Timberline needs new management immediately!
112 posts
32 users
18k+ views
3skiwv
December 7, 2016
Member since 09/30/2013 🔗
22 posts

Pushed start date out again cause had a couple days of rain. Next 10 days show good snowmaking weather with some natural snow as well. I am so sick of the halfass effort that they put into a place that so many people love and call their 2nd home. Rant over but i am extremely pissed. Between moto-x races and snowmobile races that draw 10's of people this is getting old.

TomH
December 7, 2016 (edited December 7, 2016)
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

It is interesting that a resort with one of the, if not the highest elevation, arguably the most natural snowfall and among the lowest average temperatures has one of the shortest seasons in the mid atlantic.

3skiwv
December 7, 2016
22 posts

It really is a complete and utter joke. I feel bad for their employee that supports their Facebook feed. For them to not be able to open shows absolute zero effort on part of the entire management team.

Norsk
December 7, 2016
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Ah but they do have new management.  They just appointed a retired Army Colonel as their COO and CFO!

(To be fair, based on his bio, this fellow sounds like he was the real deal in the military.  However he has ZERO ski industry experience and one must admit that the Pentagon is not exactly known for the efficiency of its bureaucracy.)

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
3skiwv
December 7, 2016
22 posts

Once again the loyal followers of Tline get the shaft. At least Canaan will be opening. Having zero ski industry experience puts him in good company :)

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2016
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

TomH wrote:

It is interesting that a resort with one of the, if not the highest elevation, arguably the most natural snowfall and among the lowest average temperatures has one of the shortest seasons in the mid atlantic.

I'd replace "interesting" with "a ____ shame".   

teleman
December 7, 2016
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

They used to be open about 16/17 weekends a season and now it is 13 weekends this season (assuming they close on 3/19). 

But, this allows more time for lift maintenance so they can apply extra grease (tslime) to the haul rope grips.   

crgildart
December 7, 2016 (edited December 7, 2016)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Any update on T-Line PowerGate?  Paying utilities and reparing dangerous lifts is way ahead of opening first in area/region when it comes to my list of what's most improtant.

3skiwv
December 7, 2016
22 posts
Yes paying power bills that they are collecting from homeowners is important and I would think a simple normal responsibility as it is for me to pay. Making sure lifts are safe for skiers....again, should this be some special action of theirs? You own and wish to manage a ski resort. If you can't handle basic responsibilities then for God's sake please sale!
crgildart
December 7, 2016
767 posts

TomH wrote:

Sugar and Beech in NC are both up about 5,400 feet up.  Definitely a contender for the other two variables though..

AndyGene
December 10, 2016
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Th y are just now having their job fair. No wonder they can't open, they don't have a staff yet. Good job Fred!

ridenski - DCSki Supporter 
December 10, 2016
Member since 04/11/2004 🔗
82 posts

Was up at Northface today replacing a router, decided to break out the cross country gear and have a ski up Salamander since all the snow guns were firing. Skiied to the top and took a run down- pretty good coverage all the way, especially if they push out the snow piles theyve made. Nice to get my first run in this season. Based on what I saw they aren't that far from having some terrain open. Truck said it was 13 degrees at the base on the way home. Lots of snow guns firing as I headed for the flatlands.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
December 12, 2016
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

AndyGene wrote:

Th y are just now having their job fair. No wonder they can't open, they don't have a staff yet. Good job Fred!

Probably not a good idea to hire employees unless you're really really sure you can pay them!   What a circus... and a shame...

crgildart
December 12, 2016
767 posts

RodneyBD wrote:

AndyGene wrote:

Probably not a good idea to hire employees unless you're really really sure you can pay them!   What a circus... and a shame...

And paying them is extremely contingent on the weather.  If you hire 50 seasonal part timers but tell them to just wait until the resort has enough cold weather to blow snow and open how many do you think will still be available 6 weeks later?  They can't really nail anyone down committed until there is actually work to be done and pay to be paid. 

David
December 12, 2016
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

3skiwv wrote:

Pushed start date out again cause had a couple days of rain. Next 10 days show good snowmaking weather with some natural snow as well. I am so sick of the halfass effort that they put into a place that so many people love and call their 2nd home. Rant over but i am extremely pissed. Between moto-x races and snowmobile races that draw 10's of people this is getting old.

Ask and you shall receive. Now anyone can be apart of Tline management. 

Per their Facebook:

"We have an immediate job opening for an executive assistant to the CEO at Timberline. We are deeply thankful for the years we have had the amazing Kathy Dotson in this job (just wanted to put that out there...)

So. Monitoring social media and answering client questions on same is a part of of the position, and the willingness to monitor. (Answering questions on social media does not require expert knowledge of skiing, just knowing who to ask, and the ability to write.) The position also involves writing reports, interfacing remotely with all departments, the media and also the government. Facile with software. A liberal arts degree and an organized mind with an interest in business and finance is a great qualification. This position can be done remotely with occasional sight visits, or it can be filled by a candidate who lives nearby. It is a great opportunity for the right candidate to learn a tremendous amount about management and business and practice that knowledge, with the flexibility to pursue creative projects too. The ability to grow with the company, too. Please help us spread the word! And send us a link to your resume on LinkedIn if you are interested in applying and/or make an appointment to talk."

Crush
December 12, 2016
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

they clearly need help ...

"... occasional sight visits, or it can be ..."

eeesh!

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 12, 2016
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Unfortunately this position is unlikely to help with the management problems cited by DCSkiers in previous posts.

teleman
December 13, 2016
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

But other local resorts don't seem to have this issue.  I understand the TL issues...who wants to work in a building that smells like a fraternity house???

And paying them is extremely contingent on the weather.  If you hire 50 seasonal part timers but tell them to just wait until the resort has enough cold weather to blow snow and open how many do you think will still be available 6 weeks later?  They can't really nail anyone down committed until there is actually work to be done and pay to be paid.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
December 13, 2016
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

There was a time when all lodges smelled like frat houses. I don't mind, I just need some good snow, a good lift, and a good slope.

https://youtu.be/sHQ_aTjXObs

December 13, 2016
1,580 posts

pagamony wrote:

I just need some good snow, a good lift, and a good slope.

I could not resist        2 outta 3 ain't bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

December 13, 2016
925 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

pagamony wrote:

I just need some good snow, a good lift, and a good slope.

I could not resist        2 outta 3 ain't bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hWWe-ts2s

That was a softball.  I knew someone would say that.  Now which two do you want for paradice?

https://youtu.be/C11MzbEcHlw

fishnski
December 13, 2016
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Im sitting here trying to figure out what kind of personality likes Meatloaf.....

fishnski
December 13, 2016
3,530 posts

I can see him falling out on Salamander....dont hate!

crgildart
December 13, 2016
767 posts

As long as they have their spit together by Feb 23rd I have no complaints!  We'll be staying a couple hundred feet off Winterset that weekend.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
David
December 15, 2016 (edited December 15, 2016)
2,444 posts

It may be because good help is hard to find (everyone's making much better money drilling for gas, cutting pipelines, mining coal, or selling dope) or it may be terrible planning on Timberline's part. Either way I think it's becoming more and more obvious why Timberline is 1 month behind Snowshoe, 2 weeks behind CVR, 1 week behind 7 Springs, >1 week behind Hidden Valley, 1 week behind Wisp, 1 week behind Snowtime resorts, 1 week behind Wintergreen, and 1 week behind Massanutten. (and it's not bad weather)

From their Facebook today: "It takes strength, stamina, discipline, and grit to be a Timberline Four Seasons Resort snowmaker. Do you have what it takes? Accept the challenge today! Apply today in person or call 304-866-4801 to inquire about joining Timberline’s renowned snowmaking team." 

crgildart
December 15, 2016
767 posts

^^^Women need not apply? 

mdr227
December 16, 2016
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts

Really disappointing again with Timberline.   Have always loved the terrain there, but lately haven't wanted to go there as often as in the past due to the poor management and operation of it (not to mention the lack of investment).   Hard to believe they are the last resort to open in the whole mid-atlantic area by a week at minimum.    Liberty and Whitetail will beat it by a week and even Bryce beat it by two weeks.   Really sad considering what a good cold spell we've had lately to allow them to make snow.   I know they are struggling to get employees and funding for so many things, but as many have said on this forum it could be such a great ski resort if the proper investment was made.   Not just an upgrade to the lodge (to me the lodge facilities are the least of my worries), but investments into employing staff, upgrading the lifts, enhancing the snow making and potentially adding new trails (though likely there is limited space for that).   They could run from early December until late March like they used to.   I would hate to be a home owner at Timberline having barely a two, maybe three month rental season when you could easily have up to a four month rental season in the Winter.   If they put in a high speed quad (or better yet a six pack or two high speed quads) it would make such a difference in the skier experience and draw more people there which would then give them more revenue to make more investments, etc..  

Norsk
December 16, 2016
317 posts

Hard to argue with most of that mdr227. Some of us homeowners and locals do have the view that a high speed quad would be a bad idea without more terrain. Would drop too many people onto the hill for the capacity of the trails 80% of the customers ski.  Ever skied the Highlands at Wintergreen on a busy weekend day?  There is no room to ski.  This debate has been hashed out here many times.  Just sayin' there's two points of view on that.  Obviously Tline needs new lifts; but you can debate what sort of lifts.  

I would love to know from locals whether Tline is having difficulty recruiting employees this season.  The poster ad for snowmaking staff on FB was certainly unusual.

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
December 18, 2016 (edited December 18, 2016)
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

Wow ... I don't follow Facebook but are you serious that they had that post? As cirgldart   what no women?  crazy, guarentee the women in the valley can step up, ought to be encouraged as part of any team.

I shan't pile on though, T'line in proximity with CVR and WG makes the best experience in the midatlantic....we just need some damn weather  I think

December 19, 2016
1,580 posts

They seem to have upgraded their webcam. http://www.timberlineresort.com/snowcam.php  ..... but 2 of the 4 preset camera angles point at the side of the building.  Good Grief!

Norsk
December 19, 2016
317 posts

At least it is outside the building...

yellowsnow
December 20, 2016
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

Timberline, Our Motto:  "Anything worth doing.....is worth doing half-assed"

December 20, 2016
925 posts

that cam is hilarious.  mesmerizing almost.  on the plus side when it does show a partial slope view the snow looks good !

timberline is like a happy addiction.  i laugh at it but then i go there again.  

Kemper - when do you want to drive up ?

JohnL
December 20, 2016
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

pagamony wrote:

that cam is hilarious.  mesmerizing almost.  on the plus side when it does show a partial slope view the snow looks good !

Gunna be interesting how much they can load the lifts this year and how crowded the lift lines will be prime time on Saturdays/Sundays. Midweek should be fine, as always.

Per their FB page, Silver Queen will load as a double this year. Plus, there was some ruckus about T-Line Realty clients getting lift-cutting privileges. Could be interesting...

Plus, is Timberline now the only alpine ski area in the Mid-Atlantic not open? Oglebay is now open: http://ski.oglebay-resort.com/index.html

December 20, 2016
259 posts

JohnL wrote:

pagamony wrote:

Gunna be interesting how much they can load the lifts this year and how crowded the lift lines will be prime time on Saturdays/Sundays. Midweek should be fine, as always.

Per their FB page, Silver Queen will load as a double this year. Plus, there was some ruckus about T-Line Realty clients getting lift-cutting privileges. Could be interesting...

Plus, is Timberline now the only alpine ski area in the Mid-Atlantic not open? Oglebay is now open: http://ski.oglebay-resort.com/index.html

Looks like it will be a photo finish between Timberline and the one run at Ski Sapphire Valley!  YIKES!!

http://www.skisapphirevalley.com/home.html

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
December 20, 2016
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

The Homestead VA has also posted a December 23 opening on its website.

Woody

eggraid
December 21, 2016
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

They seem to have upgraded their webcam. http://www.timberlineresort.com/snowcam.php  ..... but 2 of the 4 preset camera angles point at the side of the building.  Good Grief!

Shoot, it's down already, I couldn't get it to load this AM

3skiwv
December 21, 2016
22 posts

"Per their FB page, Silver Queen will load as a double this year. Plus, there was some ruckus about T-Line Realty clients getting lift-cutting privileges. Could be interesting”¦"

If this is true all holy hell will breakout on the mountain.

December 21, 2016
925 posts

Timberline - please cut off those stupid seat dividers on the restraining bars on the queen.  remove the damn restraining bars if you have to.   Then no one will notice it's not a double and we will be much more comfortable and happy and then visit more often and spend more money in the pub.  

crgildart
December 21, 2016
767 posts

3skiwv wrote:

"Per their FB page, Silver Queen will load as a double this year. Plus, there was some ruckus about T-Line Realty clients getting lift-cutting privileges. Could be interesting”¦"

If this is true all holy hell will breakout on the mountain.

I've never seen what I'd call a line at t-line except right outside the lodge at 1PM on a Saturday.  However, next time we go we will be renting from Timberline Reality so WOOT WOOT!  You can cut and ride up with us if there's a long line

December 21, 2016
925 posts

webcam looks good now.  snow looks great.  groomer belching black smoke.  all's good.  

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
December 21, 2016
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

pagamony wrote:

as soon as there is 12 in. in 24hrs and I can connect to Whitegrass --- to quote Daffy Duck "this season is desthphicable!"

David
December 22, 2016
2,444 posts

I skied the "highest average" open vertical in Canaan Valley yesterday....Kudos to Canaan Valley Resort for some great early season snowmaking. Must be some strange weather anomaly that has allowed them to make more snow than other resorts in the Valley in order to open 2 weeks earlier. 

teleman
December 22, 2016
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

The valley is known for it's microclimate.  I will be spending more time at CV this season as it is colder over there with better snow.    

David wrote:

I skied the "highest average" open vertical in Canaan Valley yesterday....Kudos to Canaan Valley Resort for some great early season snowmaking. Must be some strange weather anomaly that has allowed them to make more snow than other resorts in the Valley in order to open 2 weeks earlier.

David
December 23, 2016
2,444 posts

And just like that, Timberline is the last resort in America to open. 

mdr227
December 23, 2016
193 posts

Wow, only two runs from the top of the mountain, no intermediate trails even from the midstation on down.   I really feel for all of those homeowners around Timberline as well as the people that had made vacation plans there for this holiday weekend and week ahead.    I know there hasn't been much natural snow, but there has been plenty of cold weather to make snow to have at least one more trail from the top open on the West side of the mountain.   

crgildart
December 23, 2016 (edited December 23, 2016)
767 posts

It won't be any better around here this weekend.  I skied yesterday and it wasn't looking good, two main trails with thin spots, even a couple bare spots in high traffic areas.  More warm and rain to follow.  I wouldn't blame the resorts for the "climate".

Add in they didn't seem to have enough capital to pay thier utilities on time after repairing the lift.  Doubt they had a lot of money to throw at snowmaking and pre season staffing to man the guns.  It is clear that they did try to hire folks, I mean "real  men" last week though..

December 23, 2016
778 posts

It's a tie, at least as far as our area goes.  The Homestead VA also opened today (Friday, December 23) with 3 of 9 runs available.

Woody

December 23, 2016
778 posts

Cloudmont, Alabama, has apparently not yet opened for the season.  

Woody

camp
December 23, 2016
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

yellowsnow wrote:

Timberline, Our Motto:  "Anything worth doing.....is worth doing half-assed"

Best thing I've read on the internet in months.

AndyGene
January 7, 2017
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

How in the hell do they only have 2 top to bottom runs open this far into the season?

crgildart
January 7, 2017
767 posts

AndyGene wrote:

How in the hell do they only have 2 top to bottom runs open this far into the season?

Snowmobile races aren't until March.  They have plenty of time to build up more coverage..

Seriously though, this week should deliver ideal conditions to blast away.  If they don't have things rocking by MLK Weekend that could be pretty dissapointing and I'll start to worry.  Places out here are just now getting going/recovering from the warm and rain we had the past 3 weeks..

JohnL
January 8, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

crgildart wrote:

AndyGene wrote:

Snowmobile races aren't until March.  They have plenty of time to build up more coverage..

Seriously though, this week should deliver ideal conditions to blast away.  If they don't have things rocking by MLK Weekend that could be pretty dissapointing and I'll start to worry.  Places out here are just now getting going/recovering from the warm and rain we had the past 3 weeks..

If you aren't worried now...

Great snow making window this past weekend, but major week long warmup with rain starting on Tuesday. During a winter like this one, you have to be prepared to take advantage of cold snaps (staff in place, equipment maintained and working properly, etc.)

Whitetail is nearly 100 percent open. I hope TLine can somehow open OTW with only a couple days of blowing.

Since this is a football Sunday, you are what your record says you are. Timberline's record is on their conditions page.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 8, 2017 (edited January 8, 2017)
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts

Good snow today. Natural and machine made powder, not deep but soft. The terrain that is open skis big. Very few skiers. Brutally cold.

wgo
January 8, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

JohnL wrote:

Great snow making window this past weekend, but major week long warmup with rain starting on Tuesday. During a winter like this one, you have to be prepared to take advantage of cold snaps (staff in place, equipment maintained and working properly, etc.

I have had some great, great days at timberline. But when it came time for me to book a trip in advance for the family, I went with Snowshoe this year. I just wasn't willing to role the dice on having large stretches of winter weather. I'll reserve the TL trips for last minute decisions when the conditions are good. 

JohnL
January 8, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

wgo wrote:

JohnL wrote:

Great snow making window this past weekend, but major week long warmup with rain starting on Tuesday. During a winter like this one, you have to be prepared to take advantage of cold snaps (staff in place, equipment maintained and working properly, etc.

I have had some great, great days at timberline. But when it came time for me to book a trip in advance for the family, I went with Snowshoe this year. I just wasn't willing to role the dice on having large stretches of winter weather. I'll reserve the TL trips for last minute decisions when the conditions are good. 

That is a wise move. And even when conditions are good, I don't think the lifts can handle the needed uphill capacity. The Silver Queen can't run at full capacity anymore.

'They are running the place into the ground.

mdr227
January 8, 2017
193 posts

It is such as a shame as Timberline is so accessible to the DC area now with Corridor H completed to Davis and has such great natural terrain, great natural snowfall (though needs to be supplemented by snowmaking) and has great lodging options both slodeside and very close that are all very affordable for families and groups.   If the right owners could come in it could be such a great ski resort, but as it is now it is just sad seeing how it continues to go downhill.   As one poster said having just two top to bottom runs open and just over 1/3 of the terrain open at this point in the Winter with some strong cold spells already is unbelievable.  

David
January 9, 2017
2,444 posts

Times are so bad Tline is posting powder pics from last year on their Instagram...

GRK
January 9, 2017
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts

Hi...been absent from this forum awhile.  Definitley my loss.  Sorry to hear TL is struggling, but then thats just a continuation of an old theme.  Lifts were done years ago.

David
January 19, 2017
2,444 posts

Shot at Timberline thus far this winter. 

https://www.facebook.com/CandideThovex/videos/10154104618258204/

January 19, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

David wrote:

Shot at Timberline thus far this winter. 

https://www.facebook.com/CandideThovex/videos/10154104618258204/

David, TL or not, that is an amazing video!!!  One negative, NO HELMET!

This guy is nuts!  Makes summer grass skiing at Bryce look like a walk in the park.

January 20, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Anybody notice that Upper and Lower Salamander at TL have been closed for several days.  

Wonder what the prognosis is for this weekend?

mdr227
January 20, 2017
193 posts

They were reporting that with thin cover earlier in the week and now it's closed and Upper Dew Drop and Upper White Lightning both say thin cover so may be soon (especially if the Valley gets much rain from this weekend's big rain storm hitting the mid-atlantic) that come early next week in late January there are no trails open from the top of the mountain.   In my memory that has never happened (and honestly can't recall a Winter when so few top to bottom trails have been open at TL).  

Also interesting is that the snow reports says "dim lighting for night skiing" on those two upper trails, wonder if they've got a bunch of light bulbs out and can't even afford to replace them ;-).

JohnL
January 20, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Sally and OTW closed tues or wed w the heavy rain, Sally was getting rough by mon, Sinkholes and bare spots. They'll try to push it out, but doubt it will open. BTW, Timber trail at CVR was far worse than Sally.

Weather worm looks to be turning. Higher elevations may get snow with early next week storm, cold air returns Thurs pm.

Norsk
January 21, 2017
317 posts

Salamander is open this morning.  Despite all the speculation, looks like they were protecting the base, and had to do some spot repairs to certain sections.  Groomers were pushing snow around yesterday to get it ready for the weekend.

fishnski
January 21, 2017
3,530 posts

JohnL wrote:

Weather worm looks to be turning. Higher elevations may get snow with early next week storm, cold air returns Thurs pm.

its been interesting watching the models try to handle this storm system coming in...first there was a snowball chance in hell to get Snow because any cold air was way way away....buttt..if it spins up just right and is as strong as advertised it could create its own cold air by sucking it down from the colder air above it giving the high country some snow....that would be such a blessing instead of another gully washer...then instead of cold upslope afterwards..and since the cold air is still too far out we get a quick warmup ahead of the real cold that will come in giving extended day cold and snow chances...sure would be great to jumpstart that phase with this incoming storm...Snow dance time!

fishnski
January 23, 2017
3,530 posts

33 degrees at the top of the mountain at TL...
All the snow coming will slow this thread down...
Managements best friend is coming back...they have always relied on this ....

David
January 23, 2017
2,444 posts

fishnski wrote:

33 degrees at the top of the mountain at TL...
All the snow coming will slow this thread down...
Managements best friend is coming back...they have always relied on this ....

Hopefully.

..and for Timberline's sake, hopefully they get some snowy pictures so they don't have to keep reposting old pictures from previous years (not well labeled of course). 

Norsk
January 23, 2017
317 posts

Love this "explanation" currently posted on the webcam:

The Mountain Cam is currently displaying archival footage while the camera's hardware is being upgraded.

Wasn't the camera new this fall??

At this point I just want to see a heap of snow for the sake of all the locals who earn their living in the winter months.  Things have been getting a bit dire up there I fear.

fishnski
January 23, 2017 (edited January 23, 2017)
3,530 posts

Norsk wrote:

The Mountain Cam is currently displaying archival footage while the camera's hardware is being upgraded.

At this point I just want to see a heap of snow for the sake of all the locals who earn their living in the winter months.  Things have been getting a bit dire up there I fear.

I was wondering what was going on since it has been Dumping per the Canaan Cam since around 11am or so...switched over to TL Cam and...WTF?....no snow and.clouds were moving in the wrong direction for a noreaster!....like I posted 2 days ago...this storm didnt have a chance for snow at first fcast but if it spun up right....well..its a spinnin!

chaga
January 24, 2017 (edited January 24, 2017)
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Norsk wrote:

The WG webcam was down yeasterday and nobody complained :p           Good!, flying under the radar is how we like it!   Chip Chase is the only local I know who truely 'earns his living' in the winter months   

January 24, 2017
925 posts

OMG, archival footage == alternative facts.

that is just too perfect.

David
January 25, 2017
2,444 posts

Anyone see Timberline's Facebook post about the drawing for a "Lifetime Season Pass", good for 30 seasons??

mdr227
January 28, 2017
193 posts

Even with the cold weather the last few days and natural snow this week Timberline still only has two top to bottom runs open (one intermediate and one black) and Salamander still is closed.   Amazing how even with a few days of snowmaking weather throughout the day they can't get Salamander open.    

Skibumom
January 30, 2017
Member since 12/6/2016 🔗
3 posts

crgildart wrote:

^^^Women need not apply? 

Ok, we'll watch! ;)

Skibumom
January 30, 2017
Member since 12/6/2016 🔗
3 posts

Skibumom wrote:  Seriously... watch your drive out... 2nd snow, 2nd tx roads were horrible; multiple accidents. Use Your Chains!! Stay safe, ski fast!!

crgildart wrote:

^^^Women need not apply? 

Ok, we'll watch! ;)

AndyGene
February 2, 2017
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

People are really letting them have it on their Facebook page today. This is the worst ski hilll in the country.  3 feet of natural snow. 10 day window to make snow.  3 ways down from the top. 

mdr227
February 2, 2017
193 posts

Things are about as bad as I can remember at Timberline this Winter.      What's shocking to me is that according to their snow report they are not even making snow on Upper Salamander and here we are in February and it's still closed and there is no snowmaking on any other trails from the top with just one intermediate, one advanced and a double diamond with thin cover from the top.   If I were a homeowner there I would consider a law suit against them as I can't even begin to imagine their frustrations during one of the peak rental seasons that they all rely on for rental income.  

I went to Whitetail on Monday and they were blowing snow still on almost all open trails throughout the morning (after having run much of the weekend) and are practically 100% open (and have been for weeks) with really no natural snowfall that has amounted to anything and then you see Timberline and the pathetic number of trails open halfway through the season still.

Timberline used to be my favorite place to go and I could put up with the slow, low capacity lifts, lack of facilities, etc. because it always has been a great mountain to ski, but honestly can't see myself choosing to go there anytime soon over all the other resorts that put a much better effort forth to open terrain.

February 3, 2017
259 posts

Water and electricity are needed to make snow, and both cost money.  Something is up and I'll bet someone with eyes on this board can provide more info.

Norsk
February 3, 2017
317 posts

Management has been pretty adamant in blaming the situation on snowmaking problems (including faulty equipment, but perhaps also including inadequate cash flow) rather than the poor winter.  So my question is: how about all of those folks (including me) who bought the not-so-Awesome Pass?  Is Tline's posture really going to be "sorry, our snowmaking equipment didn't work, and we didn't have the funds to go all-out once we fixed it, but too bad for you, you've still lost one of the years of your pass"?

mook21
February 3, 2017
Member since 12/30/2013 🔗
50 posts

I love the terrain at Timberline but looking at their pitiful attempt to open terrain and lack of snowmaking is really highlighted when compared to Whitetail with, as someone said earlier, 0 natural snow, warmer temperatures, and still open 100%... size can not be used as an excuse with Timberline being 26 acres smaller than Whitetail. 

Interesting, their owners lived in our hometown of Winchester until last fall... they sold their house here and moved and did it very quietly.

NKYSKIER
February 3, 2017 (edited February 3, 2017)
Member since 12/22/2015 🔗
1 posts

I wish Timberline would get its together just to give Snowshoe some competition.  Would rather deal with the slow lifts of Timberline than pay 7.50 for a bud light at snowshoe.  

David
February 3, 2017
2,444 posts

Norsk wrote:

Management has been pretty adamant in blaming the situation on snowmaking problems (including faulty equipment, but perhaps also including inadequate cash flow) rather than the poor winter.  So my question is: how about all of those folks (including me) who bought the not-so-Awesome Pass?  Is Tline's posture really going to be "sorry, our snowmaking equipment didn't work, and we didn't have the funds to go all-out once we fixed it, but too bad for you, you've still lost one of the years of your pass"?

Year after year. It's always the same cycle. Before the season starts they brag about all of their new snow making equipment. Seems like every fall they get a shipment of new guns. Season starts and the snow making is always lack luster. This year Mother Nature just isn't bailing them out. On top of all that they having no money because all of their passholders have awesome passes and didn't drop $400 last spring for a new pass. Their business model never has been built on common sense.  And the Utility company has the March 30th date looming over their heads as well.

crgildart
February 3, 2017
767 posts

They'll need to start making snow sometime before the snowmobiles show up. 

AndyGene
February 17, 2017
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

They have a press release on their Facebook currently saying they will be closed midweek next week. Probably to keep the snow for the snowmobiles. 

mdr227
February 17, 2017
193 posts

That is sad, but not unexpected (though would be nice if they put the notice on their website too prominently so people would see it there as not everyone digs into their FB page) with their having such few trails open all Winter.   I feel bad for those people that had rented properties around the resort during that span.   Thankfully CVR is right down the road so at least there will be a skiing option in the valley during the week.  

David
February 17, 2017
2,444 posts

AndyGene wrote:

They have a press release on their Facebook currently saying they will be closed midweek next week. Probably to keep the snow for the snowmobiles. 

"Timberline Four Seasons Resort will be temporarily closing February 21st-23rd, 2017. In a move to refocus our efforts on improving the ski experience during our most popular ski times, we have decided that it is in the best interest of quality and safety to close to skiing midweek 

The decision to temporarily close was not easy to make, however the decision was formed after hearing the concerns of company management, the mountain operations team and ski patrol. This will allow us to put more time into maintaining trails for the reopening February 24th - 26th. 

Al Tomson, Chief Operating Officer, said “It is important to provide a quality experience for our guests while simultaneously extending our skiing season. We are trading off a few days during this warm spell to ensure skiing well into March.” 

We apologize to anyone that this decision has inconvenienced; we are refunding pre-purchased lift tickets and rentals for those specific days.

Timberline Four Seasons Resort is a family owned and operated business celebrating our 30th year of skiing in the Potomac Highlands. We offer authentic experiences year-round with scenic hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, summer camps and more. 

For more information message us on facebook or call us at 1-800-snowing."

teleman
February 17, 2017 (edited February 17, 2017)
Member since 07/8/2005 🔗
186 posts

Not likely I will ever spend another dime at TL.  This is beyond pathetic closing during a holiday week; some people take a week long vacation during that week.   

Pretty much confirms I will buy a SS Ridiculous Pass and perhaps the MaxPass next year.  bye bye TL.   

3skiwv
February 17, 2017
22 posts
This made me chuckle with latest news..... $99 END OF SEASON PASS Ski pass begins on February 21st & goes until the final day of skiing. February 5 & March 5, 2017
crgildart
February 17, 2017
767 posts

$99 is less than the wak up price for ONE weekend right?  They're charging us about $70 for three days this weekend because we are also renting a house from them..

David
February 18, 2017
2,444 posts

They're now drawing for lifetime season passes every Saturday at the Pub. I'm guessing by 'lifetime' they're probably good for about as long as the $99 end of season pass they're selling right now as well... 

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
February 18, 2017
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

I have 2 transferrable awesome passes, hardly used, good for next season. I'm taking bids. Do I hear a bid of 1 plug nickel, 1 plug nickel? Do I hear 1 plug nickel??? No? How about 1 red penny, do I hear 1 red penny?

I really do have 2 passes. What was it, $600 a pass, $300 a pass? Wait don't tell me I really forgot and I don't think I could bear the truth. I guess my contributions couldn't save them. Can I take it as a charity deduction?

February 18, 2017
2,038 posts

Here's the sad dichotomy, is it bad management or a flat market? Are they the victim or the crime? I do wish private owners could deliver a sterling product in the Mid-A. I was/am rooting for Timberline and even Denton Hill in central PA. Perhaps the future ability of the region to offer affordable winter recreation will be that tried and proven formula that built the industry to begin with: public private partnership. It seems to be working down the Valley at Canaan and it is being given a go at Laurel (which is delivering a sterling if limited product). PA is even considering helping out at Denton Hill.

Are the owners of Timberline Pirates fans?

VirginiaJack
February 21, 2017
Member since 02/19/2017 🔗
3 posts

This is really depressing. Timberline is by far my favorite local hill. I just checked the schedule for Brew Skies so I could reserve my favorite home away from home, this years Brew Skies has already been canceled. This doesn't bode well, this really doesn't bode well.

kwillg6
February 21, 2017
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts

Brew skies was not due to anything the mountian di or didn't do.  It was the decision of Mountian State Brewery who hads sponsored the event the last several years.  Perhaps someone else will pick it up and sponsor it at timberline ahich is a great venue for this event.  

February 21, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

What's the status for Snowy Luau 2017?!!

MorganB

aka The Colonel

crgildart
February 22, 2017
767 posts

So looking at the snow reports for today, TL is closed as mentioned.  I see that TL is reporting 26"-40" of base (assuming very limited acerage) and CV is reporting 12"-24" with roughly half of their terrain open.  Should neither be able to make much snow beyond Saturday night it will be interesting to see which one remains open and "skiable" longer.

February 22, 2017
925 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

I have 2 transferrable awesome passes, hardly used, good for next season. I'm taking bids. Do I hear a bid of 1 plug nickel, 1 plug nickel? Do I hear 1 plug nickel??? No? How about 1 red penny, do I hear 1 red penny?

I really do have 2 passes. What was it, $600 a pass, $300 a pass? Wait don't tell me I really forgot and I don't think I could bear the truth. I guess my contributions couldn't save them. Can I take it as a charity deduction?

I'll give you two plug nickes, a red cent, and a quid.

JohnL
February 22, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

You have Crazie in your screen name.

I blame you. If you bought for your entire family, you would have saved the place.

February 22, 2017
2,038 posts

I had visions of all trails open all season long, good natural snow to ski those glades, (OK, i can't blame them for that). I can't justify the drive even for a day trip when I can get more and better terrain here for less than half the travel time. If it were just an average season I would have gotten the value. If they could have made the most of their snowmaking window it would have been a good deal. Now its looking like I might not even get there this weekend and even if I do Kathy can't ski do to medical problems. If we get a late winter and deep snow late or mid March will they even be open?  

Oh, how I long for the days of those impromptu April Fools Day on the slope were  a lot of folks brought out their zany and skimmed slush all day. Winter isn't that way anymore and neither are the skiers.

Laurel's opening saved my season. I'm sure that 7 Springs management will keep Laurel open as long as feasible but I am also pretty sure that Laurel will run out of paying skiers before they run out of snow.

I'm not here to trash T-line or its owners. We really like the place and I can even deal with slow lifts. 

David
February 22, 2017
2,444 posts

kwillg6 wrote:

Brew skies was not due to anything the mountian di or didn't do.  It was the decision of Mountian State Brewery who hads sponsored the event the last several years.  Perhaps someone else will pick it up and sponsor it at timberline ahich is a great venue for this event.  

Mtn State didn't sponsor it, they actually put it on. They announced a while back that they wanted to take a break and refocus what they were doing as a brewery. They did mention reviving it in some way, shape, or form at some point in the future.

February 23, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Why does the TL website indicate how.many trails are open and further down indicates they are closed!  And some wonder about the name of this thread!

AndyGene
February 25, 2017
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

More good news for Fred and the gang. This was on the Facebook today  

Davis, WV (February 25, 2017)- Timberline Four Seasons Resort will be temporarily closing February 27th ”“ March 2nd, 2017. This decision was made as a measure to prolong the life expectancy of the snow, and an attempt to shift assets toward our most popular period. Going forward we expect to remain open from March 2nd through March 12th. 

In review of our decision to close this past week to refocus our efforts on improving quality of the experience, we have determined that our efforts were successful in preparing the mountain for the optimum ski experience in consideration of the unusually warm spell. 

We apologize to anyone that this decision has inconvenienced; we will refund pre-purchased lift tickets and rentals for those specific days. 

Timberline Four Seasons Resort is a family owned and operated business celebrating our 30th year of skiing in the Potomac Highlands. We offer authentic experiences year-round with scenic hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, skiing and more. 

For more information, visit www.TimberlineResort.com

###

February 26, 2017
925 posts

In all honesty that is probably very resonable.  midweek crowds in warm weather have to be close to zero.  if that can give them another weekend then its its good regardless of how they got to that state.  

David
March 2, 2017
2,444 posts

TomH
March 2, 2017
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts

Explains the large piles of snow on OTW that they are never going to use during ski season:

image1.PNG

3skiwv
March 2, 2017
22 posts
This is beyond pathetic. I have heard grasping at straws but this is unbelievable. Kudos to the employee that must man the Facebook feed. I am waiting for a new pass dubbed the "Once in a lifetime " pass to be offered. For an additional $29.95 on top of the Rad Pass and Doc Pass you can ski for rest of your life!
SCWVA
March 3, 2017
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

TomH wrote:

Explains the large piles of snow on OTW that they are never going to use during ski season:

image1.PNG

Saving OTW for the snowmobile racers.

AndyGene
March 25, 2017
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Just so no one forgets today is the snowmobile races. 

Norsk
March 26, 2017
317 posts

I have no problem criticizing Tline management when justified, but I'm with Chaga on this one.  I took a look at the webcams of the other Mid-A ski resorts which were open yesterday (Snowshoe, Roundtop, Appalachian, and a few others).  Deader than dead.  Just no customers.

Now at risk of creating controversy, isn't one way to look at what Tline has done the past few years this: shorten the season and then sell a value-priced $200 season pass to compensate?  Yes I know that there were almost certainly cash flow reasons for Tline to offer the "Awesome" pass, but from the customer's perspective, isn't that what they have done -- shortened the season and offered a value priced season pass to compensate?

March 26, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

Compared to a number of other mid-Atlantic ski resorts (such as Snowshoe, Wintergreen, Roundtop, Massanutten, etc.) TL never delivered the goods/skiable terrain across most of the mountain, and as late as the third week in March.  Unless it was during one of the few natural deep snow events, TL never came close to getting the entire mountain open.  Surely this hurts those TL homeowners that rent homes to visitors.  Fortunately Canaan Valley Ski Area, while not perfect, upgraded their snowmaking and as a result, their product as well as number of days open.  

mdr227
March 27, 2017
193 posts

I remember many, many years ago we would go out to Timberline or CV the last weekend in March and the whole mountain would be open.   We'd ski often throughout March as they would drop the prices after the first week of March and you'd get a few good weeks in.   There were good crowds, but not too much.    SS would often be open until the first weekend of April.

For whatever reason it seems that even with cold weather and snow retention throughout March that there just is not the demand past mid-March.   Much of it has to do with climate change I am sure and the increasingly warmer Winters overall and earlier Springs, but I am sure there are other reasons.

My two biggest complaints with Timberline this Winter were that they were so late to open given the nice cold spells in December when all of the other resorts were open (they were either the last or one of the last to open) and the fact that they had so few trails from the top of the mountain open at any point this Winter.    I don't think Twister ever opened and usually only one blue from the top.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.