Wisp - CLOSED
21 posts
18 users
5k+ views
Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

My buddy lives in Deep Creek and sent me a text that Wisp has closed for the season effective Sunday.

Due to the historic and unseasonably warm rainy weather, snow tubing, ice skating and skiing conditions have deteriorated to a degree that we must close for the season. The forecast for the next several days calls for continued high temperatures in the upper 50’s with more rain. There is no sign of any winter weather over the next several weeks. 
Mountain Park activities (Mountain Coaster, Aerial Ropes Courses, Gem Mining and Archery) will continue to operate on weekends with a schedule to be announced.

Thanks to everyone for making the most of an interesting season.

bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2017
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts

Even Wisp.

Oh no.

Woody

SCWVA
February 27, 2017
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

This doesn't surpise me, skiing doesn't seem to be a big priority for the new Owners.  The were testing and repairing their snowmaking system in mid-December.  They blew enough snow on Main St. to open it well before Christmas, but you couldn't get to it as they hadn't blown any snow on Down Under due to the broken snowmaking pipe below the tunnel.  Wisp has one of the best snowmaking systems around, they chose not to use it this season.

Wonder if the season pass holders are getting a discount, since they were barely open for 11 weeks.

wgo
February 27, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

I've only been to Wisp on one weekend trip but I liked it. Hopefully this season is just an aberration, both for weather and (apparent) priorities.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
jimmy
February 27, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

SCWVA wrote:

This doesn't surpise me, skiing doesn't seem to be a big priority for the new Owners.  The were testing and repairing their snowmaking system in mid-December.  They blew enough snow on Main St. to open it well before Christmas, but you couldn't get to it as they hadn't blown any snow on Down Under due to the broken snowmaking pipe below the tunnel.  Wisp has one of the best snowmaking systems around, they chose not to use it this season.

Wonder if the season pass holders are getting a discount, since they were barely open for 11 weeks.

Interesting question. A friend told me that Elk Mouhntain in Pennsylvania guarantees pass holders 100 days, if they cannot proide 100 open days they pro rate the season and give the passholders a discount. 

ParkCrewDrew
February 27, 2017
Member since 01/24/2014 🔗
125 posts

Ugh I knew some resorts were going to close up last weekend.   The weather has been so bad! 

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

SCWVA wrote:

They should or at least a credit towards next year.  

I know the weather has been rough but closing this early is a cop out.  It was really cold this weekend after that warm up.  And it's supposed to be cold again this weekend.

They could have shut down for the mid week like a few of the others and opened Fri - Sun for the next couple weekends.

I'd be pissed if I were a pass holder or even worse, a homeowner with plans to ski in March.

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
February 27, 2017
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

7S, HV and LM all made snow this past weekend. If I were a season pass holder at Wisp, I would not be a happy camper. Even our local resorts, Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail are still trying to remain open.

SkiBunny
February 28, 2017
Member since 02/13/2014 🔗
18 posts

Not surprised! Since new management took over there have been so many stupid decisions that make us shake our head in disbelief. This year they didn't even try to blow snow and it's a real shame when local places like Whitetail are able to stay open yet Wisp throws in the towel. We were there over MLK weekend and even then it seemed like they weren't trying. Sucks to be a homeowner or passholder, hopefully next year will be better.

Norsk
February 28, 2017
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts

Surely its a bummer that Wisp closed so early.  Still I gotta say, re those hills that are still "open" -- would you really want to ski there?  Have a look at the Whitetail webcams.  Personally I would not pay $5 to "ski" on those tiny ribbons of brown slush.  Far better to save both time and money for a trip to the Northeast or out West.  YMMV I know.

FreshPow
February 28, 2017
Member since 01/2/2008 🔗
174 posts

Norsk wrote:

Still I gotta say, re those hills that are still "open" -- would you really want to ski there?  Have a look at the Whitetail webcams.  Personally I would not pay $5 to "ski" on those tiny ribbons of brown slush.  Far better to save both time and money for a trip to the Northeast or out West.  YMMV I know.

Myself and two friends went up to Whitetail last night, Monday. It was surprisingly fun. No one else there. Exhibition in its rare, rolled format - but the coverage was decent. Soft snow. Rock skis still very much recommended - but that's a given. Far Side and Bold Decision also sporting soft, turnable snow. As a passholder, there admittedly wasn't an additional stop at the ticket window.

Granted, this rain right now and the next few days may kill it, but for a Monday night drive up from home - it was pretty sweet. It will be several months before we can do that again.

PS Wisp is lame even when it's open. Went once. zzzzz....  ;-)

SCWVA
March 1, 2017 (edited March 1, 2017)
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

SCWVA wrote:

This doesn't surpise me, skiing doesn't seem to be a big priority for the new Owners.  .....

Correction:  Per Wisp's website they were only open 72 days.

Wonder how many days the ski areas inTennessee or North Carloina were open

mdr227
March 1, 2017
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts

Aren't Wisp and Wintergreen owned by the same company?   If so Wintergreen did a great job making snow and keeping trail coverage in this crappy Winter and still looks to have some time left before needing to close.    I think the only places that will really survive the week are Wintergreen, Snowshoe, 7 Springs, Hidden Valley and the other PA resorts besides Whitetail.   

As someone said that even if the resorts are open who really wants to pay so much to ski them this time of year when the snow conditions are so bad and it's so warm out.

Just got back from Banff last night were it was no higher than 10 degrees (and often colder) each day we skied at Sunshine and Lake Louise and incredible natural snow conditions.   Talked to a lot of different people from all over the world on the lift rides and all were amazed that we actually ski when there is only snow on the trails and none in between and it's all mostly man made.   I said that's pretty much the life of a skier in the mid-atlantic these days unfortunately.  

snow.buck
March 1, 2017 (edited March 1, 2017)
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

mdr227 wrote:

Just got back from Banff last night ..

Did you get up to the Hot Springs? Ski Mt. Norquay? I remember a trail guide took us down a mogal trail and at the bottom said "look up". OMG - Those were't mogals - they were boulders! LOL They called it the Graveyard I think. Luved Banff ski...and downtown.

mdr227
March 1, 2017
Member since 01/11/2016 🔗
193 posts

Our package with the Banff Springs Hotel had passes to the Hot Springs with it, but between skiing Sunshine twice, Louise once, the Banff Gondola and Dog sledding didn't have time for anything else.   Such an incredibly beautiful area, by far our favorite place to visit (4th time there) and with the good exchange rate great value too in my opinion.   So much different than skiing in Colorado< Utah, etc. where there is no development whatsoever along the slopes or at at the bases, it's all natural.   Great snow quality too even with little snow the last week or so.  

Adamh21 - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2017
Member since 12/4/2008 🔗
26 posts

Liberty closed last week too.

crgildart
March 1, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Appalachian, Beech, and Sugar are stll hanging on.  Placing my bet on Appalachian to be the last one to close this season.

David
March 1, 2017
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

SOO much rain today...

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

mdr227 wrote:

Aren't Wisp and Wintergreen owned by the same company?   If so Wintergreen did a great job making snow and keeping trail coverage in this crappy Winter and still looks to have some time left before needing to close.    I think the only places that will really survive the week are Wintergreen, Snowshoe, 7 Springs, Hidden Valley and the other PA resorts besides Whitetail.   

As someone said that even if the resorts are open who really wants to pay so much to ski them this time of year when the snow conditions are so bad and it's so warm out.

Wintergreen has been changing ownership, but the snowmaking infrastructure that was put in 5-6 years ago is very strong because it includes a lot of automated snowguns plus a 5 million gallon storage tank of pre-cooled water.  So they can make a lot of snow in a very short period of time.

Massanutten has a lot more automated snowguns too compared to 3-4 years ago.  Only reason they were able to make a deep enough base to stay open until March.  The base was >20 inches all during the Pres. Day weekend when temps were in the 60s for several days in a row.  They got one day before that weekend when day time snowmaking was possible, plus a couple nights.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
March 1, 2017
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

Laurel announced that snowmaking will continue and will be open for this weekend for Spring Carnival and Passholders appreciation.

oddballstocks
March 2, 2017
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

Looks like Seven Springs is making a savvy play here.  Here's a tweet they posted: https://twitter.com/7SpringsPA/status/837339067754889216

They call out WISP passholders and say they can use their season pass at Seven Springs on weekends.  Nothing like driving in the spike a little deeper now that WISP closed early.

The resorts aren't that far apart, Google Maps says 1 hour 5m.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.