New Canaan Valley Glades Trails
45 posts
15 users
5k+ views
TomH
November 18, 2015
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Anyone know exactly where the new Glades Trails are located? Has anyone seen them, if so how nice are they?
wgo
November 18, 2015
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

East side of the mountain, between 2 black diamond runs...maybe between Gravity and Upper C-lift?

TomH
November 18, 2015 (edited November 18, 2015)
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
I was hoping someone knew specifically between which runs as East side is rather vague.
wgo
November 18, 2015
1,666 posts
I would like to know as well. All I can offer is uninformed speculation.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
JohnL
November 18, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

TomH wrote:

Anyone know exactly where the new Glades Trails are located? Has anyone seen them, if so how nice are they?

If you have to ask....

JohnL
November 18, 2015 (edited November 18, 2015)
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

wgo wrote:

East side of the mountain, between 2 black diamond runs...maybe between Gravity and Upper C-lift?

I have bushwacked in there before. Emphasis on the bushwacking.

Edit: I think drug Young Dr. Dave in there. He made it out OK, so it couldn't have been that bad. ;)

TomH
November 19, 2015
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Since they are advertising they actually cut new Glades Trails it seems like they wouldn't be keeping them secret. If so why even specify a vague general area. Hopefully they will have enough snow this year that it actually matters.
David
November 19, 2015
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

JohnL wrote:

wgo wrote:

Edit: I think drug Young Dr. Dave in there. He made it out OK, so it couldn't have been that bad. ;)

I'm still kickin'

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2015
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

I know a lot of unofficial trails at Canaan, nothing like the collective knowledge here but some...

I'm confused though, was TomH asking about new DESIGNATED glades?  If so where are they, no sense in being coy about it

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2015 (edited November 19, 2015)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

The Canaan Valley Ski Area website leads off with the announcement of the new glade trails.  Go to "resorts" on this website, click on CVS area, click on the resort website and up pops the announcement.

The Colonel

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 19, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I feel for those of you asking about this..... All I see is:

"NEW IN 2015/2016 ”“ THREE GLADE SKIING TRAILS!"

That sure as hell isn't much to go on.  Where's Waldo?

The19thHole
November 19, 2015
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

If you're on Facebook, a little more info here:

https://www.facebook.com/hswhite2346/videos/10205394664691072/?fref=nf

TomH
November 20, 2015
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Yes I was wondering about the new trails since they were advertising. Mostly interested if anyone had seen the work they had done. Looks pretty sweet. A bit hard to see how long the shot is but looks good. Thanks for the link 19th.
jimmy
November 20, 2015
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 20, 2015 (edited November 20, 2015)
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Here's a photo I took of the glade last month:

Wait a minute, that's not Canaan Valley. ;~)

November 20, 2015
228 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

very cute .. so where's that?  Double secret probation?

Thanks jimmy for the facebook link,

JohnL
November 20, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

jimmy wrote:

That ain't around Gravity. Not by the looks and how much (not a lot) was cleared out.

But I could be wrong.

JohnL
November 20, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

David wrote:

JohnL wrote:

wgo wrote:

I'm still kickin'

I'll try harder next time. ;)

November 21, 2015
2,038 posts

JohnL wrote:

jimmy wrote:

That ain't around Gravity. Not by the looks and how much (not a lot) was cleared out.

But I could be wrong.

Yes, that the first thing I thought of. Looks real nice.

November 21, 2015
2,038 posts

kemperski wrote:

very cute .. so where's that?  Double secret probation?

Thanks jimmy for the facebook link,

Gee, I wonder where that could be? 

imp - DCSki Supporter 
November 21, 2015
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

last tiem I show you a spot, Joe will be pissed

November 21, 2015 (edited November 21, 2015)
2,038 posts

I might have shown off a little gem but I didn't tell them where or how to find it. Anybody interested will just have to come on up next season and poke around for themselves. That or bribe you or me to show them. ;~)

November 21, 2015
228 posts

I might have shown off a little gem but I didn't tell them where or how to find it. Anybody interested will just have to come on up next season and poke around for themselves. That or bribe you or me to show them. ;~)

always nice to be counted as one of  "them", thanks

November 22, 2015 (edited November 22, 2015)
2,038 posts

kemperski wrote:

No snobbery indented, sorry.  "One of them" to me (and I think it means the same to imp) is one of those who have never visited us. Very understandable since in the last few decades my home hill has been closed more often than open. Come on over and play in our yard we'll give you a big friendly welcome. You'll just have to wait until next season.

JohnL
November 22, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

LM is not that big to miss much. And I have two guess where that is; I'll share with ya on our next chairlift ride.

November 22, 2015
2,038 posts

I'll bet you you don't know where it is. I'll wear a Capitols jersey while skiing at Seven Springs if you guess right. (You provide the jersey, official t-shirt will do.)

November 22, 2015
228 posts

kemperski wrote:

No snobbery indented, sorry.  "One of them" to me (and I think it means the same to imp) is one of those who have never visited us. Very understandable since in the last few decades my home hill has been closed more often than open. Come on over and play in our yard we'll give you a big friendly welcome. You'll just have to wait until next season.

Thanks Laurel Hill Crazie -- If I don't make it up there I at least hope to meet you at the Blue Knob gathering,  I'm sure you know some glades and glens there as well, snow permitting

November 22, 2015
2,038 posts

Kemperski, have you checked your private messages? 

November 23, 2015
228 posts

sorry very slack, just checked, thanks

Canaan Valley Resort
November 23, 2015
Member since 11/21/2015 🔗
57 posts

We're excited about the new glade skiing between Prosperity and Dark Side of the Moon. And we just started snowmaking at the tubing park too.

wgo
November 23, 2015
1,666 posts

Canaan Valley Resort wrote:

We're excited about the new glade skiing between Prosperity and Dark Side of the Moon. And we just started snowmaking at the tubing park too.

Thanks for clarifying!  One question - that's the west side of the resort, not the east side, as stated on the article, right? Or have I gotten myself completely turned around?

Again, thanks for the info.

JohnL
November 23, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Those glades are as new as The Cherry Bowl.

November 23, 2015
228 posts

JohnL wrote:

Perhaps, but I appreciate that Canaan Valley is opening them.  I love the trend for great places like Canaan to encourage getting into the trees instead of forbidding it like so many still do.

Thanks CVR, now order up some snow

JohnL
November 23, 2015
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Perhaps, but I appreciate that Canaan Valley is opening them.

They were always open. Along with tons of side/backcountry.

I think you mistake Canaan Valley, Timberline and Whitegrass for Snowshoe.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 23, 2015 (edited November 24, 2015)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

This is MephitBlue in a CV glade in 2012, but it is one closer to the main chairlift:

Here he is again following GG Nagy at CV in 2014, they're on a trail, but those woods might be where some of these "new" glades are located?

wgo
November 23, 2015
1,666 posts

JohnL wrote:

I haven't been to CV much but I have poked around in there a bit. I would think that with the glades being "officially" open the chances of getting caught on a random bit of underbrush are decreased somewhat.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2015
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Great news about the new glades.  

To me, skiing at CV just isn't skiing at CV without several runs on Dark Side of the Moon.  I don't ski Canaan Valley until you open Dark Side, and I've been truly disappointed when it's listed as open and then blocked off when I arrive.  Looking forward to Dark Side and the new glades this season.

Woody

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 24, 2015
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

wgo wrote:

Thanks for clarifying!  One question - that's the west side of the resort, not the east side, as stated on the article, right? Or have I gotten myself completely turned around?

Again, thanks for the info.

Wgo, I don't think you're turned around.  

CV faces north, so Dark Side and other runs to skier's left are on the ski area's west side.

Woody

November 25, 2015
228 posts

JohnL wrote:

Perhaps, but I appreciate that Canaan Valley is opening them.

They were always open. Along with tons of side/backcountry.

I think you mistake Canaan Valley, Timberline and Whitegrass for Snowshoe.

It would be hard to mistake Snowshoe for anywhere in the valley, .... anyway open or closed, designated or unofficial, I hope we can all start making some turns in those and surrounding trees,  and sooner rather than later.  I've had some good times in there

November 25, 2015 (edited November 25, 2015)
228 posts

I will say that although it was a treat to poach when prosperity was fenced, closed and untracked; still, Canaan moving the tubing runs and joining Upper and lower prosperity has made it one of the best runs in the southeast.  A great move I thought

November 25, 2015
2,038 posts

The longer this warm trend continues the more I fear that there will be little tree skiing in the region. Better be ready when it comes.

wgo
November 25, 2015
1,666 posts

kemperski wrote:

I will say that although it was a treat to poach when prosperity was fenced, closed and untracked; still, Canaan moving the tubing runs and joining Upper and lower prosperity has made it one of the best runs in the southeast.  A great move I thought

I remember the first time I came across prosperity when it was fenced out and untracked. What a treat, for sure. Have not been to CV since they opened it back up.

wgo
November 25, 2015
1,666 posts

The longer this warm trend continues the more I fear that there will be little tree skiing in the region. Better be ready when it comes.

Get it when you can get it when it is there to be got. Mantra of the Mid-Atlantic skier.

chaga
November 29, 2015 (edited November 29, 2015)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

wgo wrote:

Get it when you can get it when it is there to be got. Mantra of the Mid-Atlantic skier

That could be this year for sure! (like the 11-12 winter)   And that's why at WG we use a shop-vac in all the glades!   Glad to see some of the local ski patrol at canaan doing a lot of work in the glades though...that is a beautiful ski area.

It may not be a year where we ski a lot of glades, but the folks that ski here, don't just talk about glades.... they jump at the chance to come out and help glade and make new lines every weekend in november and beyond if no snow. Some friends, hand saws, pruners and a little beer is all you need to make world class glade skiing, trust me! Here is proof of a job well done, with the obligatory victory shots that the boss demands be taken!

November 29, 2015
2,038 posts

chaga, so nice to see an old skier's tradition continue. That's the kind of devotion that so many ski areas lack and what makes White Grass so special. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?