Snowshoe Roll Call 3/27 - 3/29
48 posts
11 users
3k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 26, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Put me and my son down for 3 more days at Snowshoe.  We're heading down bright and early on Friday AM to make it for rope drop.

I have friends down there today and I'll try to get a frist hand condition report.  Hopefully the rain today will move thru fast and the snow will over perform on Friday.  

NonstopSki
March 26, 2015
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts
Any chance for snow this weekend? And any tips on avoiding crowds? Heading up for the weekend and haven't been since last season (which was our first time). I remember skiing silver creek alone in the morning, but it would seem better to go to silver creek later when more folks show up. Seems ballhooter lift is one to avoid. It would be great to have a rough itinerary for "avoiding crowds" at Snowshoe
March 26, 2015
1,580 posts

Silver Creek is closed for the season.  Crowds "s/b" lighter this time of year.  Ski Western Territory and / or Soaring Eagle if Ballhooter is crowded. We never waited more than a few minutes for Ballhooter last weekend.

I saw this on Facebook: 

wgo
March 26, 2015
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Trying to get out on Monday, assuming they will be open midweek
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
hoyadrew
March 26, 2015
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

I should be there as well.  Sorting out lodging currently.  There were very few lines last weekend, but using the singles line definitely sped things up.

jimw
March 26, 2015
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

Oh how I wish I could go again this weekend since my condo is not rented.

I was hoping to go back over Easter but then realized our place is booked.

Let me know, if anyone is looking for a last minute deal on our condo.

Have fun!

March 26, 2015
1,580 posts

My buddy said it got really mushy today due to the warm weather yesterday and today.  He said it DID NOT rain that much - so far.

Friday looks to be a little tricky.  My guess is they will groom early Friday AM once everything freezes up.  Sat + Sun s/b a lot better.

I'm all in so I'll take what I get on Friday.       

rbrtlav
March 26, 2015 (edited March 26, 2015)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

If you get a chance to check out western territory a report on the coverage over there would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to be on the snow before 11 Saturday and at rope drop Sunday.

Looking at the webcams it appears that it might already have switched over to snow.

skidding
March 26, 2015
Member since 01/24/2010 🔗
44 posts

Heading down too.  Won't make the rope drop, but hopefully will be on the slopes by noon.

March 27, 2015
1,580 posts

Looks like an inch or so of fresh snow fell here.  Light snow at 8 AM.   I expect it is on top of a frozen base.

I'll report back later.

NonstopSki
March 27, 2015
132 posts

Anyone have any experience picking up their 2015/16 season/ridiculous pass this month? I was planning on going to the Depot Saturday morning to check out what I need to do to get it all settled so I can ski for free this weekend.  

hoyadrew
March 27, 2015
147 posts

I picked mine up last weekend.  You just provide your name and address, and they take your photo for the pass and print it there.  Took about 3 minutes.

My lodging fell through...if anyone (Jim?) is able to work something out for just tomorrow night, that would be preferable.

hoyadrew
March 27, 2015
147 posts

View from the webcam is looking great...weather report says they got 2".

wgo
March 27, 2015
1,666 posts

Thanks for the updates, everyone...if anyone who is there this weekend is able to confirm they will be open midweek next week, that would be much appreciated. I know that Snowshoe has stated that will be the case, but I imagine that plans can change...

NonstopSki
March 27, 2015
132 posts

@hoyadrew, I think @jimw has these 2 condos. Maybe contact him through VRBO for quicker response? 

www.vrbo.com/479808

www.vrbo.com/250515

hoyadrew
March 27, 2015
147 posts

Thanks, I'm leaning towards trying Elk River Inn this weekend, but good to know.

NonstopSki
March 27, 2015
132 posts

Im making the drive a little later than I'd like to today. If anyone sees a white VW Jetta GLI with DC plates stuck in a ditch, please help! :D. I'm thinking they'll be less snow on the road than the last time I made this drive!   

hoyadrew
March 27, 2015
147 posts

We're not gonna get out until closer to 4, but we'll look out for you if you get marooned. I think the roads should be clear.  I looked at the webcam on 250, and there was snow on the ground but road was clear.

hoyadrew
March 27, 2015 (edited March 27, 2015)
147 posts

Also, does anyone need lift tickets?  I have two days of tickets available, at a discount.

March 27, 2015
1,580 posts

Conditions were pretty good today.  Basin area was nice.  West Terr is a little rough.  I think Cupp may have a chance to make it if no more rain.  Shays - I'm not sure  - lots of thin bare spots.

Drivers - I came in at 8 AM today in my wife's convertible VW Beetle (long story) and the roads are clear.  No real snow on the ground until you get to 3500 ft.

If tomorrow is anything like today - you'll have a great time.  We got 30 runs in from 9 AM to 2:30

skidding
March 27, 2015
44 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Conditions were pretty good today.  Basin area was nice.  West Terr is a little rough.  I think Cupp may have a chance to make it if no more rain.  Shays - I'm not sure  - lots of thin bare spots.

Drivers - I came in at 8 AM today in my wife's convertible VW Beetle (long story) and the roads are clear.  No real snow on the ground until you get to 3500 ft.

If tomorrow is anything like today - you'll have a great time.  We got 30 runs in from 9 AM to 2:30

Yes, it was good today.  Skied from 12:30 to close.  Hope we get some fresh snow tonight, but probably will not see much.  Shays is in worse shape than Cupp.  Lower Shays has lot of weed sprouts poking through and plenty of brown spots.  Bumps on skiers left has a little better coverage, but it won't survive a warm day or two without some new snow.

wgo
March 27, 2015
1,666 posts
What else is bumped up?
rbrtlav
March 27, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Sounds like I'll stick to Cupp on the western territory... I kinda prefer it anyway. The webcams at the basin look pretty good. Leaving the DC area early tomorrow, bit concerned about the last 30 miles of the drive... but hopefully most of the snow is overnight and things are clear in the am. 

skidding
March 27, 2015
44 posts

wgo wrote:

What else is bumped up?

Western Territory in general was a bit bumpy, due to conditions.  Knot bumper -  top drop in is closed, but side trail access is open.  Some bumps on skiers right on widowmaker.  They didn't groom sawmill.  Not sure what tomorrow will bring. Without fresh on any bumps, they will be hard tomorrow, given the forecast.  Hopefully we will get some fresh snow on top of everything.

hoyadrew
March 27, 2015
147 posts

Made it to the Elk River Inn.  Snowing pretty heavy and sticking above a certain elevation as you cross the national forest once south of 33 and again on 66 near Snowshoe.  Got pulled over a mile or two south of Petersburg and issued a warning.  (Was my friend driving not me!)

NonstopSki
March 27, 2015
132 posts

Drive was much better than when I did it two years ago (it was snowing harder then and there was atually snow on the ground - and it was darker for a longer period of time for my trip). I think I took roughly the same route there last time, although I remember cutting off Moorefield and Petersburg, sorta a back road to not drive through them both, or something. But that was low elevation so it wasn't a problem. 

About 40 minutes out the roads do get a little sketchier, but it was still no big deal. Last time, it's possible I took 250 part of the way? Is that much rougher? I don't think I remember the "92" part of the trip 2 years ago. But that school you pass on the right might have rung a bell. So, tough to know if this route was any better than my last or if it was basically the same route with better conditions. 

skidding
March 28, 2015
44 posts

Saturday morning - there appears to be a solid 2 plus inches of light, fresh snow, which is probably more like 4 inches on some trails.  It should be good today.

March 28, 2015
1,580 posts

Dress warm - it's cold out there and PLENTY of snow.

Side note:  

We walked to Wildcat to grab some supplies last night.  We saw an SS employee in the garage near it and he noted that SS was only 14% occupied this weekend.  I came back to my room and they were blowing snow on the top of Gandy Dancer and Powder Monkey lift.

I know there are a lot of SS haters but damn it that is dedication to your customer base.  Opened on Wed before Thanksgiving and Closing Easter Sunday.  131 days of operations.

SS plans to run a 9 - 4:30 schedule all next week.

wgo
March 28, 2015
1,666 posts

Thanks Blue Don. Still thinking there is a good chance I will be out there Monday. Could be some snow, could be some rain, could be windy but to paraphrase something I saw on the Whitegrass website the more time we spend thinking about the weather the less time we spend skiing.

hoyadrew
March 28, 2015
147 posts

Beer break at the Boathouse...cold but snow is excellent and no one is here.  Presently lightly snowing  with patches of blue sky.

rbrtlav
March 28, 2015
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Got here at 11... Roads a bit dicey for RWD, but made it with no issues. Trails we have done off ballyhooed and western territory have been in great shape

March 28, 2015
1,580 posts

Nothing short of fantastic today.  Cold and windy but awesome. Light flurries all day with peaks of sun.  We were at rope drop 9 AM near Ballhooter.  We hit Spruce and there was ONE set of tracks.  4" of white powder sat on top of the groomed trails.  You would think it was mid Feb down here.  Ballhooter was very managable lift line all day.  Skied right on to Western and Soaring Eagle lifts all day

Someone asked about bumps - they groomed off the bumps on Lower Shays last night.  I assume it was done to spread the snow to keep it open.  Knot Bumper opened up off Ballhooter entry area not the top.  It is all bumps.  The are also bumps on Widow Maker near / under the lift,  That's it for bumps.  

Tomorrow should be a groomer cruiser paradise down here.

skidding
March 28, 2015
44 posts

Yep, great day.   There for rope drop at top of the world, spent the first tracks time on widow makerr and camp 99.  Western Territory was good, but wind was blowing up and when I was there, most the fresh snow had been blown off, so I spent most of the day playing on the basin side.

March 28, 2015
1,580 posts

Wind is howling tonight at 10 PM.  Cold as January here.  Just walked back from the Junction and they are blowing snow near Ballhooter.  Winter is not over here.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 28, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Snowshoe is truly committed to customers, however few or many; snow guns blazing at 10:30pm!!!

The Colonel

Brook
March 28, 2015 (edited March 29, 2015)
Member since 09/28/2010 🔗
58 posts

Haven't posted much this season but  I was there today and it was pretty amazing at the rope drop   Is this you in the  video  skidding?  If so I I was the snowboarder in the plaid jacket that went down right beside you on widowmaker at rope drop then this run .  Sorry its shaky I broke my go pro and was just holding a point and shoot in my hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVAsaJIa6XE&feature=youtu.be

skidding
March 29, 2015 (edited March 29, 2015)
44 posts

Brook wrote:

Haven't posted much this season but  I was there today and it was pretty amazing at the rope drop   Is this you in the  video  skidding?  If so I I was the snowboarder in the plaid jacket that went down right beside you on widowmaker at rope drop then this run .  Sorry its shaky I broke my go pro and was just holding a point and shoot in my hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVAsaJIa6XE&feature=youtu.be

Yes, that was me.  Thanks for posting!  It was a fun morning and great day.  I, coincidentally, was on the lift with your other buddy with the Dynastar Cham skis.  We were talking and he yelled down at you from the lift and took a picture of your tracks (said he could tell they were yours!).  Very cool.  I know you were enjoying yourself and appreciated your enthusiasm.

R,

Shawn

March 29, 2015
1,580 posts

Nothing but bluebirds singing away this morning.  Not a bad way to finish out my season.

chaga
March 29, 2015
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

I wouldn't say there are many SS haters. (or $$) But comparing a corporate big money backed resort to smaller ones is like apples and oranges. They are certainly NOT making money this weekend/week staying open. But they have enough big corporate money to suck it up and not hurt em. Canaan Valley area isn't so lucky. Skier participation drops off so dramtically in March that it is a losing proposition for them staying open...

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I know there are a lot of SS haters but damn it that is dedication to your customer base.  Opened on Wed before Thanksgiving and Closing Easter Sunday.  131 days of operations.

Bumps
March 29, 2015
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

Ok. You guys got me revved up. I am going to have to see if I can sneak away this week for an appointment with Dr. Snowski!

skidding
44 posts

Spectacular day.  Here are some pics of how the day began. 

BTW, anyone know a guy wearing a fur coat hoodie on 3/29/15?  I rode the soaring eagle lift with him a couple times, and, on reflection, he said some things that led me to think he might be a dcski member.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/SuAiyE1rbrwlK_lDQsZG9tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/O2x0meBUcRQQXQ3Y4jcn4tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

I have no clue how to actually post pictures in the forum, so the links are above.

wgo
March 29, 2015
1,666 posts

Thanks for posting. Still planning on be out there tomorrow, still hoping the precip comes down as snow, still glad to be getting a chance for one more day regardless.

hoyadrew
March 29, 2015
147 posts

Super nice weekend.  So glad we made it out.  Unfortunately my buddy took a spill near the base of the Powdermonkey lift and messed up his wrist.  In the waiting room at Kaiser is Tysons Corner now waiting for an X-ray.  I said this would be my last ski weekend of the season but there is one more weekend left...

rbrtlav
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

This weekend probably had 2 of the top 5 best days I had all season, the conditions for late March were nothing short of amazing. Other than a bit of a stressful drive up the mountain I had a great time this weeekend and couldnt think of a better last weekend to my season.

Hoyadrew, best of luck to your friend, that is not a good way to end a season.

hoyadrew
March 29, 2015
147 posts

Thanks.  Left wrist is badly broken and may require surgery.  :(  we were hours from finishing his first season without injuries...!

skidding
March 30, 2015
44 posts

3/30/15, morning -- it looks pretty soupy out there.  There was a little snow over night, but this morning it looks like a mist/ice/fog at the moment.   It probably will be good this afternoon if the clouds clear off, but I'll be on my way home by then.

wgo
March 30, 2015 (edited March 30, 2015)
1,666 posts
Got out to snowshoe today. Some rain on the way up but stopped by the time of my first run at 9:30. Foggy to start, but the fog started moving out by mid morning. Afternoon was pretty bluebird. Snow in the morning was really good on the basin side. Snow got heavier in the afternoon with the exposure to the sun but I still thought it was pretty good. Coverage was very good. The western territory runs are in OK shape, although the bottom of lower shays is showing some mud. Despite this, I thought lower shays skied pretty well. All in all , a very good day.
skidding
March 30, 2015
44 posts

wgo wrote:

Got out to snowshoe today. Some rain on the way up but stopped by the time of my first run at 9:30. Foggy to start, but the fog started moving out by mid morning. Afternoon was pretty bluebird. Snow in the morning was really good on the basin side. Snow got heavier in the afternoon with the exposure to the sun but I still thought it was pretty good. Coverage was very good. The western territory runs are in OK shape, although the bottom of lower shays is showing some mud. Despite this, I thought lower shays skied pretty well. All in all , a very good day.

Agreed.  This morning there was an inch of dense snow on top of the groom, and the fog, or course.  It was nice, though, and the fog just meant more turns needed.  For me, it was a very good 4 days of skiing, different every day, but every day offered something good.  I left for home about 2:00 PM and, as you said, the snow was getting a little heavy then and sticky in a few spots.  It was a good weekend to end my ski season on.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?