Snowshoe Demo Days December 2016
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
hoyadrew
November 27, 2016
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

Will this still happen next weekend? I need new skis and would love to make it down. It was canceled last year for the December one if I remember correctly.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
November 28, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

It's still listed as an activity on their events calendar for Dec 3 + 4.

hoyadrew
December 2, 2016
Member since 12/19/2005 🔗
147 posts

I am gonna head up to Snowshoe in a couple of hour for the night/tomorrow, if anyone is around. I am moving to the Bavarian Alps in January and wanna get a few days in on my Ridiculous Pass before I leave.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 2, 2016 (edited December 2, 2016)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts

hoyadrew wrote:

I am gonna head up to Snowshoe in a couple of hour for the night/tomorrow, if anyone is around. I am moving to the Bavarian Alps in January and wanna get a few days in on my Ridiculous Pass before I leave.

Wow, we want trip reports from the Alps!  And meanwhile some from Snowshoe too:-)

rbrtlav
December 4, 2016 (edited December 4, 2016)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Coverage on the trails open was fantastic. Both Friday and Saturday afternoon visibility was awful, and snowmaking was on Spruce, in the morning this was creating some VERY VERY sticky spots, seemed to get better snow in the afternoon, but almost no visibility after 2:00. Conditions in general were hard packed, there was ice in some spots, but I never had issues carving. 

Sunday, seemed to hover right at freezing, and the snowmaking was mostly on closed terrain... I think they had a trail open from the housing near powder ridge, but I don't believe they were running the lift, seems like the focus right now is Cupp + where there is lodging. Supposedly they made snow by soaring eagle.

I took out some demo skis nd enjoyed them alot, I'll probaly hit a few demo days throughout the year and get something before next season, seems like the skis they had are noticably improved over my ~4-5 year old skis. (I think I have 2013's)

Stopped at the Cupp overlook on the way home... I think next weekend really depends on how much rain they get on Tues/Wed, right now the forecast is on the wrong side of freezing by a degree or 2... but up there you never know. Top half looks good, bottom half seems hard to tell.

Bonzski
December 4, 2016
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Saturday the mountain was socked in with fog and the guns were roaring, but the snow was great and no crowds.

Spruce

Demo Tents

I tested the new Soul7 and Head Monster 88.

Sunday the fog lifted and most guns were off, still great snow.

Terrain park

Cupp is nearly ready, they finished making whales just below lift.  Couple mountain workers said they're expecting to open it this weekend if not sooner.

wgo
December 5, 2016
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Fun half-day on Sunday - as noted earlier, coverage and snow quality was good. Lapped Spruce and hit the terrain park and generally tried to keep up with my kid.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.