Planning Trip out of Mid-Atlantic
14 posts
10 users
2k+ views
rbrtlav
September 14, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

So, I've been skiing for a little while on the PA and WV resorts. I'm hoping to take a trip up to New England or out West sometime this winter. I was kind of thinking of trying to do Stratton or Breckinridge. 

I would consider myself an intermediate skier, I will ski pretty much any trail at Liberty, Whitetail, Wisp, 7 Springs, or other local resorts, but would probably be hesitant to try a 2+ mile diamond at this point.  I was hoping to do 4-5 days and would like to avoid any traditional horrible snow drives out west.

So what would people reccommend as far as resorts and ticket packages that don't cost a fortune? It would probably be me and 1 or 2 other people, so not a huge group.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 15, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

You've identified two places known for lots of intermediate terrain, but also healthy crowds.  Stratton should be good during any non-holiday midweek and probably tolerable most weekends except perhaps Xmas/NYs, MLK, and Presidents.  I've never been to Breckenridge, but if I'm not mistaken it is draws the most skier visits of any resort in the country, so it might be best to go there mid-week in Jan or Feb, non-holiday.  A lot of folks might suggest Utah because of the proximity of good skiing to the airport, but tell us what else you are looking for in your trip;  resort town, slope side accommodations, airport accessibility, scenic beauty regardless of remoteness, quaint smaller mtn with light crowds, dirtbag cheap but good, etc.?

jimmy
September 15, 2014 (edited September 15, 2014)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

So, I've been skiing for a little while on the PA and WV resorts. I'm hoping to take a trip up to New England or out West sometime this winter. I was kind of thinking of trying to do Stratton or Breckinridge. 

I would consider myself an intermediate skier, I will ski pretty much any trail at Liberty, Whitetail, Wisp, 7 Springs, or other local resorts, but would probably be hesitant to try a 2+ mile diamond at this point.  I was hoping to do 4-5 days and would like to avoid any traditional horrible snow drives out west.

So what would people reccommend as far as resorts and ticket packages that don't cost a fortune? It would probably be me and 1 or 2 other people, so not a huge group.

Do both. Where are you coming from, NoVA, MD?

First make a quick three or four day trip up to Mount Snow in Vermont, 7 hour drive from Hagerstown, MD. They have a good variety of advanced-intermediate terrain, i think enough to entertain your group for three or four days. They should have as good early season conditions as anyplace in VT (except Steau ;) ).

Next, fly to Utah, rent a car, stay in Sandy or better yet up Big Cottonwood at Solitude. Ski Brighton and Solitude. You will find enough terrain here to keep you entertained for a couple of weeks but if you are all skiers and want to be able to tell your friends you skied at Alta, then go to Alta for a day.

rbrtlav
September 15, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

JimK wrote:

You've identified two places known for lots of intermediate terrain, but also healthy crowds.  Stratton should be good during any non-holiday midweek and probably tolerable most weekends except perhaps Xmas/NYs, MLK, and Presidents.  I've never been to Breckenridge, but if I'm not mistaken it is draws the most skier visits of any resort in the country, so it might be best to go there mid-week in Jan or Feb, non-holiday.  A lot of folks might suggest Utah because of the proximity of good skiing to the airport, but tell us what else you are looking for in your trip;  resort town, slope side accommodations, airport accessibility, scenic beauty regardless of remoteness, quaint smaller mtn with light crowds, dirtbag cheap but good, etc.?

I was hoping for close to the airport, so if I have more choices in Utah, which it sounds like is the case I am more than fine with that. From what I understand parts of Utah are dry counties, I don't need a huge apres ski town but I would like to have an option to find a place to relax and grab a drink after a day on the slopes. I would say I have a moderate budget to work with and I think I have enough credit cards points for the flight, which opens up the budget a bit for the skiing. 

jimmy wrote:

Do both. Where are you coming from, NoVA, MD?

First make a quick three or four day trip up to Mount Snow in Vermont, 7 hour drive from Hagerstown, MD. They have a good variety of advanced-intermediate terrain, i think enough to entertain your group for three or four days. They should have as good early season conditions as anyplace in VT (except Steau ;) ).

Next, fly to Utah, rent a car, stay in Sandy or better yet up Big Cottonwood at Solitude. Ski Brighton and Solitude. You will find enough terrain here to keep you entertained for a couple of weeks but if you are all skiers and want to be able to tell your friends you skied at Alta, then go to Alta for a day.

I'm from MD, north of DC and only about 45 minutes from Hagerstown. I was looking at stratton possibly because it is heavily discounted with the snowtime season pass, but I have aso heard great things about Mt. Snow. I'm not sure I can swing both trips this winter though between work and evening grad school, realistically think taking off more than one week might be difficult. 

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
September 16, 2014 (edited September 16, 2014)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Partying and drinking in SLC and the ski areas and canyons is no problem in this, the 21st, century.  The natives are very entrepreneurial and if there is money to be made from tourists they will make it.  I have been impressed with the work ethic of Utahns. 

Your ski $ and certainly your lodging $ go further in UT than in CO.  And the terrain and snow are better as well, IMHO.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 16, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Stratton and Mt Snow are pretty similar IMHO and definitely a step up from mid-Atlantic skiing, so if you decide a road trip to VT is best for your budget then applying those Snowtime discounts at Stratton might be a good strategy:  http://www.libertymountainresort.com/mountain/tickets-passes-equipment/stratton-mountain-benefits.aspx

If you find a good points deal for cheap airfare I like Jimmy's suggestion of Solitude and Brighton, UT.  Believe you can get to them via mass transit/bus from SLC airport.  They are neighbors with some trails connecting, although not under one ownership.  They have great intermediate terrain and a lower key vibe.  Solitude has an upscale little condo village with a few restaurants/bars.  Brighton's base lodge area has an après ski bar (Molly Green's Grill).  There is relatively cheap slopeside lodging at Brighton Lodge, which I've looked at when skiing, but have not stayed at.  It is not fancy, but location is to die for:  http://www.brightonresort.com/planyourtrip.lodging.html

Park City, UT is a bigger resort next to The Canyons and Deer Valley that would give you a full-fledged resort town experience.  They've recently resolved ownership issues and the trio represent one of the major ski vacation destinations in the US.  However, I don't think Park City has quite the same amount of natural snow or rustic beauty as Sol-Bright.

jimmy
September 16, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Haha rbrtlav, two weeks would be nice. I meant that there is enough terrain for two weeks, oh you know what i mean but, yeah Brighton. I love the vibe at Brighton. They have a great variety of terrrain, the front is trails thru the woods, Millicent is big, open. Spend four or five days in BCC and your crew will feel like locals by the end of your stay.

SCWVA
September 16, 2014 (edited September 16, 2014)
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

I am not a fan of Stratton.   Stratton is just like Snowshoe, but its on steriods.  I'd drive another 30-40 minutes and stay at Okemo.  You can get a ski-in/out condo package at Okemo for the same price as going to Snowshoe. Plus, Ludlow is a great little town.  From Ludlow, you can do day trips to Kmart & Pico

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 17, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Have you slept at high altitude before?  Meaning over 7000 feet.  One reason I go to Utah instead of Colorado is because there is plenty of good skiing at a lower altitude.  Can sleep for relatively little money in SLC at 4500 ft and still have lots of ski options with only a short drive (30 min to LCC/BCC, 45 min to Park City).

For driving north, you might consider Gore.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 17, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Have you skied at Blue Knob?

bob
September 17, 2014
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Blue Knob is a good suggesion as it is a step up from Liberty, et all at least in terms of traill length and total vert. Elk, Montage, and Blue montains would be the same and nice tune ups for bigger mountains.

Out east we always had fun flying into Burlington, staying in Burlington and then doing Stowe or Sugarbush.. A fun thing to do would be to take the fairy across lower Lake Champlaign and then hit Whiteface. The fairy is fun when the wind is out of the north and whipping up BIG waves on Champlaign.

If you decide on Colorado, the big name resorts can get cowded and lift tickets get very expensive. Alternatives would be Loveland or A-Basin, both of which are still sellng four packs that keep the lift prices very reasonable. Unfortunately, neither have lodging  so you'd have to stay in Georgetown or Frisco. If your choicse would be  between Breck or Keystone, I'd pick Keystone. It's intermediate terrain is better /longer and it is far less crowded than Breck. If you have never stayed at altitiude, you might want to take a prescription drug called Diamox, which will minimize any problems you might encounter with the high altitude.

marzNC wrote:

Have you skied at Blue Knob?

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
September 19, 2014
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

If you only have one trip and west is an option then do it.   No comparison.  You might not come back.  Any place mentioned so far would be great.  Just do it 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
September 20, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I took my first "out west" trip last year.  I tagged along with 3 guys to Park City, UT.  We stayed in a 3 BR condo just below the town lift at Park City.  Flew out on a Wed and came back on a Sun.  We skied PCMR day one, Canyons day two and Deer Valley day three.  Not sure what you consider a fortune ......

Here's a break down of my costs.

• 400 - RT air on Southwest to SLC (Free bags)
  • 400 - Lodging (1600 / 4 guys) we used vrbo and rented from a private owner.
  • 90 - RT shuttle from SLC to Park City
  • 300 - Lift Tix (approx)

Food / Booze / Misc is variable based on what you like.  

We used the free shuttle system to get from resort to resort.  We were walking distance to the bars and restaurants which made things easy.

Definitely worth every penny I spent.  I'm hoping to do Colorado this year. 

Reisen
September 24, 2014
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I took my first "out west" trip last year.  I tagged along with 3 guys to Park City, UT.  We stayed in a 3 BR condo just below the town lift at Park City.  Flew out on a Wed and came back on a Sun.  We skied PCMR day one, Canyons day two and Deer Valley day three.  Not sure what you consider a fortune ......

Here's a break down of my costs.

• 400 - RT air on Southwest to SLC (Free bags)
  • 400 - Lodging (1600 / 4 guys) we used vrbo and rented from a private owner.
  • 90 - RT shuttle from SLC to Park City
  • 300 - Lift Tix (approx)

Food / Booze / Misc is variable based on what you like.  

We used the free shuttle system to get from resort to resort.  We were walking distance to the bars and restaurants which made things easy.

Definitely worth every penny I spent.  I'm hoping to do Colorado this year. 

This is a great breakdown, but if you buy discount lift tickets (either in SLC, or via someplace like Liftopia), you should be able to cut $100 off that lift ticket price.  Part of the allure of Utah is that day tickets are significantly cheaper than Colorado.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.