interrupt ur car washing & beach volleyball for following msg
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
May 30, 2016 (edited May 30, 2016)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Vince says today was the last day of skiing at Snowbird and it was a fun closing day, 5/30/16:

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
May 31, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

How many days this season?

bob
June 2, 2016 (edited June 2, 2016)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

What's REALLY important is what's still open ...

A-Basin is open 7 days a week thru June 5, and has announced that it will be open on June 10,11,12 (maybe longer, but they'll announce that later)

What suprising to me is that south facing Montezuma bowl is currently planned to be open til June 5.

I plan on June 11 being my last day of skiing this season.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
June 2, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

bob wrote:

A-Basin is open 7 days a week thru June 5, and has announced that it will be open on June 10,11,12 (maybe longer, but they'll announce that later)

What suprising to me is that south facing Montezuma bowl is currently planned to be open til June 5.

That's awesome.  June 11 will be my first day on the beach .... lol

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 2, 2016 (edited June 2, 2016)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

bob wrote:

What suprising to me is that south facing Montezuma bowl is currently planned to be open til June 5.p

Bob,

after the lifts close in Colorado there are easy backcountry options.

Loveland Pass: You park in a large dirt pullout by a big sweeping left curve on Hwy 6.  To verify that its the right spot, look for a small stream coming down the mountain on the other side of the road.  Then just stick out your thumb and hitch a ride to the top.  Dont forget your skis. :) get out at the top on the continental divide by the sign at 12,000 ft.  Hike or traverse out and find a line you like.  Do not go out as far as the huge overhanging, "idiots cornice".  Short of that, all lines funnel down into that small stream drainage and everything is under 30 degrees so it will not avalanche.  4-5 runs per morning are easy.  The locals are very kind giving rides.  They regard it as good Karma for when they are hitching rides.  

St. Marys Glacier:  there is a small sign for St. Marys glacier at an exit off I-70 westbound a few miles before the tunnel.  100 feet after the exit ramp turn left, and its a couple of miles to where you see cars parked on the left.  Do some googling to get the full picture and find out where to park safely.  The hike in is short and easy, a mile or so.  You can just walk up the snowfield or skin up.  Its a mild pitch that gets milder as you go up.  When it plateaus out you will probably have left the snow behind but the view is worth it.  This one is for weekdays.  Its too crowded on weekends.  Best in June or July.  By August it gets heavily sun cupped and dirty.

edited to add that neither of these is worth a destination trip IMHO.  I used to go to CO on business frequently and would take some leave on either end to do a little skiing.  Independence Pass, which I haven't done, is supposed to be worth a destination trip.  Its on the road between Leadville and Aspen and opens around July 1.

Norsk
June 2, 2016
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

I believe Aspen has announced that Ajax will be open for one final weekend June 5-6. Top to midstation skiing only, but still, pretty impressive.  Usually June lift-served skiing in CO is limited to A Basin and Loveland pretty much.

bob
June 4, 2016 (edited June 4, 2016)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Denis wrote:

Bob,

Thanks, Denis. I've done both St Mary's and Loveland Pass, neither recently, and I am familiar with the Loveland Pass Hwy 6. pickup points as I cross Loveland Pass when I'm going to Keystone or A-Basin direct from Denver.

The onlty reason I Plan on skiing June 11 is that I have to be in Breck for a condo board meetin on the 12th. I was really burned out on skiing at the end of the real season in April. I  still felt burned ouit when I was in town in mid May, so I skipped my chance at a May day. Hopefuilly after 7 weeks off snow, I won't still feel burned out. We shall see.

I am ready for the season to end.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 4, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

bob wrote:

Denis wrote:

Bob,

Thanks, Denis. I've done both St Mary's and Loveland Pass, neither recently, and I am familiar with the Loveland Pass Hwy 6. pickup points as I cross Loveland Pass when I'm going to Keystone or A-Basin direct from Denver.

The onlty reason I Plan on skiing June 11 is that I have to be in Breck for a condo board meetin on the 12th. I was really burned out on skiing at the end of the real season in April. I  still felt burned ouit when I was in town in mid May, so I skipped my chance at a May day. Hopefuilly after 7 weeks off snow, I won't still feel burned out. We shall see.

I am ready for the season to end.

...Too much of a good thing can...

MorganB

aka The Colonel

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?