Snow-n-Cold Futures
185 posts
30 users
12k+ views
fishnski
November 3, 2014
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Its a clickin...thur nite/fri shot...sat nite/sun shot...then a very large mass of cold air to settle down later on the 11th till we dont know till we get closer but it looks pretty serious....stay tuned!
fishnski
November 3, 2014
3,530 posts
Oh...all input greatly appreciated...links maps commentary opinions hearsay...rumurs...ect!...u can heckle..hijack..poo paw anything goes..this is the no judgement zone...its all good...so come on in!
fishnski
November 4, 2014
3,530 posts
With Americanwx being another of a long list of folks calling for a bullush winter id say that its a good bet... Everything that I have read says that with a weak to moderate El Nino that has been fcasted we usually get off to a slow start here in the East but this Nov seems to be coming on strong!.....I hope this early start doesnt peter out into a mild Dec but im at least confident on a cold n snowy Jan and Feb and hopefully into my fav...a snowy March!.... Nowadays im moving around so much I dont use my pc's and only use my SPhone which I know how to use less than my PC which isnt very much but hopefully I can make this link works which is what C Bailey of KY wx posted overnite...shows the 2 cold shots..with a few inches of snow for the western front areas and into the large dome of cold coming in next week which im hoping gets SS..Wisp..and 7springs up and blasting.....http://weather.bloginky.com/
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
November 4, 2014
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

NOAA is not quite as bullish on cold weather for the mid-Atlantic...

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2014/20141016_winteroutlook.html

Cold weather and snow now or next week is nice, but we all know where we are and it is not yet winter in the Mid-Atlantic. I would rather it be 90 degress now and then have cold when it counts, starting on or about Nov 19 so snow making can get started and the lake effect machine can be turned on.  Weather patterns seem to last for about a month, so we don't want the west-to-east weather pattern to return in later November or early December....unless we want to go fishing in the Outer Banks.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
fishnski
November 4, 2014
3,530 posts
I agree pretty much with your thoughts Mr Smith..I will add there are much worse things than late fall fishing in the Outer Banks!....Speaking of the Lakes...they are still way below ave in temps so any lake Effect will have to involve very cold shots and the LE season will be shortened this year.
November 4, 2014
1,576 posts

I had a very memorable 2-day fishing charter trip out of Hatteras back in 2007. Four of us caught well over 400 lbs of fish in very rough seas. And somehow I did not get sea sick. But yes you are correct, the Outer Banks is a very special place...the Almost Heaven of the east coastal area. I hope to return one day and fish again.

November 4, 2014
1,576 posts

Check this out from the Kentucky Weather Center....my favorite local weather site...

Some Interesting Analog Years

Posted on November 4, 2014 by Chris Bailey

Good afternoon, gang. We know about the cold on the way later this week into next week, but what about later in the month into December? I took a peek at the GFS Ensemble analog composite for the upcoming pattern.

Check out the years that match”¦

Analogs1976/77 shows up three times on the list and that was a legendary winter. 2002/03 is on there twice and was a cold and snowy winter. 1959/60 featured blockbuster snows in February. 1989 gave us the coldest December ever with 2000 not too far behind. 1962/63 was just flat out a brutal winter.

If we put all the years together, here’s how November looked”¦

NovemberAnd December”¦

DecemberThat is a ton of cold showing up should the pattern continue along the same lines as the analog years.

Another update comes your way this evening. Take care.

fishnski
November 4, 2014
3,530 posts
Good stuff Snowsmith...I cannot figure out how to post any of that stuff from my Sphone...I user to be able to from my old ph and on the old site...was trying to post a pic of a 27 inch Redfish I caught last week on Masonboro Island...southern banks.....yeh.....76/77 was probably the coldest winter I can remember...the whole friggin Chesapeake froze over!.......Joe Bastardi and Wxrisk post good images on thier facebook pages....I can usually beat those guys to the punch just watching each wx model run but im a lamo supreme so thx Snowsmith and all other future posters... ....id like to think of this thread as Trivago or Kayak...get all the info out there on one site!.....i should patten that...
fishnski
November 4, 2014
3,530 posts
One of my go to wx sites is Rays Wx center out of Boone Nc...a southern slant on wx events...another one that I dont follow is i thk its called...Capitol wx gang....JohnL followed them...speaking of the #1 poster DCski has ever known...where u at Buddy?...hope things are well with ya bud...
Tucker
November 4, 2014 (edited November 4, 2014)
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts

Fish, actually I will be speeking for John L until his return, as his acting  press agent...he has reviewed my qualifications and he has noted my job skills/qualifications...John is doing well and focusing on pow slaying missions for the 2014-2015 season.

fishnski
November 4, 2014
3,530 posts
Ur always welcome Tucker...Luvs all ur posts...u got ur own thing going..sooooo......untie the duck tape and let JL out of ur storm celler!
rbrtlav
November 4, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

fishnski wrote:

...shows the 2 cold shots..with a few inches of snow for the western front areas and into the large dome of cold coming in next week which im hoping gets SS..Wisp..and 7springs up and blasting.....http://weather.bloginky.com/

Looking at some of the very extended forecasts it looks like 7 springs, wisp, and some of the other PA resorts could potentially make snow nightly from mid next week through thanksgiving.... what are the odds that any of these resorts jumps on the opprotunity for an early opening?  I have passes at the SnowTime resorts.... but I know I'd me more than willing to take a drive for mid november snow!

Of course forecasts can change... but we can always hope 

fishnski
November 4, 2014
3,530 posts
Luv ur response. And Obs RB...lets keep tracking it!
fishnski
November 5, 2014 (edited November 5, 2014)
3,530 posts
Good snowmaking Wx but not much natural unless something changes in the cards for lets say..the next 12 days......here is a snow fcast going out 6 days....models have backed off a little on amounts.....copy n paste...........http://grib2.com/gfs/WINTER_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_10-1_144HR.gif................... Oh PS....ck out the snowcover thats going to be laid down with the incoming cold....snow breeds more cold n snow!.........................PS part 2.....I hope I didnt offend anyone by calling JohnL the #1 Dcski poster but he actually has more posts than anyone else...i thk thats right?.....Really are some awesome posters here over the years...I think that. I am like 2nd ir 3rd in the amount of posts but even ill admit that mine are a lot of. Quantity with a little bit of "stirrin the puddin" high..or lowlights if u will...lol....JL on the other hand walks the walk and gives us a great talk....shout out to the retired RogerZ...he might be 2nd place in total pists...he was first but got hitched..got soft and moved on!
SCWVA
November 5, 2014
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

fishnski wrote:

........yeh.....76/77 was probably the coldest winter I can remember...the whole friggin Chesapeake froze over!...........

This was back when everyone feared the coming ice age and margarine was good for you.  How times have changed.

fishnski
November 5, 2014
3,530 posts
Ahhhhhhhh...the good ole days of Global cooling.............."Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" ”“ Richard Feynman
fishnski
November 5, 2014
3,530 posts
https://mobile.twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/530154157668200448/photo/1
fishnski
November 6, 2014 (edited November 6, 2014)
3,530 posts
The Berring Strait isn't exactly a tranquil region, but what is about to happen may set a new all-time record for the strongest storm the area has seen since at least the 1950s. In other words: Fishermen need to get the heck out of there. Now. SEE ALSO: How Typhoon Nuri is changing the weather forecast in North America........(forcing really cold air to midwest and east for mid Nov on)........ Computer models have been signaling for days that the remnants of what is now Typhoon Nuri ”” once the second-most intense tropical cyclone on record this season ”” will undergo a transition into an extratropical storm system as it moves northeast, away from Japan, over the next few days. As it does so, the storm will likely encounter an unusually intense North Pacific jet stream that is in a favorable position to give it a major injection of intensity ”” like a storm that drinks a six-pack of Red Bull. Other factors will also aid in intensifying the remnants of Nuri.
fishnski
November 6, 2014
3,530 posts
They say a butterfly can in a small way of course..can alter wind and wx....think what a storm like this does...superfly!
fishnski
3,530 posts
Snow guns should be blasting for real on the 12th....lets see how long it lasts.........SS will probably turn them back on later tonite as a quick cold shot with a little snow moving in...
AndyGene
November 6, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

FishNSki,

I am going to the Bengals/Browns game tonight in Cincinnati.  Could you give me advice on what the weather will be like?  The news says there is 30% chance of rain at game time.  However reading your predictions I feel like you may have a better grasp on this than the weather.com folks do.

fishnski
3,530 posts
Wow....sorry I misled you but im a one trick pony for elevations between 3000 and 5000' WV.... Il stab at game cond.....windchill!...scattered showers around looking to slow down as the eve progresses but the temp will be so cold..low to mid 30's. . I wouldnt rule out a flurrie or two....hopefully you can dodge some showers as they trail off with the frontal passage but dont think you will escape the wind...have fun Bud!
AndyGene
November 6, 2014
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

That's awesome!  Thank you sir.  I will be sure to bundle up.

fishnski
November 6, 2014
3,530 posts
I was looking a little west of cinc on the wx model so those 30's will come at the end of game..scratch the flurrie and bring up the temps at the start into the low 40's...still windy...hope u r in a sheltered area...
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
fishnski
November 6, 2014
3,530 posts
33 and it just started snowing up at SS...
David
November 6, 2014
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Wild weather here in morgantown today. Sunny 1 minute and stormy the next. We had hail about 30 mins ago and now it's gorgeous. 

Looks like something's blowing in on the 4:30 CV Webcam. 

David
November 6, 2014
2,444 posts

17 minutes later...hail again.

fishnski
November 6, 2014
3,530 posts
What the Hail is goin on over there......maybe it was this stuff......Graupel Same as snow pellets or small hail..............8pm near gametime for Andygene...42.6 degrees...14mph west wind..35 windchill...I was surprised that it isnt telivised unless you live in Cincinnati or have NFL network.....bummer...
fishnski
November 7, 2014
3,530 posts
The Data was a little off ....it should have got colder with this latest system....29 at 4800' SS...snow top to bottom there....32 at 3715' Canaan and 2.1 inches reported....snow level was about 3500' and up.....no snow further north up at 7Springs per cam.....waiting for main event coming next week and watching for snow.....something might get close to us early fri next week...ill be happy just seeing guns blaring!
fishnski
November 8, 2014
3,530 posts
Cold here from the 12th till further notice...snow skimed fri then. The 17th looks interesting...
chaga
November 9, 2014
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Snowshoe, blah blah blah... snowshoe....blah blah blah. It has deceptively become the poster child for snow reporting in WV  on the news, etc etc because the resort is at the top of the mountain...duh.... If we measured snowfall at the top of the ski areas in canaan we would have identical totals and maybe more.

Glad to see the snow making....something for the folks not afraid of physical/cardio exercise to ski on till the real stuff flies! :)

fishnski wrote:

..29 at 4800' SS...snow top to
...ill be happy just seeing guns blaring!

fishnski
November 9, 2014
3,530 posts

fishnski wrote:

.29 at 4800' SS...snow top to bottom there....32 at 3715' Canaan and 2.1 inches reported....snow level was about 3500' and up.....no snow further north up at 7Springs per cam........ill be happy just seeing guns blaring!

I have many rants on record over the years about ur latest bitch Chaga....thats why I put elevations to my data...im all about Canaan bud....could have picked SS for my winter camp but didnt....not sure why u took my post out of context..............gettiny back to wx....When I started this thread a while back I correctly called this cold air coming as a dome....its huge!...its not a spike down like so many...or even a deep push like the ones that go all the way to fl...but a huge mass that will effect a huge portion of the country.....my brother in the Boulder co area will go from the low 70's to highs in the teens....and the lows...fget about it!......
fishnski
November 10, 2014
3,530 posts

fishnski wrote:

Cold here from the 12th till further notice...snow skimed fri then. The 17th looks interesting...

What I posted a couple of days ago still stands....anybody have Nat Gas stocks?....NWS catching up.........................Snow showers likely, mainly before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Friday A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 22. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Friday Night A chance of flurries. Partly cloudy, with a low around 15. Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 26. Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 20. Sunday A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Sunday Night Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Monday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
fishnski
November 10, 2014
3,530 posts
The 16 day extended. GFS wx model. shows a place like Canaan going below freezing sometime on the 12th and not going back above freezing till the 23rd...just a fcast......my sis n law just called me from. The Denver area and said on the way to work today it was in the upper 60's and driving home it was snowing and about 21!...
November 11, 2014 (edited November 11, 2014)
1,576 posts

Interesting.... from the Kentucky Weather Center web site

There is a new version of the GFS that’s set to take over from the current model. It’s running as a parallel version until it fully takes over later in December. Here’s what it shows”¦

GFS 2 GFS Snow 2

fishnski
November 11, 2014
3,530 posts
U dont know how bad I wanted to post that......thx Mr. Smith....images sure beat my lips!......probably its a sigh of relief for dcskiers that I am not capable of posting graphics...id swamp the site...lol..
fishnski
November 12, 2014
3,530 posts
chaga
November 12, 2014
646 posts

a few days old but.....

"From: Robert Leffler
Date: Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Subject: Upcoming Cold Weather in the Canaan

Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman sees a rather lengthy period of cold, below average temperatures settling into the Canaan and surrounding WV high country.   I expect it to begin late this Wednesday and continue out for a week or so at least.  Right now, I do NOT see much snowfall accompanying the colder conditions in the WV highlands through Saturday as some private forecasting companies have indicated.  

Normally when cold air invades the Canaan, it moves in after crossing the Great Lakes, picking up moisture as it does so, and dumping upslope snows and/or enhanced lake-flake snowfall in November when the Great Lakes are still relatively warm and unfrozen.  However at this time, it appears that the invading Canadian air mass will be unusually dry with a trajectory out of the mid-west, (not over the Lakes with little moisture to release.  Other than a few snow showers around mid-week as the cold air initially works in, this may result in an unusually cold, dry period for the Canaan into the weekend.  

While are some hints that early next week the pattern will become much more active with several significant storms possible, it's way-to-early to get too excited about that possible scenario. Lots can change with the weather 7 days out.

I will update you if anything significant develops.  In the mean time I recommend you stay tuned to your local National Weather Service broadcasts for updates on the approaching cold period.

Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman"

fishnski
November 12, 2014
3,530 posts
"Not only is the upper air pattern very unfavorable for a East Coast snowstorm of any kind... but having the cold area of HIGH pressure slighting east off the Middle Atlantic Coast into the Western Atlantic Ocean and producing southerly winds ...is a kiss of death. You simply cannot get a East Coast snowstorm with this sort a configuration.".............that was a quote from the met at WxRisk........BUT...not a snowstorm for the lowlands but with the over riding moist and warmer air from the high pushing into that bulge of dry Arctic air could lay down a decent carpet of snow up in the high country....how much do the Whitegrassers need for first tracks?.....
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 12, 2014
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

http://www.whitegrass.com/nov2014pics/DSC01696.jpg

hope you guys get a big dump.

BUT- I moved to CA in part for the legendary snows of the Sierra.  Right now there is nothing happening and nothing in sight.  I tell ya', it ain't right!   It's bigger than just skiing.  CA is in big trouble if normal snows do not return to the Sierra this winter.

crgildart
November 12, 2014
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

70s here at the moment but Snow Miser should be back Friday night.

fishnski
November 12, 2014 (edited November 12, 2014)
3,530 posts

crgildart wrote:

70s here at the moment but Snow Miser should be back Friday night.

... Snow miser?....no spick............. ...ive stuck to my guns for...days.. Now for a brush of snow fri and a very interesting event on mon the 17th....NWS has been calling for snow and snow showers mostly on sat into sun.(15th/16th).....there was blogging chatter for the 21st...but its to warm for that one...cold will/should come back for tgiving.......seems to be a lot of confusion in the wx geekisphere and even with our Govt wx agency...Im too stupid to get too crazy with some fcasts...I just watch each model and watch for trends... U watch Joe Bastardi and many others where they bring all these different Wx setups AO. NAO...enso...modiki...pdo...osolate this...push this...pacific temp this...atlantic temp this....ect..ect...ect....drive ya nuts!!!
November 12, 2014
1,576 posts

Forecast for the Laurel's....good for early snow making.

Tonight

Flurries

Flurries

Low: 27 °F

Thursday

Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 50%

Chance
Snow

High: 34 °F

Thursday
Night

Chance
Snow

Low: 22 °F

Friday

Chance Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40%

Chance
Snow

High: 30 °F

Friday
Night

Mostly Cloudy

Mostly
Cloudy

Low: 21 °F

Saturday

Mostly Sunny

Mostly
Sunny

High: 34 °F

Saturday
Night

Mostly Cloudy

Mostly
Cloudy

Low: 25 °F

Sunday

Chance Rain/Snow Chance for Measurable Precipitation 40%

Chance
Rain/Snow

High: 37 °F

Sunday
Night

Chance
Snow

Low: 28 °F

fishnski
November 12, 2014
3,530 posts
SUN....A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Sunday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Monday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 27. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Monday Night Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Tuesday A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 16. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 30%.................. U have to ask urself....did Fishnski just get lucky or did NWS just misread the earlier Data?....
fishnski
November 14, 2014
3,530 posts

Chaga has been dropping the ball on this so here is the Fearless ones Fcast...before I read this i was thinking more like 2 to 8 depending on the that tricky temp playout..8 all snow...2 period of rain with it....I was going to wait for the next model run to get a better handle on the situation but I like the fearless version better..so here it is...

General Discussion: There's the chance of a significant snowfall Sunday night into Tuesday night in the Canaan and immediate WV high country above 3,000 feet elevation over and west of the Alleghent Front (eastern Continental Divide). While the risk has increased in the last couple days, many uncertainties still exist at this time, making it too early to make a solid call on amounts. Specifics:Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman expects a moderately moisture-rich disturbance to form in the Gulf of Mexico ahead of yet another strong push of cold Arctic air beginning early Monday morning. The system will move northeast if it develops. The track, speed, and intensity of this developing storm will all combine to determine whether the precipitation is rain-changing-to-snow or all-snow across the high ground west of the Allegheny Front. At this time, temperatures look to be marginal at 3,000 feet elevation and above initially for snowfall as the system rides up to the northeast on a track southeast of Canaan. Small difference in the track and intensification rate can significantly impact snowfall amounts. A track only 25 miles farther inland will mean rain-changing to-snow with lesser amounts while the current more likely track favors a very close call but all snow on the high ground. A track farther to the southeast, while colder, will reduce all precipitation type amounts. The speed of a warm-up between a current then retreating cold air mass and the next approaching push of frigid air also plays a role in the precipitation type initially. While still too early to pin down snowfall amounts, totals of 5-to-10 inches over the 2-day period are not out of the question if the precipitation stays all snow. After the system passes to the northeast of Canaan, brisk NW winds will generate blowing snow and some upslope snows (included in the 2-day snowfall totals) into early Tuesday evening. Much below average temperatures will follow for several days into Thursday with Tuesday afternoon temperatures staying in the teens (with lower wind chills) and morning minimums zero to 9 F so be prepared for this early cold blast! As always, snowfall amounts for my forecasts are verified by the official NWS publsihed COOP weather observer on Canaan Heights. I will provide updates as this mid-winter-like scenario continues to develop. In the mean time, stay tuned to your National Weather Service local weather forecasts for more rapid updates. Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman

PS...like Mr Snowsmith said...enjoy the cold while we have it....looks like the snow making crews are going to have to work hard to find those snow making windows when this cold spell passes...your fearless snowhound..(me) will be sniffin the air for that tingle!...ok...nerdoski has left the house....

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2014
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Here's one from that WXRisk guy.

fishnski
November 15, 2014
3,530 posts
The writings been on the wall for a couple of days now but a Snow junkie like me has been in denial even though run after run of each wx model has shown the temps to be real close for a heavy snow...just not close enough....Sooo..we lose most of the frontside of the storm to the premature snow..but..early mon aft the Alpps will start into the backside and it looks pretty decent....guns back glaring...snow whippin around...things will be right once again!.....just ordered a cross country pkg...and some decent snow chains for Betterhalfskis Ford escape...my Silverado just needs my foot on the pedal..
fishnski
November 16, 2014 (edited November 16, 2014)
3,530 posts
I just checked out todays snow cover extent in the lower 48 and it was. Something like what u would see in mid winter...crazy..its got to be or close to a record....last year in mid Dec we had the largest snow extent in a decade but was still way short of what we have now...a month earlier!..........im starting to think about the winter of 76/77 more n more....not sayi g there will be a repeat....jus sayin.....whatever we end up with..this snow cover is definately an investent in our cold n snow futures!......................................... Winter of 1976”“1977Edit Weather conditions during the months leading up to the blizzard allowed the blizzard to have the impacts it did. A high-amplitude planetary wave pattern set up,[4] which was very persistent from October 1976 through January 1977, and involved a ridge over western North America and a trough over eastern North America.[5] In January 1977, this pattern persisted, with the pressure of the strong ridge over western North America being more than two standard deviations from the mean, while the strong trough centered over eastern North America was more than three standard deviations from the mean.[5] A strong blocking high developed over the Arctic Ocean during January, and this moved the polar vortex to southern Canada, south of its normal location.[6] Strong northwest flow between the ridge and the trough resulted in a strong northwest flow in between, which ushered Arctic air into the central and eastern United States.[6] The circulation helped cause record cold for the winter over many portions of the eastern United States, with the Ohio Valley averaging more than 8 °F (4 °C) below normal.[4] The severe winter was not limited to the northeastern United States; snow was observed in Miami, Florida, on January 20, and snow mixed with rain occurred in the Bahamas.[7]..........................the blizzard in jan of that record winter also included snow that was blown oft the frozen lakes which added to the falling snow and absolutely buried houses in upstate NY...froze the Ches Bay..ect...
fishnski
November 18, 2014
3,530 posts
Record lows..record low highs...its going on the record as a record breaking day or two...sound like a broken record?...yep......The good news. for the futures is that the warm periods between the cold ones have shrunk by more than half...
fishnski
November 19, 2014
3,530 posts
I started looking ahead to T-Giving yest because the 10 day period on the models is where I start to look for trends and about 7 or 8 days out Ive got a feel for whats going to take place...generaly speaking....I just look at three models..euro..Canadien..and American GFS...I have not evolved past that..very simple...once I make a decision in my head I got to blog sites to verify or fix my thinking.......yest and today has seen the GFS with a cold and a little snow 4 day weekend and both the Euro and Canadien showing a rain to probably a snow event sometime into the 4 day holiday....as always im just looking at the western front high country.......place ur bets folks...roll the dice....come on GFS!!!!
fishnski
November 20, 2014
3,530 posts
Play by play model watching...........Oh Canada..our American neighbor and ally swung over to our way (GFS) of thinking on last eves run...the Euro...(which the Mets love)...stuck to its guns which .....its still wayyyyyy out...but..suggests a rain Sat to snow sometime Sat nite deal.....please correct me..school me..or whatever if im off...u wont hurt my feelings...waiting for this aft runs....
fishnski
November 20, 2014
3,530 posts
The weather channel owns intellicast and accuweather now...cking all three sites they are split just like the models....intellicast and the wxchannel are with the colder snowier camp and accuwx still has the rain scene.......there looks to be some colder air moving in later on tue with a little snow possible for the high country wed bfore tgiving so im going out on a snowy limb and saying Canaan Valley will have a white TGiving......
fishnski
November 21, 2014 (edited November 21, 2014)
3,530 posts
Still thinking a white TGiving and hoping the 4 letter word doesn't pop up for Sat......spending winters in the Tampa area now puts me a longggggggg way from the Mtns so as I sit here waiting for Mr Ups to bring my new XC ski pkg I dont see anything to lure me out of my sunny 70's...could be a week or so of a warmup later tgiving into dec...looking for that Snow lure dump before XMas!....fingers crossed for u turkey skiers!
jimmy
November 22, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

fishnski wrote:

Still thinking a white TGiving and hoping the 4 letter word doesn't pop up for Sat......spending winters in the Tampa area now puts me a longggggggg way from the Mtns so as I sit here waiting for Mr Ups to bring my new XC ski pkg I dont see anything to lure me out of my sunny 70's...could be a week or so of a warmup later tgiving into dec...looking for that Snow lure dump before XMas!....fingers crossed for u turkey skiers!

Hey fish, what's he bringing you?

fishnski
November 22, 2014
3,530 posts

well....thxs for askin Jimmi..me luvs ya long time,,btw....last year I rented a few times..my first on XC ever...I dont even know what i rented and they were alot of work but got easier and funner as i went along..they were all plastic and I started to look for a sturdier ski for more aggresive turning and control..get off the track a little....sooooo...I first looked at the Rosi 65's with the updated version of the rosi 65 touring pkg..they had a partial metal edge and stronger bindings and boots but i ordered that for the ole Lady and went one step up to the fischer 68's with even heaver bindings and boots for way better turning on downhills..fatter in front for bushwacking thru deeper snow but still narrow enough to earn my beers while skating on whitegrasses tracks....there are way more aggresive ski packages out there that cost a whole lot more than mine but I think for my level ill be fine.....cant wait to wake up one morn at my WV camp after a dump.. or while it still dumping even better.. and just pop those billies on and take a tour of the hood before breakfast!

fishnski
November 22, 2014
3,530 posts
Mike Masco ABC Baltimore Meteorologist 9 hours ago · One forecast model shows a rain/snow/sleet situation for thanksgiving .. I am highly suspicious of that. You will see snow maps put out there from models from people with no business posting such maps. It's click bait. They want you to click on their image and follow them on Facebook by deceiving you with maps that aren't realistic Careful of the information out there. .........................WXRISK comes to mind....he has a bunch of sheep that follow him....his wx fcast are all over the map.....
November 22, 2014
1,576 posts

Are you saying it's going to rain? I will be leaving the Balto area late Wednesday afternoon to head up to the mountains and driving in a snow storm with all of those amateur drivers kind of scares me. 

fishnski
November 23, 2014
3,530 posts
Things are starting to change..there has been a broad coastal low on the radar all week on every model run but it was way off the coast to be a player..ive been watching it to see if it showed any signs of shifting closer...I gave up on it and was concentrating on another system dropping down to add to the backside of this coastal low to give the high country a white Tgiving which I have been calling for since last wed when out of the blue the wx mods shifted the storm closer in...the Euro mod the most....im a glutton. For punishment getting on this site trying to play this fake wx Dude...lol...maybe if I could get my first cust on my wx site...Amapro...It would start to pay off...wking for free for 14 years now!......anyhoot...here is what the paid pros at NWS are saying.....................................NWS Fcast Disc.......THE DIFFERENCES HAVE A LINK TO AN UPSTREAM CLIPPER SYSTEM AND HOW IT PLAYS INTO THE MOTION/EVOLUTION OF THE COASTAL STORM. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT ALL SOLUTIONS ARE STILL ON THE TABLE...FROM NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING TO ACCUMULATING SNOW
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2014
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

For whatever it's worth I've already been skiing in Okemo twice (weekends) and it's been quite acceptable.  And it's a week before Thanksgiving!  26 trails with 6 lifts, two top to bottom (2,200' vertical) and about 10 runs from the higher lifts to the top.  Returning to Phila for Turkey Day and hopefully not in a snow storm.   We may end up with 10 inches or so on Wednesday.

fishnski
November 24, 2014 (edited November 24, 2014)
3,530 posts
Glad to see ya still skiin away up in the north and a happy TDay to ya.....the Problem with the I95 cities is the temp...looking at the airport temp at Philly now at 6am its 63...going to 72!....temo will come down by wed storm time but with not the best cold for the storm to drag into itself and the still relatively warm Atlantic it will be hard to get any big snow ammounts...N and W of DC..Balt..PHA on higher elevations are the ticket....I used to live in Damascus Md..the highest town in Mont co...we would get a half foot there..drop down to Germantown and there would be 2 inches and by the time we got to Gaithersburg there would just be a little on the grass....Damascus was a clean o alcohol town back then....dam..as..cus.....oh...going for a foot of Snow way up high in the Crown Jewel of the WV ALPPS....Mt Porte Crayon....prove me wrong!
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2014
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

you're totally correct.  Our local weather folks have upped the snow fall in the highlands here to 18"....  I decided to leave tomorrow Tuesday instead of braving a closed down I-91 and a mess on I-95 into Philly....

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2014
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

I drove north on I-81 in PA today.  The electric signs are all warning about winter weather on Wed, starting at the MD/PA state line  Local TV weather in Allentown certainly talking about snow.

Lucky for me I'll be north of Albany by Tue night.  Heading up to Lake Placid first thing Wed morning.  Hopefully before it starts snowing in Albany and points south.

Droogie
November 25, 2014
Member since 03/22/2012 🔗
76 posts

It looks like winter storm warnings have now replaced the watches. The extent of the warnings is more widespread than the initial watch area too going all the way back to Seven Springs. Does anybody have an updated guesstimate on snow totals? 

fishnski
December 5, 2014 (edited December 5, 2014)
3,530 posts
I posted on the(Dec) wx thread a few ago that It looked like some Snow n cold was moving in for the 9th into the 10th but it was too early then to say how long the cold would stay.......every model that could lock into that time frame except the GFS has had a nice noreaster coming thru...The Euro waffled a little but came back on....I just saw where J Bastardi has come into the snowbull camp with this post...gonna need some elevation for this fella!.............................."..Heckuva way to run a warmup nor-easter next wk likely to dump heavy snows mtns WVA northeast to New Eng. Skiers storm. "
fishnski
December 5, 2014
3,530 posts
Oh..forgot...looks like a typical 3 day cold shot for the Alpps then a mildup but this latest run of the GFS long range finally came to life a little with something other than an endless dessert till Xmas....keep hope alive!....
December 5, 2014
1,576 posts

The model runs are suggesting a change next week with a major winter storm going up the coast. This could be the kick in the kiester that the weather pattern needs to change from the miserable, gloomy, damp crap we have now to  winter wonderland next week. Thus allowing us ski junkies to get our fix in a higher quality way. And the longer range forcasts are calling for a blocking pattern later in the month, thus providing cold weather approaching the Chrismas holidays.

fishnski
December 5, 2014 (edited December 5, 2014)
3,530 posts
Hear. Hear!...end of Dec and Jan have potential to get serious...one step at a time to kick it in the Kiester!...(suck the mother load back over from Asia)
chaga
December 6, 2014
646 posts

"Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman believes a significant weather pattern change favoring more wintry conditions in the Canaan is in the works.  While rain today may briefly end as some light snow Saturday night, that is not the headline.  Bigger changes are in store mid-week.  

Colder air arriving from Canada Tuesday will likely generate another coastal storm.  As always with a storm not formed yet, the location of development, track, and intensification rate all play a large factor in who gets snow or rain and how much.  While way-too-early to discuss snowfall amounts, this system has the potential to throw moisture back inland, creating moderate UPSLOPE snows in conjunction with colder air moving in over the Canaan and surrounding WV high country Tuesday into Thursday.

Right now, I disagree with public forecasts calling for rain-and-snow during this period.  If any precipitation falls, I see ALL SNOW.  After that system moves to the northeast, it may again warm-up briefly but a more normal pattern supporting the progression of colder air should begin after that.

As always, I will keep you updated as the situation comes more into focus.

Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman"

fishnski
December 7, 2014
3,530 posts
How bout them Skins?....Geesh... ..this coming storm is not ur typical Noreaster...its going to get blocked on its way up and shunted back towards land...and even inland a little.. and spinning for awhile till it can find a way out of dodge.....will have to see if the High Country can get a scrape out of the storm on the way up....I dont really like the wrap around trajectory of a storm sitting NE of say Canaan...it looks good on paper but Canaan loves a NW wind..not N....course there will be moisture pumping in and it will add up overall...the Euro model is most aggresive and most cold.like I posted earlier..elevation will b needed.... Buttttttttttt......there was a simular type setup back on the same date in 1992 that brought a 3 day foot n a half total to Canaan and I think a record 48 inches somewhere in MD.....its all about the strength and where it sets up.....im grabbing some popcorn for this one!
fishnski
December 7, 2014
3,530 posts
Poconos north to NE should be in for a treat...
December 7, 2014
1,576 posts

A set up like this could potentially provide us with some substantial up-slope snow.

December 8, 2014
1,576 posts

I see that the snowfall amounts for our beloved mountains has been increased to 3"- 6". I hope Inaccuweather is correct for a change.

fishnski
December 8, 2014
3,530 posts
Complex situation...cking out the radar u can see moisture streaming west from the ocean into and over the outer banks...rain moving north thru GA and SC.....then a system from the west moving east all creating a squeeze play over WV...allready lightly snowing there...
crgildart
December 8, 2014
767 posts

LOL that Timberline has ads here after all of the greatly exaggerated rumors of her demise hahaha..

And, Snow Miser is back in the mountains here.  Not getting the precip back there that is headed north but cold enough to blow snow again.

David
December 8, 2014
2,444 posts

It is dumping on the Snowshoe Cam right now!! 

fishnski
December 10, 2014 (edited December 10, 2014)
3,530 posts
Like I posted...never been that impressed about these cutoff lows for Canaan....the scrape I posted about produced a couple of inches..a few inches with the backside and we r done....looking at a quick cold shot the 17th..the 21st..and then the big one the 24th....cross ur skiis!
fishnski
December 14, 2014
3,530 posts

fishnski wrote:

..looking at a quick cold shot the 17th..the 21st..and then the big one the 24th....cross ur skiis!

... ...........posted 3 days ago and still holds.....standard pre cold front premature snow to post front snow n cold for the first one...nothing to make plans for...BUT...the 21st shot for next weekend might require a snowhound alert if the EURO model wins the day with thier version of events...GFS brings storm just to the west (not best) side of the high country Alpps which is ur rain to snow scene....XMas still looking like winter kicking in hard...hopefully that stays true..in the meantime...Go Euro for next weekend!
December 14, 2014
1,576 posts

Forecast for today.....miserable, followed by partly miserable, with a dose of mostly miserable.

December 14, 2014 (edited December 14, 2014)
1,580 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Forecast for today.....miserable, followed by partly miserable, with a dose of mostly miserable.

I was in Snowshoe from Thu - Sun.  Fri and Sat were awesome.  Freezing drizzle Sat night - Sun morn.  Packed the truck and drove home in rain / drizzle from SS to Pittsburgh.  Hoping to post up a video of Sat in a day or two.

Sat pic of the day.

December 14, 2014
1,576 posts

It was foggy AND windy all weekend at HV. Saturday we had freezing windy fog with ice chunks blowing off trees. Today, we had wind, fog and rain all day...sideways mist. I will say the snow conditions were excellent on Saturday.

fishnski
December 16, 2014
3,530 posts
Ive had it with these so called met ......Hypsters....Wxrisk is a prime example.....dude talks so much. Do Do...he is a copy cat and then makes it look like his info...even Joe Bastardi hypes storms...yeh..he..they..get lucky here n there but all screw up big time!.........all the info is out there folks..free!... Its getting so easy to read the models... Which is all those hypsters do.....just look for 850 temps (5000')......look for the 540 line...north of that snow..south...no......compare runs to see the shift...ck out a site that figures snowfall totals and watch the trends on those.....read the fcast discussions on the NWS sites...these joker bloggers would be out of buisness if they didnt have so many sheep following them......that said...it looks like next weekends energy is trending a little south but will still affect the wv Alpps....ck out the next model run...Nam should be out..gfs will follow...canadien and Euro wont put out any new guidance till about 1..to 3..am.....wake up and ck em out like me!........yeh right....
eggraid
December 17, 2014
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I have a hard enough time understanding both yours and wxrisk's forecasts, I don't know if looking at models is going to cut it for me!

December 17, 2014
1,580 posts

eggraid wrote:

I have a hard enough time understanding both yours and wxrisk's forecasts, I don't know if looking at models is going to cut it for me!

+1

I actually like that Justin Berk out of Baltimore, MD.  He seems pretty transparent with a desire for some level of accuracy.  I wish he covered the WV resorts.

Droogie
December 17, 2014
76 posts

fishnski I'm going to have to agree with the previous two posters. I don't know if you are trying to be extra witty or something, but it really is hard to understand what points you are trying to convey. Perhaps consider a more conventional writing approach to get your point across. Go back and read your last few posts and ask yourself if a reader can follow your choppy syntax and understand what was communicated. I hope my comment doesn't anger you. I know you know a ton of stuff and think you make great forecasts, I just have a hard time following you the way you write.  

kwillg6
December 17, 2014
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

fishnski wrote:

Ive had it with these so called met ......Hypsters....Wxrisk is a prime example.....dude talks so much. Do Do...he is a copy cat and then makes it look like his info...even Joe Bastardi hypes storms...yeh..he..they..get lucky here n there but all screw up big time!.........all the info is out there folks..free!... Its getting so easy to read the models... Which is all those hypsters do.....just look for 850 temps (5000')......look for the 540 line...north of that snow..south...no......compare runs to see the shift...ck out a site that figures snowfall totals and watch the trends on those.....read the fcast discussions on the NWS sites...these joker bloggers would be out of buisness if they didnt have so many sheep following them......that said...it looks like next weekends energy is trending a little south but will still affect the wv Alpps....ck out the next model run...Nam should be out..gfs will follow...canadien and Euro wont put out any new guidance till about 1..to 3..am.....wake up and ck em out like me!........yeh right....

I've never had a problem understanding "Andyspeak."  But then again we do hang out in the same neighborhood in the mountains.  

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts

Yeh..Understood Droogie..never been very articulate......but  if u can ever dicifer what im trying to mumble u will see a 99% accuracy rate in my droolings...im talkin about going back what..14..15 years?..I consistently beat any fcasts by many days in advance..I find big storms many..many days in advance.....I have watched many folks come on this site over the years putting out fcasts that I know are way off....I try to be responsible and not to hype any storms..to be honest scott never liked any of us to fcast anything without siting scources that were reputable...he warned us a few times but Im hoping he gave up on me after he could see a pattern of truth..or he just gave up..lol...
OH...I have been posting on a smartphone which is hard for me to do...small and hard to edit...I know im a caveman..admitted that many many times...

PS...THE WESTERN AREA HIGHCOUNTRY SKI AREAS (ALPPS) WILL HAVE A WHITE XMAS>>>JUST LIKE I PREDICTED A WHITE THANKSGIVING PROBABLY 9 DAYS BEFORE THE DATE>>>>...there...think ya can understand that?!

ALPPS...allpine in the apps...

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts

Thanks Kwill!!..ill take any kind of support..what is ur fav beer?...see ya in the pub!

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts

Oh...one more thing..when I started this thread and knowing my limitations i asked for as much participation as I could get..thx for the snowsmiths and Dons and a couple more folks for the imput...was hoping for more of uall and way less of me to tell u the truth...anyhoot think snow n cold!

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts

One last thing..sorry...My last rumblings began out of frutrations that the Met bloggers will hang on to any model that will give them the most fodder to hype for their sites..they have all stuck to this huge storm for this weekend and a dude like Wxrisk hates to back down even when it looks like the brunt of the energy has shifted further south of where we need it..he will keep grasping...I hope he is right..more snow the merrier!...but im not feeling the big one...thats what i was trying to say and i cannot put my thoughts down any better than that..fgive me..

fishnski
December 17, 2014 (edited December 17, 2014)
3,530 posts

Blue Don 1982

I actually like that Justin Berk out of Baltimore, MD.  He seems pretty transparent with a desire for some level of accuracy.  I wish he covered the WV resorts

I did follow mike masco out of balto for awhile..same prob....found this FB site...https://www.facebook.com/WvEasternPanhandleWeather.........but then again they were hyping this storm till they threw in the towel at 11am this morn..Soo..u can see I that just because i follow them doesnt mean i follow them..follow me?..yeh..that was my attempt at being witty Droogster..

TomH
December 17, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

How snowy a X-Mas if I might ask Mr. Fishnski?  PS - your weather reports are one of the most useful things on this site. Thanks

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts

TomH wrote:

How snowy a X-Mas if I might ask Mr. Fishnski?  PS - your weather reports are one of the most useful things on this site. Thanks

Wow..this thread might cost me some funds at the pub..trying to sneak in some free beer mr H?...thx though......nice folks here on DC Ski..when im  all uppity and cocky here folks love to send me hate... now that im on the ropes and playing defense I will start to get some pitty posts..keep em coming!!....
   The long range models have been showing a strong blast moving in around the 24th..I first felt brave enough to bring it up about a week ago..its still there so if we dont get a really strong blast coming in XMas eve then please forgive me for being a sucker!...I have to go back and look at it closer..ive been watching next weekends system and havn't really paid attention to the 24th....
   looks like a storm will spin up on the edge of the bulging cold heading our way..spin up to the west of the high country bringing in some rain at first but then bringing in one of those fronts that Canaan is known for...u know..white knuckle driving past Mt storm on the way to Davis and into the Valley?!!.....gotta factor in the upslope and lake factor as we get closer to figure out how much we get....Im thinking..and hoping this is the start to a below ave Jan and Feb...
Chime in folks..let us know what ur hearing and seeing out there!

December 17, 2014
1,576 posts

http://kyweathercenter.com/

I know it sounds far away, but it is close enough to get close. And this guys analyzes all of the models and indicates which ones are most likely wrong. He then tracks the progress of each model to see how it is converging with the actual weather. He does not give long range forcasts. He looks at trends and then makes a prediction when he has the information.  I haven't found a better forcaster. I wish he would move east. The worst is Accuweather. Given that they are in State College, you would think they could do a better job with the Laurel Mountains.

TomH
December 17, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Actually Mr. Fish I will buy you a beer at Timbers if someone that knows both of us points you out.

December 17, 2014
1,580 posts

snowsmith wrote:

http://kyweathercenter.com/

I like him too.  He used to be in Charleston, WV which was great b/c he put emphasis on Winterplace and Snowshoe (selfish on my part). 

That WxRisk guy is strange.  I don't get it, he runs a private weather consulting service and treats people like S__T on his Facebook page.  You'd think he'd try to be more professional (like Burk or Bailey) which IMO would attract more clients.

I do like this thread and Mr Fish's alerts - even though he did not like my Miller Lite Beer Can Snow Depth Gauge ..... HA !

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts

What really perplexus me and has for a long time is that when u go to wx blog sites u often see in the comments really good posts that sound smarter and with more sound reasoning than the pro met blogger themselves!...Im just an ole burnout from the hood of DC and Know that there has to be some really smart folks here that know their Wx..why am i the only dumbass that posts?..the few of u that do post dont qualify as "Dumbass"..and wish there was more of you..this is a SKI SITE..WX is one of the most important topics that can be discussed.....maybe if i quit opening up wx threads more of you would would feel like opining...maybe u all are so nice that u feel like u dont want to tread on my "show"....man...Im dying for more thoughts and posts...

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts

TomH wrote:

Actually Mr. Fish I will buy you a beer at Timbers if someone that knows both of us points you out.

Might need the help..I have lost a fortune in oil stocks..ouch...who could have fcast this huge oil drop??!.....maybe if i spent more time studying the market and less time WX watching id be Richhhhhhh!!!!.......yeh Blue  Don...get some taste BUDS!.....
I read KyWx every nite around 1ish Snowsmith...that friggin smartphone robs me of sleep...1st the latest GFS model run..then KYWX..then the GEM and Euro at 2 and three am...then the stock futures..fcast discussions...snooze a little then the doglicks to get me up at 7...around the clock!!!....need to go skiing...dont have internet at my camp in canaan...

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts

here is what the gfs is saying three days after the initial front on the 24th...(dusted off a 12 year old dell laptop to post this)...judging by all that blue cold air up north it looks like there will be an initial pullback on the 27th which is shortlived then another push down ..this is 10 days out...just an idea at this point...three days of cold winds blowing from the front till the 27th could bring a few inches of snow or a feet of snow..gotta see which way the wind will set up and if the lakes are still below ave temp wise..how are those lake temps...thats ur homework...
timing of the initial blast and the duration of the 1st wave will have to be watched for....

December 17, 2014
1,576 posts

Some model runs take this storm going up the Ohio valley....very bad for for us DCSkiers since that is the warm side of the storm. We need to ask Santa for this storm to move further east. Otherwise, we'll have a wet Christmas. And I cannot picture Bing Crosby singing "I'm dreaming of a wet Christmas, just like the ones...." you get the idea.

fishnski
December 17, 2014 (edited December 17, 2014)
3,530 posts
Bah Humbug Mr Smith!!...ck this out...the storm spins up and away leaving us in the warm side...THEN...the cold air blows in on its backside...spinning up a decent low Say down in the nc area..heads up perfectly dumping snow on the Alpps and then producing a very vigoruos backside that will make the tom H's and Chaga's very happy....not to mention the alpiners allready enjoying the downhill areas...
David
December 17, 2014
2,444 posts

Droogie wrote:

fishnski I'm going to have to agree with the previous two posters. I don't know if you are trying to be extra witty or something, but it really is hard to understand what points you are trying to convey. Perhaps consider a more conventional writing approach to get your point across. Go back and read your last few posts and ask yourself if a reader can follow your choppy syntax and understand what was communicated. I hope my comment doesn't anger you. I know you know a ton of stuff and think you make great forecasts, I just have a hard time following you the way you write.  

This is one of the best posts on DCSki in quite a while.

I guess I find it easy to understand Andy's posts, but that's probably because he's been my uncle for nearly 10 years now...Speaking of which, what'd you get your favorite nephew for Christmas this year???

fishnski
December 17, 2014
3,530 posts
Ok..funny. Nefroid....im broke this year due to my all in bet on oil...Buttttt...when it comes back im gonna get ya. Some modeling lessons...dont quite like the position ur in in some of ur photo shots for DC ski..there is room for improvement bro..nef...gonna make u a star!......jus playin..luvs ta long time....
Crush
December 18, 2014
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

Droogie wrote:

- i understand him perfectly; his West Virginial - beatnik - Kerouac prose is always a delightful romp. lol . lolol. lo lo. la la la.

December 18, 2014
1,580 posts

Christmas Eve / Day From Crap U Weather this morning

skicat
December 18, 2014
Member since 03/5/2014 🔗
20 posts

Assuming I read this correctly does it mean miserable weather for the entire Xmas?

December 18, 2014
1,580 posts

skicat wrote:

Assuming I read this correctly does it mean miserable weather for the entire Xmas?

Depends on your location.  If things play out exactly as that map shows,  7S, HV, BK, Wisp  and possibly CV area could see some nice snow.  East of all that  .... yuck.

Remember - the pic is from Accuweather.  They update regularly and that's 6 days away.

eggraid
December 18, 2014
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Don't get me wrong, fish, I always come here to check out what you have to say anytime I have someone tell me "did you hear there is a big storm coming next weekend?"  I appreciate you keeping us up-to-date, especially with the WV ski areas, even if it takes a couple of readings for me to figure it out. The last few posts have been much easier for me to understand :)

Keep it up!

fishnski
December 18, 2014
3,530 posts

Im all about constructive critics..tough love..all that..its all good Eggraid...Lord knows ive dished it out at DCSKI..better be able to take it too!........I was laughing to myself last nite thinking that if they couldnt understand me they would LOVE CRUSH doing weather posts..any posts for that matter!..then i see my man posts a response here..lol..u go Crush!...
Taking a quick look at todays runs it still follows what I posted yesterday..first wave crashes in noonish.(give or take) on wed/24th..snows and blows for 24/26 hours..like a wave at the beach it retreats..then surges back a couple of days later..some time later on fri...GIVE OR TAKE!...then continues thru XMas weekend..Should start to get 1st ideas of snow amounts tomorrow..but im gone fishing...heading out 12 miles in the gulf of mexico in AM to catch some Grey snapper for fish tacos!!

PS..that was the good part..but we gotta get thru the wet stuff first...thats life in the mid atlantic!......always looking at the future but this 17th cold shot i posted about many moons ago is showing some staying power..if its not snowing lightly right now it should soon...(western front High country)
Nov was colder than normal..the 1st week in Dec was above but we have gone below since...

fishnski
December 18, 2014
3,530 posts

PS..part 2..............

Eureka, Nunavut
Light Snow

-9 °F

Light Snow Low Drifting Snow

Resolute, Nunavut
Fog

-29 °F

Fog

I watch these two wx sites alot because it is in a prime area that we get our cold draws from...eureka (way up north in Canada) which is further north than Resolute was about 39 below just recently...see how the temp has dropped?...will see Resolute drop soon as well Im thinking..might smell some Polar Bear bear in the wind Xmas Eve!

JohnL
December 18, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Go Fish Go.

I'll buy ya a beer @ Timbers.

Regards.

fishnski
December 19, 2014
3,530 posts
The Great JL Lives!!!!!!.....Bow down all ye peasants...we r not worthy.......
Shotmaker
December 19, 2014
Member since 02/18/2014 🔗
180 posts

For Snowshoe or any other area you want:

Intellicast - Snowshoe Weather Report in West Virginia (26209)

I visit a number of weather sites but Intellicast constantly updates their 10 day forecast and is very accurate!  They also have great graphics.

TomH
December 19, 2014
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Like TLine, rumors of JL's demise were greatly exaggerated. ;)

fishnski wrote:

The Great JL Lives!!!!!!.....Bow down all ye peasants...we r not worthy......

wgo
December 19, 2014
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

TLine open, JohnL posting again...I feel like my equilibrium has been restored.

JohnL
December 19, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

TomH wrote:

Like TLine, rumors of JL's demise were greatly exaggerated. ;)

To their dismay.

I'm sure you have heard about some of their "facility" issues (which will effect some of the skiing.) But "speculation" not allowed here. I'm glad they did open. I don't wish ill on the pass holders or the homeowners.

I'll be curious to get your take on the ops so far at CVR since you know W. Maybe at Timbers tomorrow nite.

JohnL
December 19, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Mr. Fish, I'll be curious on any updates for Wed. Won't affect me near term since I won't ski next weekend, but it would be nice to repair some of the likely damage from Tues.

fishnski
December 19, 2014
3,530 posts
Ok...now that uv had yer heros Welcome and u have rejoined the frontline grunts ...dont b stupid u moron....all rain will b forgotten by wed aft...waking up to a white xmas with blowing snow...West Va Style!!!!......my fcast hasnt changed...just got back from fishing all day...1st snowfall amount possibilities coming tomorrow...unless someone beats me to the punch....aint tryin to look at wx JL..Apre fishn......thx for askin though....
fishnski
December 20, 2014 (edited December 20, 2014)
3,530 posts
Ok...now that ive come down from my Apres fishing Dum n cokes ill get serious....please correct me if im wrong but I dont see any wx headlines for the rain part...overnight tue and into wed till the front is thru xmas eve will b wet but its not as if its been warm all week...the snowpack is cold..damage minimal.....the snow part doesnt need any headlines either...as far as a snowy place like Canaan relatively speaking......the second shot coming in overnite fri/sat morn is still 8 days out and a little bit of a mystery...hopefully any brief warmup and pre frontal rain will come after fridays skiing.............im deleting all wx blogs from my favs because im tired of being. Swayed by impressive maps..analogs..ect....not looking past 10 days out anymore...8 days out wil start the planning process.....I have a 15 hour ride to wv from fl now and im glad I held off from leaving last week....im looking for snow deep enough for my new xcountry skiis!
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 20, 2014
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

I was going to enter a fishnski tribute post written in his own dialect, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to duplicate.  One of a kind mind when it comes to keyboarding through the blizzard of cyberspace.  But I hope to meet him someday because he has the sea-n-ski migratory H2O lovefest lifestyle down like a champ.  Fish, do you have any January vacancies in your chairlift counseling practice for those seeking to detach from reality and slide into the alternate universe of ski bum fantasy land?  I do xcountry too.

fishnski
December 20, 2014
3,530 posts

Im always concerned when I see someone with a good head on thier shoulders....I mean someone...wayyyyyyyyy above my paygrade posting on one of my threads..dont know if im going to be scolded or critizicized for being a derilect but a guy like Jimk who is such an acomplished guy is obviously very modest and easy going so it would be an honor and a pleasure to spend a few trips up the ole mtn with ya sir....im a freebird and dont make reservations..dates or anything that I might not be able to keep but i always ask around when up in canaan and see known Dcskiers to see who else might be up there....

Ck out this morns pic of Canaan on the dolly sods..post card perfect!....see the darker clouds scooting by(mostly shaved south of the alpps)...should have been closer and thicker acording to last weeks fcasts...oh well...still Sweet!......oh... let me figure out how to post it....

fishnski
December 20, 2014
3,530 posts

David
December 20, 2014
2,444 posts

fishnski wrote:

Ck out this morns pic of Canaan on the dolly sods..post card perfect!....see the darker clouds scooting by(mostly shaved south of the alpps)...should have been closer and thicker acording to last weeks fcasts...oh well...still Sweet!......oh... let me figure out how to post it....

Beautiful at 09:00 this morning

crgildart
December 20, 2014
767 posts

We enjoyed a light dusting of snow this morning in The Bull City.  Not much but the kdis got bundled up and went out early make the most of what they could.

fishnski
December 20, 2014
3,530 posts
What??!?.... I was all proud of myself because I thought I had got that pic to post..without. It updating itself all day.......saw the pic on my SP...saw it on my laptop..so I went about my day thinking that folks were enjoying a nice pic......then I ck on the site a few min ago and see where u had to fix it David.........I was confused why u were fixing an allready posted pic so I picked up my ladies PH and logged in and sure enough there was a big blue question mark where the pic was supposed to be.......soooooo...thx Bud...u are always great about fixing these missposts.......when I grow up I want to be just like you!!
December 22, 2014
1,576 posts

The latest model runs that I have observed seem to indicate that this is primarilly going to be a rain event with a little wrap around snow late Christma Eve into Christmas day. So far we have generally been in a minor 'snow hole'  where the snow is not getting to the Appalachians. The weather pattern is supposed to change soon, and hopefully it includes some sustained lake effect stuff. Not the worst weather but a big Xmas snow event would have been nice.

fishnski
December 22, 2014
3,530 posts
Even a week ago when it still looked like a decent shot my mind was seeing how the storm was setting up and how the wind was not going to be a great setup for a great snow event but listening and seeing all the hyped up maps and talk of how the mojo..pna..noa and doe ray me were going to bring on this massive arctic outbreak that it made my bullish mindset get in the way of reality...being a bull is what has got me in trouble in the stock mkt...col..(cry out loud).......these prognosticated arctic outbreaks seem to always take longer to materialize than fcasted and u would think that I would finally learn....I will be more conservative and better in the future.....
fishnski
December 22, 2014
3,530 posts

fishnski wrote:

Ok...now that ive come down from my Apres fishing Dum n cokes ill get serious....please correct me if im wrong but I dont see any wx headlines for the rain part...overnight tue and into wed till the front is thru xmas eve will b wet but its not as if its been warm all week...the snowpack is cold..damage minimal.....the snow part doesnt need any headlines either...as far as a snowy place like Canaan relatively speaking......the second shot coming in overnite fri/sat morn is still 8 days out and a little bit of a mystery...hopefully any brief warmup and pre frontal rain will come after fridays skiing.............im deleting all wx blogs from my favs because im tired of being. Swayed by impressive maps..analogs..ect....not looking past 10 days out anymore...8 days out wil start the planning process.....I have a 15 hour ride to wv from fl now and im glad I held off from leaving last week....im looking for snow deep enough for my new xcountry skiis!

I posted that 2 days ago and would have made it a day earlier if it wasnt for a fishing trip I was on....so 5 or 6 days out i pretty much threw in the towel for a big one but still holding out for a white Xmas...there has not been any real model consesus to get a positive read on events...been hard to figure...

JohnL
December 22, 2014
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Toss in the towel on this one.

Possible (brief) T-Storms in Northern/Central Vermont.

Misery will love company.

Catch some fish in teh next week. After that, hopefully some winter. I got some winter this past weekend, enough to last me a week or so. But no longer.

David
December 22, 2014
2,444 posts

67 degrees forecasted here in Morgantown on Wednesday. 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 23, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Bah, Humbug!!!

Rain, rain go away

Please let it snow and snow and snow and snow

fishnski
December 24, 2014 (edited December 24, 2014)
3,530 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Bah, Humbug!!!

Rain, rain go away

NWS pittsburg must have listened to ya there Mr. colonel sir.......Last nite they were caling for heavy snow accumulations for the canaan area and this morn they still had this....

• Today Showers, mainly before 4pm. High near 60. South wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
  • Tonight Rain showers before 2am, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 31. Breezy, with a west wind 13 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
  • Christmas Day A chance of snow showers, mainly before 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.....

Great white hope?....Nope.....some kind of mess up.....(loser gong show sound..waaaaay..waaa...whaa0..woughhhhhhhh...)

fishnski
December 24, 2014
3,530 posts

Oh...watching a stalled front for late weekend into next week but think that the Mtn's will be on the warm side of it..but still watching ....looking more promising for new years eve into the new year...looks like what was supposed to happen XMas eve into XMas but of course that changed but odds are swinging in the bullish camp..they have too!!..dang it...

December 24, 2014
1,576 posts

I hate to be the ghost of Christmas past, but the NWS forcast I looked up has the following for Davis, WV:

Not excactly encouraging. I feel like Bob Cratchet after getting my lump of coal from the Weather Scrooge.

Detailed Forecast

• Today A chance of showers, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 59. South wind 8 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
  • Tonight Rain showers before 2am, then a slight chance of rain and snow showers between 2am and 3am, then a chance of snow showers after 3am. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 31. Breezy, with a west wind 11 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 48 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.
  • Christmas Day A chance of snow showers, mainly before 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Breezy, with a west wind 18 to 23 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
chaga
646 posts

David wrote:

67 degrees forecasted here in Morgantown on Wednesday. 

over 50 in canaan right now. a little muddy for biking, but great corn skiing conditions....next best thing to powder. #enjoywhatyouhave

jimmy
December 24, 2014
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Classic.

fishnski
3,530 posts

U r thinkin with a glass half full mr snowgrinch...ya fgot ta add the overnite snow...U have a choice between little or no snow accumulation.....think positive and chose LITTLE...could be another qtr  inch ....livin large up in the snowy Alpps!...

PLUS....im thinking by 1am it will b all snow...gives us another extra couple of hours to add it up...whooo..whooo...

fishnski
December 25, 2014 (edited December 25, 2014)
3,530 posts
Saw snow on the silvercreek and SS cams at 1130 pm..(4800').......then watched a pretty Christmassy snow falling at 4000' SS Boathouse cam at 1235am....then saw my 1st flake on the 3200' TL cam at 1252am...counted 32 flakes by 101am!........like a kid waiting up for Santa.......Merry Christmas uall!!!!---
Droogie
December 29, 2014
76 posts

At what point does the winter start looking like a bust? For the next 10 days it doesn't look like there will be any off-piste skiing in WV. 

Can someone give me some hope? 

KeithT
December 29, 2014
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts

Not really hope but some fantasy. 

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfsp/2014122912/gfsp_asnow_us_41.png

fishnski
December 30, 2014
3,530 posts

Droogie wrote:

At what point does the winter start looking like a bust? For the next 10 days it doesn't look like there will be any off-piste skiing in WV. 

Can someone give me some hope? 

if you listened to all the long range fcasts by all these blogging Mets ( im guilty...wont do it again..as I ranted earlier..)you would have thought that we would be knee deep..for real..in an East coast cold pattern....they love to bring up these wx setups that they think will bring it on but mother Nature is just way too smart for them still!...
Instead what I am seeing is more of a pattern where the storms either are way too south of us or are running up the west side of the Mtn's.
the cold trough actually looks like it is more centered and maybe slightly west of center..(snow in vegas..cold out west..)...in the lower 48..
So we have to settle for the cold back side of the western running storms untill this pattern shifts east....thats the way it looks like Droogie said for the next 10 days..looking further out is just speculation at this point...and you can see what speculation has got us....hey...could be much worse and a ski area like SS can thrive with this pattern...

Droogie
December 30, 2014
76 posts

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Not what I want to hear. :(

SCWVA
December 30, 2014
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

fishnski wrote:

hey...could be much worse and a ski area like SS can thrive with this pattern...

So who's gonna blow the most over the next three days?

December 30, 2014
1,580 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Damn well better be every resort that has a snow gun.  It's hard to justify some of the lift ticket pricing for 1/2 open ski resorts.

fishnski
December 30, 2014
3,530 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

Damn well better be every resort that has a snow gun.  It's hard to justify some of the lift ticket pricing for 1/2 open ski resorts.

Hear..Hear!...there has been a clipper on the maps for the 6th thats been showing pretty consistently...if it pans out they usually put a nice fluff on the  western Front...

crgildart
December 30, 2014
767 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Bah, Humbug!!!

Rain, rain go away

Thanks, your spell worked.  We headed up to Appalachian this morning knowing that the forecast was rain likely til 11am then some clearing and mid 40s.  What actually happened is the temps dropped and it turned to snow.  And it didn't clear up, it snowed all day. The rain earlier this week and last night sent the (other) tourists away and we had no lines for most of the day.  It was starting to fill up when we left, but it was still snowing.  What a wonderful mistake those prognasticators made hahaha..

rbrtlav
December 30, 2014
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I know the 10 day is missing the natural snow...but this is the forecast the snowtime and other PA resorts want to see. I was at Liberty tonight and they were making snow like crazy, this weekend should be very nice and it looks like they are trying to open up some more of the backside very soon. Based on the webcams I would guess whitetail is planing on opening more terrain tomorrow or Thursday as well

fishnski
January 2, 2015 (edited January 2, 2015)
3,530 posts
Posted 3 days ago about a clipper rolling thru for the 6th....it has been trending north of the. Wv Alpps....7springs..Blueknob might like it....but it will still swing its tail thru and more importantly suck down some serious cold air....sooooooo...a little to more snow nortth but then an upslope backside period for the Alpps...cold is the big story..... Mostly cloudy, with a low around -4. Blustery..........nws for wed nite...WV high country stuff....fluff?
Antoine
January 4, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

After a weekend of a lot of temerature inversions it seems that  we will get some snow. Blue knob might get upwards of 5 at the top. As for the snow times whitetail will probably have more. And seven spring probably the most.

Droogie
January 5, 2015
76 posts

Yes!!!!! The weather pattern is flipping! I hope the off-piste/BC can be a go by MLK weekend! Even without major storms tons of snow making terrain will get open the next 10 days. 

fishnski
January 5, 2015 (edited January 5, 2015)
3,530 posts
30 to 1 fluffy snow ratio moving in tomorrow...looking better than it did a couple of days ago for more snow in the 7 to 10 day out period.... Brrrrrrrrrrrr......PV light movin in!
crgildart
January 5, 2015
767 posts

Looking at Wintergreen MLK Day.  Come to Pappa!

January 6, 2015
1,580 posts

Looks like the valley is winning big today.  SS, HV and 7S look pretty good too.

I've been wasting the better part of the morning on that webcam site I set up.   http://snowcamseast.com/

Winter is finally here!

fishnski
January 8, 2015 (edited January 8, 2015)
3,530 posts

This is a future thread so I am going to predict a future event....drop down an Arctic high which pumps some bone chillin temps over Canaan reaching an 11 below reading this morn..the arctic high which spins clockwise blows the wind south thru VA and over and out of NC..slowly curves around and slams into the Jacksonvlille,fl area bringing ocean effect snow showers....
actually happened today and will in the future...
Put a Canaan Valley 20 miles inland and we are talking a foot and a half up in the florida Alps!!.
A lot of folks think that all Canaan Valley or the rest of the western Front Alpps (which is what I Icall them) get is lake effect..I see all the time where most snow events get called.."lake effect"....I guess its just easier to call it that than by breaking it down but half the time it isnt lake effect..a really pure Lake effect would drop  a dump but would mean being in the path of a serious streamer off of the lakes like I experienced one Thanksgiving in the land of Canaan where we lined up just right with a band off of lake michigan that dropped a foot when 2 inches was predicted..
.ok..back to the ocean....we do get Atlantic ocean moisture from Noreasters but we can get ocean wetness from the Pacific as well..they are called clippers...we just had one which dropped a decent snow on the Alpps..the wrap around after it left the house was an upslope Lake enhanced event....Clippers are my Fav!....I get tired of waiting for Noreasters... then when they arrive sometimes they dont produce as hyped always....clippers can over produce like the last one!......

David
January 8, 2015
2,444 posts

So what's Monday shaping up to do? NOAA just changed from rain to snow.

Who's skiing Timberline Monday? 

fishnski
January 8, 2015
3,530 posts

David wrote:

Here is what the pros are saying..figure it out......

LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
POTENTIALLY AN UNSETTLED PATTERN SETTING UP IN THE EXTENDED. A SPLIT
FLOW PATTERN WILL MEAN AN ACTIVE S STREAM DOING BATTLE WITH N STREAM
COLD AIR. APPEARS SEVERAL WEAK SYSTEMS IN THE S STREAM WILL HAVE TO
BE MONITORED. A KEY PLAYER WILL BE STRENGTH OF COLD SURFACE HIGH
PROGGED TO SET UP OVER THE GREAT LAKES. JUST HOW MUCH COLD AIR WILL
BE SUPPLIED FOR THE S STREAM SYSTEMS TO WORK WITH REMAINS IN
QUESTION ALONG WITH N EXTENT OF LIGHT PRECIP FROM S STREAM WAVES.
HAVE GENERALLY FOLLOWED HPC GUIDANCE AT THIS POINT...INCORPORATING
SOME DETAIL FROM LATEST ECMWF. ELECTED TO LEAVE OUT OF HWO FOR NOW
UNTIL SOME OF THE DETAILS CAN COME INTO BETTER FOCUS.

My bet is wet for monday..sorry.....hopefully a sorry predict!

fishnski
January 11, 2015 (edited January 11, 2015)
3,530 posts

fishnski wrote:

David wrote:

My bet is wet for monday..sorry.....hopefully a sorry predict!..(fishnski)

Did ya take my bet or did you keep ur plans David?..

NWS Canaan...
Monday Rain. Temperature rising to near 42 by 8am, then falling to around 31 during the remainder of the day. West wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

cold air will try to catch up but the bulk of moisture will have moved on by then...sooo..a wet day till late aft/eve...

Milder period moving in from what I can tell...Late 16th? till ..22nd?..give or take..22nd is a long way off....

David
January 11, 2015
2,444 posts

I listened and braved the cold/broken lifts and had a great time at Timberline yesterday. Got to hang out with part the the Tline Tele Posse, I kind of felt out of place being on alpine gear. 

TomH
January 12, 2015
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

David - fun skiing with you Saturday.  Things warmed up a bit on Sunday and the snow was great.  Hope your Doctor duties allow you to get out soon.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

What broken lifts?

fishnski
January 17, 2015
3,530 posts
Starting sunday midday and with bits n pieces thru the next 8 days or so its looking good snow n cold wise.....looks like the Jan Thaw threat wasnt all that!....
fishnski
January 17, 2015
3,530 posts

Here is a 6 day total snowfall fcast

January 20, 2015
1,580 posts

It looks like most of the Mid A resorts are going to get some snow tomorrow. (Wed)

Mr Fish - could I get a weekend update?  Rumblings on Facebook from the hypesters about a Sat / Sun storm.

I'm heading out west and have a connection in Balt on Sat morning.     

fishnski
January 20, 2015 (edited January 20, 2015)
3,530 posts
Heading west?....hmmmmmm.....better cancel....gonna be icing probs sat morn at BWI....too risky....just head a little north to roundtop and enjoy!....ok..jus jeolous post...........still a ways out and you know how these coastals go....especially for the I95 corr...if uve lived there u know the drill.....anyhoot...I dont read the FB blogs anymore and do my own DD but ive had my eye on this sytem for awhile now.....course im just looking for the high country prospects but at this EARLY stage im thinking that around 7am sat morn the. Surface 32 degree line will be just south of the mason dixon line with BWI a little too warm for snow...freezing level could be as close as. 1400' above the tarmac....keep watching it and have a great trip bud!.............posted from SPhone.on couch....
fishnski
January 21, 2015 (edited January 21, 2015)
3,530 posts
The last couple runs of the gfs and nam bring the storm in a little faster and colder...lots of fine tuning coming in im sure but the latest play by play lowers the freeze level over the BWI area to around 400' +/- which means a wet snow Sat morn is a probability......the rest of the area is looking nice n snowy with a series of upcoming ops... from the mountains all the way down to the beaches even...get the sleds out kids!
fishnski
January 22, 2015
3,530 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Mr Fish - could I get a weekend update?  Rumblings on Facebook from the hypesters about a Sat / Sun storm.

I'm heading out west and have a connection in Balt on Sat morning.

Ok...I dont do low country but when I get a request I try to study the situation and respond...this isnt easy and requires waking up to see the latest model runs ect....

there has been the usual hype for the storm this sat the 24th and Blue don did what a lot of folks do here on DC Ski..under the umbrela of a thread they fake ask a question to get out the fact that they are doing what we all wish we could do....I posted a serious response to what kind of conditions u would see at BWI sat morn...and no resonse...typical.......and now since i have spent some studies on the situation i will keep on saying that it aint nothin but a wet thang...like my first post...I95 east might get some snow/sleet/freezing rain at first when the storm first approaches but will change to rain and then maybe back to snow but im thinking that the storm will be over by then  fast mover...
Sorry to bust ur balls Don but This has been building up from years of reading posts on DC SKI...Fake posts just to get ur name on the board...losers!

January 22, 2015
1,580 posts

I'm confused - Are you busting MY hump for a "real" question?  Then calling ME out for fake posts?

Really?

Alpine Hokie
January 22, 2015
Member since 01/30/2009 🔗
14 posts

fishnski wrote:

Sorry to bust ur balls Don but This has been building up from years of reading posts on DC SKI...Fake posts just to get ur name on the board...losers!

Ouch!!

crgildart
January 25, 2015
767 posts

Anybody up for some urban bushwhacking? 

Antoine
January 26, 2015
275 posts

crgildart wrote:

Anybody up for some urban bushwhacking? 

Lets hit up that one "resort"in rhode island... Mmmmm seafood with some nice pow cant beet that.

Antoine
January 27, 2015
275 posts

New system rolling in on sat/sun

snapdragon
January 27, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

Please post more information on this system that is supposed to rolling in.

Antoine
January 27, 2015
275 posts

snapdragon wrote:

First off welcom. I'm not the weather guts thats fishandski

January 27, 2015
1,580 posts

snapdragon wrote:

Herb Stevens hints at it on his update today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEtejpgB-ZM&feature=youtu.be

Droogie
January 28, 2015
76 posts

Overall, the next 10 days look pretty cold. No major thaw immenent with some refresher systems possible. woot!

fishnski
January 28, 2015
3,530 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I'm confused - Are you busting MY hump for a "real" question?  Then calling ME out for fake posts?

Really?

where did ya go BD?...I just had the grumps...to many times folks will ask fake questions just to get on DCski...asking fake questions just to get thier name on the board or  they a fake question that they could give a hoot about..as long as they got a post in...
U r a valued poster and if u did ask the question about the wx and just got to busy to follow up after i posted a few times about it..then no big deal...sorry....

jimmy
February 10, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

fishnski wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Really?

where did ya go BD?...I just had the grumps...to many times folks will ask fake questions just to get on DCski...asking fake questions just to get thier name on the board or  they a fake question that they could give a hoot about..as long as they got a post in...
U r a valued poster and if u did ask the question about the wx and just got to busy to follow up after i posted a few times about it..then no big deal...sorry....

Hey Grumpy, Howsa bout your outlook for this weekend? Big cold weather but can we count on any snow?

February 10, 2015
1,580 posts

fishnski wrote:

I missed this post / reply.  No worries Mr Fish.  It was a legit question at the time.  But you make sure you eat a good breakfast and get plenty of rest the next time I ask you a weather question.  I don't want that case of the Grumps to flare up! LOL

February 15, 2015 (edited February 15, 2015)
1,580 posts

Sunday night thru Monday via Chris Bailey of kyweathercenter.com

February 15, 2015
1,576 posts

You've discovered my man' Chris Bailey( or is this a 'fake post' (:-). Chris is great at analyzing weather trends and not making predictions until the time is right. Brutal weather today at HV. I did not ski.

February 16, 2015
1,580 posts

You're right about Bailey - no hype.  I liked when he worked in WV and covered SS.  Brutal cold in W PA yesterday.  Looks like HV got some nice snow over the weekend.  Negative temps and $70 lift ticket kept my butt at home on Sunday.

ParkCrewDrew
February 16, 2015
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

I am wondering how much snowshoe is getting out of this recent snow...+12" I am thinking. 

crgildart
February 16, 2015
767 posts

Snow Miser even made it this far south tonight.

crgildart
February 25, 2015
767 posts

INCOMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I could go get some of this.  Gonna be wet snow at our house, fun for the sleds.  Hope the mountains get the good stuff!

March 2, 2015
1,580 posts

I was reading Chris Bailey's KY Weather Center page and he appears to be growing in confidence for decent (if not major) snow event for Thursday into WV.  Winterplace and Snowshoe seem to be in for it.

ParkCrewDrew
March 20, 2015
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

Today Seven Springs got 3-5" and Blue Knob got 6-8".  Not bad for this late in the season.   Better act fast because it won't be lasting long. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?