Season Over, How Many Days, Where
37 posts
22 users
5k+ views
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
March 30, 2016 (edited March 30, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

postings seem to have dried up, but the season continues out west and up north! However mine is over😩!  So..,

I enjoyed 15 days on slope:

1-Whitetail; 3-Canaan Valley; 1-Timberline; 3-Snowshoe; 1-Snowbird UT, 3-Park City; 2-Deer Valley; 1-Timberline Snowy Luau

HIGHLIGHTS:  Managed to be in Canaan Valley for the Jan. Blizzard!, Best Snow-CV, Worst snow-Timberline, worst Day-TL ungroomed Sunday after blizzard, & wid driven rain/ice pellets one day at Park City, Despite huge dumps in early season UTAH had marginal slushy conditions in early March due to poor snow in Feb, great coverage at Snowshoe in late Feb.

Pet Peeve: Wintergreen not having a true season pass (defined as usable every day open) and no super senior rates.

Kudos to CV Lodge for senior room rates (both week days and weekends) and Wisp, Snowshoe, Timberline, Canaan Valley, Massanutten and Bryce for true Super Senior low cost or free lift tickets!!!

See you next season on the slopes!!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

bob
March 30, 2016
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Well Colonel, my season isn't quite over.

So far 58 days, 1.942 million feet of vert at Breck, Keystone, Beaver Creek and Vail. I may get in up to another 12 days before Breck closes on 4/24 -- then there is likey at least one May or June day at A-Basin.

rbrtlav
March 30, 2016 (edited March 30, 2016)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

29 days... beginning Dec 11 at Snowshoe ending Mar 27 at Snowshoe

Snowshoe: 12

7 Springs: 1

Roundtop:1

Liberty: 7

Whitetail: 5

Ragged Mountain (NH): 1

Cranmore Mtn (NH): 1

Gunstock Mountain (NH): 1

Reflections on the season: Social media through the resorts, especially early and late season this year was vital and I think Snowshoe and Whitetail both handled it amazingly well.

When weather is bad (warm) in the DC area it is amazing how well Snowshoe seems to fare, I know their mountain ops moved a bunch of snow, but the performance they put on the last 3 weekends of the season was nothing short of impressive, with limited snow making and only a few inches of natural snow they managed to keep 35+  trails open through closing day in what I thought was pretty decent conditions.... March 12th I never would have thought that would be possible. March 20th Snowshoe had 41 trails and 7 Springs had 7 (March 27th was 35:SS and 0:7S) , in past years I feel like % open at these 2 resorts is MUCH closer.

Whitetail put on an impressive snowmaking feat in late Feb. I have a picture with serveral places where snow was up to nearly the top of the snowmakers, but 80 degree temps for a week... isn't really much they could do. Whitetail IMO has the most impressive snowmaking system in the region after upgrades last season and hopefully the weather next year will help them a bit more. Despite the horrible season they will be building an impressive lodge addition... like to see the investment.

New Hamphshire seems like a gem, but they dont have the snowmaking of whitetail/snowshoe/7 springs. I plan on going back next year when the weather is hopefully better to explore a bit more. Ragged is a resort I plan on going to again, and I will hopefully get a chance to try some new places.

7 Springs: I feel like they really put down a ton of snow this year and I was SHOCKED they were able to cut a half pipe... but their open design must be a snowmaker's worst nightmare in a mild winter. They can "open" trails with a lot of dirt (see webcams in December) because they are so wide and in many cases one trail touches another. But IMO the way to ski 7 Springs is cutting across various trails and making nice long runs on the north face, which for much of this season seemed difficult.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Even 20 for me

3 in CO (Vail, Copper, Keystone)

2 in NH (Loon and Cannon)

2 in PA (HV *2)

1 in MD Wisp

12 in SS

Highs - the trips west and north were fantastic

Lows - failed to use my free swap pass at 7S and BK this season - just not enough weekends

Next Year - Looking at getting the MaxPass addon for a trip to Big Sky and a few of the participating resorts in the NE.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 31, 2016 (edited March 31, 2016)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I don't count days.  Of course early in the season I know, but as they begin to mount up i lose the count and prefer it that way.  So, I'll answer a different question, how was my season.  

Interesting question that has caused some reflection.  I taught this season, part time at Sierra at Tahoe.  I've never taught at a mountain ski school before.  I taught for 20 years with a youth group in northern VA.  For the last 10 or so of those years I was the trainer, I trained our instructors and rarely taught the kids.  So I decided to try the mountain school experience with visions of doing advanced lessons and maybe telemark.  I am PSIA Level 2 in alpine and telemark.  The reality was quite different.  Demand is almost entirely on weekends and it is for first time skiers.  I greatly enjoy seeing the smiles when people begin to get it, but it limited my free skiing. 

This El Nino season has been very wet but also very warm on the west coast.  The season's biggest storm, about 6 weeks ago, was unusual for its intensity but otherwise pretty typical.  27" of 12-15% water content snow fell at Kirkwood in a little over 12 hours.  It responded beautifully to high energy authoritative skiing, spank it or be spanked.  But, the entire mountain went on wind hold by 11 and the only road, CA Hwy 88, closed on both east and west sides of Kirkwood due to avalanches in the passes by noon and remained closed overnight.  Winds peaked at 130 mph over the Sierra crest.   500 people slept on the floor of the day lodge.  I got a hotel room by putting my name on a cancellation list early.  The next day temp. hit 50 deg.  This has been happening over and over, but truth requires saying that Kirkwood's snow total for the season is 450".  30 year avg. is 600.  I had been looking forward to a long and great backcountry spring skiing season.  However it never freezes hard at night.  Without hard freezing at night, you don't get good corn.  It has been bottomless glop with a thin breakable crust in early morning.  

Then came the shoulder injury, a type of dislocation that they called a subluxation.  Also a small tear in the rotator cuff that can probably heal with time and physical therapy.  So now, post injury, I am exploring around backcountry trailheads on snowshoes.  I just love being in the mountains and any information I gather will be useful in the future.

Last week, Carson Pass heading due north to the behemoth of Red Lake Peak.  In a mere half mile and a few hundred vertical I was in an alpine world looking at a huge southeast facing bowl and gully.  I was overtaken by a posse of backcountry enthusiasts, 4 splitboarders, one skier on alpine touring bindings and a dog having more fun than the other 5 put together.  I stayed for a while to appreciate the surroundings, and truth be told, to see the carnage when they started down, but they kept climbing and I got impatient.  On the way out I saw a 100 foot long point release slide and 4 foot pinwheel that almost reached the skin track.  It wasn't there when I went in.  

On another day, Luther Pass to Waterhouse Peak.  Its an absolutely gorgeous north facing old growth forest, widely spaced with a moderate pitch that gradually increases as you ascend.  I think I could have enjoyed skiing it if injury free, yet the snow was highly variable, sun vs. shade.  The spring sun in the Sierra at altitude is intense.  Coming out of shade to a soft sunny patch can throw you over the handlebars into a hard crash.  I know this from experience.

I am greatly enjoying these snowshoe days.  The surroundings are magnificent.  When you're not skiing, there are no expectations, no performance pressure, and no disappointments with snow conditions.  Perhaps that is the true gift of this season.

David
March 31, 2016
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

The Colonel wrote:

postings seem to have dried up, but the season continues out west and up north! However mine is over😩!  So..,

I enjoyed 15 days on slope:

1-Whitetail; 3-Canaan Valley; 1-Timberline; 3-Snowshoe; 1-Snowbird UT, 3-Park City; 2-Deer Valley; 1-Timberline Snowy Luau

HIGHLIGHTS:  Managed to be in Canaan Valley for the Jan. Blizzard!, Best Snow-CV, Worst snow-Timberline, worst Day-TL ungroomed Sunday after blizzard, & wid driven rain/ice pellets one day at Park City, Despite huge dumps in early season UTAH had marginal slushy conditions in early March due to poor snow in Feb, great coverage at Snowshoe in late Feb.

Pet Peeve: Wintergreen not having a true season pass (defined as usable every day open) and no super senior rates.

Kudos to CV Lodge for senior room rates (both week days and weekends) and Wisp, Snowshoe, Timberline, Canaan Valley, Massanutten and Bryce for true Super Senior low cost or free lift tickets!!!

See you next season on the slopes!!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

I only got out 3 days this year but The Colonel's worst day was my best day, and not just because my season was lacking. Kudos to Timberline for leaving things ungroomed after such a big storm (may or may not have been a conscious decision). Trees and bump runs all day blew my legs up!!

Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

David, I do not object to TL leaving some runs ungroomed after a big dump, rather I object to their not grooming any trails from the top other than the long green one!  Many intermediates were struggling and frustrated, especially the kids in ski school (not my observation, rather a comment from a children's instructor!  

Your comment bears out the problem, all runs were bump runs!  Even Twister!!!!mAnd according to TL management, it was a deliberate decision by the grooming managers!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

JimK - DCSki Columnist
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Got a few more days before I do the tally.

A buddy at Snowbird today, more snow than when The Colonel and I were out here in early March

This guy is about one week into at 25 day stay in the Alta Lodge.  Good timing for him.  I hope they give him part interest in the lodge after that length of stay:-)  He's a friend of MarzNC.

Fine skier and in my age range.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
April 1, 2016
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

23 days total: 14 at Timberline, 8 at Snowbasin, and 1 at Powder Mountain. 

Low point: I was at Timberline the day the lift fell. I was not on it but it was still quite a shock, especially hearing a firsthand account from JohnL the next day.

High points: Skiing Timberline the weekend it got Thunderdraft back on line. Great effort. My trip to UTAH was my best trip West ever. Weather and snow was very good in early February, and crowds were manageable. Being able to get on a plane at National and be in world-class ski country in 4 hours is priceless. 

April 1, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

JimK wrote:

A buddy at Snowbird today, more snow than when The Colonel and I were out here in early March

Jim, Get it while you can, I saw a forecast today, April 1, indicating a major rain event up to 11,000 altitude this weekend!!!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

AndyGene
April 1, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

5 days here.  3 days at Snowshoe and two days locally in Cincinnati.  What a crappy season.  I'm still hoping to get to A-Basin for a weekend next month.  That will hopefully be the high point.  The low point is also yet to be determined.  I'm guessing it will be Fred not selling Timberline, once again.  The real low point was the local ski hill only being open for 60 days.  We've had over a hundred in years past.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
April 1, 2016
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

Season is not over yet.  Killington, Okemo and Mt Snow are still open.  So far, however this is the tally.  And the distance from our new home.  49 days and counting

Mt. Sunapee (10 minutes from home):  37 days

Okemo:  (1 1/4 hour from home):  5 days

Killington (1 hour from home) 2 days

Ragged (35 mins):  2 days

Cannon (1 hour):  1 day

Wildcat (1.5 hours) 1 day

Bretton Woods (1.5 hours) 1 day

Crush
April 2, 2016 (edited April 2, 2016)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

JimK wrote:

This guy is about one week into at 25 day stay in the Alta Lodge.  Good timing for him.  I hope they give him part interest in the lodge after that length of stay:-)  He's a friend of MarzNC.

Fine skier and in my age range.

outstanding! good here too my gang arrived on Wed hey I text'd you we will be at Alta on Sunday - c u ?

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Crush: JimK and other Bears are at Alta today, Sat, 4/2.  They will be at Snowbird on Sun, 4/3.  I'm at Alta all weekend.

Tailgating at 4:00 in Wildcat parking lot on Sat.  More tailgaiting at Snowbird on Sun, at the parking area on the Bypass Road.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 2, 2016
3,246 posts

On the warm side this weekend.  Should be good spring skiing on the upper mountain though.  Didn't warm up until yesterday.

ParkCrewDrew
April 2, 2016
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

Oh this was may worst winter in years.   18 days with lift service.   8 walk up the hill days.  

14 - Seven Springs

2 - Ogelbay's ski hill

1 - Wisp

1 - Cannan Valley

Crush
April 2, 2016
1,271 posts

marzNC wrote:

Crush: JimK and other Bears are at Alta today, Sat, 4/2.  They will be at Snowbird on Sun, 4/3.  I'm at Alta all weekend.

Tailgating at 4:00 in Wildcat parking lot on Sat.  More tailgaiting at Snowbird on Sun, at the parking area on the Bypass Road.

talked to JohnL this morning - I think we will be at Alta tomorrow I'll keep you posed and message you my phone maybe we can make some turns! JohnL may drop in since he has a pass for both. Man - warm today!

April 2, 2016 (edited April 2, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

How warm?  It was 60 degrees at the Snowbird base on March 3!  Crazy weather all over the country this winter, you are talking warm in Little Cottonwood Canyon while those of us in Northern Virginia are seeing forecasts that call for low twenties three times this coming week!!!  NWS calling for some snow and winter like cold in the WV Alpps!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 3, 2016
3,246 posts

Temps didn't get too warm today.  According to the sign in Mineral Basin, it was 52 at the base and 42 at the summit around 2:30pm.  Good spring skiing all over and not really much in the way of slush except at the very bottom.  I wandered over there with my ski buddy.  Wanted to see the views from the new Summit building.  Pretty impressive.

April 3, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Yes indeed, a pretty impressive facility!  Wonder what it is like when winds exceed 60mph during a blizzard?  Probably can not get there then since I am pretty sure the tram would not be running!

chaga
April 4, 2016 (edited April 4, 2016)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

the season is only over when you stop skiing. OTW at Tline is still top to bottom and had a few inches of freshies yesterday.....

eggraid
April 4, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Nice, chaga!

19 days total for me:

14 at Snowshoe

4 at Telluride.

It wasn't a great season volume wise for me, as several of those SS days were only for an hour or two before we left town or when we got into town. It was a great season for my kids to continue developing, we can now as a family go anywhere at SS and ski together which is a blast. My son and I had a great last day skiing together at snowshoe, we spent the entire day skiing soft moguls on knot bumper. It was the first time either of us seekd moguls out for more than a single run a day. I wish Snowshoe would let half of lower Ballhooter bump up like they did a couple years ago, it was a great place for people to practice getting into bumps without being overwhelmed.

crgildart
April 7, 2016 (edited April 7, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Beech and Applachain weekend before Christmas

Beech and Sugar MLK weekend

Couple days hiking around the neighborhood when it snowed in Durham

Couple days at Blue Knob after President's Day

Beech and Applachian early March

One final day at Applachian end of March

I guess that's about 11.  Best part was my youngest daugher making the jump from the magic carpet to lift served, self sufficient skiing greens and moderate blues.  Had some fun with retro gear I scored , stuff I wanted when I was a kid but never got.. Olin Mark IV Comps, Hexel Split Tails, and The Ski TRS model.  Thrift Store gods cast many blessings my way in that regard this season.

therusty
April 7, 2016
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts

I didn't keep track officially, but about 90 days this season for me, all at Deer Valley. It's rough getting paid to ski.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
April 8, 2016
3,246 posts

Looks like I'll make 50.  23 at Massanutten, 2 at Blue Knob, and the Whitetail Demo Day.  Two trips out west finishing up with a two week late season trip for a total of 16 at Alta, 1 at Snowbird, 2 at Sun Valley (first time), and 4 at Aspen.  All the places out west were on the Mountain Collective Pass.

itdoesntmatter - DCSki Supporter 
April 10, 2016
Member since 01/17/2007 🔗
158 posts

Probably my least number of days in several years.

4 times at Whitetail

4 days at Copper Mountain

1 day at A-Basin, and it included skiing Pali.

Crush
April 14, 2016 (edited April 14, 2016)
1,271 posts

it ain't over yet ... Snowbird is open 'till June and this is a pic out my window today

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
April 15, 2016
2,337 posts

The season lasts a long time on the left coast, so my season is not over yet.  In early May I'll be going to Mt. Hood for an annual backcountry hut trip.  I've been going for 20 years and have many good friends in the group.  I plan to ski, cautiously.  If I should fall on the right shoulder it will be back to ground zero on recovery and rehab.  If reinjured, I can still hang out in the hut, drink, and tell lies, 3 other favorite actvities other than skiing and climbing.  Accomodations are luxurious, the hutmaster prepares gourmet meals and is a brilliant raconteur.  A staggering amount of fine adult beverages go up to the hut in the snowcat.

Further south, Mammoth has offered free skiing to all level 2&3 instructors for the remainder of their season, which is expected to run well into June.  So if all goes well at Hood, I'll be going to Mammoth later in May and June.  

April 15, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Denis, A reminder to ski easier terrain when protecting an injury vice trying to ski ultra cautiously on more difficult terrain.  Athletes playing with an injury frequently get hurt elsewhere or reinjured trying to protect against reinjury and using a totally different technique.  Enjoy, take care my fellow older friend!bHave fun, enjoy yourself!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
April 16, 2016 (edited April 17, 2016)
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

I'm enjoyng reading others' reports and reflections on the season as I get ready to mow my lawn for the first time.  I skied 23 days this time around, including two areas for the first time:

5 Snowshoe

5 Whitetail

1 each at: Liberty, Belleayre, Burke, Pico, Catamount, Wisp, Seven Springs

An early March trip to Quebec's Eastern Townships:

2 Bromont

1 each at Orford, Sutton, Owl's Head and Jay

Best part of the season:  Heck, being able to ski at all, given the poor winter and the fact that I'm not as young as I used to be.  

Thank you snowmakers, groomers and the management teams with the chutzpah to make skiing happen.  Thanks to health care professionals who help me keep going and to my wife for encouraging me.  Thanks to friends for getting out there with me.  Thanks to season pass deals.  Thanks to the barbecue sandwich at Snowshoe's Foxfire Grill and to the Thai chicken chili panini sandwich at Whitetail.  Thanks to snow falling when I'm skiing, to quiet weekdays on uncrowded runs, to frost-covered trees, to mountain vistas, to cubbies in base lodges, to crisp cool air at sunrise, and to that most magical time of the day, twilight, when the sun has set and the lights for night skiing begin to glow, casting pools of light onto the beckoning snow.

Woody

April 16, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Woody,

A "magical" article, thanks.

MorganB    aka The Colonel

JohnL
April 17, 2016
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Fat Lady aint sung on this season; five days @ ABasin to come.

Horrible year with EC conditions, foot issues and the flu, but still ~32 days. More days out West (17) and in New England (1) than in the Mid Atlantic. Glad the T-Line Awesome Pass is good for 2 more years. (Well, one year at minimum.)

tcichecki
May 3, 2016
Member since 04/4/2014 🔗
12 posts

I did 12 days total this year

2 - Timberline (Jan 2/3 - only one trail was open)
1 - Liberty 
2 - Timberline 
2 - Sugarbush, VT
1 - Liberty
3 - Timberline
1 - Liberty

Hoping to put in a lot more days out west next season

bob
June 13, 2016 (edited June 13, 2016)
755 posts

Alright, NOW I'm done.

Got in a few runs at A-Basin On Saturday. It started out as blue sky and about 40 degrees and got warm fast. Hung around long enough to take one ride up Black Muntain Express and four up Lenawee.

Season total: 72 days

A-Basin 2

Vail 2

Beaver Creek 2

Breckenridge 9

Keystone 60

The numbers don't add to 72 because seveal times I skied more than one area in a day.

Hope everybody has a great summer.

Oh, I'm done unless I decide to do Timberline, Oregon on Labor Day. :-)

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
June 18, 2016
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

bob wrote:

Now hold on, under international rules I think that would have to be listed as next season.  Kudo's for late season turns at A-basin

-----------

As for my season, by my standards it was a good one, can't remember it all but..

2 days Timberline, Oregon

2 Timberline, WV

3  Canaan, TL, Whitegrass, trippin  between them on the same days

3 Snowshoe

2 Beech

2 sugar

1 Appalachian

3 Loveland

2 Copper

1 Wolf Creek

1 Monarch

1 Monarch Pass

2 Berthoud Pass

1 White Pass

1 Crystal

1 Stevens Pass

It was pretty great

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 19, 2016
2,337 posts

Nice season.  Nice distribution.

bob
June 22, 2016 (edited June 22, 2016)
755 posts

kemperski wrote:

bob wrote:

Now hold on, under international rules I think that would have to be listed as next season.  Kudo's for late season turns at A-basin

-----------

The way I've always looked at it is "new snow=new season and old snow = old season." And the snow on Mt Hood on Labor Day will definitely be old snow. Alas the Basin closed the day after I skied it.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.