Snowshoe Improvements for 17/18
24 posts
8 users
5k+ views
Bonzski
November 12, 2017
Member since 10/21/2015 🔗
652 posts

Some new low-e guns on Shays, new air & water lines, new groomer, minor trail adjustments.  More info here

Bonzski
December 6, 2017
652 posts

New guns under test for next season?

Check them out on Heisler

eggraid
December 7, 2017
Member since 02/9/2010 🔗
510 posts

Let's hope these are a teaser for what is to come. Looked like a beautiful day to be on the slopes

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
December 7, 2017 (edited December 7, 2017)
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

I have a buddy there today.  He says they are really laying it down and pics don't lie.

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
AndyGene
December 7, 2017
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

Are they making snow on Cupp run yet?

wgo
December 7, 2017
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts

AndyGene wrote:

Was just about to ask that! Snowshoe does a good job with the webcams  (you can see Grabhammer looks pretty good) but it would be good if they had one on the Western Territory side as well.

Bill

December 7, 2017
1,580 posts

AndyGene wrote:

My buddy's going to check and see later today.   I have 2 fellow homeowners there right now.  They are torturing me and texting pic after pic.

December 7, 2017
1,580 posts

AndyGene wrote:

From my friend at 2:30 PM

Not blowing snow yet on Cupp but they are preparing the way. This is the top of PowderMonkey lift. Said they will start tomorrow or this weekend over on cupp.  

wgo
December 7, 2017
1,666 posts

If they start this weekend on Cupp is there any chance it will be open by next weekend?

Bonzski
December 8, 2017
652 posts

wgo wrote:

If they start this weekend on Cupp is there any chance it will be open by next weekend?

I say it's a slim chance given they'll be working many other parts of the mountain in parallel.  But for sure by the following weekend.

wgo
December 8, 2017 (edited December 8, 2017)
1,666 posts

Too bad, I will be there Dec 16-17. Oh well I guess I'll just have to make another trip again a few days later.

Bill

oddballstocks
December 8, 2017
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

Check out their Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BcbBWSXlr_6/?taken-by=snowshoemtn

"Our snowmakers are taking full advantage of the best early-season snowmaking window we’ve seen in several years! We are working primarily on Central Basin trails at the moment, including Grabhammer, Logslide, and Whistlepunk. Expect those to open in the next 2-4 days. By tomorrow afternoon, we will be making snow on Cupp Run as well as “The X” (Flume/Hootenanny). If the weather holds, expect Soaring Eagle lift and the “X” to open for next weekend, Dec. 16th. Cupp Run should open shortly after that. Silver Creek, and the tubing hill, are on track to open by next Friday, Dec. 15. And to top it all off, we’ve got several good chances for natural snow over the next couple of weeks. The mountain is calling!"

December 8, 2017
1,580 posts

Cupp Run 2 PM - Pics don't lie

AndyGene
December 11, 2017
Member since 09/9/2013 🔗
229 posts

The Facebook tells me Cupp is opening for business on Friday!

wgo
December 11, 2017
1,666 posts
Yes!
oddballstocks
December 12, 2017
Member since 02/11/2017 🔗
123 posts

The amount of terrain open this early in the season is encouraging!  I'm hoping they can get a significant base down to weather the January thaw/rains that we always see.

I'm tempted to head down there next week once Cupp is open for an early season day.  Based on the webcams and what they've said on Instagram it looks like by this weekend most of the front-side plus Cupp will be open.  

December 12, 2017
1,580 posts

oddballstocks wrote:

I'm tempted to head down there next week once Cupp is open for an early season day.  Based on the webcams and what they've said on Instagram it looks like by this weekend most of the front-side plus Cupp will be open.  

A couple friends of mine are they and they said they are still blowing a lot of snow in the basin area.  My son is heading down Wed and I'll be there on Thu afternoon.  At the rate they are going, my hope is that they have at least 30 of their 60ish trails open by Fri and Sat.

Nice to see some natural snow falling right now.  That helps those "chamber of commerce" photos that guests love to see.  

wgo
December 12, 2017
1,666 posts

I'll be there with the familly this sat/sun. Given the conditions and the general stoke I am sensing I am expecting closer to mid-season crowds than early season crowds - what do you all think?

December 12, 2017
1,580 posts

wgo wrote:

I'll be there with the familly this sat/sun. Given the conditions and the general stoke I am sensing I am expecting closer to mid-season crowds than early season crowds - what do you all think?

I agree.  Sat may require us to follow the "Snowshoe Weekend Plan".

• Rope drop in the basin. 
  • Move to Soaring Eagle Area  / Western Terr once Ballhooter fills up. 
  • Silver Creek at / after lunch

All depends on what is open and how crowded it really is.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 12, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

wgo wrote:

Perhaps a little busier, but not like mid-season.  Too many families already have their weekends booked with kid-related activities closer to home.

rbrtlav
December 12, 2017
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

Powder monkey had 25 minute waits for a while this past weekend while ballhooter was less than 5...if you are going to western you may want to plan accordingly. There is a short walk you can take from the parking lot just past shavers center to the top of powder monkey if you want to avoid that lift. I suspect with soaring eagle and western open the only lines more than 10 mins will be powder monkey.

Bonzski
May 16, 2018
652 posts

In the recent Snowshoe newsletter, Frank menioned another $3M of capital for facility improvements to: employee housing, rental shop, sugar shack, etc.

Bonzski
November 21, 2018
652 posts

In the season's first "This Week On The Mountain", several other updates were mentioned...

You know all about the new snowmaking sytem but we’ve been expanding in other areas too. A new lodging operation, new rental options and new restaurants!

The Brigham Collection has a new base of operations on Rt. 66 across from the Inn at Snowshoe. and right next door is our new rental shop! Base Mountain Equipment Rentals adds a unique touch to the ski and snowboard rental experience by offering delivery service to your room. We’ve also given Top of The World Rentals a full remodel that will improve the guest experience and flow of the shop. Icing on the cake? It now has a Winterstieger Tuning Machine and new Rental Equipment from Head and Burton.

Hungry? We’ve brought back Sunset Cantina in a new location on the lower level of Mountain Lodge. Along with the brand new Zenkei. Located at the old South Mountain Grille in Soaring Eagle, Zenkei will offer sushi and Japanese-American cuisine. Both are slated to open in December.

rbrtlav
November 21, 2018 (edited November 21, 2018)
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts

The trail map at the top of ballhooter now has an electronic version of the snow report and a small led display for messages. I’m hoping there is some way they can mark which lifts have waits  over 15 minutes...but I couldn’t tell

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.