) easily become destinations in and of themselves.

Does anyone know the scoop on this? I've also heard rumors a while back about something going on between Davis & Thomas (i.e. riverfront bike trail or a housing development, etc). Don't know if that's happening or not. It should be interesting to see what happens with Tuscan Ridge. I wonder if that development will be annexed by the Town of Davis?
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
August 7, 2008
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Along with that, the Allegheny Highlands Trail that starts in Elkins and now reaches Hencricks, will be going through Davis, providing for intermodal transport and an alternative to Corridor H. It will also connect to Blackwaters Falls State Park.

I think that things have slowed down a bit in the Davis Riverwalk project. If Robert C. Byrd has a few more years in his belt, consider the project done. Even if the economic downturn makes its presence known.

Who knows, in a few years, you can bike to Davis along the new trail, stroll on the Riverwalk, stop for lunch next to the river on a terraced coffee house, get your Armani and Patagonia outdoor necessities, and admire nature without the wroom and noise of trailer trucks next door.
Roger Z
August 7, 2008
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
Yeah I think I asked about this last year and one of the folks in Davis had a good response... I was curious about it too, it looked like a really neat proposal for downtown. If Davis was able to take advantage of the Blackwater as it wound through town, that would be a big boost for the community!
davisriverwalk
August 7, 2008
Member since 10/2/2007 🔗
13 posts
Hi Ryan, developer of Riverwalk here...We did delay Riverwalk Shops (the old Shopnsave being converted into 3 retails plus spa) until this market corrects a bit. Instead we are renovating several older properties in the town itself and the old BW Auto Care on the RW tract. I'm also helping with the Riverfront Park because we need it to be progressing in conjunction with RW. We are only seeking retail lease tenants at this stage. Billboard says "Future Circa 2008" because the master planning is going on now; residences won't be for a couple of years. There is a revised master plan out last week, it is online a few postings back in the blog on http://www.davisriverwalk.com.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Pioneering is a slow and risky process, but all long term indicators are good.
Pete
RyanC
August 10, 2008
Member since 11/28/2003 🔗
160 posts
 Originally Posted By: davisriverwalk
Hi Ryan, developer of Riverwalk here...We did delay Riverwalk Shops (the old Shopnsave being converted into 3 retails plus spa) until this market corrects a bit. Instead we are renovating several older properties in the town itself and the old BW Auto Care on the RW tract. I'm also helping with the Riverfront Park because we need it to be progressing in conjunction with RW. We are only seeking retail lease tenants at this stage. Billboard says "Future Circa 2008" because the master planning is going on now; residences won't be for a couple of years. There is a revised master plan out last week, it is online a few postings back in the blog on http://www.davisriverwalk.com.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Pioneering is a slow and risky process, but all long term indicators are good.
Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the info. I can speak for myself and many others who have 2nd homes in, and frequent, Canaan Valley and say that we're looking forward to it!

Is there any way that individuals can get involved with the Riverfront Park (clean-up, events, monetary donations, etc)? You can send me a PM if you'd prefer.
davisriverwalk
August 15, 2008
Member since 10/2/2007 🔗
13 posts
You bet Ryan - the town of Davis created the Parks & Recreation Commission to own and develop the park, and it qualifies for tax deductible giving. They have raised about $20K over the past few months. You'll notice some new grading, trails and benches if you go back there. This is their site: http://www.daviswva.com/
To help make it happen folks can donate to the Parks Commission via the info on that web site above. Also - during Leaf Peepers Festival there is a 5K Run put on by Tucker Community Foundation http://www.tuckerfoundation.net in which teams raise money and race for their causes. The team called 'Riverfront Ramblers' is headed by Sandy Schmiedeknecht at qsandy@mountain.net and their sole cause is the Riverfront Park. Supporters could pledge $ to the team's cause and/or run in the race September 27 for $10 (half goes to the cause).

Eventually there will be organized volunteer days, but for now there are several small groups that just get out there and garden, move rocks, cut grass etc. It has been amazing to see this park get legs under it over the past year!

PS - Friends of the Blackwater http://www.saveblackwater.org is celebrating National Public Lands day by planting a few hundred red spruce and canaan fir saplings on 9/28. They'll start in the Riverfront Park and keep planting along the trail to Blackwater Falls.
snapdragon
October 21, 2020
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

This is the latest on the Davis Riverfront.  The FB page for Davis Riverwalk.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/davisriverwalk/posts/

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.