Night at Nationals Park 8/25/16
6 posts
4 users
2k+ views
JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 26, 2016 (edited August 26, 2016)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

I had a great visit to Nationals Park last night.  Naturally, the Nats beat the Orioles 4-0 and Max Scherzer pitched eight outstanding innnings.  There was a near sell-out crowd with lots of Orioles fans and I read that Scherzer used the loud renditions of Lets Go Os! to motivate himself during the game.  (For the record Os won series.)

From where I work and park my car it is a short bike ride over the Frederick Douglass bridge.  The Anacostia Waterfront has changed so much since I was a kid.  It's unbelievable.  Stadium is at left.

I got my ticket and then had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in the revitalized riverfront area beside the ballpark:

I had a fellow fan take this picture .  I was at the Navy Yard in 2013 on the sad day commemorated here.  13 lives were lost in a mass shooting incident.  The Washington Navy Yard and Nationals Park are less than a mile apart.

To my utter astonishment Budweiser was giving out free beer at a promo booth before the game and they didn't seem to have any issue with multiple samplings.  I figure I had about $25 worth at ball park prices.  This is like giving out free snowcones to skiers!

As if free beer wasn't enough, if you get to the park early you can often buy $5 tickets for ozone layer seats at Nats games.  I should have brought my wife.  This is what I call a cheap date.

From the heights of the stadium you can see all over town, although so many new bldgs are going in that might not last much longer.  Mural depicts Dusty Baker and Daniel Murphy btw.

This violinist was from the NSO and played a rocking version of the National Anthem on the "electric slugger".

Later I moved down closer to the field.  There was a great, tense crowd and the Nats led only 1-0 for much of the game on a Jayson Werth home run in the 4th inning.

The Nats finally blew the game open in the bottom of the 8th.  Werth at bat and Murphy on deck, figured in the scoring.

After the game I rode back to my car and went home.  Same view from Douglass Bridge.  Hey, different boat at the dock?  Maybe the big one went on a dinner/dance cruise down the Potomac??

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
August 26, 2016
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

How about an O's vs Nats World Series ?

I do alot of work in the area and I am amazed how much the area has changed in the last 5 years. A sea of construction claims.

crgildart
August 26, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

You said "from where I work".. I thought you were retired Jim.  ???

crgildart
August 26, 2016
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

LOL@ the Bob Euker "Great seats eh buddy" seats..  "HE MISSED THE TAG!!!!!!"  Just kidding, the seats I used to get at Mets game weren't that much better hahahaha.. $5 = WIN either way and bike means not paying for parking either!

Crush
August 26, 2016 (edited August 26, 2016)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

Ah! So that is what you were doing there! Crazy we were in DC Aug 10-12 and 21-23 sorry we just mised you. The vessel in the first pic of Diamond Teague Park is definiotly the National Elite. The night time photo is tought but I think that is the smaller Capital  Elite ... past both of them on one or two whistles many times back in the day ... both run by Entertainment Cruises.

When you text'd we were doing this in PC

JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 28, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

Crush, is that where we fueled up your boat?

Crgildart, I am working part time for the USAF now.  Sort of one foot in the game and one foot out:-)

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?