Heavenly Discount tickets?
7 posts
4 users
5k+ views
wojo
March 7, 2017
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts

Anyone know of any deals to get discounts for Heavenly?  Grocery stores etc out that way.  Not seeing much on line.  Going mid March, can't wait.

Any other hints on great restaurants or secret stashes are appreciated.

Thanks.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Sent you a PM.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
March 9, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I sent the info below to wojo by PM.  There is really no reason why it can't be on the forum.  Perhaps others can use it.

"I’d gladly meet you there and get you a season pass holders buddy ticket at half price.  But, alas I can’t.  When I had the shoulder surgery I got a refund on my season pass..  it is a vail resort so deals other than the buddy pass are difficult or non existent.  ’On the snow’, and the ”˜central Sierra avalanche center’ probably have the best deals.  I haven’t skied much at heavenly and don’t much care for it.  It is not a hard core mountain but rather aimed at the intermediate family week a year vacationer.  This has a real advantage for a tree skier.  There is little competition for it and good lightly tracked trees alongside and between blue runs are everywhere.  Food and drink on the mountain are pricey.  $12 for a draft beer at the 9200 ft. Bar on the mountain.  $3.50 - 5 at the base of the gondola.  I like the happy hour beer and limited HH food menu at the Stateline brewpub.  Bar stools are pretty easy to get in late afternoon.  Tables harder.  On the regular menu the fish and chips is great and 1 order easily satisfies 2 adults.  Other cheap eats I like are Big Daddy’s burgers and blue dog pizza.  Fancier places I like are Riva Grill and capisce in zephyr cove, NV.

s. Lake is a summer town with an excess of cheap lodging in winter.  None of the motels are fancy but if you just want to ski, eat, sleep, you can do fine for ~$70/night.  I’ve used knights inn a few times, but usually stay free with a friend in NV.  You can park free in the back of Harrah’s parking lot, a short walk from the gondola.  Raley’s lot will tow if you’re there over 2 hours.  There are no cubbies, or hooks, or cheap day lockers.  It’s Vail.  Lockers are $8/day.  I carry a backpack, put my shoes, in it and ski with it.  I boot up in the gondola.  There’s plenty of time.  If you feel like exploring, Mt. Rose and Diamond peak on the east side of the lake are probably worth a look and much cheaper.  They are reached via US50 and NV28.  CA89 on the west side if the lake is closed this winter, putting Squaw, Alpine, Homewood, out of easy reach.  Sierra is the easiest place to get to other than Heavenly and much more reasonably priced.  I believe there is a shuttle bus from S Lake.  There is some fine skiing there just a much smaller trail count."

David
March 9, 2017
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts

Denis wrote:

$12 for a draft beer at the 9200 ft. Bar on the mountain.  $3.50 - 5 at the base of the gondola.

But the view is so nice! 

Crush
March 9, 2017 (edited March 9, 2017)
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

David wrote:

Denis wrote:

$12 for a draft beer at the 9200 ft. Bar on the mountain.  $3.50 - 5 at the base of the gondola.

But the view is so nice! 

Yes, they sure are - we just put in a contigency offer on a condo in Inclinve Village we'll see what happens! Meanwhile over in Heavenly  :

wojo
March 19, 2017
333 posts

Denis, great advice.  we hope to hit Stateline tomorrow.  Two days in and plenty of hero snow on the hill.  Great spring conditions.  Expecting snow Tues/Wed!

Tree skiing is great!  Thanks for the dining hints.

Denis wrote:

I sent the info below to wojo by PM.  There is really no reason why it can't be on the forum.  Perhaps others can use it.

"I’d gladly meet you there and get you a season pass holders buddy ticket at half price.  But, alas I can’t.  When I had the shoulder surgery I got a refund on my season pass..  it is a vail resort so deals other than the buddy pass are difficult or non existent.  ’On the snow’, and the ”˜central Sierra avalanche center’ probably have the best deals.  I haven’t skied much at heavenly and don’t much care for it.  It is not a hard core mountain but rather aimed at the intermediate family week a year vacationer.  This has a real advantage for a tree skier.  There is little competition for it and good lightly tracked trees alongside and between blue runs are everywhere.  Food and drink on the mountain are pricey.  $12 for a draft beer at the 9200 ft. Bar on the mountain.  $3.50 - 5 at the base of the gondola.  I like the happy hour beer and limited HH food menu at the Stateline brewpub.  Bar stools are pretty easy to get in late afternoon.  Tables harder.  On the regular menu the fish and chips is great and 1 order easily satisfies 2 adults.  Other cheap eats I like are Big Daddy’s burgers and blue dog pizza.  Fancier places I like are Riva Grill and capisce in zephyr cove, NV.

s. Lake is a summer town with an excess of cheap lodging in winter.  None of the motels are fancy but if you just want to ski, eat, sleep, you can do fine for ~$70/night.  I’ve used knights inn a few times, but usually stay free with a friend in NV.  You can park free in the back of Harrah’s parking lot, a short walk from the gondola.  Raley’s lot will tow if you’re there over 2 hours.  There are no cubbies, or hooks, or cheap day lockers.  It’s Vail.  Lockers are $8/day.  I carry a backpack, put my shoes, in it and ski with it.  I boot up in the gondola.  There’s plenty of time.  If you feel like exploring, Mt. Rose and Diamond peak on the east side of the lake are probably worth a look and much cheaper.  They are reached via US50 and NV28.  CA89 on the west side if the lake is closed this winter, putting Squaw, Alpine, Homewood, out of easy reach.  Sierra is the easiest place to get to other than Heavenly and much more reasonably priced.  I believe there is a shuttle bus from S Lake.  There is some fine skiing there just a much smaller trail count."

wojo
March 26, 2017
333 posts

I had a great ski trip to Lake Tahoe with with some friends who have a time share off of Stagecoach lift. I got in 5 days at Heavenly (and it was . . . heavenly). Two really nice spring skiing days with plenty of tree runs and one late afternoon run down Mott Canyon (an hour later than I should taken Mott, heavy snow and tired legs did not make for the best run). Spent time in NV and CA on those days.

Day 3 was a trip to Virginia City and it was worth it, stopped for a beer in Genoa at the oldest saloon in NV and a big win at the penny slots.

Day 4 was for hard core skiers only. Damp heavy snow on the bottom of the Stagecoach lift, wonderful pow pow at the top, 20K feet of vertical with 50 of my other hard core associates (rest of NV lifts were on wind hold and a CA lift or two may have been open but I could not make it there).

Day 5 was great pow boot top deep with plenty of tree runs, low angle runs, groomers (one of the best days ever). Day 6 was a blue bird day with a gondola trip, skiing groomers in CA in the morning a nice lunch break for smushed PB&J and groomers in NV in the afternoon.

What a great trip!! The resort is Advance Intermediate except for Mott and Killebrew Canyon.  Essentially limitless entertainment and lodging options and pretty good public transportation make it a good place to go to with a group of non-hardcore skiers.  It took a whole day to get to Tahoe from DC area tho' which you need to keep in your calculations.

Favorite runs were Orion (with a shout out to Sonny), Maggies Canyon, and Dipper Woods.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?