Done
11 posts
9 users
3k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 13, 2016
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Rotator cuff surgery, 3 days ago.  Now it's wait and rehab.  I'll be in an industrial strength sling for a month.  No skiing for 6 months. My hope is for a big snow season that will last into late spring.  Meanwhile, make some turns for me.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2016
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

So sorry to hear of your problems. Heal well and fast, Denis

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 14, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Denis,

Oh no!  Wishing you a fast and complete healing! my DCSki friend!  Follow Doctor's orders, don't over rush the process.  Remember, we seniors heal a bit slower than the young whipper-snappers!  AND do remember to continue posting here in DCSki!

MorganB

bob
November 15, 2016 (edited November 15, 2016)
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

Sorry to hear about the surgery, Denis. Good luck with the recovery. I helped a fried with his recovery from surgery about 5 years ago. The recovery process is long and a real pain in the .., shoulder.

Both my left and right rotator cuffs have 1 cm tears - courtesy old age.. Both were painful, but I have full range of motion.  PT did not help the pain. Accupuncture helped for about 5 years. Then I found my solution -- strangely enough it's sking. Apparently the pole plant process is a PT equivalent that keeps me pain free. Elipitcal machines provide the equivalent motion during the off season..

I'm good to go -- until the tears gets worse.

wgo
November 15, 2016
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Denis,

I remember the good vibes you sent my way when I was out for the season back in 2012...here's hoping that you have a speedy recovery.

jimmy
November 15, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

Denis, I will certainly make some turns for you. Glad you got this fixed, waiting is not the best.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2016
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Whew, Denis.  So sorry to hear this.  

Take it the heck easy, heal well, and I'll see you on the slopes!

Woody

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 17, 2016
2,337 posts

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes.  Saw the surgeon today for first post op checkup.  It has been exactly 1 week.  She is very pleased with the result and therefore I am too.  My injury was not a gradual wearing and fraying from overuse, as often seen in "elderly", but a massive blunt force injury with a clean tear.  Both bone and soft tissue are very good quality.  This type of injury has the best prognosis.  I have 5 staples.  Sling must be worn for another 3 weeks and during that time I must be extremely careful not to stress the repair.  Daytime is surprisingly comfortable.  Sleeping is the biggest problem.  I'm getting better every day.

Bumps
November 25, 2016
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts

Remember having to sleep with a full arm cast in a sling setting up. Not fun or restful, I feel for you. Hopefully you will rock through PT and get back out soon.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2016 (edited November 29, 2016)
2,337 posts

I knew it would happen.  The first cold storm in 2+ years hit Tahoe last Saturday.  Sierra at Tahoe was the winner at 24".  That's where I would have been except for this shoulder.  

The backstory, if you'll indulge me, is that the injury occurred occurred on last Feb. 29.  Had an x-ray within days but not an MRI because that is dangerous if you have a pacemaker.  Instead I did physical therapy for months and was improving but not back to normal.  Of course, I had never done anything like this before and didn't really know what it should feel like or how fast to expect progress.  Finally, after reading about it, I got ultrasound which revealed a full, 3 Cm., tear in the supraspinatus, and so got the surgery.  Was disappointed and disillusioned that doctors did not suggest this.  I learned about ultrasound myself and advocated for it myself.  The arthroscopic surgery also revealed partial tears in the infraspinatus and a bicep.  All fixed now.  I hope for a deep snowpack when spring comes.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 29, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Denis wrote:

All fixed now.  I hope for a deep snowpack when spring comes.

Denis, best wishes for a full recovery.  You gotta get back on the slopes for those grandkids.  Long after you're gone they will live for the rest of their lives with the warm memory of skiing with Grandpa.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.