Face up to your face plants.
Home
Upper and Lower Shays
23 posts from 15 users
Updated yesterday
1,664 views
Jump to Newest Post
23 days ago

SS announced that Upper Shays s/b open by Sat then they will start on Lower Shays.

They have a cam at Arbuckles that they do not share on their website.  I see the snow gun running in the distance on Lower Shays

Arbuckles Cam

23 days ago

Bookmarked!

23 days ago

wgo wrote:

Bookmarked!

Not sure it is reliable.  One day I looked and it was pointng up in the sky …..

23 days ago

We just got CityNet cable installed at our condo in Snowshoe, and they have 5-6 channels with webcams. Besides the usual Boathouse/Ballhooter, Lake/Basin, Silver Creek lifts, Skidder, there were also cams at Western Territory base (the one linked to in this thread), Powder Monkey lift line, Grabhammer lift line, and couple on slopes that were closed with no snow, one which was labeled ‘Terrain Park’. It was great at lunch to take a peek at the relative crowd size at each lift (except Soaring Eagle) to help decide where to start the afternoon.

17 days ago

I skied 5 days last week (Wed- Sun).  Every day at Slivercreek except the last day on Shays and Cupp.  The snow on Shays is in such great shape.  Large whales on lower Shays, and they were still blowing on Monday, so I expect it will open before this weekend.

17 days ago

eggraid wrote:

We just got CityNet cable installed at our condo in Snowshoe, and they have 5-6 channels with webcams. Besides the usual Boathouse/Ballhooter, Lake/Basin, Silver Creek lifts, Skidder, there were also cams at Western Territory base (the one linked to in this thread), Powder Monkey lift line, Grabhammer lift line, and couple on slopes that were closed with no snow, one which was labeled ‘Terrain Park’. It was great at lunch to take a peek at the relative crowd size at each lift (except Soaring Eagle) to help decide where to start the afternoon.

I found that cam you mentioned near Powder Monkey 

 

16 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

eggraid wrote:

We just got CityNet cable installed at our condo in Snowshoe, and they have 5-6 channels with webcams. Besides the usual Boathouse/Ballhooter, Lake/Basin, Silver Creek lifts, Skidder, there were also cams at Western Territory base (the one linked to in this thread), Powder Monkey lift line, Grabhammer lift line, and couple on slopes that were closed with no snow, one which was labeled ‘Terrain Park’. It was great at lunch to take a peek at the relative crowd size at each lift (except Soaring Eagle) to help decide where to start the afternoon.

I found that cam you mentioned near Powder Monkey 

 

Looks like nice conditions today

13 days ago

Bonzski wrote:

… Large whales on lower Shays, and they were still blowing on Monday, so I expect it will open before this weekend.

Was not open as of today

13 days ago
Is today
3 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

They have a cam at Arbuckles that they do not share on their website.  I see the snow gun running in the distance on Lower Shays

Arbuckles Cam

I had some mindless clerical work to do today so I was creeping on the SS webcams at my desk.  I had that Arbuckles Cam open from 2:45 - 3:00 today and did not see a single skier or boarder go to the lift.  The poor lift guy was putzing around sweeping / shoveling snow near the loading zone.

I need to retire soon so I can ski on Tuesdays and have the place to myself.  FWIW - it’s snowing at a decent clip at the shoe today.  

 

3 days ago

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

They have a cam at Arbuckles that they do not share on their website.  I see the snow gun running in the distance on Lower Shays

Arbuckles Cam

I had some mindless clerical work to do today so I was creeping on the SS webcams at my desk.  I had that Arbuckles Cam open from 2:45 - 3:00 today and did not see a single skier or boarder go to the lift.  The poor lift guy was putzing around sweeping / shoveling snow near the loading zone.

I need to retire soon so I can ski on Tuesdays and have the place to myself.  FWIW - it’s snowing at a decent clip at the shoe today.  

 

I only ski Snowshoe mid-week, Tuesday or Wednesday if possible.  The mid-week crowds are great, a very different group.  Although I was once there midweek in March during some college spring break.  That trip was a bust.

Here’s a tip someone shared with me.  They used to get up early, answer emails all morning then go skiing.  Then when they got back they answered emails all evening.  Said he did this for decades, kept getting promoted. His employer thought he was a work horse, always up early, always working late.  Said he hit every powder storm that came through SLC.

After learning this I did it a few times when I had an employer, I’d try to spread my work and get things done earlier/later in the week.  Would do emails and calls early/late and skied.  Never had any issues.  Always had excellent reviews, so it is possible and it works.

3 days ago

Wasn’t sure where to put this, but then this thread popped up, and it seemed the most appropriate.

My family skied Snowshoe over MLK Weekend (per the other threads) and had a great time.  The 7 y/o did 2 days in the top ability group of Kid’s World, and her skiing progressed back to where she finished last season, even exceeding it.  The 3 y/o did pre-ski 2 days with a 1 hour lesson each day, and loved it.  The wife and I skied Saturday and had a great time (for most of it), and she skied by herself on a beautiful blue bird Sunday (with several inches of fresh snow), and 4 hours with our daught on Monday (also beautiful).

Unfortunately, we skied Lower Shay’s on our last run Saturday afternoon before picking our daughter up from Kid’s World.  It was ungroomed, but there were no bumps.  I skied it fast with GS turns, but near the bottom of the steep part (right before it flattens out), my right binding pre-released at speed while I was in the middle of a carved turn and leaned way over.  I went down, and skidded off the skier’s right side of the run, off the snowmaking, through some blackberry bushes (got pretty cut up, even through a thick jacket), and stopped maybe 25 yards off the run.  Doing the “Ok, does everything work” body check, I realized I couldn’t lift my right arm.

I slowly climbed back up, got my skis and poles (with the help of a nice family), and skied down to meet my wife and friend.  We rode Western Express back up, and I walked to the first aid center, where I received great care, a sling for my arm, a bag of snow, and the advice not to ski the rest of the trip, and to see an orthopedist when I returned to NOVA.

So Sunday and Monday, I worked with the 3 y/o while the rest of the fam skied, and actually had a great time.  In addition to his 1 hour lesson on Sunday, I had him on the magic carpet for 90 minutes or so that afternoon, and another 2 hours mid-day Monday.  He loved it, and we had a blast.

The bad news is that I just saw the ortho this morning, and was dismayed to hear that I have a broken upper arm (right near my shoulder), and a 30% chance my rotator cuff is torn.  I have airfare, 5 nights non-refundable luxury hotel, and lift tickets for Vail (was supposed to leave in 9 days).  Was told that can’t happen under any circumstance, and the earliest I will be cleared to ski again is mid-March, after 4 weeks of healing and another 4 weeks of PT.  So, I’m in the process of unwinding that stuff and salvaging what I can (I’m hoping the hotel will let me at least move the dates, but they don’t have to).  

I also have a season pass to Snowshoe I now can’t use for the bulk of the season (I got about 4 hours total), and an advantage card to Whitetail I used twice.  What’s that they say about man making plans and the gods laughing?  I guess the important part is I’m relatively healthy (no ACL tears or anything) with a good prognosis on the shoulder, and if get lucky, will not need surgery on the rotator cuff.

The worst part is that my wife and I spoke before this trip that the primary goal was not to get hurt before our vacation to Vail, which is why I stayed out of the park.  Crazy also that it happened the exact same day I got hurt last year (Sat of MLK weekend); I think I’ll sit that weekend out next year…

2 days ago

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope you can work something out with Vail. It might be worth giving Snowshoe a call to see if they will give you some sort of credit to next year’s pass. A longshot but it would not hurt to ask. When I got hurt for the season a few years ago Massanutten went ahead and refunded me the entire cost of my season pass. So you never know.

 

2 days ago

Reisen I feel for you.  I had a partial tear of my rotator cuff last February which then turned into frozen shoulder.  This injury still has me in PT but I’m 90% + now and have been skiing since December.  Important to get as much PT over time which will get your shoulder back to full strength and functionality.  MRI will determine the soft tissue ligament damage.  Be patient as the shoulder is a much more complex joint than our knee.  Hope you have a full recovery and have many great days of skiing in your future!

2 days ago

Thanks for the well wishes, all.  I at least feel better that the Snowshoe pass is so cheap (ridiculous pass), and that it came with a free kid’s pass (my daughter got to ski all 3 days).  If all goes according to plan, we’ll take another family trip in mid-March if I’m cleared to ski by my ortho and PT goes well.  So we’ll get a few more days out of the pass.  We’ll also re-up passes for next year when they go on sale late next month.

I’m fortunate that my sister-in-law is a physical therapist, and treats this kind of injury frequently.  However, she’s pregnant and due in a few weeks, so I’ll likely wind up working with someone else at her practice.  She’s promised I’ll get VIP treatment, though.  

My lean now is to try to move the Vail trip to end-of-March, during Fairfax County spring break, and bring the kids (it was going to be a romantic trip for just me and my wife).  Vail puts 3 y/o’s in ski school, and my son will be 3 years and 7 months.  The downside is we’re adding a huge amount to the cost (adding 2 more RT airfare, $460 per day plus tax and tip for ski school for the two kids).   

Speaking of ski school prices, here are a few I’m familiar with (all of these are prices without rentals):

- Snowshoe - $130 (if you have a pass for the kid)

- Whitetail - $175

- Mammoth - $200

- Whistler - $200

- Vail - $230

 

All are expensive, but Snowshoe seems a bargain.

2 days ago

Flew over the bike handlebars, landed totally on the Right shoulder = tore the rotator cuff right off the bone and tore other tissue. Had arthroscopic surgery. They screwed an anchor to the bone and sewed it back on to it. Three months in a sling (twice-a-week therapy sessions), 6 months of self therapy twice-a-day). Surgeon said I’d be back to normal in one year. He said: “Don’t push it, don’t start back too soon, don’t chance re-injuring it, as it is really hard to sew ground meat back together!”.One year later = on the bench press. Unfortunately..a year after that - tore the Left side on the bench and had to do the exact same procedure on that side!!!

Point is - don’t push it to get back. All you need is a snowboarder to take you out before it is 100% healed!

2 days ago

So you were benchpressing a snowboarder…how much much did they weigh?

2 days ago
I have 2 shot shouders that are bone to bone..one is bone so wore off Doc is concerned he has enough to reconstruct…I have lived with the pain for years and I have put off shoulder replacement surgery till after ski season..starting with sports and then Hard heavy lifting jobs my whole life did it…too great of a skier to have that being the cause!..nah…ive had my falls!…so I feel ya…keep on dealin with the healin Reisen and others!….guess im going to have to go to a cane pole for fishing this summer..wont be able to reel…
2 days ago

Good luck with a speedy recovery Reisen!

2 days ago

jimmy wrote:

Good luck with a speedy recovery Reisen!

+1

+1, I hope that you feel better soon, and that the trip works out Reisen!

Denis - DCSki Supporter
yesterday

Heal well Reisen.  I’ve been there too and will be cheering for you.

yesterday

I feel your pain. I had a bone spur cut through 75% of my tendon. I had rotator cuff surgery as well as removal of the spur. It took about a year of therapy and my shoulder was as good as new. In 2010, I was hit by a car, flew through the air and landed on the same arm. The shoulder held up but I shattered my elbow joint. After 2 surgerys, 10 titanium screws and a year of therapy, my arm functions. My wife broke the same bone near here shoulder joint during our Copper Mtn ski trip 2 years ago. She did not do it skiing; she fell out of the shower!!!!!!! She is fully recovered and has no rotator cuff issues.

You’ll need to take less risk and perhaps ski less aggresively. Save your self to ski another day.

Ad: Canaan Valley Resort

Speak truth to powder.
If you'd like to share your own comments, please log in to DCSki.
Don't have a profile? Create one here.
Page load time: 0.20 seconds