Indoor Skiing coming soon near you
9 posts
7 users
4k+ views
phil77
June 23, 2017
Member since 01/8/2010 🔗
4 posts

Not quite Ski Dubai, but interesting nonetheless. From the Pro-Fit folks...

http://insideski.com/

snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
June 24, 2017
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

Bare Hills Athletic Club in north Baltimore back in the early 1990's had s similar facility. I took a few lessons on the rotating carpet slope. It was fun. A facility like this may be more appropriate at a ski shop. Bare Hills was a tennis and athletic club. I wish them success.

Crush
June 24, 2017
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts

Ha! I remember back around 1991 there was a gym near Sliver Spring or someplace close that had one of those and I tried it. The friction coefficient was rather high and there was no way to get anything like a carve going - good for a person who wants to work on skidding recreational turn as any little pressure problem is amplified. You can actually get a little bit of a feel for rebound and a hint of cross-overr but that is pretty much it. Outside of that, you'd be better off with a Skier's Edge.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
June 24, 2017 (edited June 24, 2017)
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

Crush wrote:

Ha! I remember back around 1991 there was a gym near Sliver Spring or someplace close that had one of those and I tried it. The friction coefficient was rather high and there was no way to get anything like a carve going - good for a person who wants to work on skidding recreational turn as any little pressure problem is amplified. You can actually get a little bit of a feel for rebound and a hint of cross-overr but that is pretty much it. Outside of that, you'd be better off with a Skier's Edge.

Or, get a pair of inline skates and slalom a nicely pitched piece of pavement.  It's a lot of fun and has a very real feel.  I used to use the Taj Mahal* (fairfax county office building) parking lots after business hours.  Very quiet, good lighting and lots of choices of pitch.  

* Fairfax County has more money than imagination.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 24, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Crush wrote:

I'm guessing but would expect the technology that Pro-Fit is going use isn't the same as what existed in 1991.  The facility in Colorado that opened a year or two ago with using the same machinery has been pretty successful so far.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/21/indoor-skiing-centennial-training-tool/

crgildart
June 28, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

Xanadu/Whatever they call it this week/Meadowlands place must be managed by Lucy Van Pelt like she handles the football for Charlie Brown.  Anyone still believe that place will EVER be open for skiing??

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
June 28, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

crgildart wrote:

Xanadu/Whatever they call it this week/Meadowlands place must be managed by Lucy Van Pelt like she handles the football for Charlie Brown.  Anyone still believe that place will EVER be open for skiing??

It's called American Dream now.  The original development plan has been defunked for years.  The Canadian company that also created the Mall of America recently announced that financing is complete.  Almost $3 billion.  Should be more obvious in a year or so whether something will open in 2019.

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20170623/NJBIZ01/170629898/american-dream-completes-277b-financing-will-proceed-with-full-construction

crgildart
June 28, 2017 (edited June 28, 2017)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

marzNC wrote:

crgildart wrote:

It's called American Dream now.  The original development plan has been defunked for years.  The Canadian company that also created the Mall of America recently announced that financing is complete.  Almost $3 billion.  Should be more obvious in a year or so whether something will open in 2019.

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20170623/NJBIZ01/170629898/american-dream-completes-277b-financing-will-proceed-with-full-construction

Or... "WOLFFF!!!! WOLFFF!!!" again?   At this point I'd not buy my season pass until the 2nd year of flawless operation if I lived near there.

wgo
June 30, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?