How to keep feet warm inside Ski Boots
13 posts
12 users
8k+ views
Kris
November 23, 2015
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts

So last year i had a hard time keeping my toes warm.

What do you guys suggest is the best sock to wear, how many socks to wear, etc.

I was thinking about these....http://www.amazon.com/Wigwam-Sirocco-Performance-Black-Large/dp/B000LXB6FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448301476&sr=8-1&keywords=ski+socks

I know you guys have some tips and tricks.... :)

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2015
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Boots that are too tight or too loose will cause cold feet. If you have to really clamp down on your boots so they actually squeeze your feet to keep from flopping around your boots might be cutting off circulation and are too big. You can get a proper fitted boot but you have to find a good boot fitter, ask for the best boot fitter at the shop and be prepared to spend some time finding your boot size. Arrive opened minded about which brand to buy. Different companies use different last to form the inner boot and shell. An experienced boot fitter will look at your feet and ask about your terrain preference and skill level. You should be fitted to the shell without the inner boot inserted. If you already have boots go to a reputable shop and ask to have your boots fitted properly. You will be charged for the service unless you just recently purchased the boot from that shop.

Wear one pair of socks.....always, thick or thin, your choose.

Buy heated insoles if all else fails or ski on warmers days or take more breaks.

Search this site for local boot fitters.

Read this:  http://www.epicski.com/a/ski-boots-the-most-important-piece-of-gear-you-will-own

Good luck.

kwillg6
November 23, 2015
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Age old question on bootfitting and warmth.  The boot must fit properly and wear only one pair of socks, a good quality ski sock designed to wick moisture from the foot.  If that is not enough to keep toes warm, try boot heaters (about $150).  I use a "boot glove" which is black neopreme that velcroes to the boot.  If nothing else they help keep leaky boots drier.  Bottom line is this. The snow temp is much colder than the air temp and if your feet are on the snow they are going to get cold regardless of your efforts.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 23, 2015
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Kris wrote:

So last year i had a hard time keeping my toes warm.

What do you guys suggest is the best sock to wear, how many socks to wear, etc.

I was thinking about these....http://www.amazon.com/Wigwam-Sirocco-Performance-Black-Large/dp/B000LXB6FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448301476&sr=8-1&keywords=ski+socks

I know you guys have some tips and tricks.... :)

Only last year?  Same boots as past years?

I only need Boot Gloves when temps will be in teens or lower all day.  For me, what helped my feet and hands was figuring out how to keep my core warm by always wearing a vest in addition to whatever base layer, mid-layer, jacket combination makes the most sense.  I have different vests depending on temps.

Bonzski
November 23, 2015
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Unless you have poor circulation, or it's extremely cold (subzero), typically cold feet are a product of two things: poor blood circulation (boots too tight, stuffing layers inside your boot, clamping buckles too tight) or moisture (don't dry boots overnight, boots don't seal properly, allowing snow into boots from top).  Tips: Never wear more than one layer of socks and stay away from very thick socks.  Pull liners out overnight to dry, or at least let boots dry unbuckled....in dry warm area of course.  Keep your pants/shell outside you boot cuff.  Ski harder!

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
November 25, 2015
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

One pair of socks only, If you need more (or less I guess) then you have bigger problems.

Seriously though, if you like your boot shell and think it is the right size and good for your needs you should consider replacing the stock liner with an Intuition liner, they really are amazing, light warm and truly thermomoldable (is that a word?) at a shop or at home if you like DIY oven projects.  They are amazing

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 25, 2015 (edited November 25, 2015)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

The above is all good advice.  

Some of my opinions and practices FWIW.

i wear very thin synthetic liner socks.  I also undersize ski boots.  I wear a mens 9 street shoe and an 8 (mondo 26) ski boot.  To convert mondo to mens American sizes, add the 2 numbers.  26~8, 27~9, 30~12, etc.  ski boots need to be snug, not tight, with no unfilled space.  This is best for control of skis and warm feet. 

Cut your toenails short; never go skiing if you have not trimmed them for more than 2 weeks.  Disregard this one time, and you will never forget again.

putting on boots.  With all buckles open, kick the heel on the floor, so as to fit your heel firmly in the heel pocket.  Then close the second buckle, the one over the instep.  This is the only buckle you really need.  Then close the two upper (shin) buckles.  Last, close the toe buckle loosely.  (Tight will cut off circulation and cause cold toes.)  that buckle is not needed for control, only to seal the toe dam to keep water out.  Inspect the toe dam occasionally.  It tends to get pushed out if place.  If that happens, secure it with duct tape, or take it to a good boot fitter.

Use a good footbed in your boots.  It will accurately transmit your movements to the feet, and hence, your skis.  It will also greatly reduce loss of heat from the soles of your feet to the soles of your boots.  

Enroute to the mountain by car put the boots on the floor in the front passenger seat and set the heater on floor.  Never, never leave boots in a car overnight, or in a bus bay on bus trips.  If you wouldn't ride in a bus bay, then don't ask your boots to do that either.  If you are a parent of a teen going on a bus trip, be sure to tell them that.  If they have cold feet all day, they will come home very unhappy.  

I put my boots on in the lodge, i like to sit in a warm lodge to do this.  Carrying boots from the car to the lodge use a boot bag, or a boot sling, my preference.  I stuff my gloves in the boots to keep out cold air and snow.  On a short walk from the parking lot my hands are OK without gloves.

Always use a boot dryer for 4 hours or so after a day of skiing.  Use it while eating breakfast and you'll have toasty warm feet. 

if you have read this far you are a boot nut like me.  :)

bob
November 25, 2015 (edited November 25, 2015)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Denis wrote:

The above is all good advice.  

Good advice Dennis The only thing I'd add is that if your FEALLYwant to start the day with warm boots:

1) Buy a boot dryer

2) Buy an inverter for your car (converts 12v DC to 110v AC)

3) Keep the boot dryer in your boots as you drive to the hilll

The other advantage of doing this is that it makes putting on a pair of tight fitting boots much easier.

As a side note, I'm lucky. I never have cold feet - even when it's 25 below zero. I wear thin  moisture wicking socks, have custom footbeds, always bring boots inside, always use a boot dryer -- and luckily I also have great circulation.  

Sincraft
November 25, 2015
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
The biggest I see is people cranking down the bottom two buckles beyond a loose fitting causing strain on the foot arch and circulation issues. Wear one pair of ski socks nothing more. Worst case in very cold temps wear a pair of thicker wool only socks nothing more.
chaga
November 29, 2015
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

The easiest solution is to just ski uphill and earn your turns. It will solve your 'too cold' problems and lot's of other body and mind issues! 

skiracerx
November 29, 2015
Member since 11/24/2008 🔗
226 posts

Last year was the first year my toes got cold. Seemed to be a real cold year. 

If your feet get hot, then try clear antiperspirant on feet and ankles, no moisture. 

try putting Aluminum foil or NASA space blanket material under the Orthotic/ footbed. Or around outside of liner and protect with packing tape. reflect heat back. 

Dry liners by taking out of boot. Hair Dryer can hasten the drying time.

Crush
November 29, 2015
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

BOOT

HEATERS!

( hi Ed ! )

Kris
November 30, 2015
Member since 03/15/2005 🔗
248 posts

Thanks guys,

I usually wear 2 pair of socks.  that might be the problem.  Too tight inside the boot.  I'll try one nice pair of Ski socks this year and see what difference that makes.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.