Booking late Dec. Trip to Timberline. Where to stay?
9 posts
5 users
1k+ views
Gill
September 8, 2014
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts

Howdy, I'm booking an late December trip to Timberline and I was wondering which runs they consistently open early. I believe Salamander is one of the earliest (usually). Is this right? If so, looks like the best slopeside stuff would be Northface or Northwoods.

There are also some houses available on Winterset and a couple in Winterhaven (upper Dew Drop and Twister). Would these be a better bet? It would stink to pay for slopeside housing when the slopes aren't open yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

-=Gill=-

Norsk
September 8, 2014
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Best bets are Salamander and Winterset (probably in that order).  The resorts works very very hard to get both of those open as soon as possible.  Winterhaven is more of a risk -- Dew Drop can open early, but Twister often is not open until mid-January.

kwillg6
September 8, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Slopeside housing along sally is usually a best bet.  Otherwise, depending on how many in your party, there is winterset or northwoods condos.  Winterset us usually opened by Christmas week but sometimes does not get open if weather doesn't cooperate. Lower dew drop is even riskier as far a s getting open early.  The trails that open and the order that they make snow is Woods hole, whiteout, white lightening, salamander, off the wall, upper dew drop to lower almost heaven.  If all of that gets open by the holiday week, they have done a good job. I've only seen more open on rare occasions with cold temps and/or natural snow. 

kwillg6
September 8, 2014
2,066 posts

Slopeside housing along sally is usually a best bet.  Otherwise, depending on how many in your party, there is winterset or northwoods condos.  Winterset us usually opened by Christmas week but sometimes does not get open if weather doesn't cooperate. Lower dew drop is even riskier as far a s getting open early.  The trails that open and the order that they make snow is Woods hole, whiteout, white lightening, salamander, off the wall, upper dew drop to lower almost heaven.  If all of that gets open by the holiday week, they have done a good job. I've only seen more open on rare occasions with cold temps and/or natural snow. 

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
September 8, 2014 (edited September 8, 2014)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

kwillg6 wrote:

though be caerful, I have been there the last three presidents weekends and Twister has not been close to open yet.  If I really had to have slopeside at Christmas, I would avoid anything above Winterset..  Otoh, they do have nice houses over there and I've never had trouble parking at tline so off-slope has never been an issue.

crgildart
September 8, 2014 (edited September 8, 2014)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

We've stayed at Le Hermatage twice.  JimK handled the details but it's always been well maintained and fully functional for slopeside accomidations. It isn't RIGHT ON Salamander, but it is about a block over/short walk to the snow and feeds out near the bottom.  The drawback of staying off Salamander is they don't have lights on the upper part so technically you have to ski back before sundown or hike up fro the base because  the run is closed at dark.

kwillg6
September 9, 2014
2,066 posts

I could always rent you my house in Yoakum (97 Stoneybrook Court) if you need to drive.  We are about 800m from the hill which is just a bit too long for hiking in ski boots. It's booked through the holidays though.  If location is important, Northwoods is the best bet if you don't want hot tub, etc...You can rent slopeside and not worry about hiking.  Problem is that a lot of owneres do not rent.  I think there are 4 rental units in B building and maybe a couple in C, both being slopeside.  But these units only sleep up to 8 and you will have only 2 parking spaces for a 2 br unit.   

Gill
September 9, 2014
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts

Thanks everyone for the great information. We really need slopeside access (my kids all have food allergies, so no lodge meals). We booked Northface #43 - near the bottom of Salamander and relatively close to the lodge (kids mountain camp area). The place looks awesome and the fact that it's stumbling distance from the bar can't be a bad thing, right?

I'll be up there Dec. 26-30 - if anyone is interested in meeting up for some turns!!!

kwillg6
September 10, 2014
2,066 posts

Gill wrote:

Thanks everyone for the great information. We really need slopeside access (my kids all have food allergies, so no lodge meals). We booked Northface #43 - near the bottom of Salamander and relatively close to the lodge (kids mountain camp area). The place looks awesome and the fact that it's stumbling distance from the bar can't be a bad thing, right?

I'll be up there Dec. 26-30 - if anyone is interested in meeting up for some turns!!!

The Mrs and I will be there.  We will be in the ski school corral area at 9:45, 11, 1;30 and 3 every day looking for our lessons to teach.  We have the house but it's rented for the holidays and will be staying in our condo at G6 Northwoods.  BTW, #43 is a nice place.  

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.