35 posts
13 users
8k+ views
miamichillin99
January 26, 2015
Member since 01/25/2013 🔗
19 posts

Hi,

With today's snowstorm I'm a bit worried about driving out to SS, having crashed once before on this drive.  Any suggestions what is the best route to take to SS from DC.

Thanks.

Antoine
January 26, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

HAHAHA  blue don you might not like it...

I suggest A head further north to cannan valley resorts because its a northern storm. Or B go to blue Knob because its a shorter drive ( all interstate until you go throught claysbur, go through pavia not as hard of a road) And they have just about all of the glades open... sorry I just cant stand balhooter lines. We got .1k vert on evrything not 1.5 on 2 runs like the shoe. Some ppl like the reosrt feel, but to me I just say not the right week for the shoe. go hit up 7s ( they got a foot in the last week and blue knob got almost two) Not the time for the shoe' Heck I was able to go powder skiing 20 mins north of whitetail for a vert of 700!

Lets hope  the crusher doesent get drunk again...

miamichillin99
January 26, 2015
19 posts

Antoine wrote:

HAHAHA  blue don you might not like it...

I suggest A head further north to cannan valley resorts because its a northern storm. Or B go to blue Knob because its a shorter drive ( all interstate until you go throught claysbur, go through pavia not as hard of a road) And they have just about all of the glades open... sorry I just cant stand balhooter lines. We got .1k vert on evrything not 1.5 on 2 runs like the shoe. Some ppl like the reosrt feel, but to me I just say not the right week for the shoe. go hit up 7s ( they got a foot in the last week and blue knob got almost two) Not the time for the shoe' Heck I was able to go powder skiing 20 mins north of whitetail for a vert of 700!

Lets hope  the crusher doesent get drunk again...

Thanks Antoine but too late. My lodging and lift tickets are booked. No cancellation. I have been to both BK and CV and like both. Never been to 7S though. Maybe next trip I'll give it a try. 

Now can anyone recommend a good route to SS please. 

Antoine
January 27, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

SS has the worst drive. Either way you have to go through the last part. How ever you can go through slaty fork in the north. Not sure if its going to be better tho. What ever you do DO NOT GO through Staunton va. I made he mistake of missing the turn and I paid the price. No snow once so ever but it took 8 hours. We had snow on the way back and we went the other rout and it took 6 and a half. I have explored the idea of taking 220 at Petersburg not sure about it tho.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
NonstopSki
January 27, 2015 (edited January 27, 2015)
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts

I wish I could find the route that someone posted here (to avoid backups at certain points) that I would strongly advise to avoid. The route I took was more backroadsy than the normal route to SS already is... so part of my says just go with what your Google maps says and then post it here for others to modify if need be. 

The last 30 miles or so seem to be the worst no matter what way you go. Don't do it at night if you can avoid. 

Norsk
January 27, 2015
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

From DC I think its pretty hard to beat the following: I66 to I81 S, 5 miles to Route 55 West.  55 becomes US 48 in Wardensville WV.  Follow that (4 lane) to Moorefield WV, then exit US 48 and continue S on 55 to Petersburg and Seneca Rocks. There continue on 28 and 92 to Green Bank and then on 66 to Cass and up the back way to Snowshoe.  This route basically avoids most nasty switchback climbs until the final stretch from Cass up to the Shoe.  

Reisen
January 28, 2015 (edited January 28, 2015)
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

Norsk wrote:

From DC I think its pretty hard to beat the following: I66 to I81 S, 5 miles to Route 55 West.  55 becomes US 48 in Wardensville WV.  Follow that (4 lane) to Moorefield WV, then exit US 48 and continue S on 55 to Petersburg and Seneca Rocks. There continue on 28 and 92 to Green Bank and then on 66 to Cass and up the back way to Snowshoe.  This route basically avoids most nasty switchback climbs until the final stretch from Cass up to the Shoe.  

Norsk has it right.  I've driven pretty much every reasonable route from DC to Snowshoe, including 220 from Moorefield, 250 from Staunton, and 33 from Harrisonburg.  I would rate 33 the prettiest, and both 250 and 33 stay away from speed traps, but 48/55 is definitely the easiest (and likely the quickest). 

The only route I haven' taken that I've heard of is to take 33 to Elkins from Seneca Rocks, and then head down 219.

ETA: Also, I think the key is to drive at appropriate speeds, and pull over for people that want to drive faster than you.  In good weather, in a performance car, I'll take those roads pretty quickly.  In poor weather, or with people in the backseat (who I don't want vomiting), I will slow way down, and frequently pull over to let locals pass.  When I see people get into trouble is when they feel pressured into driving faster than they are comfortable with.

eggraid
January 29, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Reisen wrote:

Norsk wrote:

Norsk has it right.  I've driven pretty much every reasonable route from DC to Snowshoe, including 220 from Moorefield, 250 from Staunton, and 33 from Harrisonburg.  I would rate 33 the prettiest, and both 250 and 33 stay away from speed traps, but 48/55 is definitely the easiest (and likely the quickest). 

The only route I haven' taken that I've heard of is to take 33 to Elkins from Seneca Rocks, and then head down 219.

ETA: Also, I think the key is to drive at appropriate speeds, and pull over for people that want to drive faster than you.  In good weather, in a performance car, I'll take those roads pretty quickly.  In poor weather, or with people in the backseat (who I don't want vomiting), I will slow way down, and frequently pull over to let locals pass.  When I see people get into trouble is when they feel pressured into driving faster than they are comfortable with.

Yes this is the best route for sure. It sounds pretty simple, but there are several times you have to make a turn to stay on the same road, so pay attention. Also you will be on a single road, but it will have several route #'s (55/48 and 28/92 for instance) which can be confusing. Follow I-66 until you get to I-81, and follow that until you get to 55 West. Follow that through Wardensville, onto the beautiful 4 lane highway through Moorefield and Petersburg. When you get to 28, take that to Green Bank, and when you get to 66, take that to Snowshoe. 

plateau-reached
February 2, 2015
Member since 12/20/2011 🔗
88 posts

Piggybacking onto this thread:

I'll be driving to Snowshoe this upcoming Saturday in the morning. My first time there. I have a compact car with no four-wheel drive -- how concerned should I be about that? Should I make extra efforts to try to borrow an SUV?

I assume the route that Norsk posted (and others agreed with) would be my best option. Thanks for posting that.

SCWVA
February 2, 2015
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Norsk wrote:

In lieu of exitiing at Moorefield, continue on Rt 48 to Rt5 (Patterson Creek Rd).  Take Rt 42S to Rt 55W.  This is a lot faster, as you avoid the stop lights and speed traps in Moorefield & Petersburg.   

There's actually a sign for Snowshoe on Corridor H at the Rt. 5 exit, which I find funny as Snowshoe is still over 2hrs away.

plateau-reached
February 2, 2015
88 posts

SCWVA wrote:

In lieu of exitiing at Moorefield, continue on Rt 48 to Rt5 (Patterson Creek Rd).  Take Rt 42S to Rt 55W.  This is a lot faster, as you avoid the stop lights and speed traps in Moorefield & Petersburg.   

There's actually a sign for Snowshoe on Corridor H at the Rt. 5 exit, which I find funny as Snowshoe is still over 2hrs away.

Well, is that the best option for someone in my situation? (As I mentioned, I have a compact car with no four-wheel drive. Not the best car for navigating snowy mountain roads.)

Norsk
February 2, 2015
317 posts

That variant (which is a good one) is fine for compact cars.  The issue for you will be the last 10 miles.  Whether you come the back way via Cass or the original entry via the Marlinton area, you have to climb the mountain.  Really depends how your car does in snow.  I have 4WD, and I have slalomed cars which were stuck/spinning going up the back way from Cass in a snowstorm.

plateau-reached
February 2, 2015
88 posts

Norsk wrote:

That variant (which is a good one) is fine for compact cars.  The issue for you will be the last 10 miles.  Whether you come the back way via Cass or the original entry via the Marlinton area, you have to climb the mountain.  Really depends how your car does in snow.  I have 4WD, and I have slalomed cars which were stuck/spinning going up the back way from Cass in a snowstorm.

Of the two routes you mentioned above, is one safer for a non-4WD car?

I'm going to watch the forecast... if it will be actively snowing on Saturday morning or even the night beforehand, I'll need to rethink my travel plans. I don't want to get stuck in a bad situation.

Norsk
February 2, 2015
317 posts

Someone who goes to SS regularly should respond. I haven't been in several years.  IIRC the original approach is a better road.  However the problem is that you may need to climb some other mountains to get over to the Marlinton area.  I don't recall exactly.

eggraid
February 2, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Norsk wrote:

Continuing on Rt. 48 to Rt. 5 will allow you to drive faster, but it is a little longer so I've found it only saves a couple mins and we like to stop in Petersburg, it's pretty much the last town that you drive through. 

If it hasn't snowed within the past 24 hrs or so, you should be fine with a 2wd compact car, if it is front wheel drive. Either of the two routes above will be fine. There is no getting around the most difficult part of the drive, the last 20 miles. Sometimes if it is snowing the mountain pass near Wardensville is sketchy. But looking at the forecast now, I would be perfectly comfortable driving up there in a 2wd on this Saturday. It should be smooth sailing. It's a drive where you will convince yourself that you are lost, because you barely see anyone else on the road. It is a much easier drive during the day and certainly when it is not snowing. 

Reisen
February 3, 2015
Member since 01/25/2005 🔗
368 posts

plateau-reached wrote:

Norsk wrote:

Of the two routes you mentioned above, is one safer for a non-4WD car?

I'm going to watch the forecast... if it will be actively snowing on Saturday morning or even the night beforehand, I'll need to rethink my travel plans. I don't want to get stuck in a bad situation.

6 of one, half/dozen of another (ie. it's a toss-up.)  You still have to take Rt 66 from Cass, and that road has some elevation changes and a lot of tight curves. 

I've driven to Snowshoe many times, in FWD, RWD, and AWD vehicles.  Snowshoe does a great job of keeping both access roads plowed, but if it's actively snowing, there's only so much they can do, especially given that you're driving up a mountain. 

I've never gotten stuck myself, but always rented or borrowed an AWD SUV when I knew it would be snowing.  I have seen numerous cars struggling to get up, as well as cars pulled over that gave up.  Twice I have given rides up or down the mountain to people that just left their cars at the bottom.

Moral of the story?  Light snow, you should be fine.  If they're predicting a big dump, I'd rent / borrow AWD, or buy chains.

miamichillin99
February 6, 2015
19 posts

I made it back...barely.  The way to SS was great.  Unfortunately the drive back was horrible.  I got the south end of Snow Storm Linus on Monday afternoon.  When I hit the Allegheny mountains around Harman, WV it was impossible.  I had 0 visibility and over 50mph winds.  Turned it around and drove to elkins to get a room.  The next day was fine and roads were clear.  Always check the weather prior to starting your drive.  Lesson learned!  I would have much rather stayed an extra night in SS.

Bumps
February 7, 2015
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

miamichillin99 wrote:

I made it back...barely.  The way to SS was great.  Unfortunately the drive back was horrible.  I got the south end of Snow Storm Linus on Monday afternoon.  When I hit the Allegheny mountains around Harman, WV it was impossible.  I had 0 visibility and over 50mph winds.  Turned it around and drove to elkins to get a room.  The next day was fine and roads were clear.  Always check the weather prior to starting your drive.  Lesson learned!  I would have much rather stayed an extra night in SS.

Agree always good to check weather, but can be unpredictable regardless. Growing up in the area the rule was full tank of gas, shovel, cat litter and sleeping bag or blanket in the car. Snow plows will clear main roads fairly quickly after a storm, but depending on where you pulled off you may struggle to get back on road regardless in a small car. So plan for the worst and hope for the best when it comes to mountain roads driving. If you do pull off, Run car just enough to warm it up and sleep bundled up until you can't stand it anymore and repeat and keep tailpipe clear. Oh and doesn't hurt to keep food in car. Even in a 4-wheel drive you can get stuck somewhere due to accident  or such. A couple years ago my son and I got caught in a snow/ice storm and behind 20+ car pile up near chrolettesville on way to SS. Was glad we had cheese and crackers to carry us through the 3 hour wait, makes a huge difference in your attitude. Slow and steady is the rule and reccomend every one learn the physics of driving in snow, it will help keep you from making a bad situation worse. Most people who live on that area can't afford 4-wheel drives so they are just smarter about when they move and how they move around.. Oh and that snow storm ended up being one of the best fresh powder days we had. Arrived at SS around 5 or 6 am slept for an hour or two and hit the slopes for an awesome day. So sometimes it takes s worth the calculated risk :).

plateau-reached
February 10, 2015
88 posts

For me (the second person who inquired about driving conditions in this thread), the drive to/from Snowshoe this weekend was fine. Because one friend did have an SUV with 4-WD, we opted to take that out of precaution, though my little car probably could have handled the roads. No snow or ice.

I did find the last part of the drive, up the mountain to Snowshoe after Cass, a little challenging and tiring. I can't imagine doing that on a regular basis, or in any sort of bad weather conditions. Doesn't matter what car.

eggraid
February 11, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

plateau-reached wrote:

For me (the second person who inquired about driving conditions in this thread), the drive to/from Snowshoe this weekend was fine. Because one friend did have an SUV with 4-WD, we opted to take that out of precaution, though my little car probably could have handled the roads. No snow or ice.

I did find the last part of the drive, up the mountain to Snowshoe after Cass, a little challenging and tiring. I can't imagine doing that on a regular basis, or in any sort of bad weather conditions. Doesn't matter what car.

I joke with my wife that the drive takes days off my life everytime I do it in the snow. It's very stressful

NonstopSki
February 17, 2015
132 posts

Does this look like the correct route mentioned above (the first one)? 

Screenshot of the directions here: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/474f50cc-a0ad-4409-a7c1-49047efc5696/bd47d3f3524b04f70282bf93b50db133/deep/0/snowshoeroute.png

eggraid
February 17, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Yes, that's it, the same route as first posted by Norsk on this thread.

NonstopSki
February 17, 2015
132 posts

eggraid wrote:

Yes, that's it, the same route as first posted by Norsk on this thread.

thanks for confirming! It looked exactly the same, but wanted to be 100% sure. At one point in the trip does it become lots of backroads, hilly, switchbacks, limited lighting? Is this only on 66, or also on 28? 

plateau-reached
February 17, 2015
88 posts

NonstopSki wrote:

thanks for confirming! It looked exactly the same, but wanted to be 100% sure. At one point in the trip does it become lots of backroads, hilly, switchbacks, limited lighting? Is this only on 66, or also on 28? 

I personally* found the most difficult part of the drive to start around the small town of Cass, with some particularly thorny switchbacks on 66 on the way up to Snowshoe.

However, don't assume the rest of the drive is a piece of cake. There's a few earlier parts that are challenging, like some windy turns around Seneca on 55, and also some steep ups-and-downs on 55/48 after you get off 81 after Strasburg.

Overall, it's not a drive where you can relax. You have to pay attention at all times. I wouldn't suggest doing it at night or in inclement weather.

(* I've only been to Snowshoe once, a couple weeks ago, and I followed the route suggested here.)

NonstopSki
February 17, 2015
132 posts

plateau-reached wrote:

NonstopSki wrote:

I personally* found the most difficult part of the drive to start around the small town of Cass, with some particularly thorny switchbacks on 66 on the way up to Snowshoe.

However, don't assume the rest of the drive is a piece of cake. There's a few earlier parts that are challenging, like some windy turns around Seneca on 55, and also some steep ups-and-downs on 55/48 after you get off 81 after Strasburg.

Overall, it's not a drive where you can relax. You have to pay attention at all times. I wouldn't suggest doing it at night or in inclement weather.

(* I've only been to Snowshoe once, a couple weeks ago, and I followed the route suggested here.)

Yea ive done it one time before as well but because i took some locals route, I dont trust that I went this way the whole time, as opposed to the weird route (highway 42?) I took. I did it at night, when it wasn't snowing, but the roads were less than perfect. It's a gnarly drive at night. Im gonna try to leave so that I pull into the mountain lodge when the sun is setting. 

eggraid
February 18, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

NonstopSki wrote:

plateau-reached wrote:

NonstopSki wrote:

Yea ive done it one time before as well but because i took some locals route, I dont trust that I went this way the whole time, as opposed to the weird route (highway 42?) I took. I did it at night, when it wasn't snowing, but the roads were less than perfect. It's a gnarly drive at night. Im gonna try to leave so that I pull into the mountain lodge when the sun is setting. 

NonStop,

After you first get onto 55 around Strausberg, within about 10 miles your first 'mountain pass' will come; the road is pretty windy there, and if it is snowing it can be stressful. Then after Wardensville you hit the new highway, cruising at 65 no problem. Out of Moorfield/Petersberg the road is a 2 lane road, but it goes through a lot of valleys and isn't particularly difficult. Then once you hit 66, and especially after Cass the road winds around a lot. 

Part of the reason the drive is difficult at night is because it is quite desolate and you will probably feel like you must be lost because you may not see another car for 30 minutes at a time. It sounds like you are well prepared and will be driving during the day, which makes for the best drive. Have fun when you get out there!

NonstopSki
February 18, 2015
132 posts

eggraid wrote:

NonstopSki wrote:

plateau-reached wrote:

NonstopSki wrote:

NonStop,

After you first get onto 55 around Strausberg, within about 10 miles your first 'mountain pass' will come; the road is pretty windy there, and if it is snowing it can be stressful. Then after Wardensville you hit the new highway, cruising at 65 no problem. Out of Moorfield/Petersberg the road is a 2 lane road, but it goes through a lot of valleys and isn't particularly difficult. Then once you hit 66, and especially after Cass the road winds around a lot. 

Part of the reason the drive is difficult at night is because it is quite desolate and you will probably feel like you must be lost because you may not see another car for 30 minutes at a time. It sounds like you are well prepared and will be driving during the day, which makes for the best drive. Have fun when you get out there!

Yea last time we went up there, one of the Jeeps that passed me on WV-66 flipped over and went a good 10 yards off the road into a field. He passed us about an hour before we saw his wreck, and luckily there were 2-3 cars stopped and lots of people. Unfortunately at that point there is no cell phone connection so we were going to call someone when we actually got to the mountain, but luckily, we saw an ambulance heading our opposite directions about 10 minutes later, presumably for the folks that flipped. Between that and seeing very few cars, yea, it's a pretty "interesting" night drive! 

eggraid
February 18, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Yikes!

rbrtlav
February 18, 2015 (edited February 18, 2015)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

So does this drive tend to get any better in March or is this a luck of the draw thing? I ended up picking up the ridiculous pass cause I've never been to snowshoe and will use all 4 of the resort swaps for day trips. (hoping to swing 6 days @snowshoe between march and next year) I'm thinking of taking a day or two off work in early march and boarding and skiing there for 3 days, but I really don't have a good snow car. 

I'm planning on making lodging decisions last minute, but I really shouldn't be taking my car in much snow especially mountain roads. 

eggraid
February 19, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

So does this drive tend to get any better in March or is this a luck of the draw thing? I ended up picking up the ridiculous pass cause I've never been to snowshoe and will use all 4 of the resort swaps for day trips. (hoping to swing 6 days @snowshoe between march and next year) I'm thinking of taking a day or two off work in early march and boarding and skiing there for 3 days, but I really don't have a good snow car. 

I'm planning on making lodging decisions last minute, but I really shouldn't be taking my car in much snow especially mountain roads. 

They do a good job of clearing the roads pretty quickly, whether in January or March, so unless you are driving in a snowstorm or the day right after one, you should be in good shape. They do get storms in March though. The days are a little longer in March, so you have more daylight available, which is kind of nice. A regular car will do just fine as long as it hasn't snowed in the past day or two.

NonstopSki
February 20, 2015
132 posts

eggraid wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

They do a good job of clearing the roads pretty quickly, whether in January or March, so unless you are driving in a snowstorm or the day right after one, you should be in good shape. They do get storms in March though. The days are a little longer in March, so you have more daylight available, which is kind of nice. A regular car will do just fine as long as it hasn't snowed in the past day or two.

Just to piggy back, in my sedan that is pretty average in snow, my car was fine. We did encounter some snowy roads, but that wasn't the main issue. It was mostly the darkness, hills, switchbacks, etc. 

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
February 20, 2015
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

I'm leaving on Sunday to drive to SS.  Here is the latest forecast from weather.gov...

" A chance of rain showers before 9am, then a chance of rain and snow showers between 9am and noon, then a chance of snow showers after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 35. West wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible."

At least they have taken freezing rain out of the forecast.  Accuweather says it will just be cloudy on Sunday.  So maybe the precip will be done earlier rather than later. 

Either way..  will have my 4WD packed with a bag of cat litter, salt, shovel, etc...   My wife says there is a reason we normally don't go to Snwshoe...

One more question, is it just Moorefield & Petersburg that you have to watch for speedtraps?  I'm guessing those towns are like going to Ocean City back in the day via Bridgeville.  If you were going 26, you got a ticket.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 20, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Hardy County, especially Wardensville is notorious for speeding tickets!

snapdragon
February 20, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

In 25 years of driving to Canaan from badass Burke, Va I have had 1 speeding ticket and that was in Wardensville.  I got the ticket before the town was forced to modify the speed zones approaching the center of town.  You used to go from 45 mph to 25 mph pretty much right at the cemetery.  Now you go from 45 mph to 35 mph right before the cemetery and then down to 25 mph until you leave town at the beauty salon on the right at which time you can go 40 mph to the car dealership at which point it is upped to 50 mph.  After that you are pretty much on the 4 lane.  That said, the one time was a warm spring morning heading to Canaan for some fresh corn and the windows were open, the music pumping, and I wasn't paying attention. The fat man in the monkey suit stepped out in the road and flagged me down.  Really didn't matter how much over the speed limit...it was still a $90 ticket, no court costs.  Sometimes though, the sheriffs in Frederick Co, Va will set up a speed trap on 55 between the 2 gas stations just out of Strasburg.  

Bumps
February 22, 2015
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

You should try driving some of the hunting/logging roads in winter. knowing how to do a 180degree turn on a one lane icy dirt road is a must 😄. Remember always turn into the mountan so if you go too far you either bounce the back of your car off the hill or get stuck😝. The alternative is  sliding over the hill trying to steer a sliding  vehicle backward down a hill!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?