State of the Shoe
25 posts
7 users
5k+ views
Sschneid
May 31, 2017
Member since 03/22/2015 🔗
50 posts

did anyone go this year over memorial day?  Can someone summarize?

rbrtlav
May 31, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Here is my summary.... I'll disclose there might be some opinions in here but I tried to mark them, and didn't really put any "rumors"

As far as state of the shoe’

- Discussion on the RAD was about 15-20 mins of the meeting: Feel free to PM if you want more details on this or see http://www.snowshoerad.com (There are plenty of politics here that I don't want to start)

- Aspen Sale”¦ everybody I talked to this weekend from Frank at the state of the shoe’ to bike instructors, patrol, bartenders all seemed VERY happy about the sale”¦ I’m hopefully optimistic here. Frank did say the CEO of Aspen did ride Powder Monkey on a busy Friday and has seen plenty of pictures of Ballhooter and Powder Monkey on the weekends. Money is clearly not flying free right now as the sale is in progress. It sounds like a Boathouse replacement (which I have heard from a few sources in well in design) and a replacement Powder Monkey are the highest priority

- Resort was in the black despite the winter being warm”¦ many people complimented the work of Ken and his crew. 

- Summer seems to be bringing in more income”¦ 33 weddings booked this year compared to 8 last year. Bike park is getting national attention. (Which was an absolute blast this weekend despite the mud) 

- I thought in general people were more positive this year than last year”¦ we will see what the Aspen sale brings.I’m skeptically optimistic here”¦ seeing a slide at the next meeting with a rendering of a new high speed lift and boathouse rendering would be great. 

- Winter 2017/2018 will likely have the same 3 for All passes and Dynamic Pricing that they used this year (along with the max pass and season passes already sold/for sale) ”¦ after that is sounds like we can expect some changes in passes. I suspect there will be some for of ridiculous pass in the future (my opinion)”¦. but maybe other offerings for multi resort beyond the max pass. (This is purely speculation”¦. but its clear the success of the Ridiculous Pass has been crucial to the resort)

- Other observations”¦ Depot interior was redone, looks nice and they added 2 exterior ticket windows to use on busy days. (Although stading outside to buy tickets in the village seems less than ideal, its something to clean up the line). New trail signs”¦ not sure I like the new font, but look new and clean. Looks like they did some work on the lower terminal of Ballhooter, I can’t tell if it was just a major cleaning or something else, but a few others agreed that something looked different and new snowmaking pipe was going down on hootenany, I think it might just be slight capacity improvement, but keeping the system on good shape is nice to see. 

eggraid
June 1, 2017
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Here is my summary.... I'll disclose there might be some opinions in here but I tried to mark them, and didn't really put any "rumors"

As far as state of the shoe’

- Discussion on the RAD was about 15-20 mins of the meeting: Feel free to PM if you want more details on this or see http://www.snowshoerad.com (There are plenty of politics here that I don't want to start)

- Aspen Sale”¦ everybody I talked to this weekend from Frank at the state of the shoe’ to bike instructors, patrol, bartenders all seemed VERY happy about the sale”¦ I’m hopefully optimistic here. Frank did say the CEO of Aspen did ride Powder Monkey on a busy Friday and has seen plenty of pictures of Ballhooter and Powder Monkey on the weekends. Money is clearly not flying free right now as the sale is in progress. It sounds like a Boathouse replacement (which I have heard from a few sources in well in design) and a replacement Powder Monkey are the highest priority

- Resort was in the black despite the winter being warm”¦ many people complimented the work of Ken and his crew. 

- Summer seems to be bringing in more income”¦ 33 weddings booked this year compared to 8 last year. Bike park is getting national attention. (Which was an absolute blast this weekend despite the mud) 

- I thought in general people were more positive this year than last year”¦ we will see what the Aspen sale brings.I’m skeptically optimistic here”¦ seeing a slide at the next meeting with a rendering of a new high speed lift and boathouse rendering would be great. 

- Winter 2017/2018 will likely have the same 3 for All passes and Dynamic Pricing that they used this year (along with the max pass and season passes already sold/for sale) ”¦ after that is sounds like we can expect some changes in passes. I suspect there will be some for of ridiculous pass in the future (my opinion)”¦. but maybe other offerings for multi resort beyond the max pass. (This is purely speculation”¦. but its clear the success of the Ridiculous Pass has been crucial to the resort)

- Other observations”¦ Depot interior was redone, looks nice and they added 2 exterior ticket windows to use on busy days. (Although stading outside to buy tickets in the village seems less than ideal, its something to clean up the line). New trail signs”¦ not sure I like the new font, but look new and clean. Looks like they did some work on the lower terminal of Ballhooter, I can’t tell if it was just a major cleaning or something else, but a few others agreed that something looked different and new snowmaking pipe was going down on hootenany, I think it might just be slight capacity improvement, but keeping the system on good shape is nice to see. 

Thanks for the summary! Why redo the Boathouse? That seems kind of weird to me. That's great that they still did OK with the terrible weather, I wonder how many other mid-atlantic areas ran a profit? I wouldn't mind standing in an outdoor line for tix at the Depot, I hate getting dressed, going in there and having to undo all the layers. 

rbrtlav
July 1, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

eggraid wrote:

Thanks for the summary! Why redo the Boathouse? That seems kind of weird to me. That's great that they still did OK with the terrible weather, I wonder how many other mid-atlantic areas ran a profit? I wouldn't mind standing in an outdoor line for tix at the Depot, I hate getting dressed, going in there and having to undo all the layers. 

The boathouse is a zoo during the winter weekends, and the restrooms desparatly need to be enlarged. Walking to the other restrooms by the bottom of grabhammer in ski boots is awful, and I dont think many people know about them anyway. The boathouse is used year round, and a new building there seems like a solid investment.

Also, the pizza place has been moved from the Highland House to what used to be the mexican place in Allegany, looks like they did a nice refacing of the interior, and the enlarged space will probably be a nice improvement. FWIW, they have 4 weddings up here this weekend and there are actually a decent number of people here for the summer.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Bonzski
July 3, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

and new snowmaking pipe was going down on hootenany, I think it might just be slight capacity improvement, but keeping the system on good shape is nice to see. 

They finished it today.  Lifty said it's for snowmaking.  Steel pipe about 12 inch dia.

eggraid
July 5, 2017
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Looks like we were all there this weekend! My son and I did a lot of mtn biking at snowshoe and over at Silver Creek as well. It was the most crowded I've ever seen it in the summer, the beach on the lake was absolutely packed. I rode one time with a guy who is in charge of the summer adventure camps, he said they have been very successful this summer, he thinks because the kids adventure camp activities were included free if you book through snowshoe. The musicians they had in the village were great. I'm always surprised that they are allowed to do fireworks. It seems like it would really bother the wildlife.

Bonzski
July 5, 2017 (edited July 5, 2017)
652 posts

eggraid wrote:

Looks like we were all there this weekend! My son and I did a lot of mtn biking at snowshoe and over at Silver Creek as well. It was the most crowded I've ever seen it in the summer, the beach on the lake was absolutely packed. I rode one time with a guy who is in charge of the summer adventure camps, he said they have been very successful this summer, he thinks because the kids adventure camp activities were included free if you book through snowshoe. The musicians they had in the village were great. I'm always surprised that they are allowed to do fireworks. It seems like it would really bother the wildlife.

I hiked the atv/moto race trail loop around silver creek yesterday and noticed the mountaineer and cascade lifts' chairs and towers got a new coat of paint.  Good to see those old lifts being maintained.

The beach was crowded Monday...wait line for life jackets!  They expanded the beach area so it was difficult finding a spot to plop down. Noticed they also added a few more float options (large SUPs, more canoes, etc).  Always fun to experience the fireworks near eye level.

rbrtlav
July 5, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Saturday and Sunday were community appreciation days... I think Pocahontas County residents got a free "fun pass" which included the lake, pool and zip line from what I understand. That being said the place was decently busy Monday and the bike park, which was not included in the fun pass has also been decently busy.

Bonzski
July 9, 2017
652 posts

Showed up early for the Gin Blossoms concert to a welcomed surprise..New Relics (from Morgantown) opening up!

rbrtlav
July 9, 2017 (edited July 9, 2017)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Showed up early for the Gin Blossoms concert to a welcomed surprise..New Relics (from Morgantown) opening up!

Hands down the best Beats On the Basin yet! (IMO) Both bands were alot of fun..even through the random 10 min downpour.

Looks like Tim Reynolds from Dave Mathews will be opening for a to be announced band for Freefall fest on labor day weekend... this summer it seems like they are trying to get people up there. There is also a full (18 hole I think) disk golf course down by the lake that seems to be new.

eggraid
July 13, 2017
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

Bonzski wrote:

Hands down the best Beats On the Basin yet! (IMO) Both bands were alot of fun..even through the random 10 min downpour.

Looks like Tim Reynolds from Dave Mathews will be opening for a to be announced band for Freefall fest on labor day weekend... this summer it seems like they are trying to get people up there. There is also a full (18 hole I think) disk golf course down by the lake that seems to be new.

I saw a couple of holes there! Where is the first tee? 

I'm not a Gin Blossoms fan, so we skipped the concert. Anyone headed up this weekend? 

rbrtlav
July 15, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

eggraid wrote:

I'm not a Gin Blossoms fan, so we skipped the concert. Anyone headed up this weekend? 

Its near the bike skill park behind the playground. The have frizbees and I believe scorecards at the outpost by the lake.

eggraid
July 20, 2017
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

eggraid wrote:

Its near the bike skill park behind the playground. The have frizbees and I believe scorecards at the outpost by the lake.

I don't need frisbees, I've got my own discs ;-). 

I also had a lift ride with the head of the ski/snowboard school, she said her dream was to move everything to Silver Creek, and then build an indoor facility there with foam pits, etc. Any chance Aspen would do that? :)

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
July 20, 2017
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

eggraid wrote:

I also had a lift ride with the head of the ski/snowboard school, she said her dream was to move everything to Silver Creek, and then build an indoor facility there with foam pits, etc. Any chance Aspen would do that? :)

Haha - Did you tell her people in hell want ice water?  

SS should have a 50 item to do list and the first 49 items should figuring out a way to fix the backlog / choke point at Ballhooter.

pagamony - DCSki Supporter 
July 20, 2017 (edited July 20, 2017)
Member since 02/23/2005 🔗
925 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

eggraid wrote:

Haha - Did you tell her people in hell want ice water?  

SS should have a 50 item to do list and the first 49 items should figuring out a way to fix the backlog / choke point at Ballhooter.

I think a couple of rope tows back up to the cross over trail (nanahooty or something) would fix that as we could ski down to the grabhammer and monkeypowder area.  Or a new 12 passenger lift.  Or a gondola over to Silver Creek.  How about a water ski tow across the lake?  Party bus with hot chicks and drinks.  Just anything.  

rbrtlav
July 20, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

pagamony wrote:

How about a water ski tow across the lake?  

I have heard from multiple people that there will be a cable wakeboarding park in the lake next summer (not being sarcastic). If true hopefully they do it right, because a good implemetation of this would be a ton of fun.

In regards to Ballhooter: Despite having one of the best lift systems in the region IMO. (I just avoid the Ballhooter/Powder Monkey mess on weekends, there are ways around it that arent horribly difficult) The author of this post below seems to think they have the weakest lift system in the Intrawest part of the sale. I would assume the reference to "Monrningstar" means "Mountaineer" as I believe "Mountaineer" is the same type of lift as "Cascade". However, it reslly seems like Intrawest was more on top of the lift situation than the Mammoth owned resorts, so hopefully that doesnt delay funding.

https://liftblog.com/2017/04/24/if-aspen-ksl-go-lift-shopping-what-will-they-buy/

Bonzski
July 21, 2017 (edited July 21, 2017)
652 posts

At the top of the list is a new/larger Boathouse to act as the anchor for expanded options for lake activities (summer) and a gondy to Silver Creek (winter).

snow.buck
July 21, 2017 (edited July 22, 2017)
Member since 12/12/2009 🔗
202 posts

Just wondered: where's all the $$$ coming from to do all these big projects? It's not like they can raise the already high Lift Tickets or hit the Homeowners with even higher Mountain Tax or add even more taxes to the Guests!

July 23, 2017
925 posts

rbrtlav wrote:

I have heard from multiple people that there will be a cable wakeboarding park in the lake next summer (not being sarcastic).

Bonzski wrote:

At the top of the list is a new/larger Boathouse to act as the anchor for expanded options for lake activities (summer) and a gondy to Silver Creek (winter).

hahahahaa, i was just screwing around I got two right already.   wahooo.  where's the party bus ?

July 24, 2017
1,580 posts

I googled Snowshoe Party Bus - Looks like the ladies are one step ahead

https://www.gigmasters.com/search/bachelorette-party-bus-snowshoe-wv

July 24, 2017
925 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

oh my god I am changing my hande to Snowstradamus.  This is tood good.  I'm not clicking on the quote button while I am at work.  

Bonzski
July 24, 2017
652 posts

pagamony wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

oh my god I am changing my hande to Snowstradamus.  This is tood good.  I'm not clicking on the quote button while I am at work.  

Wait sec, is this another BD brilliant business venture to fill his condos.  Count me in!

July 24, 2017
1,580 posts

Bonzski wrote:

Wait sec, is this another BD brilliant business venture to fill his condos.  Count me in!

HAHA - maybe we should credit Manish for that venture.

PS - Blues N Brews in less than 3 weeks.

rbrtlav
September 1, 2017 (edited September 1, 2017)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

They purchased a new haul line for Ballhooter. Not sure if they are replacing it this week after the bike park goes back to weekends only, or waiting until after the bike park closes for the season Oct 1. 

September 18, 2017
1,580 posts

Mr DeBerry spoke at our HOA meeting this past weekend.  Generally very enthusiastic about what lies ahead.  Not much planned for this coming season

Just a few quick notes:

* SS will be presenting a 5 yr capital improvement plan to the new owners fairly soon - no details discussed.

* Focus on improved snow making to allow more open sooner was top priority.

* Very happy with the new ownership group.

* Building more summer programs

He gave a shout out to DCSki during our meeting noting our commentary on ideas / recommendations / rumors.  Good to see they are listening.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.