Snowshoe snow in March?
5 posts
4 users
2k+ views
Breck04
February 6, 2016
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
11 posts

Our trip earlier to Snowshoe this season was canceled becuase of that really awful time where there was no snow.  They gave us a full refund (except for $10, but whatever) so now we can go at a different time.  The problem is everywhere to stay is booked until March.  I've never skiied the East Coast in March, and I need to know whether we'd actually be able to ski or not.  It's fine whether or not the snow is good (my family and I will ski literally anything), I just need to know if there is actually snow.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 6, 2016 (edited February 6, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Absolutely no way of telling this far in advance.  The past few winters have basically had plenty of snow in March.  I think last year, and maybe a couple recent winters prior, Snowshoe has been open until very early April. 

You did not indicate when in March you might be going, or from where you will be traveling.  I remember two years I was at Snowshoe in late March (24th or so) and got literally snowed in with dumps of over 15 inches!.  Snowshoe gets a lot of college spring breakers during March.

The Silver Creek area of Snowshoe tends to close in late mid-March.

The weather folks I rely on seem to indicate a snowy and cold February, extending into March, with some ups and downs in temps.  Last I saw Snowshoe was planning to remair open until after Easter, which is in late March this year.

But as Snowshoe says, everything is weather dependent!

The Colonel

skinavy
February 7, 2016
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

They try their dangdest to stay open through at least Easter, and seem to succeed most years.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Weather is always a crap shoot but when it's good, it's damn good and here's the proof from our March trip 3 years ago

https://vimeo.com/85154238

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 8, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Feb 8, 3:30 pm, white stuff coming down and covering ground at Snowshoe.  Looks like an awesome Presidents' Day weekend coming up!

ENJOY,

MorganB aka The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.