What's happening up in the Canaan Valley with this storm?
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
mook21
March 5, 2015
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

With the snow today, will take a snow day tomorrow and hit somewhere.... Timberline? Snowshoe? Who is getting the most?

David
March 5, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
mook21
March 5, 2015
50 posts

very nice! Thanks!

crgildart
March 5, 2015
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Getting NUKED! Go get it folks!

wgo
March 6, 2015 (edited March 6, 2015)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Would love to get some of that, but it was not in the cards today. This is offset a bit by the fact I got out to Massanutten for a couple hours last night. They reported 6-8 inches and I would say this is pretty accurate. Powder turns along the sides of Showtime for most of that time (with a few dings on my skis). Heavy snow but very manageable. The centers of the trails were interesting - the earlier rain/sleet combined with the falling temps made for a hard surface underneath the soft snow.

Back on topic: thanks to everyone who has posted this year on conditions in Canaan Valley. Let's hear some trip reports from this latest storm.

chaga
March 9, 2015 (edited March 9, 2015)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

I skied every single day this year (no exageration) but this past friday was probably the best ski day of the year.... 8-10" of fluffy powder on bomber solid base and bluebird awesomeness.  

the rain on wednesday that took out some of the lower valley floor snow, made for a great show at blackwater falls the next day when the snow returned. a rare photo you don't see everyday.....the river rarely gets this high anytime, especially not in winter!

mook21
March 9, 2015
50 posts

agree! Friday was a very special day up there!!!

wgo
March 9, 2015
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Awesome!

fishnski
March 10, 2015 (edited March 10, 2015)
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Ive been up in Canaan for almost a month now...below ave snow for year now overall but I sure picked the time to come up!...Deep deep and fun!....love that pic of the falls Chaga...saw them just before when they were froze over...took my XC skiis and did the lindy point tour then tried the Elkala falls trail...fo get about it...renamed it the carry our skiis trail...what a gem of a trail though...the whole Blackwater falls state park is a friggin postcard...improved sled run is rocking!.... Btw...u almost ran me over twice Chaga...once when u fishtailed into the fire dept where I was stealing internet..on ur way to canaan valley stores...and another time when u were barreling down freeland rd on the way down to whitegrass...funny...monday skiing at Canaan area was primo...my last blast...heading. Back to the salt-n- sands....great friggin time...Long live the Wv Alpps and the land of Canaan...more there than u know!!!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?