646 posts
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 20, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

chaga wrote:

this is hilarious....

http://unofficialnetworks.com/edition-investigates-pot-smoking-skiers-128836/

And really really stupid and dangerous!!!!!

scottyb
February 21, 2014
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts

HI larious or not those SBs are douche bags.  Did not look like the camera crew and producer had to spin it up.  DUMB!

Reisen
February 21, 2014
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

This raises an interesting question of whether someone could be drug tested after a serious accident on the slopes.  As the father of an almost-four year old who is learning this year, I can only imagine how I would react if a skier or snowboarder who was baked out of his mind ran into her.

My wife's federal agency issued a memo to their employees the other day, basically saying "Don't even think about smoking pot, regardless of whate state you are, because it's still breaking a federal law, and you work for a federal agency".

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 21, 2014
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Just what we need more intoxicated people. I don't drink and ski and I don't believe it is good idea to get stoned and ski either. We always see the slope under the lift litered with beer cans on Saturday morning in the Laurel Highlands. It seems to be a PA tradition to throw beer cans off the lift. And the resort owners do nothing about it.

Just what we need drunk AND stoned snow boarders. Drinking, and if you want to smoke pot, should be an apres ski activity.

Crush
February 21, 2014 (edited February 21, 2014)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

wrong, guys. i ski straight but a lot of my ski friends out west like to smoke before a run (and a few in the mid-a's) .

most stoners that ride or ski generally (just like driving) ski sort of slow , loose and goofy. stop in the trees, check things out, think it is awesome, move on etc.

the people you have to worry about are the ones jacked-up on Red Bull and are totally agro - you won't find a whole lot of agressive skiers or riders taking a bong hit now and then.

and btw - i've seen people drunk out of their minds but i have never seen some one "stoned out of their minds" - ever. if some one does too much you just get dizzy and want to lie down - unlike booze that clips your judgement and makes you think you are awesome - like 1 out or 4 people at Seven Springs on at Saturday night.

fishnski
February 21, 2014
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Hear..Hear Crush...I have experienced your wisdom...good post!

Crush
February 24, 2014
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

so jjust to counter-balance this, over the weekend my good friend "N" skied with me. She said "this is the first time I've skied straight for years!"

She said it was one of the best ski days she ever had. So maybe put the one-hit down every once in a while?

scottyb
February 24, 2014
559 posts

Crush wrote:

She said it was one of the best ski days she ever had. So maybe put the one-hit down every once in a while?

When you get older this statement will make even more sense.

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2014
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

I'm heading to CO in 2 weeks.  I'm curious to see what it will be like with the stoners, especially since it's spring break time.  If I find it crazy, I will vote with my wallet and go somewhere else next year (Utah, Jacskon Hole, ...).  I work too hard for my money to waste it at a place that isn't safe.

TomH
February 26, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Good plan.  Better at Alta with a bunch of middle and late age stoners with hints of senility than young stoners in Colorado!

Girlboarder247
April 9, 2014
Member since 01/2/2007 🔗
110 posts

Thank goodness a reputable source gives the other side of this story!!! My personal favorite line from this follow up, "The dudes they interviewed were unquestionably gapers from Texas or Massachusetts, hyped and mouthy on legal weed and altitude."

http://www.powdermag.com/stories/shacktivities/

Voila
April 15, 2014
Member since 12/17/2011 🔗
352 posts

Some of my friends have back in the 80's wouldn't go out surfking on big waves until they were stoned. There's only been one incident - but nothing more serious than swallowing couple of liters of sea water (note: they were stoned, but made the distinction between drinking sea water and breathing sea water). 

Mind you: this incident happened (perhaps) more because they were also drunk. 

The result: don't drink and drive, AND don't drink and surf. 

Disclaimer: I hope you find this amusing, and don't take it too litterally - they are just having fun. I personally would rather ski on a mountain full of "stoners" rather than ski with a mountain full of out-of-control-beginners. 

scottyb
April 15, 2014 (edited April 15, 2014)
559 posts

quit your drowning and watch this viddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=495BFCFiUm8&list=FL43nJz7kDO80p1Rz0DQSTsw

where is that embed button?

bob
April 17, 2014 (edited April 17, 2014)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

For years I've smelled the unmistakable aroma of marijuana being smoked by people on chairlift chairs ahead of me  at Keystone, Breck, Vail and Beaver Creek.

It's not been any worse this year than in years past when pot was illegal. In fact it seems that it's less prevelent than it was in the past.

bob
April 17, 2014 (edited April 17, 2014)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Easter Sunday is coming up -- on 4/20. 4/20 is a day of celebration in Colorado and not because of Easter.. Lots of the pot shops are discounting their wares on on the 19th and 20th in celebration of the day.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.