Resort Swap for 2016-17? (SS, 7S, HV, BK + Wisp)
31 posts
9 users
6k+ views
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
September 8, 2016
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

A sure sign of the approaching ski season is the urge to double-check ticket discount options to make sure to get the most fun at the lowest costs.

So....

Is the Resort Swap program in effect for the 2016-17 season?  It has applied to Wisp, Hidden Valley, Seven Springs, Blue Knob, and Snowshoe; a season's pass at one of these areas entitles the bearer to one free ticket to each of the others and then a discount after the free ticket IIRC.  As an area hopper, I've latched onto Resort Swap (and Mountains of Distinction) in past years.

I can't find resort swap mentioned on the Snowshoe or Blue Knob websites, but Seven Springs provides the full blurb:  http://www.7springs.com/ski-and-ride/season-passes/passholder-offers/resort-swap/

Does anyone know the full details re. reciprocity?  I would a s s u m e that resort swap is happening, but it's troubling not to see the details posted on the website for SS, where I have a 2016-17 pass.

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 8, 2016
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

The 7Springs blurb is from 2015-16.

Usually the Mid-Atlantic websites don't get updated until mid-Sept or even not until Oct.

September 8, 2016
778 posts

marzNC wrote:

The 7Springs blurb is from 2015-16.

Usually the Mid-Atlantic websites don't get updated until mid-Sept or even not until Oct.

Thanks marzNC.  I missed the date on the 7S site.

In regard to updating, the ski areas are quite willing to accept our season's pass money in the summer or even earlier, but the details about benefits aren't updated until October.  Hmm....

Woody

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 8, 2016
3,246 posts

Yeah, in the spring (March-April) there are still a few winter sports people around to answer questions related to season passes.  Finding out info during the summer is another story.

Looks like the Massanutten website was partially updated for 2016-17.  But still a reference to last season.  Doubt many people will notice.

Had heard that even for big destination resorts, people who have questions during the summer can have trouble getting them answered.  Usually related to ski school options.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
rbrtlav
September 13, 2016 (edited September 13, 2016)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Snowshoe seems to have removed the "Resort Swap" from their page. At the ridiculous pass price I'm not too upset as I will get more than what I paid out of it.

That being said I was hoping to hit the 7 Springs trio of resorts on my resort swap this winter...

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
September 14, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Snowshoe seems to have removed the "Resort Swap" from their page. At the ridiculous pass price I'm not too upset as I will get more than what I paid out of it.

That was / is a great perk for those of us that live a short drive from 7S, HV, etc ...

We have an HOA meeting on Sat and if someone from SS is there, I'll ask.  That said, I asked about the MAX Pass addon at our March meeting and they still have not clarified that after 6 months.  Seems like they run on 2 speeds - slow and slower.

I'm beginning to believe they tell us what we want to hear at these meetings just to get the hell out of there then it get erased from the memory banks.  

Bonzski
September 14, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

That was / is a great perk for those of us that live a short drive from 7S, HV, etc ...

We have an HOA meeting on Sat and if someone from SS is there, I'll ask.  That said, I asked about the MAX Pass addon at our March meeting and they still have not clarified that after 6 months.  Seems like they run on 2 speeds - slow and slower.

I'm beginning to believe they tell us what we want to hear at these meetings just to get the hell out of there then it get erased from the memory banks.  

It's early, maybe they haven't worked out the terms yet.

September 14, 2016
778 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

Understood about the timing, but, to me, that doesn't let them off the hook.

If a ski area can set its season pass rates by March or May, they should finalize the pass benefits, too.  Apparently, they choose not to make this a priority; they could do so if ski area management offices were interested in making the effort.  As a result, we buy a season's pass w/o knowing exactly what the benefits are.  I don't buy anything else under those terms.

Woody

Bonzski
September 14, 2016
652 posts

bousquet19 wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

rbrtlav wrote:

Understood about the timing, but, to me, that doesn't let them off the hook.

If a ski area can set its season pass rates by March or May, they should finalize the pass benefits, too.  Apparently, they choose not to make this a priority; they could do so if ski area management offices were interested in making the effort.  As a result, we buy a season's pass w/o knowing exactly what the benefits are.  I don't buy anything else under those terms.

Woody

I wasn't defending resorts' actions (or lack thereof)...just offering Jim a glimmer of hope.  Personaly I feel you shouldn't expect much from a season pass for less than $300.

September 14, 2016
1,580 posts

Bonzski wrote:

I wasn't defending resorts' actions (or lack thereof)...just offering Jim a glimmer of hope.  Personaly I feel you shouldn't expect much from a season pass for less than $300.

Heck - I was hoping they were going to add Laurel Mtn to the mix and make the deal even sweeter.  

Tom, maybe we should shake down some SS mgmt folks this weekend. You with me?  LOL

Bonzski
September 14, 2016
652 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

Heck - I was hoping they were going to add Laurel Mtn to the mix and make the deal even sweeter.  

Tom, maybe we should shake down some SS mgmt folks this weekend. You with me?  LOL

You bet, maybe I should poach your HOA mtg LOL.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 15, 2016
3,246 posts

7Springs has their 2016-17 season pass info up.  Includes the new 3-area Highlands pass (7Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel).

The date on the Resort Swap webpage still says 2015-16 but may that's an oversight?

http://www.7springs.com/ski-and-ride/season-passes/passholder-offers/resort-swap/

SCWVA
September 21, 2016
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

The Dilly in Chantilly is this weekend

Driftland Ski & Sport in Davis, WV is having a ski swap this weekend as well.

nugarp
September 23, 2016
Member since 05/13/2016 🔗
8 posts

Hey everyone,

I just called Snowshoe's season pass office and was told that the resort swap was discontinued as far as they were aware; surprising to see it in the list for 7S.

Sad news (or hopefully they were misinformed)!

September 24, 2016
778 posts

nugarp wrote:

Hey everyone,

I just called Snowshoe's season pass office and was told that the resort swap was discontinued as far as they were aware; surprising to see it in the list for 7S.

Bummer.  Another nice benefit to us Mid-A skiers comes to an end.  RIP Resort Swap.  :(

Woody

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 24, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Might depend on which resort dropped out, or it might just be confusion.  What say you, Snowshoe Management?!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
September 24, 2016 (edited September 24, 2016)
3,246 posts

nugarp wrote:

Hey everyone,

Just checked again the the 7Spring Resort Swap fine print is still from 2015-16.  I think the MAX Pass is having an impact on the former partnerships with SS.

The MAX Pass now covers 32 places, including some more popular with advanced skiers like Big Sky and Crested Butte.

Crested Butte also has a deal with 7Springs that's listed on the Mountains of Distinction webpage.

rbrtlav
September 24, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I doubt Snowshoe dropped out. They probably gained the most from this, I think 7 Springs lost the most especially now that they have 3 resorts that are very day trippable for most of the people that would take advantage of this. I have a $200 snowshoe pass I could redeem for over $200 of tickets at the 3 resorts, yes I would buy food from 7 spings, but I would either day trip or stay in a non-7 Springs property and with 3 resorts I probably would not buy a lift ticket from them at all this season and still ski all 3 resorts.

Wheras, a 7 Springs passholder that drives out to snowshoe is likely going to buy a second or third day lift ticket and lodging and more food. 

That being said 7 Springs probably lost the $80 or so I would have spent on food there this year if this is really over, with a Snowtime pass and Snowshoe pass the resort swap is really the only reason I would go there.

The Colonel wrote:

Might depend on which resort dropped out, or it might just be confusion.  What say you, Snowshoe Management?!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

September 25, 2016
1,580 posts

Bummer if it's over.  

Like RB said, our SS pass was good for over 200 bucks of tix at 7S, HV, BK and Wisp.  We always did a day trip and spent a good $20 each on lunch.  We also encouraged a friend or 2 to tag along and they paid for their tickets.

7S is too crowded and HV is too small to justify 60 - 80 beans on a lift ticket. 

Looking forward to trying LM.  Perhaps that will become our new day trip resort.

nugarp
September 27, 2016
8 posts

Snowshoe revamped their winter site and there seems to very deliberately be no indication of a resort swap any more. Bummer, as this would've been my first year w/the season pass, but I can't complain for getting it at $219...

September 28, 2016
778 posts

The full message I received by email from Ronda Grogg of Snowshoen today (September 28, 2016) in response to my inquiry about resort swap for 2016-17:

Regional Resort Swap - it was decided not to offer this for this season. This is from our core information page.

nugarp
December 8, 2016 (edited December 8, 2016)
8 posts

From the Snowshoe website:

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/tickets-and-passes/winter-season-passes/unlimited-pass

Resort Swap

Through the Resort Swap partnership, Snowshoe Unlimited Season Pass holders are provided one free full day lift ticket at other participating resorts and 50% off any additional lift tickets at those resorts. Just present your 2016.2017 season pass at the Depot in the Village, and they'll hook you up with your ticket to any of these awesome mountains:

Seven Springs (PA)
Wisp Resort (MD)
Hidden Valley (PA)
Laurel Mountain (PA)

So it looks like we'll get it. I assume this includes the ridic. pass right? Because it's only not listed for college & military passes.

Also, notice the absence of a no-saturdays restriction this year. The 7 Springs website seems to also not mention Saturdays as blackout days, which means we might actually be able to visit these other places and stay the night.

778 posts

nugarp wrote:

From the Snowshoe website:

https://www.snowshoemtn.com/plan-your-trip/tickets-and-passes/winter-season-passes/unlimited-pass

Resort Swap

Through the Resort Swap partnership, Snowshoe Unlimited Season Pass holders are provided one free full day lift ticket at other participating resorts and 50% off any additional lift tickets at those resorts. Just present your 2016.2017 season pass at the Depot in the Village, and they'll hook you up with your ticket to any of these awesome mountains:

Seven Springs (PA)
Wisp Resort (MD)
Hidden Valley (PA)
Laurel Mountain (PA)

So it looks like we'll get it. I assume this includes the ridic. pass right? Because it's only not listed for college & military passes.

Also, notice the absence of a no-saturdays restriction this year. The 7 Springs website seems to also not mention Saturdays as blackout days, which means we might actually be able to visit these other places and stay the night.

Thanks for the great news, nugarp!  Since other resorts are allowing their midweek passholders to have this benefit (but not on weekends), I assume that Snowshoe would include the Ridiculous Pass in this program.  I'm checking and will report what I learn.

Seven Springs, however, does include a restriction for Satiurdays and holidays.  Here it is from their website today (December 8):

Unlimited season passholders at Seven Springs will each receive one complimentary full day ski and snowboard lift ticket and a 50% discount on regularly priced ski and snowboard lift tickets for any additional visit to either Hidden Valley, Laurel Mountain, Wisp Resort or Snowshoe Mountain Resort, excluding Saturdays and holiday periods.

Woody

(edited for typo)

nugarp
8 posts

Whoops. Not sure how I missed that. I ctrl+f'd for "Saturday" earlier. Maybe I had typed it wrong. I definitely didn't see it on the snowshoe page, but I am assuming that's because the page was probably updated recently and not edited well enough.

Given that Snowshoe advertised resort swap while selling its ridiculous passes, I imagine they'll be included just fine. Curious about Saturdays...

Thanks for checking!

1,580 posts

Great news.  Sitting here at SS now and it cold as a well diggers rear end in Alaska.  

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 8, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

And it looks like you are getting lake effect snow!!

December 10, 2016
778 posts

Just got the confirmation from Snowshoe via Facebook about holders of the 2016-17 Ridiculous Pass and eligibiity for the Resort Swap program with Laurel, 7S, HV and Wisp:

Hi Woody, Ridiculous Passes are definitely eligible for our Regional Resort Swap!

Great news!

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2016
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Too bad Blue Knob is not in the program this year.

nugarp
December 10, 2016 (edited December 10, 2016)
8 posts

Thanks Woody!

Anyone have word on Saturdays? I also sent them a message over facebook...let's see if/when we hear back.

December 10, 2016
1,580 posts

nugarp wrote:

Thanks Woody!

Anyone have word on Saturdays? I also sent them a message over facebook...let's see if/when we hear back.

Historically, Saturdays have been excluded. 

nugarp
December 11, 2016 (edited December 11, 2016)
8 posts

Yep. Excludes Saturdays and holiday periods.

I gave them a call. They said they did actually take the program away but got a ton of complaints so they reinstated it. 

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?