Our tall tales involve tall mountains.
Home
Intrawest sold
16 posts from 10 users
Updated 8 days ago
Jump to Newest Post
15 days ago

This is interesting… not sure what it means for the MaxPass i(or ridiculous pass) in the future.

https://www.pehub.com/2017/04/aspen-skiing-ksl-capital-to-buy/#

14 days ago

I can see this being a good thing if they can figure out how to get more trails cut on the western territory.  I can also see this being a good thing if they can figure out how to make the lift line not suck at the ballhooter.

In reality, I’m sure both of these issues will exist for years to come.  But one can hope.

14 days ago

AndyGene wrote:

In reality, I’m sure both of these issues will exist for years to come.  But one can hope.

plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose

14 days ago

Ski Magazine has a Facebook post/story that describes the Aspen and KLM $1.5B purchase of Intrawest assets, including Snowshoe.  It indicates that the Rocky Mt. Super Pass and the MAX pass will be honored next season.  A new investment group will be formed for the new combined holdings.  Assuming this is being done to compete with Vail’s holdings and EPIC Pass it should mean good things for Snowshoe and the other results.  It might take a bit of time to materialize since the deal probably won’t go “FINAL” until this coming fall.  Cross your fingers for the revolutionary Ridiculous Pass to continue vice an only option for a SS season pass being an expensive EPIC like pass at 3 times the cost of a Ridiculous Pass.  

MorganB

14 days ago

Wow this is big news. We are passholders at snowshoe, but our favorite destination resort is aspen so it will be interesting to see how it shakes out. I love the ridiculous pass so I really hope that sticks around. Intrawest was a big corporation and they seemed to treat each property individually or to let the management of each resort run things as they thought best. We love aspen and winter park, so some love from them would be nice!

14 days ago

Looks like Aspen Ski Co. wasn’t the only busy one today.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/04/cnl-properties-sells-14-ski-areas

14 days ago

I received an email from Intrawest about the merger.  Very interesting.  It indicated that Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows would be a part of the merger due to its association to KSL.

MorganB

14 days ago

The Colonel wrote:

Ski Magazine has a Facebook post/story that describes the Aspen and KLM $1.5B purchase of Intrawest assets, including Snowshoe.  It indicates that the Rocky Mt. Super Pass and the MAX pass will be honored next season.  A new investment group will be formed for the new combined holdings.  Assuming this is being done to compete with Vail’s holdings and EPIC Pass it should mean good things for Snowshoe and the other results.  It might take a bit of time to materialize since the deal probably won’t go “FINAL” until this coming fall.  Cross your fingers for the revolutionary Ridiculous Pass to continue vice an only option for a SS season pass being an expensive EPIC like pass at 3 times the cost of a Ridiculous Pass.  

MorganB

link to ski mag story:  http://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/latestmergerrocksskiindustry?utm_source=WedNewsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=Story1&utm_campaign=041017

13 days ago

This gives some insight to ASC and KSL history leading up to the sale….

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/10/intrawest-aspen-ksl-capital/

13 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

Maybe Frank landed his cash cow for the Boathouse to Silver Creek gondola ??????

PS - Enjoy Mammoth.  I’m sure you will text Chris and I pics so we can hate you - HAHA!! 

12 days ago

They aren’t done with their shopping spree yet. They just purchased Mammoth Resorts. It includes Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Snow Summit, and Bear Mountain. They are all California ski areas. 

12 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

Maybe Frank landed his cash cow for the Boathouse to Silver Creek gondola ??????

PS - Enjoy Mammoth.  I’m sure you will text Chris and I pics so we can hate you - HAHA!! 

I think that and other captial improvements are immenent.

Hater pics will follow!

12 days ago

msprings wrote:

They aren’t done with their shopping spree yet. They just purchased Mammoth Resorts. It includes Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Snow Summit, and Bear Mountain. They are all California ski areas. 

Holy Smokes

http://www.aspendailynews.com/section/home/174988

12 days ago

The bubble grows.  IMHO it will burst sooner than people think.

12 days ago

I was talking to somebody about this on Monday. In this portfolio it seems like Snowshoe and Blue Mountain are probably the smallest and least profitable resorts in this group. However I would imagine that due to the Ridiculous Pass the amount of season passes that Snowshoe sells is competetive with the other resorts in this portfolio (just a guess… if somebody has numbers that would be nice) which gives them opprotunity to hook other people in. IMO if snowshoe sold a Winter Park/Stratton/Steamboat/etc 3 for all like pass only at the depot to season pass holders, that would be a better add on than the Max Pass. (Get people to pay lodging once at Snowshoe, and then hook them for another trip) 

Snowshoe is the most visited ski resort in the Southeastern US, and I suspect by a very large margin. Hopefully SkiCo will at least invest as much as Intrawest has and use what they have to thier advantage. If they look at the past history of the resort they will likely realize that elimintating the “Ridiculous” Pass is not the best option… but hopefully they can give those of us that are willing to call it our home mountain the Value Pass… while also using it as a gateway to ski the other resorts where they can make more $$$ off us while not alienating the families and groups that have made Snowshoe the destination for their annual trip.

I was really hoping Intrawest would hold on to Snowshoe a bit longer… but at 1.5B I would have sold too. (Whistler was 1.2b) Hopefully they will see Snowshoe as the largest resort in the Southeast and invest in it accordingly. Best way to get people from the East to go out west is to get them hooked on the sport near where they live.

I’ll keep a positive attitude on this one…. but I’ll take a sigh of relief if I see the Ridiculous pass email in my inbox again in Febuary 2018… and maybe with an offer for a super charged mountain collective pass. (even though the Max Pass is MUCH better for New England…) 

8 days ago

No changes in terms of season passes or multi-resort pass agreements or senior management are expected for the upcoming 2017-18 season.  But for the following season, certainly expect differences for those who buy Snowshoe season passes or the multi-resort passes the currently include one or more of the mountains involved (MCP, MAX Pass, RMSP+).

The complete list:

• Squaw Valley, CA
  • Alpine Meadows, CA
  • Big Bear Mountain, CA
  • Snow Summit, CA
  • June Mountain, CA
  • Mammoth Mountain, CA
  • Steamboat, CO
  • Winter Park, CO
  • Aspen Mountain aka Ajax, CO
  • Snowmass, CO
  • Buttermilk, CO
  • Aspen Highlands, CO
  • Blue Mountain, ON
  • Tremblant, QC
  • Stratton, VT
  • Snowshoe, WV

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Sharpen your edges. And pencils.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.20 seconds