Recent flooding in WV
15 posts
11 users
2k+ views
eggraid
June 27, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Does anyone have any reports about the devastating flooding in WV last week? About the ski resorts, or the areas/roads to get to them specifically? What a tragedy that so many people died.

Norsk
June 27, 2016
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Believe it was pretty far from the ski areas, but obviously still awful.

SCWVA
June 28, 2016
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Elk River Touring Center was hit hard by the flooding.  ERTC is located on Rt 219 in the Slatyfork, which is at the base of Snowshoe Mtn.   ERTC offers lodging, restaurant, XC skiing, mtn. biking, fishing, and a has snowboard shop.  I've stayed in there in the winter on a number of occasions, but this was back when I was drinking Snowshoe's Koolaid. :)  They also use to hold the WV Mountain Bike Festival at ERTC as well.   Great place with great people, but the bridge that provides access to ERTC from Rt. 219 was washed away by last week's rain. A GoFundMe account was set up to help ERTC rebuild their bridge.

https://www.gofundme.com/ERTCbridgerebuild

jimmy
June 28, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

This facebook post is from Friday June 24.

It's clear to me that there are still people that don't grasp the magnitude of what we have experienced on the West end of Greenbrier County. I am receiving messages from people and being approached by people who may not get it. Last evening my husband had probably the most traumatic and devastating time in his entire career with the state police. He tied a rope to himself and literally had to swim out in rushing water to try to save people. There were some that he could see and hear but could not get to them to save them. He literally watched people be swept away. He recounted that story to me today with tears in his eyes as he said, "I just couldn't save them all." It was reported to me late last nigh that bodies were floating in the streets of Rainelle. This morning when it was chaos at the Rupert Fire station and I asked what I could do to help, I never imagined they would say, "can you find us a place to store bodies?" Let that sink in. Children were missing parents today, parents were also missing children. One lady escaped her flooding home and slept in her car with two infants and when rescued today, she did not even have shoes. Children were being loaded onto the national guard trucks with people saying, "we don't know who these children belong to." There are still people stranded in homes awaiting rescue. People have been without food or water for over 24 hours now. Many are displaced without important medications. Some have lost everything and have yet to even find their loved ones. But our little communities have come together like no other. Police officers and fireman have been working tirelessly for 36
Hours straight. We are feeding the hungry, clothing those that we can, checking on each other and helping as best we can. 
This is not about a delayed golf game. It's not about the loss of cars or trucks. It's not even about the homes or buildings anymore. It's about the people! The human beings. Who can we save and how can we care for them?! Let's survive this and help as many as we can. Let's be strong and carry on. That's what WV does. That's who we are. We are survivors and we are strong. We will carry on and we will carry each other. ”ª#”ŽWVStrong”¬ ”ª#”ŽTogetherWeSurvive”¬
”ª#”ŽPray4GBC”¬

crgildart
June 28, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

WOW, It's another Katrina Disaster :-(

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 28, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Elk River Touring Center was hit hard by the flooding.  ERTC is located on Rt 219 in the Slatyfork, which is at the base of Snowshoe Mtn.   ERTC offers lodging, restaurant, XC skiing, mtn. biking, fishing, and a has snowboard shop.  I've stayed in there in the winter on a number of occasions, but this was back when I was drinking Snowshoe's Koolaid. :)  They also use to hold the WV Mountain Bike Festival at ERTC as well.   Great place with great people, but the bridge that provides access to ERTC from Rt. 219 was washed away by last week's rain. A GoFundMe account was set up to help ERTC rebuild their bridge.

https://www.gofundme.com/ERTCbridgerebuild

The rebuilding is going to start immediately.  Total cost $65,000.  There is a video showing the rushing waters.  

"With the bridge totally washed out, and the center pillar (estimated at 35 tons!) moved over 6 feet  by the force of the flood waters (see attached video!), the entire 65' span of the bridge has to be reconstructed from 219 to the island. Work will be starting immediately, and your assistance will be greatly appreciated!

We have also started a Facebook page for this project, so you can follow the progress and see/share past images of the old bridge!  https://www.facebook.com/ERTCbridgerebuild/"

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
June 28, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

That whole area is sadly subject to periodic flooding, and this one was terrible.  On the Rred Cross web site you can choose to target donations at WV flooding, which I have done. 

crgildart
June 28, 2016 (edited June 28, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I've hardly heard anything about this on the local or national news.  If a tornado kills 25 people in some town nobody has ever heard of it's HUGE news with days of continual coverage.  24+ people killed in the WV floods and maybe a 30 second spot a couple days ago???

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 29, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

pagamony wrote:

That whole area is sadly subject to periodic flooding, and this one was terrible.  On the Rred Cross web site you can choose to target donations at WV flooding, which I have done. 

I donated.  Hope others will too.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
June 29, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Denis wrote:

pagamony wrote:

I donated.  Hope others will too.

Thanks for posting that one can target donations.  I chipped in.  For those that may want to help, here's a link to the site then choose WV floods in the drop down box.

If you want to see some info and pics, just search #wvstrong on twitter / facebook / instagram ...... it's a damn shame what happened to those folks.

eggraid
June 29, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

crgildart wrote:

I've hardly heard anything about this on the local or national news.  If a tornado kills 25 people in some town nobody has ever heard of it's HUGE news with days of continual coverage.  24+ people killed in the WV floods and maybe a 30 second spot a couple days ago???

I can't believe the tiny bit of coverage it's gotten either. With the attack in Turkey, forget about any additional coverage, too. 

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
June 29, 2016 (edited June 29, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

I gave via The United Way Of Greenbrier Valley. Wonderful to see that Snowshoe made a substantial contribution.

MorganB

aka The Colonel

rbrtlav
June 29, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Snowshoe is collecting can goods as well as donations for the Red Cross...depot and allegany springs are accepting canned good donations or online for financial support. Looks like the resort is donating 10k

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 30, 2016
3,246 posts

The Colonel wrote:

I gave via The United Way Of Greenbrier Valley. Wonderful to see that Snowshoe made a substantial contribution.

MorganB

aka The Colonel

They are using their Facebook page for updates.

https://www.facebook.com/UnitedWayGreenbrier/?fref=nf

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 5, 2016
3,246 posts

Rebuilding for the ERTC bridge has begun!  Good news is that the price tag came down to $35,000.  They are using local contractors and materials as much as possible.  Pictures on the FB page.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?