Skiing this Friday with an 8 y/o beginner
3 posts
2 users
2k+ views
wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
March 8, 2017
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I'm planning on surprising my 8 year old son with a ski day on Friday. He's only been to the Whitetail ski class once, so he'll need ski school.

I haven't been on the slopes in 2 years. I miss it. Bad.

I have been thinking Camelback because I'm quite familiar with it, a bit nostalgic and it's pretty far north. Does anybody know if they are still making snow? They haven't responded to my tweet from earlier today. Overall, I find it harder to get information about the Poconos than the Alleghenies.

Then I saw this: Snow expected for the midstate on Friday

That's tempting of course, because I could go first thing to Roundtop on Friday morning rather than Thursday night. How is the base? I'm of the opinion 2-3 inches of fresh snow probably makes up for a lot, right?

What would you do?

rbrtlav
March 8, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Roundtop says they will be making snow Friday and Saturday. If that is the closest place to you I would do that. Looked like they had a solid base on Sunday. The cams there show a decent amount, so take a look at them tomorrow afternoon. 

Also...if he is going to stay in the beginners area look at the "learn to ski package" I believe you can get a mountain passport for next season at this point, which is a great deal. I've never been to camelback, but for beginners the snowtime resorts IMO are the best option, largely because the beginning areas are somewhat separate from everything else.

wfyurasko - DCSki Supporter 
March 11, 2017
Member since 07/27/2014 🔗
353 posts

I wound up at Blue Mountain, because other places were booked for ski lesson reservations. I'll probably write it up on Monday.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?