Blue Knob Seasonal conditions & Laurels.
46 posts
14 users
4k+ views
Antoine
January 15, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

I figured that making one thread for all of west and central pa wa a good idea so go ahed and post.  Bk said on a FB post tht snowmaking on extrovert has started (lower and upper)  Snow/ rain forcasted for sunday so heads up. Big snowmaking pilles are on steamboggen.

Antoine
January 15, 2015
275 posts

https://m.facebook.com/BlueKnobAllSeasonsResort/photos/a.10152841222577740.1073741835.162343847739/10152841222697740/?type=1&source=49

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 15, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Antoine - here's a little helper tip if you use Chrome as a browser.  Easier for all us to see the pics

Right click on the photo you wish to share and select copy image url.

When posting in the forum click on the the image icon (top row to the right of the flag - similar to below) 

Then paste the url you just copied in the URL line - then hit OK

It will display the photo VS you posting a link that all of us must copy and open.  

Please note I'm not trying to be a wiseguy.  Just trying to make it easier for all of us.

January 15, 2015
1,580 posts

BTW - I looked at all the BK pics from today.  Things look pretty good up there.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Antoine
January 15, 2015
275 posts

Sorry about that, I use fire fox (I know dont judge me) I will take your advice though.

January 15, 2015
1,580 posts

Antoine wrote:

Sorry about that, I use fire fox (I know dont judge me) I will take your advice though.

Should be very similar if not exact for firefox - no shame in firefox.  I used it all the time.  I just happen to have a chromebook now.

Antoine
January 19, 2015
275 posts

Blue Don, you where at BK yesturday how  was it?

January 19, 2015 (edited January 19, 2015)
1,580 posts

For me, it was fantastic.  No crowds, great snow conditions.  None of their double blacks or trees are open but that's not my thing. They ran lift 3 (beginner area) lift 1 (2 person) and lift 4 (triple)  lift 3 was not running and does not even have enough snow near it to start it just yet.  Lifts were a non issue as there was no crowds to speak of on Sunday.

If you are looking for tree skiing, upper / lower extrovert and lower shortway you may want to hold off until those get open.

If you are a mid atlantic cruiser like me, it was ideal.  Price was right, uncrowded slopes in the AM and little if any lift lines.

I've only been to BK 3 times and it has never been crowded.  2 of my daughters live in Indiana PA which was an easy 1:05 drive. I'll definitely be skiing it a couple more times this year.

Antoine
January 26, 2015
275 posts

Its official folks BK is open for the season. Both of the extroverts are closed but all glades except east wall are open. Might rush a trip over or will wait untill the gathering. Enjoy them!

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 27, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I made it to BK yesterday. Expressway had ten inches or so of pow (skiers right side) and I skied it all up as all the experts were hitting lines off the midstation. The triple was not running so few ventured to the upper trails until mid-day when they finally started loading. Thank you BK management for the late start of the triple. What was that gospel line by Saint Jimmy? Never leave good snow to search for better snow. I made about a dozen runs and found untracked then minimally tracked snow...sweet. The glades off of Jack were roped when I went by and no, I didn't poach them. East Wall glade roped too. Skyline was open and already cut up when I skied it. Lower 66 was roped. They were blowing snow on Extrovert and both upper and lower should be open by this weekend, Ditch was open. I didn't ski High hopes or Deer Run as both appeared to be tracked out and I knew where the better snow was hiding. By time I got to Stem it was pretty skied out, big piles of natural and hard pack between, a good exercise in balance. Somehow I failed to try Shortway so I don't know if it was open.

Antoine
January 27, 2015
275 posts

@ LHC BK confirmed that ' extrovert' will open today/ tomorrow on a fb post. I dont know if this means both but its open now , and that's all that matters!

wgo
January 27, 2015
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

What was that gospel line by Saint Jimmy? Never leave good snow to search for better snow.

Isn't that a Denis line? Although I am sure Jimmy has said it as well.

camp
January 27, 2015
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

wgo wrote:

What was that gospel line by Saint Jimmy? Never leave good snow to search for better snow.

Surfers too:

Never leave good surf to find good surf.

Guilty too often

January 27, 2015
2,038 posts

wgo wrote:

I think jimmy coined it and Denis always lives by it. Perhaps both will chime in and set the record straight.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 27, 2015 (edited January 27, 2015)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I love it and live by it.  I first heard it in the ski video, "Big Mountain - Little Skier", a production of my friend Nils Larson.  It's my all time favorite ski video.  All powder, all the time.  Its a Freeheels production, however the skiers are so good and the powder so deep that most of the time you cant tell what kind of turn they are making.  And, the longer I do this, the more it becomes clear that its all the same anyway.  You turn by changing the edges, not by changing the lead.

January 27, 2015
2,038 posts

Record set straight. Thanks Denis for the true back story.

Droogie
January 28, 2015
Member since 03/22/2012 🔗
76 posts

Extrovert is open! I'd go this weekend, but I am going to Winter Park, CO to ski 4 days on Friday. Please keep thaws away!

nakedskier
January 28, 2015
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts

I'm heading up there on Saturday!  Will be my first trip to Blue Knob.  

Is Blue Knob known for the crowds?  Should I expect to see Whitetail level of crowds?  

crgildart
January 28, 2015
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

nakedskier wrote:

Is Blue Knob known for the crowds?  Should I expect to see Whitetail level of crowds?  

No, you should expect to ski right up to the lift just about every time.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
January 28, 2015
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

nakedskier wrote:

You will drive up and park right next to the lodge.  When you walk into the lodge be prepared to be transported to 1982.  Maybe earlier.  Same thing on the lifts.  But hey, that is one of the reasons nobody is there!

camp
January 28, 2015
660 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

... be prepared to be transported to 1982.  Maybe earlier.  Same thing on the lifts.  But hey, that is one of the reasons nobody is there!

Yea, like 1963, the year it opened.

fishnski
January 28, 2015
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

camp wrote:

wgo wrote:

Surfers too:

Never leave good surf to find good surf.

Guilty too often

Ive been trying to find something I disagree with ya Camp..still pissed at u.....havnt found anything yet....keep posting!....u mudda....

camp
January 28, 2015
660 posts

fishnski wrote:

Ive been trying to find something I disagree with ya Camp..still pissed at u.....havnt found anything yet....keep posting!....u mudda....

camp wrote:

Rarely do I say agree with anything fishnski says ;), but I know that Canaan is the spot.

Awesome ;) Because of this?  Just spit out some more [high octane] beer.  WIsh I could zing every one with single sentences like that.  Here's a pic from the other night you can use for your dart board :)

Cheers

hoping for a powder weekend for ya

or, big fish and clean waves

January 28, 2015
2,038 posts

Just back from my second day this week at BK and everything open except Lower Shortway which appears to have been groomed! I've never seen Lower Shorway groomed. Now perhaps it was just a little ways down to before Short Cut but I saw the corduroy tracks begin at the rope on Deer Run and disappear over the horizon. I didn't ski East Wall Glade because I could see that the mid point headwall was already pretty scraped off. I skied all the rest of the glades except Ditch. The lower angled glades had good cover and even some untracked at the edges. Ditch was closed the first time I went by and me and daughter blew right by as I noticed the rope was down on the second pass. Extrovert was good for the most part except the downhill sides of some of the machine made snow whales, icy. Bumps were just beginning to grow on skier's right. Stem was groomed out and a fun snaky cruise with the lower field perfect for huge GS turns. Deer Run was ungroomed virgin machine made on skier's left, very icy, but softer small bumps on skier's right. They were blowing snow on the run out on the bottom. All the powder I skied up on Expressway was now groomed smooth, High Hopes too. 66 had good cover and opened later in the day but I did not ski it.

Talking to an employee there and rumor is that the snowmaking will end for the season this week. Maybe Scott can find out if there is any truth to this.

camp
January 28, 2015
660 posts

..Talking to an employee there and rumor is that the snowmaking will end for the season this week. Maybe Scott can find out if there is any truth to this.

Wow.  Wonder if they'll groom any more?  Like those whales

crgildart
January 28, 2015
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Forecast next week is pretty cold with chance of snow a couple days.  Looks like a DEEP FREEZE for our gathering the 6th-8th.

Antoine
January 29, 2015
275 posts

camp wrote:

RodneyBD wrote:

... be prepared to be transported to 1982.  Maybe earlier.  Same thing on the lifts.  But hey, that is one of the reasons nobody is there!

Yea, like 1963, the year it opened... maybe more like the year the air force base opend up out there...

January 29, 2015
2,038 posts

camp wrote:

..Talking to an employee there and rumor is that the snowmaking will end for the season this week. Maybe Scott can find out if there is any truth to this.

Wow.  Wonder if they'll groom any more?  Like those whales

The whales on Extrovert are more like dolphins. :~D No they will not be groomed. I've seen Lower Extrovert groomed only once in all the years I've been there. I'm not a local or even a regular so it may have occurred more often. I don't think that they can groom Upper because of the very steep, short drops at the intersections of 66 and High Hopes. 

The snow mounds make a steep face a little steeper. Remember, I skied them just 2 days after they stopped making snow so the new stuff really hasn't "cured" ye so they were still very hard, near ice. This side of the trail (skiers left on Upper Ex) always seems to be the more "technical"  line.

Antoine
January 30, 2015
275 posts

This a update to  Bk website rather hten condions... LHC you have been fetured on the BK website! your and tc post on eic is now on bk:)

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 30, 2015
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Antoine wrote:

This a update to  Bk website rather hten condions... LHC you have been fetured on the BK website! your and tc post on eic is now on bk:)

Very cool!

skimastersam
January 31, 2015
Member since 01/30/2015 🔗
4 posts

made a new account after lurking the past two seasons because i had to say,

AWESOME conditions at blue knob yesterday, they had 4-5" on the ground and it snowed heavily the whole time I was there for probably another 2-3". Everything was open, extrovert was great, but the best trail of the day was route 66, they didn't open it until about 2 in the afternoon so it had the most snow build up, i was getting face shots from big powder piles for the next couple hours!

as a boston-area transplant to DC it is awesome to have such a gem of a mountain that reminds me of the challenging new england slopes i grew up skiing!

nakedskier
February 2, 2015
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts

I was there on Saturday and I found a few remaining powder spots left over from that mid-week storm.  

It was my first trip to the Knob and I must say I was impressed!  Quality ski experience on the natural runs and steep enough to keep me entertained for a full day of skiing.  I really hope I can get back when there is a legit powder day.  

Although, I don't think my MINI would make it up the mountain road to the parking area....

Antoine
February 2, 2015
275 posts

nakedskier wrote:

Although, I don't think my MINI would make it up the mountain road to the parking area.... take the southern route from pavia...

February 2, 2015
2,038 posts

or from Claysburg just 2 exits north on I99. Ski Gap Road to Left Hand Gap Rd to Overland Pass Road right to the lodge at the top of the mountain but good luck coming from any direction after a storm. It's all up hill, PA's second highest summit after all. 

nakedskier
February 3, 2015
Member since 02/3/2005 🔗
93 posts

Thanks!  I may just have to borrow the girlfriend's subaru to satisfy my pow fetish at Blue Knob...

Antoine
February 4, 2015
275 posts

Welcome evrybody to the new show, The good bad & ugly. in todays show we talk about blue knob removing the summit cam. Dont bellive me that fine go and check for your self... JK... i am gonna try to ask what  happened to it my next visit.

Droogie
February 5, 2015
Member since 03/22/2012 🔗
76 posts

What is the story with all of Extrovert and the glades still being closed? 

February 5, 2015
2,038 posts

All were open last week. Could be closed due to icing. That happens but will open later when snow softens. 

Antoine
February 5, 2015
275 posts

All were open last week. Could be closed due to icing. That happens but will open later when snow softens. 

Should be an amazing day for the gathering 50s in DC. I know they closed some day this week becue of wind, But they posted some amazing pics on their fb page

scootertig
February 12, 2015
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts

Thinking of heading to BK on Sunday. Right now, it looks like most of the glades and expert terrain are closed. Is that a "weekday closures protect weekend snow" decision, or are they really likely to be closed through the weekend? I don't know if it's worth the drive if it's all groomers...

wgo
February 13, 2015
1,666 posts

scootertig wrote:

Thinking of heading to BK on Sunday. Right now, it looks like most of the glades and expert terrain are closed. Is that a "weekday closures protect weekend snow" decision, or are they really likely to be closed through the weekend? I don't know if it's worth the drive if it's all groomers...

I recall a couple instances where some here reported that Extrovert was open even though it was marked as closed on the online ski report. Right now (and for the past several days) the number of open trails has been listed as "22-25". I guess they sometimes list a trail as closed and then open it up later in the day?

February 13, 2015
2,038 posts

Often trails are closed during the morning but open later in the day. On Feb. 7 Lower 66 was closed until 2 or so. If Ex is closed it is due to icy conditions and won't open until the glare ice softens. I don't think there has been a significant snowfall there this week so natural snow terrain will be very iffy to open. Maybe tomorrow's snow will help.

wgo
February 13, 2015
1,666 posts

Often trails are closed during the morning but open later in the day. On Feb. 7 Lower 66 was closed until 2 or so. If Ex is closed it is due to icy conditions and won't open until the glare ice softens. I don't think there has been a significant snowfall there this week so natural snow terrain will be very iffy to open. Maybe tomorrow's snow will help.

Got it. So when I see "22-25" trails open on the ski report, that basically means that Upper Ex, Lower Ex, and Lower 66 *may* open depending on conditions later in the day?

camp
February 13, 2015
660 posts

wgo wrote:

Got it. So when I see "xxxxx" trails open on the ski report, 

In my experience, you can't read anything into anything from Blue Knob.  Seems to me often that Patrol simply hasn't ski checked runs.  Runs that were listed as open the day before, and at the ticket window, are closed with a rope and are perfectly skiable from appearances.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 13, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

During my BK years I often 'opened' Extrovert.  I'd look at it all day, maybe do a test turn then climb back up where high hopes crosses.  The patrol would say it hadnt softened enough.  Then about 2-2:30 Id go down.  By the time I rode the chair the rope had been dropped.  I knew all the patrol, and one of the captains was a good friend and a colleague at work.  

wgo
February 13, 2015
1,666 posts

Denis wrote:

During my BK years I often 'opened' Extrovert.  I'd look at it all day, maybe do a test turn then climb back up where high hopes crosses.  The patrol would say it hadnt softened enough.  Then about 2-2:30 Id go down.  By the time I rode the chair the rope had been dropped.  I knew all the patrol, and one of the captains was a good friend and a colleague at work.  

Interesting stuff. Hopefully when I am up there in a couple weeks Extrovert will be open at least part of the time.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?