Snowshoe Saturday Carnage Report
28 posts
17 users
3k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 7, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Slopes were pretty crowded on a beautiful bluebird day.  Ballhooter was packed by 10 AM.  We only did a few basin runs, then western before lunch.  After lunch we did soaring eagle trails then onto silver creek.

The middle of the steep slopes were skied off and there were a lot of icy patches.  Way too many peeps on trails beyond their ability.  

A girl wiped out on upper cupp and was carted off with a neck brace.

Another girl was in a sling on lower ballhooter and was transported up the lift

Worst was the chooper flew in to extract someone just after lunch.  Not sure of the injury details but when the chopper comes, that's usually a bad sign.  We were on the bus at top of the world and had to wait.

Made the "mistake" of doing cupp one more time at 4 PM.  Lower cupp was a sheet of ice on the steep part.  

We'll see what today has in store as we plan to ski a 1/2 day .......

Sincraft
February 7, 2016
Member since 09/5/2011 🔗
256 posts
These resorts need more slopes but the limited season makes this tough. 7s wasnt that busy yesterday however one slap happy lift operator managed to backup the main lift horribly constantly stopping the lift. And another lift two lift operators were physically pushing and swearing at each other causing them to constantly stop the lift while they fought. We found an empty lift and soft snow on steep slopes with noone on it that we rode most of the day. It was great. The other slopes were skied off by noon
Bumps
February 7, 2016
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

Sincraft wrote:

These resorts need more slopes but the limited season makes this tough. 7s wasnt that busy yesterday however one slap happy lift operator managed to backup the main lift horribly constantly stopping the lift. And another lift two lift operators were physically pushing and swearing at each other causing them to constantly stop the lift while they fought. We found an empty lift and soft snow on steep slopes with noone on it that we rode most of the day. It was great. The other slopes were skied off by noon

Spent day at whitetail. Slopes were actually not bad considering. I stayed on experts and wasn't too crowed except for a couple big groups that would always come through at same time and clog slopes while the dropped in one at a time at various places on trails. However snow was heavy and as people's legs got tired I started seeing some serious yard sales around 3pm. 

rbrtlav
February 7, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Sincraft wrote:

Snowshoe and 7 Springs have plenty of slopes... people just dont use them all. Take a look at the Ballhooter camera on a Saturday and then look at Silver Creek. (Soaring Eagle is usually empty as well) I know there have been various discussions about how to better spread people out. I have been at 7 Springs when there has been a 20-25 minute wait for Gunnar and chairs going up the fixed grip lift you can see from Gunnar empty. 7 Springs even has the wait time board for the lifts in the lodge, I wonder if that was more visible if people would spread out more. 

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
crgildart
February 7, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Just wait til NEXT Saturday hahahaha

Bonzski
February 7, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Slopes were pretty crowded on a beautiful bluebird day.  Ballhooter was packed by 10 AM.  We only did a few basin runs, then western before lunch.  After lunch we did soaring eagle trails then onto silver creek.

The middle of the steep slopes were skied off and there were a lot of icy patches.  Way too many peeps on trails beyond their ability.  

A girl wiped out on upper cupp and was carted off with a neck brace.

Another girl was in a sling on lower ballhooter and was transported up the lift

Worst was the chooper flew in to extract someone just after lunch.  Not sure of the injury details but when the chopper comes, that's usually a bad sign.  We were on the bus at top of the world and had to wait.

Made the "mistake" of doing cupp one more time at 4 PM.  Lower cupp was a sheet of ice on the steep part.  

We'll see what today has in store as we plan to ski a 1/2 day .......

I stayed on WT til about 230pm.  First few laps on Cupp were tolerable but it was getting scrapped quickly with carnage count increasing exponentially.  We went to Shays and found the right edge of lower Shays was a powder stash that held up all afternoon so we kept lapping there. Lower traffic and the lift line wait on Shays was a third of the Cupp side.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 7, 2016
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

If you're at Snowshoe and you find yourself overcome with sensory overload due to crowd saturation, carnage on the slopes with people who never heard of ski ettiquette, an hour wait at Ballhooter and a skied-off terrain at Cupp and Upper Shays, the answer is simple.  Go to the bus depot and catch the next bus to Silver Creek.  In several occasions we had the slopes to ourselves while Snowshoe's main basin looked like the L'Enfant Metro station at rush hour.

AndyGene
February 7, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts
I decided not to ski on satutday as I knew it would be a cluster. I skiied the basin on Thursday from open to close. The soaring eagle blacks were almost unskiable because of the ice. No lines all day, even at Ballhooter. On Friday I skiied the western territory from 9am to lunch. Around lunch a small lift line formed so I bussed over to Silver Creek. I think 100 people were there at most. I could have boarded on to most lifts without unstrapping if I wanted to. I find their terrain almost better than the basin side. This morning I was reading some info on snowshoes website about crowd control at the ballhooter. They said that they had a bus at the base of the ballhooter lift going to silver creek on a busy day. Only 10 people used it. They are considering putting a video screen up showing the lift lines at Silver Creek to get people over there.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
February 7, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Interesting!

FreshPow
February 8, 2016
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

I've never been to Snowshoe. This read sure makes it unlikely that seal will break anytime soon. ;-)

February 8, 2016
1,580 posts

FreshPow wrote:

I've never been to Snowshoe. This read sure makes it unlikely that seal will break anytime soon. ;-)

SUNDAY UPDATE

Absolutely wonderful.  Our plan was to ski from 9 - 11 as we had to be out of the condo for incoming guests.  Skied from 9 - 10:45 then threw our stuff in the truck and skied until 2 PM.

Sunday may have been one of the best days in years.  The snow was fantastic, crowds were managable and the sun was shining.  We were shocked by how the trail conditions improved from Sat - Sun.  We expected firm groomers to be skied off to ice by 10 but ended up with sweet skied up sugar all day.  We did laps in the basin and soaring eagle all day.  My ski tracks showed 20 runs and 16 miles of skiing.

What a difference a day makes.

Time to renew my season pass.  

The19thHole
February 8, 2016
Member since 06/29/2015 🔗
85 posts

With places like Snowshoe, you just have to choose your battles carefully. I went on a Sunday last year a few days before they closed, and we had the run of the place. 100% open, good coverage, great snow, and discounted late-season lift tickets. Not a single lift line anywhere all day, and we had a blast. That time of the year most people have forgotten about skiing and moved on to golf.

But the Saturday of President's Day weekend? You literally couldn't pay me to be on the slopes at Snowshoe. 

FreshPow wrote:

Bonzski
February 8, 2016
652 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

SUNDAY UPDATE

Absolutely wonderful.  Our plan was to ski from 9 - 11 as we had to be out of the condo for incoming guests.  Skied from 9 - 10:45 then threw our stuff in the truck and skied until 2 PM.

Sunday may have been one of the best days in years.  The snow was fantastic, crowds were managable and the sun was shining.  We were shocked by how the trail conditions improved from Sat - Sun.  We expected firm groomers to be skied off to ice by 10 but ended up with sweet skied up sugar all day.  We did laps in the basin and soaring eagle all day.  My ski tracks showed 20 runs and 16 miles of skiing.

I agree the trail conditions Sunday were surprising better, although I really enjoyed the pow on lower Shays on Saturday.  I guess the overnight temps didn't drop as low so the snow stayed loose.  I'm also impressed how well Snowshoe's been able to keep the trail count up.

The Ballhooter to Silvercreek shuttle is a great idea....they need to get the word out, maybe make it an every weekend thing. I know some of the shuttle drivers so I'll talk to them about it.

FreshPow
February 8, 2016
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

SUNDAY UPDATE

Absolutely wonderful...

Sunday may have been one of the best days in years. ...

Good to hear. ..and for what it's worth, my post not meant to be critical - just a dry one  in light of the comments. Well understood how certain days (i.e. Saturdays in peak season) are rather testing at just about any hill. Heck, my "home hill" is Whitetail. I know!

Hope to get down there one day soon - perhaps one of those March weekends when the peak season crowd has moved on to other endeavors - or perhaps a midweek opportunity. To many more days like Sundays.

...meanwhile, I'm spotting an evening session tonight if not one first thing tomorrow morning on the home hill with this forecasted fresh. Hope others can as well.

eggraid
February 8, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Saturdays at Snowshoe are a disaster. I'm getting closer to adopting the philosophy of bussing over to Silver Creek at 9 AM and just staying there all day, even though we usually like to go back to the condo for lunch.

I am looking forward to being there for the week before Easter this year in late march. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that cold temps and more snow will make late March skiing a reality like it has been the past few years.

February 8, 2016
1,580 posts

eggraid wrote:

Saturdays at Snowshoe are a disaster.

Do you think it's worse than years past?  I do. 

I'm with you on taking in lunch at the condo.  We will only ski the basin area until 11 AM.  At 11 we go in for a bite.  It's nice to take a 30 - 45 minute break, fuel up and be set for the afternoon.

This past Sat my buddies wife suggested we ski over to Soaring Eagle after lunch.  We did a few runs there then jumped on the Silver Creek shuttle bus at Top of the World.  Since it's the first / last stop you get a seat VS standing.   I think that will be the norm for us in the future rather than catching the bus at the village stop.

+1 on late March - I'm hoping for the same. 

AndyGene
February 8, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts
I agree it is worse. The season was a month late, so everyone is trying to go now. On top of that TL and CV are only 50% open.
bnzmnzhnz
February 8, 2016
Member since 12/4/2015 🔗
8 posts

I saw the mess that Wednesday's warm rain made on the mountain, and expected the worst possible experience when I hit the slopes on Thursday. Yet the surface was remarkably good, I think the snowmakers did a fantastic job rescuing the weekend for us.

Thursday was a great experience for everyone, all the runs to ourselves and no lift lines.

Friday I had some of the best runs I've ever had over on Cupp and Shays. Was it just me or is the last drop on Cupp a lot easier to ski than previous years? I usually manage at least one spill on ice right before the end when my legs are tired.

On Saturday my buddy was at rope drop, headed straight down to Ballhooter from Powderidge and found it already jam-packed. He reported back on the situation, so I had a relaxed breakfast then took the family straight down to Silver Creek. We had a fantastic day, no lines at all, and the kids had a blast. They even hit a few runs on Bear Claw, their first ever black, which made them extra happy.

SCWVA
February 9, 2016
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

So why do people ski Snowshoe?

Is it the long hard drive, the long lift lines, all the Gapers, high lift ticket prices, expensive lodging, over groomed (no bumps), or the mediocre terrain?

snow.buck
February 9, 2016 (edited February 9, 2016)
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

Must be for the investment opportunity. LOL LOL

Seriously, when you buy vacation property anywhere...you just plain feel obligated to go there. Like the Realtor told me: "You're losing more every year...all you can get out of it is USING it". Hence...you feel like you HAVE to go until you find some wide-eyed uninformed Buyer...then...let it go LET IT Gooooo.

Bonzski
February 9, 2016
652 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Is it the long hard drive, the long lift lines, all the Gapers, high lift ticket prices, expensive lodging, over groomed (no bumps), or the mediocre terrain?

Because it's a destination resort and there's are many people from NY to FL that enjoy that, have the $, and tolerate the negatives...many of which all resorts share to some degree or another anyway.  High lifty?...a $220 season pass is hard to argue as expensive, but is also the primary reason for crowds. The terrain is mediocre but sufficient and comparable to other areas in SE.  It does lack backcountry/touring options, at least documented ones, but I have no problems finding bumps and glades.  Can't help your long hard drive from SC? but it seems # of people from NC to FL represents a large % of visitors based on my talking to people on lift rides. Expensive lodging, yes, but there are inexpensive options off the mountain.  Doubt you're going to do it, but if you do decide to try it, hit me up and I'd be more than happy to ski/ride with you.

bnzmnzhnz
February 9, 2016
Member since 12/4/2015 🔗
8 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Each to their own, but for me Snowshoe has the most fun skiing that is driveable from DC. I like Timberline too, but even after this appalling weather Snowshoe was 100% open (except glades): 54 trails, 12 lifts. I have small kids and there is a limit to the number of times I want to ski Salamander.

Anyone who has been there a couple of times understands Ballhooter Saturdays and plans accordingly.

Just my opinion :-)

February 9, 2016 (edited February 9, 2016)
1,580 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Marketing is a magical science and Snowshoe has a masters degree in it.

These are the same type of people that pay $100 a day to go to Disney to stand in line.  They sit in traffic in their cars on rte 50 for hours on Fri to go to the beaches.  They pay hundreds to go to a Caps / Nats / Skins game to over pay for parking and $9 for a beer.  They are out there and there are millions of them.

The handful of us that complained are the minority.  For each of us (me) who complained about Saturday there are most likely 10 times each of us that went home Sunday and told all their buddies how awesome it was.

AndyGene
February 9, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

I go to snowshoe because I find it has the best terrain that is accessible to me (I live in Cincinnati).  The only thing I see that Timberline has over Snowshoe is the Salamander.  They have bumps, some glades and I really enjoy Cupp Run, and Shays Revenge.  My wife enjoys the village (she doesn't ski).  I also enjoy not having to drive anywhere once I get to lodging.  I think the $220 pass is pretty cheap.  And when the place does get busy I really like going to silver creek and skiing with no lift lines.

Sschneid
February 9, 2016
Member since 03/22/2015 🔗
50 posts

SCWVA wrote:

It is the closest you can find in the mid-atlantic/southeast to west coast ski resorts.  The village, the number of slopes, the variation of terrain, the amount of natural snow, etc.  

For those of us that go there frequently, we can work around the crowds as there is a science to avoiding the lines. 

I haven't found a resort within six hours of DC that is even close. 

jumary77
February 9, 2016
Member since 01/20/2016 🔗
5 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

SCWVA wrote:

Marketing is a magical science and Snowshoe has a masters degree in it.

These are the same type of people that pay $100 a day to go to Disney to stand in line.  They sit in traffic in their cars on rte 50 for hours on Fri to go to the beaches.  They pay hundreds to go to a Caps / Nats / Skins game to over pay for parking and $9 for a beer.  They are out there and there are millions of them.

The handful of us that complained are the minority.  For each of us (me) who complained about Saturday there are most likely 10 times each of us that went home Sunday and told all their buddies how awesome it was.

I don't understand the hating/insulting of people who enjoy SS. It makes us sound like idiots. How do you know all this other stuff? Why complain? Snowshoe will always be the same altitude and have basically the same snow. Plus, it is in WV, and roads there will always be the same. Still, it is the best in the Mid-Atlantic, and a lot cheaper than fllying ot Denver or Salt Lake City. Don't like it, then just go somewhere else.

Plus, I live quite close to Disney World, and there are many days when there are shorter lines. Just do your homework and make wise descirions about when to go.

February 9, 2016
1,580 posts

Hey jumary -

If I came across offensive, I apologize.  ( I got engaged at Disney and go there every year - we love it)  After reading some of my comments above, I could have done a much better job of describing why people ski Snowshoe.  Sometimes written words come across poorly and I fulfilled that deficeincy.

FWIW, I'm a long time homeowner at Snowshoe and have skied there since the mid 80's.  I love it there.  My family built a TON of memories and I was lucky to make many new friends.  

Sadly, this thread went in the wrong direction.  If one reads the orig post, I was referring to the many injuries I witnessed.  I was honest about the trail conditions and crowds.  

Bottom line - some folks don't care for SS and that's OK.  Each of our resorts fills a niche and that's a good thing.  

Next time you come to SS, ping me.  You'll meet some great peeps and we've been known to share our beer.

eggraid
February 10, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

+1 on what Blue Don said. We like to complain, but the truth is I really like Snowshoe. It's got more acreage than other Mid-Atlantic ski areas, they do better than anyone at snowmaking/getting terrain open than anyone in the Mid-Atlantic, their season passes are only $220, they get as much snow as anyone in the Mid-Atlantic. I really like the view from the condos - I think it's awesome to be able to stay at the top of the mountain. It has things for non-skiers to do, and how awesome is it that a lift ticket also includes skiing at a non-crowded ski area just 3 miles away, which there is a free shuttle for and has some nice terrain parks and night skiing. And they aren't afraid to put in high-speed lifts and keep facilities up-to-date. The drive is a pain and parts of it get crowded, but I really enjoy everytime I go I choose to go back as often as we can.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.