Seven Springs faces possible closure of over 70% of skiable terrain.
9 posts
8 users
6k+ views
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Neals Run Road is a public road in Saltlick Township that is closed in the winter. Neals Run Road bisects most of the main trails on the North Face of the resort including trails to the Gunner high speed six. A couple who own a second home at the end of that road are taking legal action to keep the road open year round. They are asking for an immediate injunction to keep the road open this winter. If granted this would  prohibit Seven Springs from making snow over Neals Run Road effectively closing the resort for this season. Article here:

Seven Springs Fights Lawsuit...

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2015
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Whew!  Here's a map (zoom out)   https://www.google.com/maps/@40.027443,-79.3020459,822m/data=!3m1!1e3

Will be interesting to see how this is resolved.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Sounds more like a spat between wealthy stubborn  neighbors that could have major complications of compromise not found!

Resolution:

1.  Lots of lawyers getting wealthy

2.  Homeowner will get better access via Seven Springs land

looking at satellite image I see a large house to left of ski slopes looking downslope, another large house farther out on  road and a church farther out...wonder how church members get to building when road is closed in winter.

The Colonel

eggraid
November 16, 2015
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Sounds more like a spat between wealthy stubborn  neighbors that could have major complications of compromise not found!

Resolution:

looking at satellite image I see a large house to left of ski slopes looking downslope, another large house farther out on  road and a church farther out...wonder how church members get to building when road is closed in winter.

The Colonel

That would be crazy to have that road open in the winter. I'm schocked that there hasn't been an alternate right-of-way done already. The article makes it sound like the owners of the house (built in 2008) asked for a right of way to build a new road, but Seven Springs refused, being worried about the impact on future development or something. So now the owners sue to get the road built.

crgildart
November 16, 2015
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

If granted this would  prohibit Seven Springs from making snow over Neals Run Road effectively closing the resort for this season. Article here:

Seven Springs Fights Lawsuit...

Maybe then the owners would sell the 7S assets at a loss and invest everything in Laurel Hill.  Can you imagine how crowded that and other smaller hills will be if 7S closes?  Be careful what you ask for!

jimmy
November 17, 2015 (edited November 17, 2015)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

This reminds me of my friend who told a lady who chewed him out for going into her yard to retrieve a golf ball. "Ma'am, if it bothers you when people hit golf balls in your yard you shouldn't have built your house on a golf course."

Funny stuff below, uncensored

http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/thread/817332/Seven-Spring-s-Lawsuit

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

Resolution:

The Colonel

The way I see it, there is a windy (unpaved?) road to get to the other side of Neals Run if starting over by the 7Springs base.  The other end of Neals Run intersects with another road.  But I assume going that way is a pretty long detour, especially if the idea is to go skiing.

gizmosnow
November 27, 2015
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts

I am surprised to see this has not yet been posted, but several days ago it was reported locally, i. e., Pittsburgh, that the judge ruled in favor of 7S.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 2, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

gizmosnow wrote:

I am surprised to see this has not yet been posted, but several days ago it was reported locally, i. e., Pittsburgh, that the judge ruled in favor of 7S.

Found a Nov. 23 article with the title "Judge rules in favor of Seven Springs Mountain over road closure".  So the injunction is off for the 2015-16 season but the lawsuit is still pending.

In denying the preliminary injunction, Vernon found the Hudocks failed to prove “immediate and irreparable harm” because they have “owned the property for a period of seven years under the same conditions in regard to Neals Run Road.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/news/fayette/9498606-74/road-resort-seven#ixzz3t8cIYKDw 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?