One Summer Story
10 posts
7 users
2k+ views
ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
July 18, 2016
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts

Had a moment of winter stoke in the middle of July last night. Went to Wolf Trap concert venue wearing an Alta T-shirt. After the opening band, while they set up for the main show, several people come up and talked to me about their love for the place. Traded stories, talked about great times skiing (while standing in the heat), and met some interesting people and dedicated skiers. It really sparked a lot of conversations and it was a lot of fun talking about our mutual passion for the sport. My favorite moment was when a woman came up and said she had taken a pic of my shirt and texted it to her brother, who lives at the base of Little Cottonwood Canyon. While I was talking with her, he texted back and said "Buy that man a beer!" So she did! Thanked her and enjoyed a fantastic show. I've got a lot of old skiing T-shirts in the closet but that's the first time I've met so many fellow skiers just because I was wearing one. The spirit lives, even when the temps are flirting with triple digits. Next show I may dig out a Snowbird shirt and see what happens.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 18, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Ridenski, you da man!  I was there at Wolftrap too.  One of the best concerts I have ever seen at Wolftrap.  I had an EpicSki ballcap on, but left it in my car at the last minute before walking up to the venue.

Here's my little concert synopsis:  Last night, 7/17/16, I saw the Tedeschi Trucks Band at Wolftrap.  I love me some good electric guitar music and after following Derek Trucks on youtube for 10-15 years I finally got to see him in the flesh... a world class talent, a real powerhouse when he lays into a long solo. I have attended quite a few live concerts in recent years, but me being a geezer, it's often for "oldies" bands. This group was different, left my wife and I with a dang good ringing in our ears for the rest of the night from serious high energy rock and roll.  We were in the front row of the upper balcony. We both enjoyed seeing a group most definitely in ascendancy. Susan Tedeschi can belt 'em out with the best of 'em and after one particular raucus tune I screamed to my wife, "these guys are singing and playing their a$$es off!  I don't know if this group will ever have breakthrough nationwide hit tunes, but they are great in somewhat the jam-band tradition. 
There were three bands on the bill, North Mississippi Allstars, Los Lobos, and Tedeschi Trucks Band appearing in that order, but there were several sit-ins throughout the night as the bands intermingled. I had never seen Los Lobos and really enjoyed them too. They are a veteran LA rock band with heavy Mexican influences in their music. I knew it was going to be a great concert when members of all three bands combined for the last song in the Los Lobos set, a smoking hot jam called Mas y Mas. The full Tedeschi Trucks Band had yet to take the stage.

Later David Hildago of Los Lobos joined Tedeschi Trucks for the old Allman Bros tune Don't Keep Me Wondering. I saw the original Allman Bros in concert around 1973 and possibly heard them play this tune then I found a video of the same performance of this tune I saw last night here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaKhpIhJffQ

Set lists and more videos from last night: http://www.jambase.com/article/tedes...-trap-virginia

Crush
July 19, 2016
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

damnit - all this time i should have been using that as a lead-in for a pickup line when i was in DC - now where is my "keep alta weird" shirt ....

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
July 19, 2016 (edited July 19, 2016)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Make me an Angel...

Tedeschi Trucks does my favorite version of one of my favorite songs.  That was a good bill all over.  Generally I like jam bands.

I wear my nearly completely worn out Abasin logo shirt and never get any remarks.  *sigh*

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
July 21, 2016
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Did somebody say jam band? Last week I went to see the original jam band, Dead and Company. John Mayer is playing lead and singing Jerry's songs. I've followed the dead since 1967 or so and Mayer might not be Jerry but he seems to have infused a great deal of energy into the group. I've not seen or heard Bobby sing like he did that night for many a decade. The last few years with Jerry will always be cherished but you could see how his failing health and mental state was affecting the band.They opened the two set night with Hell in a Bucket and ripped the deadheads heads right off. It set the tempo and the crowd was up and moving the rest of the night with 90% of the audience singing all the lyrics. The band was built around a strong lead and Mayer soared but Bobby seemed to control the pace. It is a great new segment of that long strange trip that began 50 years ago. If you ever liked the Dead and wondered if the magic would ever return after Jerry's passing check them out now. The extended family seems to have welcomed Mayer with open ears and dancing feet. The journey continues Further.

David
July 21, 2016 (edited July 21, 2016)
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Did somebody say jam band? Last week I went to see the original jam band, Dead and Company. John Mayer is playing lead and singing Jerry's songs. I've followed the dead since 1967 or so and Mayer might not be Jerry but he seems to have infused a great deal of energy into the group. I've not seen or heard Bobby sing like he did that night for many a decade. The last few years with Jerry will always be cherished but you could see how his failing health and mental state was affecting the band.They opened the two set night with Hell in a Bucket and ripped the deadheads heads right off. It set the tempo and the crowd was up and moving the rest of the night with 90% of the audience singing all the lyrics. The band was built around a strong lead and Mayer soared but Bobby seemed to control the pace. It is a great new segment of that long strange trip that began 50 years ago. If you ever liked the Dead and wondered if the magic would ever return after Jerry's passing check them out now. The extended family seems to have welcomed Mayer with open ears and dancing feet. The journey continues Further.

Saw them in Cbus last November and loved them. I live streamed a night of Fare Thee Well last year and although I love Trey (Phish is my favorite jam band), I didn't feel like he really fit with the group. The energy that they have going on right now is amazing and it sounds like they may be doing this for more than just a few short tours, which is awesome. And not to mention, Oteil is one of my favorite bass players!!

Oh yeah, missed the Pittsburgh show because I was on vacation. Was very sad about that. 

JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 21, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

That's great to hear about the Mayer-Dead reinvigoration.  That sort of thing happened to the Allman Bros because of an infusion of young (relatively) blood from Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks about 15-20 years ago  Those two guitarists helped the Allman Bros make great music for most of the 2000s, but apparently Gregg Allman's health is so fragile now he can't do heavy touring anymore, so the Allman Bros are on indefinite, maybe permanent, hiatus since about Oct 2014.

Something I like about Tedeschi Trucks Band is the family thing they have going on.  Susan and Derek have been married since 2001 and have two children in the junior high age range.  They are in this for the love of music, rather than rock star status and excess.  Here is a collection of solid quotes from Derek about marriage and family priorities.

{Trucks feels that the family that plays together will stay together. "I've been on the road with this generation of rock bands from the late '60s and early '70s," he explains. "It really hit me that there are a lot of broken families from that era and, that if I ever had kids, that wasn't gonna be the way it was gonna go down.

"It’s still a travelling rock band,” laughs Trucks.  “It’s not a church choir riding down the road, but everything in moderation. It’s not like it was 20 or 30 years ago for rock bands.”

"Susan and I have that mind-set. If you say you can only work a week and a half without being home, it doesn't matter what offer shows up in that time off, it's a no. Sometimes it's a tough decision, but in the end there's only so many Little League games, and once you miss 'em, they're gone. Your kids remember that stuff."

Who, then, is the leader of the Tedeschi Trucks Band ”“ Trucks, or his wife?

“I always say that she’s the star of the show, but I’m kind of steering the ship. Somebody’s got to do it. And I think for her, it’s really a relief to not have to do that. Especially with a band this big (12 piece), it’s a lot to think about and a lot to do. I enjoy that part of the work.”

And he certainly enjoys the result ”“ being on the road with family, same as always, but better.

“This is the best band I’ve ever been in, and the best situation I’ve ever been in, as far as personalities and vibe on the road. It really is a special situation. I think everybody that’s a part of it feels really fortunate to be doing it.”}

July 21, 2016
2,038 posts

JimK wrote:

That's great to hear about the Mayer-Dead reinvigoration.  That sort of thing happened to the Allman Bros because of an infusion of young (relatively) blood from Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks about 15-20 years ago  Those two guitarists helped the Allman Bros make great music for most of the 2000s, but apparently Gregg Allman's health is so fragile now he can't do heavy touring anymore, so the Allman Bros are on indefinite, maybe permanent, hiatus since about Oct 2014.

Something I like about Tedeschi Trucks Band is the family thing they have going on.  Susan and Derek have been married since 2001 and have two children in the junior high age range.  They are in this for the love of music, rather than rock star status and excess.  Here is a collection of solid quotes from Derek about marriage and family priorities.

{Trucks feels that the family that plays together will stay together. "I've been on the road with this generation of rock bands from the late '60s and early '70s," he explains. "It really hit me that there are a lot of broken families from that era and, that if I ever had kids, that wasn't gonna be the way it was gonna go down.

"It’s still a travelling rock band,” laughs Trucks.  “It’s not a church choir riding down the road, but everything in moderation. It’s not like it was 20 or 30 years ago for rock bands.”

"Susan and I have that mind-set. If you say you can only work a week and a half without being home, it doesn't matter what offer shows up in that time off, it's a no. Sometimes it's a tough decision, but in the end there's only so many Little League games, and once you miss 'em, they're gone. Your kids remember that stuff."

Who, then, is the leader of the Tedeschi Trucks Band ”“ Trucks, or his wife?

“I always say that she’s the star of the show, but I’m kind of steering the ship. Somebody’s got to do it. And I think for her, it’s really a relief to not have to do that. Especially with a band this big (12 piece), it’s a lot to think about and a lot to do. I enjoy that part of the work.”

And he certainly enjoys the result ”“ being on the road with family, same as always, but better.

“This is the best band I’ve ever been in, and the best situation I’ve ever been in, as far as personalities and vibe on the road. It really is a special situation. I think everybody that’s a part of it feels really fortunate to be doing it.”}

That is a great sentiment. I listened to a lot of Allman Bros. when Derek was with them and followed Susan early. I've only heard them on that old fashion medium called radio and television. They really cook. 

July 21, 2016
2,038 posts

David wrote:

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

Saw them in Cbus last November and loved them. I live streamed a night of Fare Thee Well last year and although I love Trey (Phish is my favorite jam band), I didn't feel like he really fit with the group. The energy that they have going on right now is amazing and it sounds like they may be doing this for more than just a few short tours, which is awesome. And not to mention, Oteil is one of my favorite bass players!!

Oh yeah, missed the Pittsburgh show because I was on vacation. Was very sad about that. 

David, I wasn't sure what to expect from the kind crowd but the venue was full and the vibe was right. If Dick Clark asked me I'd have to give it a 10. It has a nice melody and you can dance to it. How's that for a boomer reference? Bonus points for naming the show and the city it was broadcast from.

yellowsnow
July 22, 2016
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

"It has a nice beat and it's easy to dance to....I give it an eighty-five".
--- Dick Clark's American Bandstand, Philadelphia, PA

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?