Driving to Snowshoe
9 posts
8 users
3k+ views
fmi1
February 22, 2016
Member since 05/16/2013 🔗
26 posts

I'm looking forward to finally making it to snowshoe for the first time this Wednesday. I'll be driving down from the state college/central pa area. I just googled the directions and it looks like it wants to take me down 220 to 93, continuing on to route 28 and 66. Those familiar with the area is this the best route from where I'm driving? I'll be driving in at night and was wondering if there are any particulary dangerous sections I need to watch out for or any areas patrolled heavy for speeding? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

fmi1
February 24, 2016
Member since 05/16/2013 🔗
26 posts

Bump. Would really appreciate any info. Thanks!!

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

fmi1 wrote:

Bump. Would really appreciate any info. Thanks!!

I came from Altoona one time and if I recall I came down 99 then took 219 all the way to 66.  It was longer but a better drive.  Don't speed in Elkins if you go that way.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
February 24, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Either way, watch out for deer, especially in the first hour or 2 after dusk.

Bonzski
February 24, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

I don't have the experience but would consider jumping over to I-81 South. Someone from NOVA on this board can recommend the best route from there.

NonstopSki
February 24, 2016
Member since 12/24/2007 🔗
132 posts

Here is what I have saved from the I-81 route. Seems like it would be longer for you, as these directions are for DC to Snowshoe. 

https://www.evernote.com/l/AANHT1DMoK1ECafBSQR-_FaWvUfT81JLBPc

dt3
February 24, 2016
Member since 11/15/2009 🔗
24 posts

I cant say how its different coming from PA but once you hit the 66/81 intersection you have two options (which in perfect conditions end up being within 10 minutes of each other). First option is jumping on 55 and heading west through west va and then heading south once you get closer. 2nd option is heading south through VA down 81 and then heading west once you get closer.

I normally take the first option for two reasons... to avoid potential traffic on 81 and because its the way Ive always done it. Other friends prefer the 81 route because they believe there are less small town WV cops trying to give you trouble (which Ive never had problems with). As long as you print out the directions before you leave either route should work well for you.

Sschneid
February 24, 2016
Member since 03/22/2015 🔗
50 posts

dt3 wrote:

I cant say how its different coming from PA but once you hit the 66/81 intersection you have two options (which in perfect conditions end up being within 10 minutes of each other). First option is jumping on 55 and heading west through west va and then heading south once you get closer. 2nd option is heading south through VA down 81 and then heading west once you get closer.

I normally take the first option for two reasons... to avoid potential traffic on 81 and because its the way Ive always done it. Other friends prefer the 81 route because they believe there are less small town WV cops trying to give you trouble (which Ive never had problems with). As long as you print out the directions before you leave either route should work well for you.

One adjustment - get of 48/55 @ Moorfield (Sheetz there is a good pitstop).  Take a right out of sheets down 220.  That will take you into Petersburg.  You wiull have to make on final right on Main St but otherwise it is pretty much a straight shot.

Google Maps says stay on 48/55, but doing this trick will save you another 10-15 minutes.  Trust me. 

remaxagent
July 6, 2016
Member since 07/4/2016 🔗
2 posts

Greetings-Just joined DCSki, been a big fan of this forum for years. For any real estate, lodging or general Snowshoe Resort questions, visit us at: www.SnowshoeResort.net or twitter.com/remaxsnowshoewv or facebook.com/remaxsnowshoeresort

Read the post about replacing PowderMonkey lift, after this past winter, capital improvements have been put on hold. However, the resort has done an incredible job maintaining and keeping everything fresh; the landscaping is lush and weed free, the staff is cheerful and extremely helpful and the summer events have been a hit. Looking forward to Chili Cookoff!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?