Vermont ski towns?
19 posts
12 users
4k+ views
camp
September 25, 2015
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

What other walkable ski towns are in Vermont?  I've been to Stowe many times, wondering if there are any others? Warren? Waitsfield? Rutland? Mt Snow?  Also familiar with the manufactured village of Smugglers and looking for something a little more organic, not including Burlington.

Thoughts?

JimK - DCSki Columnist
September 25, 2015 (edited September 25, 2015)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

camp wrote:

What other walkable ski towns are in Vermont?  I've been to Stowe many times, wondering if there are any others? Warren? Waitsfield? Rutland? Mt Snow?  Also familiar with the manufactured village of Smugglers and looking for something a little more organic, not including Burlington.

Thoughts?

I'm struggling to think of anything in VT quite like Stowe.  Warren and Waitsfield have some cuteness/quirkiness, but are pretty small.  Rutland is suburbia.  The Killington access road is like a big box shopping center with many things spread along about a 1-2 mile strip, not very walkable.  Best comparisons to Stowe are North Conway, also Lake Placid, and maybe Bethel, ME.  Manchester near Stratton and Ludlow near Okemo are a little bigger than Warren and Waitsfield IIRC, but not as interesting as others.

camp
September 25, 2015
660 posts

Thanks JIm, you ought to know.

Lake Placid is on the list too, and Rutland is now out. North Conway has been on the wanna go list for some time too.

Antoine
September 25, 2015
Member since 10/20/2014 🔗
275 posts

Brattleboro near stratton is pretty nice from what I hear. I can say Tha Waterbury is very nice its in between stow and MRG  and along the river as well as having the ben and jerry factory.  I really like the town it has several very nice joints in town.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 25, 2015
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Manchester is near Bromley and Stratton. One of my favorite places is the Equinox Hotel in Manchester, supposedly the oldest operating hotel in the USA. Also incorporated outlet stores into the town so good shopping. Larger than Stowe.

Ludlow is at the base of Okemo. A neat little town. Similar in size to Stowe.

Brattleboro is also near Mt. Snow.

JohnL
September 28, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Cows walk.

A lot in Vermont.

So teh fields are walkable

If you don't step in the poop.

If Burlington (not South Burlington) doesn't float your boat,

I don't think anything will in Vermont.

but don't lose hope

Vermont is one of the most rural states in the country.

Not ski towns (bit of a drive to slopes), but try Middlebury, Montpelier,

and Bennington.

JohnL
September 28, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

And cow poop is organic.

jimmy
September 29, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Bennington. We like the brewpub there, interesting city center, Best Western usually has nice rooms. Not close but close enough to Mount Snow, Okemo, Stratton, Magic.

crgildart
September 29, 2015 (edited September 29, 2015)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

JohnL wrote:

And cow poop is organic.

Sweet! What knd of wax do you recommend for that eh?

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
September 29, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Last year my buddy and I stayed in Londonderry, VT at the Swiss Inn.  Tiny little town but close to Stratton, Magic and Bromley.  I think there were a few local yocal places to eat and drink but we skiied hard and just hung out at the Inn's Tavern after dinner.

The guy that runs the Swiss Inn is a hoot.  We had some beers at their bar each night with a few other guests and listened to his jokes and stories.  It was a good time and we plan to return in 2016.

56fish
October 2, 2015
Member since 11/4/2011 🔗
73 posts

+1       Bennington Pizza at the Walmart plaza great.  Knotty Pine Motel, pet friendly & reasonable.

Bumps
October 3, 2015
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

JohnL wrote:

And cow poop is organic.

Ha ha, Made me snort! 

JohnL
October 4, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Bumps wrote:

JohnL wrote:

And cow poop is organic.

Ha ha, Made me snort! 

I aim to please.

For those who don't like to get their hands dirty, this is some vintage Vermont:

Woody Jackson's Holy Cow

Bio, Fellow Midd Grad

You either get Vermont, or you don't. It is also one of those places you'll never change. Despite the best efforts of Massholes and New Yawkas.

camp
October 7, 2015 (edited October 7, 2015)
660 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback, Ludlow wins our money for several reasons.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 10, 2015
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

What about Woodstock, VT? 33 minutes from Killington amd Okemo. 

camp
January 2, 2016
660 posts

camp wrote:

snowsmith wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback, Ludlow wins our money for several reasons.

Ludlow & Okemo delivered.

Six weeks of surliness significantly dimished now.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Stowe and Lake Placid are the 2 best ski towns in the east IMHO.  Ludlow is third, with the problem that the only place close is Okemo, which is pretty pedestrian.  Waitsfield/Warren are nice but too spread out for walking.  I'd put Burlngton at number 4.

camp
January 2, 2016
660 posts

Denis wrote:

Stowe and Lake Placid are the 2 best ski towns in the east IMHO.  Ludlow is third, with the problem that the only place close is Okemo, which is pretty pedestrian.  Waitsfield/Warren are nice but too spread out for walking.  I'd put Burlngton at number 4.

Agree on your #s 1 and 2. I'm a pedestrian enough skier that Okemo even at 25% open was fun and challenging/icy enough for the first turns of the season. Saw so many more closed narrow twisty rolly runs that looked really fun

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.