7S and HV - making snow as of 11.22 @ 6pm
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
Sincraft
November 23, 2015 (edited November 23, 2015)
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

7S seems to be limiting their snowmaking efforts to just Wagner and a slice of the slope next to it (Stowe?), the beginner trails in that front face connecting to wagner, and on lost boy trail which crosses over the highly contested Neals Run road.  I wonder if a settlement has been reached or, if 7S plans to continue forward as originally agreed until ordered to do otherwise.   I hope an agreement is reached that will make everyone happy including future expansion hopes.
I really hope 7Springs decides to turn on more snow guns here soon.  Two slopes and a number of short trails connecting to wagner isn't going to suffice.

HV is blowing snow too.  They have great snowmaking equipment spaced out for super coverage.  The former owners spent a nice amount of $ investing in some great equipment.  In the past HV has opened sooner because of their superior snow making equipment.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2015
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Here's the problem:

From the Post Gazette  ......

temperatures should return to the mid-50s later this week. Temperatures will rise to 54 degrees on Thanksgiving Day and remain in the 50s for a high of 51 degrees on Friday.

Sincraft
November 25, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts

It's shaping up to be one of the worst years for snow and skiing, after two years of what I consider sub par snowfall however, if you listen to the news they paint the last two winters as brutal.  Maybe for those wanting to wear windbreakers during the winter?  Sure we had some very cold snaps for a very brief period of time.  Nothing memorable though.

I talked to a weathergal, asking her for the outlook this year before I read anything about this years outlook, back in July - and she quickly said without hesitation No snow, warm.  Very bad year for skiers.

Based on the weather outlook for the upcoming days, we may not see more than a handful of snowmaking hours over the next week!  I would be surprised if 7S and HV open by mid dec with VERY limited terrain open.

snapdragon
November 25, 2015
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

Well Debbie Downer has spoken...I'm giving my snowboard away and burning my season pass.

wgo
November 25, 2015
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

That is just life as a skier in the mid-atlantic. When there is snow (natural or man-made) I will be skiing. When there is not snow I will be running or biking on local trails. To take the resort closest to my house as an example, there have been seasons when Wintergreen struggles to have anything open by Christmas, and seasons when we are skiing there over Thanksgiving weekend. No point in worrying about it.

oOOOo
December 19, 2015
Member since 12/2/2013 🔗
2 posts

Snowboard: $500

Parka: $200

Pants: $130

Helmet: $120

Boots: $150

Season Pass $500+

Is the mountain open? 7springs.com: 404 Not Found 

Priceless

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 19, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Looks like they're working on Wagner and Fawn. I'm not to hopeful unless the latest forecast of rain and mid-50s turns to snow and mid-20s. 

Base of Mountain

Sincraft
December 19, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
7s really wants to open for xmas very limited terrain but this warmup for the next 10 plus days is concerning.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.