Opening day Snowshoe Nov 2016
18 posts
8 users
3k+ views
eggraid
November 26, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

My family and I were excited to hear snowshoe would be opening the day after Thanksgiving, we packed up the car and headed out  soon after thanksgiving dinner was done. Friday morning we were there for rope drop at 9 am.  There were basically two trails open and two lofts open, Ballhootwr and Powder Monkey.  The trails were crowded. There were few runs I took that I didn't feel a little claustrophobic. The lift lines were non existent so maybe that made up for it at least a little. Friday was in the 40s but the snow was in good condition. Soft but not slushy. Saturday was better, the temps stayed in the 20s all days and the snow was fast and soft in the morning. The harder "packed powder" (ice) showed up in the middle of the trail in the afternoon. We were glad to be back in the slopes! 

I still cant figure out how to get pics posted here 

Bonzski
November 26, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts
And they started blowing on Cupp this morning
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 27, 2016
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

WAY TO GET OUT THERE!

eggraid wrote:

I still cant figure out how to get pics posted here 

You have to host them somewhere else, for example photobucket or put them in a personal album on epicski, then paste url here after you click on image posting icon.  I keep width to 700 to avoid distorted photos.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 27, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Bonzski wrote:

And they started blowing on Cupp this morning

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
Sschneid
November 27, 2016
Member since 03/22/2015 🔗
50 posts

Was there a few minutes after rope drop and made some turns on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  

Friday snow was pretty good - better than I expected.  Good coverage of limited terrain.  No lift lines and a lot of locals on the slopes.  Saturday was cold and windy and we only lasted a few hours in the morning.  Sunday was beautiful - cold and icey in the morning but warmed up fast and snow loosened up.  Pretty empty.  Sunday was the best day of the three for me.

Spruce looked poised to open and was surprised it wasn't on Sunday.  They spread out the whales they had been building there.  They were making snow on Cupp all available times over the weekend.

rbrtlav
November 27, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

I just walked out of the junction and they appear to be grooming spruce, I know they were making snow on it until 10:30 am or so, but seems like it could've opened today.

looks like they might get some snowmaking in tonight and then warm up until Thursday 

wgo
November 27, 2016
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Any speculation (informed or otherwise) on what might be open next weekend?

rbrtlav
November 27, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Look at current open terrain + spruce for next weekend IMO.

Current snowmaking appears to be Cupp + spruce + open terrain + silver creek. I personally think cupp is a long shot for next weekend. I did hear whispers that silver creek might open before the scheduled 17th...but I'll believe it when I see it. Based on weather forecast, I think that after next weekend they will be able to start opening new terrain pretty quickly.

wgo wrote:

Any speculation (informed or otherwise) on what might be open next weekend?

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 28, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

Spruce opened today (Monday)

eggraid
November 28, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Another interesting tidbit - at both Ballhooter and Powder Monkey lifts they had a line that was marked "Primo Passholders only" where people who had the primo pass could go through a quicker line. It was ski on to lift all weekend, but I could see that being very valuable on a typical weekend 

Sschneid
November 28, 2016
Member since 03/22/2015 🔗
50 posts

eggraid wrote:

Another interesting tidbit - at both Ballhooter and Powder Monkey lifts they had a line that was marked "Primo Passholders only" where people who had the primo pass could go through a quicker line. It was ski on to lift all weekend, but I could see that being very valuable on a typical weekend 

And designated "Primo" parking spaces just outside Big Top next to Stemwinder/Shays.

eggraid
November 28, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Sschneid wrote:

eggraid wrote:

And designated "Primo" parking spaces just outside Big Top next to Stemwinder/Shays.

I can't find anything on Snowshoe's website about the "Primo Pass". You must have to know the secret knock to get it.

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 28, 2016 (edited November 28, 2016)
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

PRIMO PASS INFO Unofficial

There are a limited number of Primo passes or Primo Pass upgrades (from the previously sold Ridiculous Pass) available.   I enjoyed testing the concept last season and providing input into the mgt decision to go ahead with the concept this season .  Unfortunately it is priced well beyond my affordable price point, definitely for deep pockets or those that get in lots of ski days at the Shoe.  The Pass also includes discounts at the resort and the ability to make weekend dinner reservations at Snowshoe OWNED restaurants such as The Junction.  Determining the cost was a major mgt decision, too low and too many would purchase defeating the purpose of the special lift line on a crowded day, and thoroughly irritating the regular customers in the normal long lift lines.  Having a  Snowshoe Primo Pass makes the holder eligible to upgrade to the Intrawest+ MAX Pass good at 30 ski resorts throughout the country.   Unfortunately I do not get to Snowshoe frequently  enough  to justify the extra expense, especially if I were to upgrade all of my extended season pass holder skiing family!  If we were going to visit other resorts that are a part of the MAX Pass it might make more economic sense.

I do not know how many PRIMO season passes/upgrade have been sold, or if they have been sold out.  If the number sold  is less than the total anticipated sales, management might want to think about selling a daily Primo upgrade to regular Snowshoe pass holders, first come first sold until the max number of Primo users for a day is reached.  This would be an added expense for the ski day, but might make sense for those SS skiers who do not get to the mountain often enough to justify the full cost of a Primo Pass.

MorganB

aka The Colonel

rbrtlav
November 28, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Sunday... blue skys and good coverage

The base outside highland house Saturday evening, Junction in the background:

Spruce, Monday AM:

wgo
December 2, 2016
1,666 posts

Where is The Depot at Snowshoe? Apparently that is where is need to pick up my tickets. Is it somewhere near Rimfire Lodge? In years past I have always been able to pick up tickets at Top of the World but this is not open yet.

rbrtlav
December 2, 2016
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Kinda across from expedition station. If you find Cheat pizza or signatures just look across the sidewalk and you should see it

Bonzski
December 2, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

As you walk up the steps from the bus stop at the village, the Depot is on the immediate top/left of steps.

wgo
December 2, 2016
1,666 posts

Thanks!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.