Which Slopes?
4 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Breck04
June 30, 2015
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
11 posts

My family skis annually at Snowshoe, but I don't know which slopes would be good for my 11 year old daughter.  She can carve some and can easily do easy blues and is okay on hard blues (compared to other blues).  I'd like to start getting her on some easy blacks.  What would be a good slope to start her on?

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
July 1, 2015
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

It depends on the child.  When my daughter was about that age we had the same issue.  One day at Roundtop we decided to go down a black beside a blue.  That way she would know that if things got too scary we could traverse to the blue.  At the first rollover, steeper than she had ever done before, she stopped and began crying.  I said, OK, we can go over there.  Through griited teeth she said NO, i am going to do this.  She did.  Since then I have never again seen her back away from anything.

have fun!

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
July 1, 2015 (edited July 1, 2015)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Breck04 wrote:

What would be a good slope to start her on?

Grabhammer is only steep / black on that upper section.  After that it's all blue spilling into either side of ballhooter.  Maybe after knocking that off a few times the confidence will grow.  Then head over to the Soaring Eagle area for those blacks then ultimately Western Territory.

That was the progression we used with my son. 

eggraid
July 2, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

I would steer you toward Soaring Eagle lift. The lift goes right up the easiest black in that area - Widowmaker. As you ride up the lift, she can get a good look at the slope and gain confidence. It's a nice wide slope, so she can turn where she wants, and there are a green and blue slope to get down if she doesn't want to do it. You have to make that decision at the top - there is no bailout, but you will come down the green from the main Ballhooter area, then she can see Widowmaker, go down the blue, and then hopefully build up to Widowmaker. I feel like the Widowmaker is easier than Grabhammer, which is a little more narrow and I often find to be icy. This is what I did with my kids.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.