When attitude meets altitude.
Home
Indoor Skiing coming soon near you
9 posts from 7 users
Updated 2 months ago
1,031 views
Jump to Newest Post
2 months ago

Not quite Ski Dubai, but interesting nonetheless. From the Pro-Fit folks…

http://insideski.com/

2 months ago

Bare Hills Athletic Club in north Baltimore back in the early 1990’s had s similar facility. I took a few lessons on the rotating carpet slope. It was fun. A facility like this may be more appropriate at a ski shop. Bare Hills was a tennis and athletic club. I wish them success.

 

2 months ago

Ha! I remember back around 1991 there was a gym near Sliver Spring or someplace close that had one of those and I tried it. The friction coefficient was rather high and there was no way to get anything like a carve going - good for a person who wants to work on skidding recreational turn as any little pressure problem is amplified. You can actually get a little bit of a feel for rebound and a hint of cross-overr but that is pretty much it. Outside of that, you’d be better off with a Skier’s Edge.

 

2 months ago

Crush wrote:

Ha! I remember back around 1991 there was a gym near Sliver Spring or someplace close that had one of those and I tried it. The friction coefficient was rather high and there was no way to get anything like a carve going - good for a person who wants to work on skidding recreational turn as any little pressure problem is amplified. You can actually get a little bit of a feel for rebound and a hint of cross-overr but that is pretty much it. Outside of that, you’d be better off with a Skier’s Edge.

Or, get a pair of inline skates and slalom a nicely pitched piece of pavement.  It’s a lot of fun and has a very real feel.  I used to use the Taj Mahal* (fairfax county office building) parking lots after business hours.  Very quiet, good lighting and lots of choices of pitch.  

* Fairfax County has more money than imagination.

2 months ago

Crush wrote:

Ha! I remember back around 1991 there was a gym near Sliver Spring or someplace close that had one of those and I tried it. The friction coefficient was rather high and there was no way to get anything like a carve going - good for a person who wants to work on skidding recreational turn as any little pressure problem is amplified. You can actually get a little bit of a feel for rebound and a hint of cross-overr but that is pretty much it. Outside of that, you’d be better off with a Skier’s Edge.

 

I’m guessing but would expect the technology that Pro-Fit is going use isn’t the same as what existed in 1991.  The facility in Colorado that opened a year or two ago with using the same machinery has been pretty successful so far.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/21/indoor-skiing-centennial-training-tool/

2 months ago

Xanadu/Whatever they call it this week/Meadowlands place must be managed by Lucy Van Pelt like she handles the football for Charlie Brown.  Anyone still believe that place will EVER be open for skiing??

2 months ago

crgildart wrote:

Xanadu/Whatever they call it this week/Meadowlands place must be managed by Lucy Van Pelt like she handles the football for Charlie Brown.  Anyone still believe that place will EVER be open for skiing??

It’s called American Dream now.  The original development plan has been defunked for years.  The Canadian company that also created the Mall of America recently announced that financing is complete.  Almost $3 billion.  Should be more obvious in a year or so whether something will open in 2019.

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20170623/NJBIZ01/170629898/american-dream-completes-277b-financing-will-proceed-with-full-construction

2 months ago

marzNC wrote:

crgildart wrote:

Xanadu/Whatever they call it this week/Meadowlands place must be managed by Lucy Van Pelt like she handles the football for Charlie Brown.  Anyone still believe that place will EVER be open for skiing??

It’s called American Dream now.  The original development plan has been defunked for years.  The Canadian company that also created the Mall of America recently announced that financing is complete.  Almost $3 billion.  Should be more obvious in a year or so whether something will open in 2019.

http://www.njbiz.com/article/20170623/NJBIZ01/170629898/american-dream-completes-277b-financing-will-proceed-with-full-construction

Or… “WOLFFF!!!! WOLFFF!!!” again?   At this point I’d not buy my season pass until the 2nd year of flawless operation if I lived near there.

Ad: 2017 Pro-Fit Ski & Snowboard Swaps Announced!

Snow reason not to share.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.19 seconds