Opening Weekend at Wisp
3 posts
2 users
3k+ views
Punk Wonk Mike
December 15, 2016
Member since 12/3/2016 🔗
21 posts

Wisp has announced their schedule, pricing, and anticipated trails for opening weekend. 

“Maryland’s Wisp Resort will open for the 2016.2017 Winter Season on Friday, December 16, 2016 for skiing and snowboarding from 9am ”“ 5pm thru Monday, December 19.  Beginning Tuesday, December 20, skiing and snowboarding will be available 9am ”“ 9pm thru Saturday, December 31, 2016, then regular season hours will commence.  Standard and Premium Day pricing will be in effect with lift tickets for Friday and Sunday at $59 per day for adults and $49 per day for juniors ages 6 ”“ 12; Saturday’s lift tickets are $79 for adults and $59 for juniors......

We anticipate opening Squirrel Cage, Grouse Way, Wisp Trail, Sunset Blvd and the Wisp Kids Learning Terrain for Opening Day, Friday, December 16.  On Saturday, we will add Central Park Terrain Park along with 8 trails in the North Camp area:  Happy Camper, Big Dipper, Little Dipper, Backbone Pass, Ace’s Run, Whip Saw, Over the Edge and Ridge Run.  More terrain will open as snowmaking progresses,” commented Mountain Operations Director, Artie Speicher. 

No night skiing plus no discount for the limited trails available opening weekend is kind of a bummer, but it's the only chance I have to ski this year until March (possibly at Mt. Hood!) so I'll bite.

wgo
December 15, 2016 (edited December 15, 2016)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

Squirrel Cage plus Ace's/Whipsaw/Over the edge  is a pretty solid selection of runs for opening weekend.

EDIT: just read your post more closely. I agree that $79 to ski the available terrain is pretty steep.

Punk Wonk Mike
December 17, 2016
Member since 12/3/2016 🔗
21 posts

Poor Wisp, Mother Nature wiped out several slopes and caused a delayed opening with freezing rain. They did drop the price of afternoon tickets to $49, so at at least I foot some runs in. Conditions were definitely icey but there were hardly any lines, and the icey nice wasn't that bad, probably because it was around 50 degrees a good portion of the afternoon. Kind of frustrating seeing almost skiable trails close off but I still had a good time. Only six trails were open, but I didn't get bored. The wind on Happy Camper and Backbone Pass was pretty heavy the whole afternoon but not bad elsewhere. 

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.