We Like This Winter Forecast for Canaan Valley
11 posts
8 users
3k+ views
Canaan Valley Resort
November 6, 2017
Member since 11/21/2015 🔗
57 posts

Let’s hope that AccuWeather is, well, accurate. According to the site, this winter in our region will be colder than the last two with predictions for “an above-normal snow season.”

Our mountain manager Mike Chaney says an average winter combined with our beefed-up snowmaking capacity would result in our best skiing in years. Frankly, we would be thrilled with a plain old “normal” winter, but we will not complain if predictions of some Arctic blasts of cold air come to fruition.

What are you hearing?

fishnski
November 6, 2017
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

Im seeing a very much above snow cover up over Canada and creeping down to the US.....the snow cover is building up very cold air so its just a matter of time and luck with a good weather pattern to see it down in the Land of Canaan...the Crown Jewel of the Wv Alpps!....

jimmy
November 7, 2017
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts

I was over at Canaan's ski area on Saturday. I tell you they are ready to go BLOW. All the snowmaking equipment is in place hooked up and ready to make white. Won't be long now......................

crgildart
November 7, 2017
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

jimmy wrote:

I was over at Canaan's ski area on Saturday. I tell you they are ready to go BLOW. All the snowmaking equipment is in place hooked up and ready to make white. Won't be long now......................

Did ya apply for a job there?

snapdragon
November 8, 2017
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

I heard there was gonna be a new mayor at CVR this winter.

SCWVA
November 10, 2017
Member since 07/13/2004 🔗
1,052 posts

Canaan Valley Resort wrote:

....Our mountain manager Mike Chaney says an average winter combined with our beefed-up snowmaking capacity would result in our best skiing in years. ....

Please tell us about your beefed-up snowmaking system.  Is this new for this season?

camp
November 10, 2017
Member since 01/30/2005 🔗
660 posts

SCWVA wrote:

Canaan Valley Resort wrote:

....Our mountain manager Mike Chaney says an average winter combined with our beefed-up snowmaking capacity would result in our best skiing in years. ....

Please tell us about your beefed-up snowmaking system.  Is this new for this season?

Becuz, that forecast wasn't really all that great - even for the Valley.

Canaan Valley Resort
November 13, 2017
Member since 11/21/2015 🔗
57 posts

Thanks for asking. We’re upping our snowmaking capacity 20 percent for the 2017/2018 season after doubling our snowmaking last year. Last year we arranged for demo snow guns ”“ 12 stick guns and six airless guns -- and we were so pleased with the results that we bought the demo guns as well as four additional fan guns, giving us 22 snowmaking units.

Mike Chaney and his team were also able to improve ways to source and transfer water for better coverage of the runs and trails.

We’re ready for the season. Hope you are too. The skiing fun begins on Dec. 15

snapdragon
November 13, 2017
Member since 01/27/2015 🔗
346 posts

Super stoked for the upcoming season. BRING IT!!!

fishnski
November 13, 2017
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts

gonna be a cold snowy TGiving this year...Hopefully the same Dec 15th....

chaga
November 13, 2017
Member since 11/24/2009 🔗
646 posts

Gravy Dave the mechanic from Blackwater was out makin' the snow on the sled run, Friday/Sat in that deep cold snap, and sent these sweet sunrise shots!! 

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.