Is Roundtop any better than Whitetail?
31 posts
11 users
19k+ views
plateau-reached
February 10, 2015
Member since 12/20/2011 🔗
88 posts

I've been to Whitetail and Liberty, and I prefer Whitetail by a landslide. But I've never been to Roundtop. It's the same distance from me as Whitetail.

For those familiar with both: Does Roundtop have any advantages over Whitetail? Or would I be disappointed if I broke from the norm to give it a shot?

(Relevant: I don't get a chance to ski very often, don't have a season pass, so it's not something I'd be experimenting with over multiple days.)

FreshPow
February 10, 2015
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Roundtop is able to serve the evil potions of the devil at the end of the day, which the fine, god-fearing citizenry near Whitetail continue to prohibit. ;-) ..that's actually the first distinction which comes to my mind.

I do otherwise think it's a more manageable hill if you have kids or a group of varying skills to all enjoy, but never be too far away from one another or meet back up in the lodge. Tubing's closer in too. Whitetail is more spread out, if not more often busier.

The terrain at Whitetail seems like it will still call you back; but do give Roundtop a shot. It's enough of a difference.

FWIW, I've never been to Liberty, even though it's closer than Roundtop and I've had a Snowtime pass for 10 seasons. It's almost a badge of honor.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

One advantage for Roundtop that I hear from my friends who have Snowtime passes is that it isn't quite as crowded as Whitetail on weekends.  I met up with a friend on a non-holiday Saturday last season and had a good time.  I think it's worth checking out, especially if you get there early in the morning.

Antoine
February 10, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Oh jeez yes A LOT.  Runs are short but grooming is fantastic! Some great steeps and easy trails. Rt also has a dedicated lift for pros. I like rt almost as much as blue knob.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
snapdragon
February 10, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

and don't foget the clifs and the death shoots!!!

plateau-reached
February 10, 2015
88 posts

Oh, I should mention that I'm an intermediate skiier who would be on my own, no group to worry about. At Whitetail, I mostly stay on the black diamond section to the left, although when I get tired of the slow lift I go back to do quick runs on those blues in the center. Would I have similar options at Roundtop?

I should also mention that I go only on weekdays, so I don't think crowds would be a concern either way. I wouldn't set foot near any of these places on weekends.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 10, 2015
3,246 posts

plateau-reached wrote:

Oh, I should mention that I'm an intermediate skiier who would be on my own, no group to worry about. At Whitetail, I mostly stay on the black diamond section to the left, although when I get tired of the slow lift I go back to do quick runs on those blues in the center. Would I have similar options at Roundtop?

I should also mention that I go only on weekdays, so I don't think crowds would be a concern either way. I wouldn't set foot near any of these places on weekends.

Still think you should give Roundtop a try.  I think you'll like it as a change of pace.

plateau-reached
February 10, 2015
88 posts

marzNC wrote:

Still think you should give Roundtop a try.  I think you'll like it as a change of pace.

Thanks, yeah, I think I'll do that. I probably have two more ski days in me for the season, so if Roundtop isn't my thing I can return to Whitetail one more time.

rbrtlav
February 10, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

plateau-reached wrote:

I went to Liberty sunday afternoon this past weekend from 3-8ish and it was relatively empty on the backside (They actually closed the Strata quad around 6:30 because there was nobody there). I know it was 52+ degrees in DC, but it never hit 40 there and the snow was holding up quite well. Also once that calendar hits March I find that the crowds aren't there on the weekends.  I'm sure this weekend will be another story... but I think I'll be making some more sunday afternoon trips to the slopes after this weekend. Its hard to tell the crowds on the Whitetail webcams but the Liberty cameras show both the base areas and I will say both Super Bowl sunday and last week were quite empty.

camp
February 11, 2015
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

.... Its hard to tell the crowds on the Whitetail webcams ..

By design

Antoine
February 15, 2015 (edited February 15, 2015)
275 posts

I went to rt last night left an hour before the blizzard. Got an inch on top when i left. But thats beside the point, they had the most perfect, dry man made snow ever. Truly amazing lapped upper gunbarrel with large moguls and speeded through lower gun  (no moguls??!!!) hit some of the small drops off of battretts and Lafayette. Great day to be out longest line was on fife for around 4 mins the rest was ski on. I only hit a "glacier" twice ( Baretts, exhibition) but the rest was great dry pp!

plateau-reached
February 18, 2015
88 posts

So I went to Roundtop today. It was worth trying for half a day, and nice to switch things up from Whitetail. Definitely a quainter, friendlier vibe. Don't know if I'll make it a destination in the future, but I'm glad I saw it.

Initially I was disappointed when I realized all the runs were so short, and the lifts so slow. But I got into a nice groove going on Upper Ramroad/Lower Gunbarrel, and there were zero lines.

Still, given the modest resort that it is, it's hard to not feel ripped off at $52 for four hours. Also, while I'm sure Roundtop's great for locals, not sure it's worth the 3 hours total drive time for me. Both of those complaints definitely apply to Whitetail, too, but I do feel like Whitetail's just little more sophisticated and diverse.

Scott - DCSki Editor
February 18, 2015
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts

I agree with your assessment of Roundtop.  It feels more "quaint" than Whitetail, and it usually has less crowds and seems to draw primarily from nearby towns moreso than the metro regions.  I'm lucky to get two ski days in per season, and I find I get a lot more bang for my buck at Whitetail.  But in years where I can squeeze in more ski days, it's nice to throw Roundtop into the mix for some variety.

camp
February 18, 2015
660 posts

Scott wrote:

... I'm lucky to get two ski days in per season,..

Scott, sir, respectfully,

Maybe it's time to ditch this website and get yourself out to enjoy some more skiing.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2015
3,246 posts

plateau-reached wrote:

So I went to Roundtop today. It was worth trying for half a day, and nice to switch things up from Whitetail. Definitely a quainter, friendlier vibe. Don't know if I'll make it a destination in the future, but I'm glad I saw it.

Initially I was disappointed when I realized all the runs were so short, and the lifts so slow. But I got into a nice groove going on Upper Ramroad/Lower Gunbarrel, and there were zero lines.

Still, given the modest resort that it is, it's hard to not feel ripped off at $52 for four hours. Also, while I'm sure Roundtop's great for locals, not sure it's worth the 3 hours total drive time for me. Both of those complaints definitely apply to Whitetail, too, but I do feel like Whitetail's just little more sophisticated and diverse.

For folks who get a Snowtime pass, that's when mixing it up between Whitetail and Roundtop seems to make sense.  Especially if they can only ski on weekends.

Antoine
February 18, 2015
275 posts

I think your missing the point or the trails that make rt special. How many places in this area have winding trails? How many have "drops" and a legit steeps are there? Yes if your far from it then it's not worth it. But I think thats its stills good experience for advanced skiers. And give these guys credit for having amazing conditions even with horible snowmaking. Sorry if the statement sounded aggressive btw...

plateau-reached
February 19, 2015
88 posts

Antoine wrote:

I think your missing the point or the trails that make rt special. How many places in this area have winding trails? How many have "drops" and a legit steeps are there? Yes if your far from it then it's not worth it. But I think thats its stills good experience for advanced skiers. And give these guys credit for having amazing conditions even with horible snowmaking. Sorry if the statement sounded aggressive btw...

You don't sound aggressive, you sound sentimental. Obviously you have an attachment and fondness for Roundtop. I can understand how that would be the case. It has loads more charm than either Whitetail or Liberty, I can see that from just one visit. 

For me, though, the longer runs at Whitetail and the high-speed lift might be a better way to spend my $52 for four hours. I don't have a season pass. If I did, I'm sure I'd be visiting Roundtop regularly and I'd probably become a defender of it as well.

Antoine
February 19, 2015
275 posts

I agree wt very and lift is hard to beat. I did meat a patroller from rt that said they knew that at would have to file for bankruptcy soon into its life because of its southern exposure, he even said it was made by a Japanese firm.

snapdragon
February 19, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

Antoine wrote:

I agree wt very and lift is hard to beat. I did meat a patroller from rt that said they knew that at would have to file for bankruptcy soon into its life because of its southern exposure, he even said it was made by a Japanese firm.

Meat a patroller...dude that just doesn't sound right.   And I didn't know that any firm could "make" a southern exposure.  I'm pretty sure that a "southern exposure" is a natural occurrence but if the Japanese want to claim it then so be it!  But you can't beat the cliffs and the "death shoots" at Roundtop.

Crush
February 19, 2015 (edited February 19, 2015)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

lol snap - well said. :-D  "death shoots" yes i've charged a few of those - oh sorry i thought you meant baboo shoots in a Chinese restaurant. Like Sechuan Kitchen in Park City - yay Year Of The Goat/Sheep/Ram/Baa Baa haa haa.

skiracerx
February 22, 2015
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

zup crush:o)  I ski all three. I get out 2 to 3 times a week for 30 to 40 times. Liberty cause it's closest at 40 miles ow.  Drills and training mainly weekdays/evenings. Roundtop on Weekends more runs per hr re: no lift lines. Plus most of my racing is done there.  Whitetail a few times a year Tuesdays (no lines)  My budget - under 500$ with passes and gas  I don't get bored. Once you ride 10 days + passes will save you 40% Plus.   I have skied UT, NY, PA, VA, WV, MD.  I am glad the choices are nearby.

Roundtop has a quad that goes right over top the race course. great view. Barrettes a tight trail. Gunbarrel wicked step, Susquehanna I love the terrain it moves left to right, with rollers. The new Techo Alpine snow guns put down some nice stuff.

Everything is nearby The main lodge and tubing lodge.  zardog

plateau-reached
February 23, 2015
88 posts

I've considered splurging on a season pass but the truth is I'd only make it to those slopes 5-6 times per season tops, due to scheduling and other constraints. (One of those being, I refuse to visit these places on the weekends, because none of them are good enough to endure long lines or crowds.)

The season pass is just too expensive for what I'm going for. I do wish they had some kind of modified "Frequent Visitor" version for people in my category. I imagine there's quite a few of us.

plateau-reached
February 23, 2015
88 posts

Oh, I actually just read about their "Advantage Card," which may be a good option for me. But I'd have to sit down and do the math on how much savings I'd actually see. It sounds like it still wouldn't be worth it for 5 or 6 visits a season.

Antoine
February 23, 2015
275 posts

You would like the season pass if you lived closer to rt. I say that because there are only lines for the terrain park

skinavy
February 25, 2015
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

Funny you ask- being one of those quantitative types, I worked up that number in the fall...prices based on Liberty, but the delta is only a couple of dollars either way:

Based against buying 8hour weekend/peak tix, the advantage card is cheaper on day 5.  Likewise, the (fullprice) season pass is cheaper on day 13, for this year.  That may shift a little if you do some 4hour, night, or extended tickets. 

Liberty seems to have been excluded from this thread- shorter trails (and lines!) than WT, pretty well-varied terrain.  The upper blacks are no BS, but only 150meters long.  It tends to be the closest/easiest to get to if you are South or West of Baltimore or East of DC.

plateau-reached
February 25, 2015
88 posts

I think Liberty is the worst of the three, but I also haven't been there for years. I remember swearing it off entirely the last time I went. 

We all know Whitetail's no gem, but the trails are a little longer, and the high-speed quad is good for doing quick laps up and down those blues in the middle. 

The more I think about Roundtop, though, the more I'm appreciating its charm. I imagine I'll be back sometime.

Re: The advantage card, yeah, I did the math, and it's not worth it for someone like me. This winter, for example, I've done four weekdays with four-hour flex passes. 

rbrtlav
February 25, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

In regards to the advantage card...I think it is $85 before October... Even if the lift ticket is $40 (which I think they are more) you save $16 a trip...so if you go 5 times that is $80 and your next visit is free (buy 5 lift tickets get one free I believe ), so if you can get an extra trip or 2 on it is worth it. 

camp
February 25, 2015
660 posts

skinavy wrote:

...(fullprice) season pass is cheaper on day 13, for this year.

Good thing I'm bad at math.

I calc'd the payoff at Day 7 for season pass (buying early) and using an average of 4-hour weekend and 4-hour weekday price.  I rarely ski for 8 hours and if I did, the payoff would come even quicker by my (flawed?) math.

camp
February 25, 2015
660 posts

camp wrote:

Good thing I'm bad at math.

Maybe not so bad:

$60 avg 4-hour ticket x 7 times = $420

I think the early price was about that exactly

rbrtlav
February 25, 2015 (edited February 25, 2015)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I think i did the math last year based on the $85 advantage card and $459 season pass.

I believe based on the cheapest lift prices it worked out to something like this. 

1-3 visits : Pay per day at the window

4-13  visits Advantage card is cheapest depending on what you do.... ($31.8 for a 4 hour lift mid week * 10 PAID visits +85 for thecard   = $403) you get 2 free with 10 paid So if you ski weekends or 8 hours you can adjust accordingly.

~14+ get the season pass 

I ended up getting the pass and it has probably paid for itself twice over, Season pass last year came with some other perks including a free beginner package for a friend, free month of March,  and mountains of distinction. And to top it off they announced they will be making snow Thursday-Sat nights this weekend... so hopefully it will be another season that goes until the end of March. 

rbrtlav
February 26, 2015 (edited February 26, 2015)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

ShowTime passed on sale for $459 through April.... rest of the season is free again this year. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.