discounts to Massanutten??!!
11 posts
3 users
5k+ views
wojo
December 31, 2016
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

Anyone know how to get a discounted ticket.  I tried craigslist, ebay, groupon, living social .  .  .   .

Please share if you know of a way. Going to meet my son and daughter in law.  Looking forward to it as I enjoyed the 'Nut the first and only time I went with them.  I do remember if you get above the first lift, you day is much more pleasant!

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 1, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

wojo wrote:

Anyone know how to get a discounted ticket.  I tried craigslist, ebay, groupon, living social .  .  .   .

Please share if you know of a way. Going to meet my son and daughter in law.  Looking forward to it as I enjoyed the 'Nut the first and only time I went with them.  I do remember if you get above the first lift, you day is much more pleasant!

Only true discount I know of is on Monday nights.

If you are skiing consecutive days, and buy a multiday lift ticket then the nights are included (both nights).  On holiday weekends, what I often do when with friends with kids is ski 9:00-11:30, take a long lunch break, and get back on the slopes around 3:00 or 3:30 and ski into the lights until 6:00 or 7:00.

When were you last at Mnut?  The lodge building was renovated before last season.  The umbrella bar on the porch is a fun place to have a drink or something to eat.

If Main Street is open, an alternative way to get to Lift 6 to the summit is to take the shorter beginner lift, then Lift 5 and go skier's left  and cut over on Yee Ha.

wojo
January 2, 2017
333 posts

Great insider tip.  I will be going with someone who will be mostly lift 5 (seemed to keep us above the masses) but I will use that excursion for my trips to the top!  Will tip one back at the Umbrella bar too based on your suggestion.  Thanks.

wgo
January 2, 2017 (edited January 2, 2017)
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Yeah, I always follow the route suggested by Marznc when possible. Looks like we'll get some cold nights the second half of this week, so hopefully the mass transit - yee ha connector can get opened soon. The new slopeside bar and renovated lodge are nice - I did not make it out to Mnut last year so it was nice to see the improvements this year. Marz - when will you be out there next? Was there with my family on Dec 31 and had a good time.
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2017
3,246 posts

The nice part about Lift 5 is that it's possible for a mixed-ability group to ride the same lift but ski different terrain.  Meaning folks who aren't up for skiing from the top can ride together and off-load at Mid-station.  Can either meet at the base of the lift or wait a little ways from Midstation to ski down together.  Just have to agree which way the group wants to go down from Mid-station.

Now that Lift 5 is a triple, the line doesn't get too long even on weekends.  The singles line (far left) can be handy too.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2017
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Yeah, I always follow the route suggested by Marznc when possible. Looks like we'll get some cold nights the second half of this week, so hopefully the mass transit - yee ha connector can get opened soon. The new slopeside bar and renovated lodge are nice - I did not make it out to Mnut last year so it was nice to see the improvements this year. Marz - when will you be out there next? Was there with my family on Dec 31 and had a good time.

I hope to be at Mnut later this week.  Definitely trying to make it for the Demo Weekend Jan. 7-8.

The BBQ pizza turned into my favorite last season.  The renovations were delayed a year because the construction of the new ski school building ran into a few hitches.  The relatively new VP who has Snow Sports on his list of responsibilities is a skier.  Can't hurt when there are ideas put forward to improve the ski hill.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2017
3,246 posts

I had to laugh when the Liftopia Best In Snow lists came out recently.  Mnut was left off the Most Challenging list completely.  Clearly more a function of who filled out the survey and where most people ski in the southeast.  Given that most people on the slopes at Mnut can't ride Lift 6 or ski from the top of Lift 5, they aren't going to consider Mnut has any challenging terrain.  Which is fine with me. ;-)

Mnut was #5 for Least Crowded, just behind Beech.  Maybe, maybe not.

In case you're wondering . . . Canaan Valley was listed as Most Challenging in the SE, over Snowshoe and Tline.  The idea is that votes were "normalized" to give smaller places (based on skier visits) a chance to beat out larger places.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 2, 2017
3,246 posts

wojo wrote:

Great insider tip.  I will be going with someone who will be mostly lift 5 (seemed to keep us above the masses) but I will use that excursion for my trips to the top!  Will tip one back at the Umbrella bar too based on your suggestion.  Thanks.

On most weekends, the parents of the Ski/snowboard teams grill hot dogs and burgers at the base of Lift 6.  As long as you don't mind a port-a-potty, it's possible to avoid the lodge completely at lunch time.

Definitely pays to check downstairs for a quick snack or lunch (cold only) if the upstairs lunch line is long.

There is a restroom on the top floor and the biggest one is on the ground floor.  If planning to head out afterwards on Lift 2 (Geronimo), can ski down past the ramp and leave skis near the door right next to the larger restrooms.

wojo
January 20, 2017
333 posts

Snow report looks terrible for this weekend, any reports from folks on the ground??

Thanks.

wgo
January 20, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

wojo wrote:

Snow report looks terrible for this weekend, any reports from folks on the ground??

Thanks.

I agree the webcams look pretty grim. I was there on Sunday, and the coverage was still good. If I had to guess, I would think that once you got above the green runs coverage would still be OK. But my knowledge is 5 days out of date.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
January 20, 2017
3,246 posts

I was at Massanutten skiing on Monday and Tuesday, Jan. 16-17.  Skiing was really pretty good on Monday, with no crowds at all.  It stayed cloudy so they didn't lose much snow.  Tuesday morning I was surprised how long Paradice stayed frozen.  Even at noon, it was still pretty solid because the snow was relatively deep.  My guess is that the trails will all get narrow but there will be skiing this weekend.  DJ will have thin spots.  Look carefully at the headwall when riding up Lift 6 to see where the snow stops on skiers left.  There were some brown spots on Upper Showtime.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.