Blue Knob Sold??
22 posts
11 users
6k+ views
imp - DCSki Supporter 
July 3, 2017
Member since 01/11/2007 🔗
299 posts

Heard that it is now official, group from Pittsburgh is taking over.

Scott Bender from ski history (springs then Valley) is to be running things

The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
July 3, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts

This will be good for BK skiing as long as the buyers put money modernizing the resort and take max advantage of the opportunities offered by the site.

Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
July 4, 2017
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts

We've been hearing that rumor for a while now. Former manager Doug Houk said they float that one every year to try to sell some condos and passes. Let's see if this time it's true.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 4, 2017
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

Laurel Hill Crazie wrote:

We've been hearing that rumor for a while now. Former manager Doug Houk said they float that one every year to try to sell some condos and passes. Let's see if this time it's true.

I had a long time BK ski patroller who lives near me tell me a few weeks ago that a sale may happen soon.  But I'm kind of like LHC, I'll believe it when I see it.  If Mr. Bender brings some strong experience in the ski biz to help run BK that can only be good.

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
crgildart
July 7, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

I'm for whatever form of management and investment level keeps the crowds low and prices lower on average.If I was looking for a high teck, highly popular, super crowded state of the art ski experience I'd go to Snowshoe or Vail.

As for uphill transport, I'll take a slower ride up while sitting down over a faster ride up but possible longer wait standing in the line at the bottom of a high speed detachable.  My legs appreciate longer breaks between runs, especially longer runs.

wgo
July 13, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
SCWVA
July 13, 2017
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts
Did the sale include the golf course?
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
July 13, 2017
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts

According to a web site that tracks companies in PA, Sustainable Hospitality & Development, LP was created in February 2015. It is a domestic limited partnership with offices at 301 Grant Street in  Pittsburgh. There are 2 other compainies that share the same address including SHD Management, LLC. I wonder if these are the same group, with a different name, that tried to buy Hidden Valley from Buncher and then fund development using the EB5 visa program (same program used by Jay Peake to fund development).

July 13, 2017
2,038 posts

imp got the scoop on this one. It looks like it might be too late to get the capital in place to do the proposed improvements. The DCNR is on board with the lease transfer. No mention of DCNR funds going into improvements at this time. As the article states, only the top of the mountain is within the state park and I think that includes the lodge and maintenance/snowmaking buildings, and land around the unload terminals. It would be nice if the could increase pump and pressure to get faster coverage. I hope it all works out.

Blue Knob didn't open until 1963/64 but it has a very good blood line to the earliest history of the sport in the United States, that being the person regarded to be the Father of American Skiing, Otto Schneibs. who famously proclaimed, "Skiing is not just a sport, it is way of life." Otto was the first Arlberg trained ski instructor in the US. He came to Boston in 1927 and soon his popular demonstrations and lessons lead him to the coaching spot for the Yale Ski Team which became the collegiate powerhouse, Otto is one of America's the most influential  ski pioneers.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 14, 2017 (edited July 14, 2017)
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts

This is exciting.  I wish the new group success and thank the old group for staying the course over so many years.  While Blue Knob never seemed to get past the diamond in the rough stage, it's still a diamond and can shine brightly with a little polish.

LHC, what was Otto Schneibs role in the development of Blue Knob?

July 15, 2017
2,038 posts

Otto laid out the original trails, just as his mentor, Hannes Schneider, did at Laurel.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
July 15, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

It was Dartmouth, specifically the Dartmouth outing club that led the development of skiing in the US prior to WW2.  Schneibs coached the Dartmouth ski team.  Perhaps he coached at Yale at some point, but it was Dartmouth that was key to US skiing in those years.

July 15, 2017
2,038 posts

Denis wrote:

It was Dartmouth, specifically the Dartmouth outing club that led the development of skiing in the US prior to WW2.  Schneibs coached the Dartmouth ski team.  Perhaps he coached at Yale at some point, but it was Dartmouth that was key to US skiing in those years.

Dartmouth, not Yale. You are correct. My mistake..

July 16, 2017
1,576 posts

It would seem that if the new owners need to borrow $2.5 million to build a terrain park, they must not have deep pockets.

crgildart
July 16, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

snowsmith wrote:

It would seem that if the new owners need to borrow $2.5 million to build a terrain park, they must not have deep pockets.

They've had a terrain park one trail over from where the NASTAR Route 66 course reaides for at least the past 5 seasons.  What are they doing, building a Super Pipe??

July 17, 2017
1,576 posts

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/other-sports/2017/07/17/Blue-Knob-resort-purchased-by-Pittsburgh-investors/stories/201707170107

Interesting article. It seems that at least 2 of the management or investment team were part of the group that tried to buy HV.

July 18, 2017
2,038 posts

It sounds like a solid crew. Perhaps they have the wherewithal to polish that diamond in the rough that we all know BK to be.

Here's the link to the Post-Gazette article by Larry Walsh:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/other-sports/2017/07/17/Blue-Knob-resort-purchased-by-Pittsburgh-investors/stories/201707170107

imp - DCSki Supporter 
July 19, 2017
299 posts

The lawyer has been trying to get a ski area for years, talked to Dupre's before nutting, talked to Kettlers before Buncher then to buncher before Springs.

Hope it works out for them

imp

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
July 26, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Nothing new in this SAM article, but makes it feel like the sale is more real now that it's been recognized by a ski industry management organization.

http://www.saminfo.com/headline-news/8914-blue-knob-pa-acquired-by-investment-group

Be interesting to see when the new website is ready.

imp - DCSki Supporter 
July 26, 2017
299 posts

that is Larry Walsh's article from the Pittsburgh Post Gazzette in sam without credit

August 14, 2017
1,576 posts

Hey Scott - how about interviewing Scott Bender about this groups plans for BK. I am sure they would appreciate some free publicity.

RodneyBD - DCSki Supporter 
August 16, 2017
Member since 12/21/2004 🔗
259 posts

snowsmith wrote:

Hey Scott - how about interviewing Scott Bender about this groups plans for BK. I am sure they would appreciate some free publicity.

Great idea.  This is fantastic news for DC skiers, especially those of us who live in MD suburbs.  If they can manage to make some snow and deliver some reliable cover I think there are a lot of folks who will be willing drive up the interstate from Montgomery/Howard/Frederick county.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?