How Best To Store Ski/Snowboarding Equipment
9 posts
8 users
1k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 4, 2014 (edited April 4, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

How do fellow DCSkiers store their snow toys over the long unwinter season, most folks do not buy all new equipment each winter season. Is there a best way or have we all been told of or are following a methodology that was explained by an "expert" as the only right way.  Have methods or equipment changed since I learned to never store skis on a cement floor, rather hang them vertically between two pegs on the wall?  If hanging, does one place a strap around the tails to prevent flaring apart?  Engage the ski brakes together?  Wax edges or leave as is?   Store boots loosely buckled, unbuckled??  What about waterproof pants, jackets, helmets?

what's your preferred method and why?  Any bad experiences in past.  Methods that must be avoided?

The Colonel

56fish
April 4, 2014
Member since 11/4/2011 🔗
73 posts

The Colonel wrote:

How do fellow DCSkiers store their snow toys over the long unwinter season, most folks do not buy all new equipment each winter season. Is there a best way or have we all been told of or are following a methodology that was explained by an "expert" as the only right way.  Have methods or equipment changed since I learned to never store skis on a cement floor, rather hang them vertically between two pegs on the wall?  If hanging, does one place a strap around the tails to prevent flaring apart?  Engage the ski brakes together?  Wax edges or leave as is?   Store boots loosely buckled, unbuckled??  What about waterproof pants, jackets, helmets?

what's your preferred method and why?  Any bad experiences in past.  Methods that must be avoided?

The Colonel

I'd try to get the skis tuned/hot waxed...hung by tips or, even standing against wall in a dry area.  Trying to maintain camber with recent equipment pretty much a non issue.  Buckle boots snugly...have seen many struggling to buckle boots early season after boots got used to being free all summer.  Have apparel cleaned and, place in closet

JohnL
April 4, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

The cement advice always struck me as dubious. Is cement any worse than the hard wood racks that skis sit on in ski stores?

And some "experts" also claim don't leave skis standing on wooden floors.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
April 4, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

JohnL wrote:

The cement advice always struck me as dubious. Is cement any worse than the hard wood racks that skis sit on in ski stores?

And some "experts" also claim don't leave skis standing on wooden floors.

Always heard problem with skis & cement had to do with moisture being drawn into ski core !??

Droogie
April 5, 2014
Member since 03/22/2012 🔗
76 posts

You guys are overthinking it. Put them in a closet that is dry and call it good. Storage wax is extra work. 

scottyb
April 5, 2014 (edited April 5, 2014)
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts

You can keep'em at my house.

Or the DC Q&P method is valid.

http://s189.photobucket.com/user/ColoradoSkiPosse/media/Ski%20Tech%20Stuff/qandp.mp4.html

kwillg6
April 7, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

I just put wax on the edges to keep rust from forming and back the bindings down to a lower din. (remember to set it back next season and I mark on a piece of tape attached to the skis how many turns I backed them down).  Boots get fastened tightly and thoroughly dried out and any loose buckles, etc.. tightened down.  

I usually only keep skis about 150 skiing days and once my boots begin leaking, I replace them.  Specialty skis keep longer because I don't kill them as quick and with the rocker designs, I doubt of they wear out as soon since there is no camber to flatten out from use.  

bob
April 7, 2014
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Other than the things already mentioned, I take my binding settings to 0. There's no point in keeping the springs at full tension during 6-8 months of non-use.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 7, 2014
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

I look at skis almost as a life support item - my pilot way of looking at the world.  A bad ski can end my life.  So at the end of every season (tomorrow), I'll take them to the shop to put a Summer wax coat that will cover the edges, zero out the Din setting, and hang them in a dry closet.  Before each season, I always have a release check and full tune before using them.  Boots are dried, fastened and placed in the boot bags.  The Bluetooth helmets are also charged fully, same as the GoPro.

As to clothes, I have five complete ski suits.  All of them get washed in NikWax Tech Wash and then re-Gortexed with Tech-In.  As a matter of fact I'm doing that right now.  Then dried and individually covered in a garment cover.  More than I need to do but I want them to last.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.