Ski Apache NM Jan 25th
5 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2015 (edited January 26, 2015)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I'm on a 3 state tour this week.  New Mexico on Sat and Sun, West TX to visit grandaughter on Mon, Tue and Wed, then Telluride CO Thu - Sun.

I was lucky enough to be in New Mexico this weekend after the area received a 2 foot dump on Thursday.  I stayed in a cool little town called Ruidoso on Sat night and did a quick day trip up to Ski Apache.

It was a bluebird day and I got first chair with a guy from Birmingham, AL who is taking a 3 week ski trip of a bunch of ski resorts in NM and CO.

Nothing spectacular  - just a nice ski area in the southern rockies.  I need to buy a nice camera b/c these pics do not do the views any justice.

I'd compare it to Holiday Valley or Snowshoe but with much longer runs.  

I've never been to NM.   I'm glad I had a chance to check it out.  Ski Apache is not a bucket list destination but good enough to add a sticker to my helmet.

crgildart
January 26, 2015 (edited January 26, 2015)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

My avatar photo was taken there, back when it was called Sierra Blanca around 1985.  Was a great place to spend a spring break in college.

Did yu hike up to the summit past the lifts and check out that sunken patio they have (or had?) there with the plaque that talked about the nuclear bomb tests they did nearby?

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
January 26, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I did not.  I'm just a groomer cruiser. No hiking for me.  I do remember a long winding green trail named Sierra Blanca.  

That mountain road was pretty narly getting up there but the views were spectacular.

I wish I had an extra day to poke around more.  It's 4 hours from my daughters place in Midland TX so I think I'll have a chance to check out the area in the future.

I can see why they test bombs out there.  Holy moly - miles and miles of literally nothing from NM to TX

FreshPow
January 26, 2015
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Good for you! It's been almost 25 years since I last visited, but I don't think it's changed much from my college years in Texas. Yes, that drive up is quite a doozy. Much like you say it's a bigger version of Snowshoe or HV, I'd say that's a longer version of Blue Knob's! A great 'mom and pop' hill Rocky Mountain style.

True, it's not a destination, but it's a cool one to have checked off your list. You'll now have random charlift conversations every few years with someone else who says they've visited as well. A good chat always ensues - both about the mountain and why you were anywhere near there!

JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 26, 2015
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Thanks for sharing.  You bagged one pretty far off the regular beaten path.  I've never been there.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?