Own at Silver Creek Lodge?
13 posts
6 users
5k+ views
Bindings
March 15, 2017
Member since 03/14/2017 🔗
3 posts
Am contemplating buying at Silver Creek Lodge and am seeking input, particularly about the HOA. This will be a place I'll enjoy bringing my dog (one of the few places that allow that) and have up for rent when I'm not there. Have seen the numbers on the HOA fees and am puzzled by how much higher they are than, for example, Mountain Lodge. Does anyone know if those fees are likely to change in either direction in the coming years? Thanks.
Sschneid
March 15, 2017
Member since 03/22/2015 🔗
50 posts

They did a major exterior renovation a few years ago and have high HOA fees.  It's an older building with a lot of maintenance costs.  What are your priorities and I can point you to the right development at snowshoe.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2017 (edited March 15, 2017)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

FWIW, we at Mtn Lodge are debating a pet policy this weekend.  Straw pool leans against

Note that SC rental season is shorter as they open a week or 2 later than the basin and also close a week or 2 earlier.  

Also - all the summer activities seem to focus near the village so that is a factor if you are interested in summer rentals.

Real Estate 101 (not being smart here) Location, location, location.  Snowshoe favors the village properties and drives the traffic that way with concerts, ski school,  etc...

You can get some decent deals on village properties and don't buy now and carry it all summer.  Deals will be had in the fall.  Fed raised interest rates today!    

Sschneid
March 15, 2017
50 posts

I dunno - village properties have crazy high HOA.

for pets, low cost and still walking distance to village I like shamrock, summit or powder ridge .  Most in village are not pet friendly. 

Summer rentals don't pay the bills regardless.

Bonzski
March 15, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Go to Misty's  (bar at SC) and talk to bartender Sam.  He's on HOA board and will answer all your Qs.

Bindings
March 15, 2017
3 posts
My preference would be for Mountain Lodge IF dogs were allowed, because of its proximity to the slopes and the village, and its ability to generate rent when I'm not there. I just need an adequate place to cook meals and to rest my head between days of skiing. It's not just about the numbers and not just about having a place that suits me--it's a combination of both. Having spent a few thousand over the years to stay there, and seeing g property values appearing to be at or near a bottom, and having wanted a place there that would be mine and where I could bring Fido without sneaking him like a teenager sneaks beer, the timing seems right to buy.
jimw
March 16, 2017 (edited March 16, 2017)
Member since 02/2/2015 🔗
113 posts

I would consider Mtn Lodge if they allowed pets.  Summit allows pets but only for the owners not renters.  My buddy is going to buy at Creekside which is nice for the money.

BTW I've been up at SS the last two days for the storm and the conditions are awesome.  Props to SS for being comitted, sitll making snow as of yesterday and reopening Silver Creek this weekend.    Back to to work for now but may have to go back this weekend.  

Bindings
March 16, 2017
3 posts

jimw wrote:

I would consider Mtn Lodge if they allowed pets.  Summit allows pets but only for the owners not renters.  My buddy is going to buy at Creekside which is nice for the money.

BTW I've been up at SS the last two days for the storm and the conditions are awesome.  Props to SS for being comitted, sitll making snow as of yesterday and reopening Silver Creek this weekend.    Back to to work for now but may have to go back this weekend.  

Schneid, am doing more research on the Silver Creek HOA and may find the answer to this question on my own, but do you know how long the SC HOA fees will remain high to pay for the improvements? Usually HOA fees for such things eventually drop dramatically when they've been paid off, unless another capital project is approved. Blue Don, your point about location wouldn't sound so familiar if it didn't have validity. Will the ML HOA actually be taking a vote on pets this weekend? If so, would you mind posting the results, or sharing where they could be found? All, thanks so much for the input. Am new to this forum (and like it!) and received an email with a link to pick up a private message but the link didn't work. If whoever sent it sees this, please message me again. Thanks.
March 16, 2017
1,580 posts

@bindings - happy to share but I believe it's in it's infancy and most are against it.  We are long time dog owners but I understand the resistance from non pet owners.

Regarding assessments - ALL buildings will eventually have an assessment.  Roofs / parking lots / siding do not last forever just like our personal homes.  ML is in a study phase of a new exterior.  It WILL happen and it WONT be cheap.  Usually these are funded via a HOA loan and last about 5 yrs for major cap improvements. 

Sschneid
March 16, 2017
50 posts

No clue re: silver creek and how long It will take off to pay capital investments. Some homeowners there will have a better indication. For what it's worth, I have no regrets in buying on the mountain.  Higher costs and less rental income than expected, but also happier than expected.  Summer is great - enjoy it just as much as winter.

yellowsnow
March 17, 2017
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

You'll get good anecdotal information from a message board like this, but if you want the real facts and details about HOA fees, plans, etc contact the HOA office directly.

Ask for the package of information called The Resale Certificate.  Per West Virginia law, this is required to include all the financial information on the HOA including the current annual budget, current dues and any other fees the owner must pay, a 5 year projection of future revenue (including dues), expenses and owner reserves, a 5 year capital plan for major maintenance and improvements, any active or pending lawsuits (for or against),  insurance coverage, a copy of the Declaration, the Bylaws, and any Rules and Regulations, plus a number of other things.

The catch is you may have to pay a nominal fee for copying costs, unless this information is available on line.

If they tell you they never heard of this then look elsewhere.

yellowsnow
March 17, 2017
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts

yellowsnow wrote:

You'll get good anecdotal information from a message board like this, but if you want the real facts and details about HOA fees, plans, etc contact the HOA office directly.

Ask for the package of information called The Resale Certificate.  Per West Virginia law, this is required to include all the financial information on the HOA including the current annual budget, current dues and any other fees the owner must pay, a 5 year projection of future revenue (including dues), expenses and owner reserves, a 5 year capital plan for major maintenance and improvements, any active or pending lawsuits (for or against),  insurance coverage, a copy of the Declaration, the Bylaws, and any Rules and Regulations, plus a number of other things.

The catch is you may have to pay a nominal fee for copying costs, unless this information is available on line.

If they tell you they never heard of this then look elsewhere.

Clarification:  The property must be a condominium for these requirements to apply.

March 20, 2017
1,580 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

@bindings - happy to share but I believe it's in it's infancy and most are against it.  We are long time dog owners but I understand the resistance from non pet owners.

Mtn Lodge will take a vote this off season as to allowing pets for OWNERS only.  Each unit will have a vote.  If affirmed, they will craft a pet policy similar to some other associations.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?