7springs season pass on sale tomorrow possibly
25 posts
11 users
3k+ views
Sincraft
February 25, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
Estimate is it will go on sale tomorrow for 509 early rate. I have no info on highlands or HV passes.
Sincraft
February 26, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

All 2015-2016 7Springs pricing info is on their season pass page.

$509 for just 7S or $559 for 7S and HV before May 15th and save 5% if you pay in cash or check.

http://www.7springs.com/ski-and-ride/season-passes/

Also posted are the day ticket rates for next year.  Fri-Sun all day tickets now $81 and $86 for Holiday...yikes!

Adamh21 - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2015
Member since 12/4/2008 🔗
26 posts

Crazy! Wish I lived closer to Snoeshow. May decide to call Timberline my main mountain for 2015/2016.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Weren't the season pass early price in the $300 to $400 range a few short years ago? Didn't they also give all purchasers of a season pass a gift card not just past pass holders? What great on mountain improvemnts have been made lately? How much does it cost to build the super pipe that a very small minority actually use? Where is Teddy Roosevelt when you need him?

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
February 26, 2015
Member since 12/4/2008 🔗
26 posts

I had thought the early bird price on the season pass had been around $400.

Antoine
February 26, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

They don't build the super pipe for us! They build it for when they host us open in snowboarding qualifiers. Only way for me to be back is for them to build a park in the woods like smuggs dose. Maybe throw in some drops in...

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

CV 199

TL 299

Two resorts for 498

Antoine
February 26, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

CV 199

TL 299

Two resorts for 498 

will anyone stop nutting! He is really making me sad, learned  how to turn on those slopes. Hopefully he will change his ways

February 26, 2015
Member since 12/4/2008 🔗
26 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

CV 199

TL 299

Two resorts for 499

Much better deal. I have grown up and went to college at 7Springs but this is just crazy. I have only been to CV and TL a handful of times so it is looking like I will have to get to know them a little better. And It is a little shorter travel time from NoVA so they are looking much more appealing.

February 26, 2015
1,580 posts

I'm off tomorrow and I'm debating between HV and 7S.  I can swap my SS pass for a freebie at either place.  Does the Corp Cup Race draw big crowds?  It's scheduled for 10 AM at 7S tomorrow

ParkCrewDrew
February 26, 2015 (edited February 26, 2015)
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

Well if you get the Mid-week pass...It's $313 with the 5% off.   You get the rest of 2015 after March 5th...Also you will get the first 2 weekends of the 2015/2016 season...it's not soooo bad. 

And Monday's in March you get a free ticket for a friend. 

Oh the resort swap works for Mid-week passes too. 

February 26, 2015 (edited February 26, 2015)
2,038 posts

Nice apology but only at the Springs is Friday not a weekday so you pay $313 for a pass good for 4 days Mon - Thurs. Nice if you don't work like most people do. Maybe I'll buy a pass at Laurel if Mr. Nutting actually honors his lease agreement. If Laurel opens and they're asking near $500 for a "sale price" season pass then forget that too considering the state meaning PA tax payers will build the lift and most of the snow making infrastructure. The swap pass is of no interest except maybe for Blue Knob and I can get a very inexpensive ticket online so after the first freebie than there is no real deal. I'm not interested in skiing Wisp. If I travel that far I'll continue down the road to Timberline. Snowshoe too far to travel for a day trip though I use to do it in my youth. My entire family has out grown Hidden Valley. Even my teenage son is finding 7S boring except for the Alley and a rare hit in the Spot so very soon I'll revert back to skiing local on a few days and saving my money for several weeks in NE or out west. Skiing in the Laurel Highlands will soon be above my pay grade.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 26, 2015
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

For HV, Basically the price increased $30 from last year. You take the 5% off, and that gets you down to $408. With the $50 gift card(only good at HV and 7S), that results in a net cost of $358. 

I frankly don't know how TL and CV can sell passes that cheap. If I owned a ski house in the Canaan area it would be a no brainier. But I do not. I own a house at HV. But I will say that no improvements to the 1980's style CV snow making system can be expected anytime soon. 

I know I will be ridiculed, but TL and CV do not have 2 express 6 pack lifts and 350 acres of terrain, 7S does. That is what you are paying for. Like it or not.

rbrtlav
February 26, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I am at 7s now on the cyber Monday deal...conditions are great now btw. That aside I heard 2 different groups of season pass holders on the lift complaining about the price...told one group about the ridiculous pass and sounded like they were going to look at that instead of renewing the 7s pass. I learned to ski here and really do enjoy the place, but the management at snowtime and other places seems much more consumer friendly....

Leo
February 27, 2015
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts

I agree.  We had a race to the pricing bottom once in this area, and it isn't sustainable, quality of the product suffers greatly.  Is it a great thing that Nuting owns both local resorts?  No.  But honestly, when you think about the operating costs, taxes, overhead, etc. of owning and operating a resort, it amazes me that season passes don't cost more.  

snowsmith wrote:

For HV, Basically the price increased $30 from last year. You take the 5% off, and that gets you down to $408. With the $50 gift card(only good at HV and 7S), that results in a net cost of $358. 

I frankly don't know how TL and CV can sell passes that cheap. If I owned a ski house in the Canaan area it would be a no brainier. But I do not. I own a house at HV. But I will say that no improvements to the 1980's style CV snow making system can be expected anytime soon. 

I know I will be ridiculed, but TL and CV do not have 2 express 6 pack lifts and 350 acres of terrain, 7S does. That is what you are paying for. Like it or not.

teleman
February 27, 2015
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

But TL has superior tree skiing, less people plus the valley has more backcountry skiing than anywhere south of NY.  7S could offer a $50 pass and I would not be interested. 

snowsmith wrote:

Sincraft
February 27, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

Well I live an hour away so I really dont have much of an option other than to drive for a long time elsewhere.  I would also most likely need to go every other weekend or even less if that were the case which rather eliminates my need for a season pass.

The Super 7 deal isn't too bad.  It's kinda like a season pass but you get a credit card with your name on it, and need to get a lift ticket each time.  You get lift tickets for about $55 but you are required to buy 7, thus the name.  After you burn through your 7 passes you can reload them with one ticket each day or however many you want for $55/ ticket, which is a good savings over the normal day rate.   If you plan to go at least 7 times, that's THE most affordable thing to do if you live in the area.  Doing the math this year I believe if I go between 7-10 times, It's the best deal over the season pass or day rates.  Below 5 or above 10 and you are losing money.

As for Hidden Valley, I really dont have an interest in them anymore.  It's just too short (more like a hill) and the last time I was there I was far too disappointed.  Not that 7Springs is THAT much better but...   At HV the beginner trail on the north summit wasn't lighted at night which was concerning, the lift broke down - twice, and for whatever reason it was much more crowded than I've ever seen it that day I went this year.  The grooming wasnt done very well which left ice in the narrow slow areas, and due to their new process of putting 'features' in a newbie area, there was a very narrow area for teaching new skiers.   Which, is one of the primary reason why I still go there.  I fear that 7Springs is trying to dump some people over there to thin their crowds but at the same time are not focusing on any of the requirements to make HV of value. I also noticed that the prices of their condos have gone up considerably.  Maybe that makes the other home owners happy but, lets face it - you could rent a few weekends a year at some really nice resorts throughout the world for FAR cheaper than it would cost to own.  At the VERY least HV had some nice small condos at a very competitive price point for awhile...they lost that when 7Springs reality took over..

As for the 7Springs halfpipe.  It is open to the public and moreso this year. I'm not sure this is a good thing though.  I see people that are intermediate at best dropping in from the tops and face planting on what could most appropriately be called a wall of ice.  Not good.  This thing is a HUGE lawsuit waiting to happen.  I really think they need to rope this area off and leave it for experts only, who have to prove themselves elsewhere such as a smaller pipe near the north face.  Or, need to sign off on a waiver.   I see people trying this thing out without a helmet.   A guy in my office in his 30's decided to hit one of the big jumps and had his assbone shoved up to his chin, now he can barely walk.   He was an occasional skier that didnt know the risks.  He assumed it was 'safe' because it was open to the public.  While this is probably going to be a rare thing, it's still a risk to the resort.  Cool to look at, and cool that they have this avaialble for aspiring athletes, but they should be open only for that - viewing and athletes.

For all their faults, 7Springs also tries to stay open until the last bit of snow is gone.  I give them kudos for this.  They at best, break even during these times.  You can find places to stay up there late season pretty cheap and can ride some great conditions late season too.  It may be almost March at 7Springs but some of the best skiing there is close at hand.  Pickup a season pass for next year and pull 4 or 5 days there in March/April....good times, but be careful out there and wear a helmet.

eggraid
February 27, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

teleman wrote:

But TL has superior tree skiing, less people plus the valley has more backcountry skiing than anywhere south of NY.  7S could offer a $50 pass and I would not be interested. 

snowsmith wrote:

+1.  You are also paying for about 4x the skier density on the slopes. No place is perfect, but give me anywhere in WV over 7S

February 27, 2015
1,580 posts

eggraid wrote:

No place is perfect

Agree 100%.  We should all be glad we have A LOT choices in the areas we live.  

I did manage to go to 7S today.  IMO - fantastic.  Great snow, no crowds and first chair with a few local homeowners.  Got in 29 runs in about 3.5 hrs of actual skiing.

Honestly, if it were not for my free swap ticket, I would NOT have drove up and paid 70 - 80 beans to ski from 9 - 2 PM. I do understand the financial frustration some folks have.   This sport we love, comes with a hefty price tag at times. 

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2015 (edited February 27, 2015)
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

eggraid wrote:

teleman wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

+1.  You are also paying for about 4x the skier density on the slopes. No place is perfect, but give me anywhere in WV over 7S

I agree that Timberline has the best terrain in the mid-Atlantic. I love the terrain there. And it is less crowded than 7S. However, the lift takes 10 minutes to go 1,000 vertical feet. And while Timbers Pub is one of my favorite ski bars, the lodge is dirty and rundown. Yes they can charge less if they don't spend money on improvements. My skiing choices are somewhat based on logistics. It takes me at least 4 hours to drive from Baltimore ( not counting any Washington DC traffic misery and backups) to the Canaan area. It takes me 3 hours to drive from Baltimore to the Laurel Mtns, consistenly. On a miserable rainy day in the Canaan area there is not much for my wife to do. Thus that factored in our decision as to where to buy a ski house. On a rainey day in the Laurels, we can go to a movie in Greensburg and I can be in downtown Pittsburgh in 1 hour. The Canaan area is a beautiful pristine wilderness that I very much appreciate, but after my last drive to there, the traffic backups in Winchester, the coal truck covering my car with black ooze, and it seems everytime I go there it rains at least one day, I thought that I made a good choice where to locate my ski house. I still love skiing there and will return when I can find the time to drive 4 or 5 hours.

My point being that I am stuck paying more for a season pass but there's more that goes into the decision than just the cost of the pass.

eggraid
February 27, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

That decision makes a lot of sense. For most ski families, there are more factors that go into a decision like that other than "who has the best skiing."

We bought a place at Snowshoe instead of Canaan because ski resorts in the mid atlantic seem so tenuous, Snowshoe seemed like the most stable in the area somehow. It used to be more expensive, now it is one of the least expensive for people who ski a lot. It has very good terrain, but not the best. It does have great snow. And there are plenty of places for the family to duck in during the day or at the end of the day. Is the Village a little cheesy for some people's taste? sure, but I don't argue with having multiple restaraunts to choose from, and the views up there are awesome. The drive is longer, which sucks, but that's somewhere else we compromised. Lets hope for some more snow in March! Finish out this season strong!

February 27, 2015 (edited February 27, 2015)
2,038 posts

My complaint about the escalating cost of a season pass and daily walk up cost is that there doesn't seem to me to be any real on mountain improvements to justify the increased cost. I suspect that we are subsidizing the build out of Super Pipe. All the money going into compressed air and pumping water, all the man hours pushing and building the pipe by the grooming crew, there has got to be tens of thousands of dollars going into it before one person can use it. I just can't see how the people who use it on a regular basis generate the income to pay for it. That means the rest of use foot the bill. It's a nice status symbol. It may some day produce world cup athletes and if that's the case we end up supporting people who will go on to bag big sponsors themselves. At least this year they got Giant Steps open early instead abandoning snow making there in favor of the pipe. This is only my opinion and I could be totally wrong. Maybe the increase cost will show up at bringing the Seven Springs' owned assets at Laurel up to useable condition and getting the place up and running. That would be great if it happens.

A high speed lift on the North Face would be great and refocus skier use on the longest, most sustained pitch on the mountain. It would take pressure of the Gunnar/Giant Steps trail network that is now crushed because most would rather stand in line on a busy day than ski right up to the Tahoe quad. The front side six is a necessity just to move people out of the base. The Gunnar six is a necessity because the old triple was just intolerable on a busy day but a whole swath of some of the resort's best terrain goes under utilized. Really I just should shut my trap and advocate that nothing change so I can ski sparsely skied terrain while the masses stand in line waiting to ride a high speed lift.

rbrtlav
February 27, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Agree 100%.  We should all be glad we have A LOT choices in the areas we live.  

I did manage to go to 7S today.  IMO - fantastic.  Great snow, no crowds and first chair with a few local homeowners.  Got in 29 runs in about 3.5 hrs of actual skiing.

Honestly, if it were not for my free swap ticket, I would NOT have drove up and paid 70 - 80 beans to ski from 9 - 2 PM. I do understand the financial frustration some folks have.   This sport we love, comes with a hefty price tag at times. 

Were you one of the guys waiting out there at 8:50? 

I was finishing up breakfast in slopeside when they started the lifts and got out around 9:30 and called it quits around 6.... after a few runs on wagner I spent most of the day on the Gunnar lift trails, and I honestly think today and yesterday afternoon were some of the least icey and consistent conditions I have ever seen there.  (midweek crowds there vs weekend is an amazing difference) 

Also Blue_Don_1962, did you hear what the deal was with North Face slope, I heard it was for a race, which didnt make that much sense and I also heard they had a pipe burst this week turning it into an ice rink (seems to make more sense). I have never seen so much concentrated snowmaking in one spot, if it really was the burst pipe I give them credit for putting in the effort to save the slope for 3 weeks. 

2 of the last 3 times I have gone there I have caught a $210 ish dollar deal for a room, two 1.5 day lift tickets and 2 breakfast vouchers, IMO catching thoses deals if you can do midweek is the way to go.... fair price and no crowds.

February 28, 2015
1,580 posts

RB - That was me in the bright yellow (Big Bird) jacket waiting like a little kid at the bus stop.  I agree, the conditions were amazing.  Glad I went up.

Holy smokes - they blew that north face slope all day long.  I heard the same about a race. 

rbrtlav
February 28, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

RB - That was me in the bright yellow (Big Bird) jacket waiting like a little kid at the bus stop.  I agree, the conditions were amazing.  Glad I went up.

I definetly saw you from breakfast in that case... I had orange pants but they certainly didn't top your ski gear. 

Ive determind that 7S is a place I would love to hate but really can't....like said above they have more to offer than any other place I can day trip (and my opinion of TL is not in line with that of others here, but that's another story) ...short of yesterday, I don't know if I have ever been there when it isn't snowing. They have two highspeed six man lifts, large amount of land, easy drive, and a nice hotel...I always go there with the expectation I will hit large sheets of ice in certain places and always find ways to work around it and have always had a good time. The window day lift ticket price is high...but supply and demand is in full effect, they raise prices and still fill the slopes. 

On a sidenote the rails to rails deal is good on weekends from here on out...if anyone is looking to ski 7 springs after this weekend it is worth looking at. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?