Powder Day, Kirkwood 11/27
6 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 27, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts

I’m retired, and so can ski weekdays, and be a storm chaser.  A moderately big storm passed through central CA yesterday.  As I drove up here (S Lake Tahoe) I almost gave it up.  Driving rain, fog, and 100 ft. Visibility.  Just as I was about to do that it abated.  As often happens in the Sierra, the early part of the storm was warm with heavy rain.  Then, about 2 am, the temperature dropped and the last few hours of the storm were snow, albeit after 3/4 of the precipitation had fallen as rain.  Expectations were not high, but I was here.  New snow at the 7800 foot base was 7”, but depth increased rapidly with altitude.  The normally groomed runs were chop but the edges, and the open areas of the woods were light glorious powder.  I had a fantastic time until about 1:30 pm when the powder turned to glop seemingly in the duration of one lift ride.  My legs were failing anyway so I quit, tired and happy.  There is nothing like the feel of skis gliding through powder.

kemperski - DCSki Supporter 
November 27, 2017
Member since 11/10/2013 🔗
228 posts

That sounds awesome -- i'd drive a day for a couple of hours of that.  Congrats and hope you have many more... hope I do too

oldensign - DCSki Columnist
November 28, 2017 (edited November 28, 2017)
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts

Love Kirkwood mostly becuase no one ever goes there!

One day I hope to be retired and living in Tahoe!

Headed to Stowe this weekend...but it is not the same thing. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2017
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

oldensign wrote:

Love Kirkwood mostly becuase no one ever goes there!

One day I hope to be retired and living in Tahoe!

Headed to Stowe this weekend...but it is not the same thing. 

If you would like first hand comments about skiing in the northeast, check out the new regional ski forum Northeast Mountain Sports.  Sounds like northern VT should be getting snow soon.

Denis - DCSki Supporter 
November 29, 2017
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
JohnL
November 29, 2017
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts

Keep skiing it Denis!

One of these decades I’ll retire and do what you’re doing. But I did get 49 days last season (not that many in the Mid A), so I’m getting mine....

I may need your input for a couple of upcoming trips; I’ll email you if address still the same. Skinny: maybe a few days tree skiing in Quebec over NYE (Orford, Owls Head, Bromount?) and flying to Spokane for 6 days skiing in mid Jan. Off the beaten track.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?