Where do I want to be renting at Deep Creek?
6 posts
5 users
3k+ views
DrSandy420
July 26, 2016
Member since 11/13/2015 🔗
22 posts

I've never been to Deep Creek or Wisp before, so I'm looking for some insider knowledge on the area's geography and good rental spots. 

This actually isn't ski-related, but for a fall weekend I'm planning with a group of friends. We're looking to rent a big cabin/mountain house somewhere. 

First priority: It must be centrally located to the area's amenities, as opposed to off the beaten track. Near the lake itself would be ideal. (I have no idea whether it matters if we're near the ski hills during the off-season?)

If anyone has recommendations for specific areas (i.e. names of neighborhoods) I should be looking at, or rental companies to consider, I'd love to hear from you.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
July 26, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I've used these these guys in the past for some summer and fall trips.  They seem to have a big inventory of rentals.

http://rentals.deepcreek.com/#

crgildart
July 26, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Be sure it comes with a paddle!

DrSandy420
July 26, 2016 (edited July 26, 2016)
Member since 11/13/2015 🔗
22 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. But any recommendations for specific areas? Like if I'm looking on a map could I say "I want to be in somewhere in those areas, and not that one?"

Again, my group's priority is convenience. It'd be great to be able to walk to a couple destinations, whether nature-based or otherwise, and to not have to drive miles and miles for any activity.

It's always hard to sort these things out just looking at a map without any personal experience in the area.

David
July 26, 2016
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Not a lot of experience with specifics in the area but if you're close to or on the lake then you're a close car drive to all that is in Deep Creek. 

skinavy
July 27, 2016
Member since 02/24/2015 🔗
78 posts

You're not easily walking anywhere- the houses are typically squirreled away and scattered up the hills/around the lake.  Definitely a place to go more to be with your group and enjoy the lake itself or do group outings, rather than to go out locally for any type of scene. 

There's a very small "downtown" - IIRC, "Honi-Honi," a movie theater, and Pizza Uno's is about it, by the Glendale bridge middle-West side of the lake. The State Park is directly acrosss the bridge, and Wisp is on the Northern end.  You're also only a few miles from Swallow Falls to the West.

I've had good experiences with Railey Mountain rentals.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.