Timberline's best interest
19 posts
12 users
4k+ views
realmccoy
March 25, 2016
Member since 08/18/2015 🔗
11 posts

Timberline ski area is slapping us in the face again.  They have custom built a snowmobile race course that is top notch in my book for their one day event.  Howard has been hard at work all day pushing snow all over the hill to accomodate their bread and butter, snowmobiles!

I think it is one the only intelligent things they do; once the season is over a great way to generate some revenue.

However, closing one week early, apparently due to a lack of snow that many have been and continue to ski on, and now dedicatting valuable resources for a snowmobile race is a kick to the nuts.  Close mid week, no problem, makes sence.  The hill could have been easily reopened for the 6-8 inches of snow over the weekend.  Nope, that diesel, snow and man hours is for the sled necks!  Suck it pass holders, second home owners, and spring breakers; opening and closing dates mean nothing.  Kinda like your safety until, oh snap, did that just happen.

See you on Meadows 1 this weekend :) #skiittobelieveit

chaga
March 26, 2016
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

realmccoy wrote:

See you on Meadows 1 this weekend :) #skiittobelieveit

Hey, that's my gig man! Keep off my meadows corn! I will figure out who you are and, and... give you a thumbs up.  It is definitely patchy now though. Wednesday was simply butter corn. But it poured rain Thursday night. This afternoon will be nice corn, but with a few disconnects for sure.

kwillg6
March 27, 2016
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Pretty much my thoughts as well regarding the closing a weekend early.  Had they had the lift running, even if from mid, it would have been good skiing for those who wanted it.  If they closed due to lack of skiers or the fear of that, why advertise they are open till....  Discount tickets to fill chairs. A $20 lift ticket would at least cover operating costs and would build their late season potential for the futurre.  Was a time when they would remain open through mid April.  As a property owner, I'm dealing with the loss of rental income as are many others due to their decision. 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 27, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Not their only bad decision!  No, I am not going to pile on!  I just wish somebody with pockets deep enough to really improve the snowmaking, lifts and lodge would magically appear!!  Please!!!

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
realmccoy
May 25, 2016
11 posts

Here is Timberlines latest excuse for the crumbling infrastructure.  No mention that the scenic chair lift will NOT be running at all this Memorial Day weekend.  Wonder why?

Timber's Pub will be open from 4:00pm to late on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Drinks and a limited menu will be available for our guests.

We will have horseback riding at Timberline Stables from 10:00am to 5:00pm Friday through Monday as well as sunset rides on Friday. Call 304-866-6326 to schedule your trail ride.

Guests will be able to rent cross-country bikes, however the downhill bike park will not be open for Memorial Day weekend due to excessive rain causing delays in our preparations.

Sorry Colonel, we need to pile on the truth about Tline.  They can brag about how they are the only resort open in the south last December.  However, when it comes to their current status for Memorial Day Weekend, crickets, or one single post on FB does not cut it.  

They could not care less about the folks who booked vacations over Memorial Day after being sold on a four season resort vacation with full amenities.  Not even going to start on the publics safety and the triple.  

snapdragon
May 25, 2016
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

Considering that it has rained practically every day this month (7-8 inches) you shouldn't be riding those trails anyway.  What kind of yahoo rides mud?

SCWVA
May 27, 2016
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Crickets can't clear trails.......................

crgildart
May 29, 2016 (edited May 29, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Not a good idea to have trail rides in the mud either.  There's an accident in the making there.  All the horse folks I know put riding lessons and trail rides on hold for greenhorns and campers if it's too sloppy. 

rbrtlav
May 30, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Gravity series east Facebook says timberline may not have lifts until June 17th. I wonder if there is more to this than simply getting things ready... 

yellowsnow
May 30, 2016
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

rbrtlav wrote:... I wonder if there is more to this than simply getting things ready... 

Oh yes, indeed.  I'm surprised the locals haven't had more to say here.

snapdragon
May 31, 2016
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

I retract my statement and take the loss.  If the triple isn't spinning now then why was it spinning after it was "fixed"? 

realmccoy
June 7, 2016
11 posts

The only honest explanation of why the triple lift is not allowed to run at Tline is found on a mountain bike race site.  WHY is this info not on their web or facebook site.  Shaddy, very shaddy, and they tell GES the lift needs required off season work.  No, it needs work because a catastrofic failure last winter that never got fixed properly.

Remember how proud they were of all the hard work in blizzard conditions to get the chair functioning in one week.  Now some rain and "ground moisture" is stopping operations.

Does anybody else smell the bull....?, or is it just me.

GES #2 (Timberline, WV) is being postponed until a later date in the July-August time frame
We regret to inform everyone that due to excessive spring rains,  ground moisture,  and forecast weather for the next two weeks”¦   Timberline’s required off season lift service work cannot be guaranteed to be completed by June 17-19th.    Without this required service the resort insurer will not allow use of the lifts.  Therefore, to give racers adequate time to reschedule / rearrange travel plans and rather than wait longer to determine viability of the project completion date we have jointly, along with Timberline, decided to postpone and reschedule. 

We became aware of the service project implications this week as the original schedule has slipped due to the weather/ground conditions  at or below a  60/40 %  or less likelihood of full project  completion by June 17th.

We would like everyone to know that Timberline is doing everything in it’s power to complete the service work as soon as possible.  The lift operation is critical to the success of organization and is given the utmost priority.  The Maxxis Gravity East Series fully supports  Timberline Four Seasons Resort,  in their efforts to maintain the lifts & service,  in the best  interests of riders and the resort community.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
June 7, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

ok dumb question.  why can't the mountain bikers ride the other triple chair ?  

David
June 7, 2016
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

pagamony wrote:

ok dumb question.  why can't the mountain bikers ride the other triple chair ?  

Dumber question...  why can't mountain bikers just ride to the top? They are called "mountain bikers", right?? 

realmccoy
June 8, 2016
11 posts

This has nothing to do with mtn. biking.  Big picture here.  

Call the resort and ask about scenic chair lift rides, zip lining, or DH biking.   All closed, with no date to open.  Yet advertised on their web site as open.

This dishonesty is ok to everyone? 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
June 8, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I really feel for you guys that have places / financial interests down there.  Such a beautiful area that seems to be in constant chaos.

David
June 8, 2016
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

I asked Timberline:  The website says the lifts are running and mountain biking is happening. Are these all lies or is the site just that seriously neglected?    http://www.timberlineresort.com/summer16/activities.php

They responded: This is one of our summer seasonal activities. We haven't removed this from the website as the bike park will be open soon. Currently cross-country bicycles are available and the beginner trails at the base of the mountain are open. Sorry for any confusion - we will post an announcement on social media when the advanced trails open.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
June 9, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

I really feel for you guys that have places / financial interests down there.  Such a beautiful area that seems to be in constant chaos.

yeah me too.  so if anyone has a nice place in old timberline they want to give away, i suppose i could take it off your hands.   or is that like a free puppy ?

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 9, 2016 (edited June 9, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Apparent the Canaan Valley Ski Area senic chairlift is running having just passed state and federal inspections and certifications!! 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?